#illridewithyou

Just curious, about 8% of Americans will typically commit a crime this year (that includes petty crimes as well as violent crimes), with 0.01% by firearms and 0.004% intentional homicide. In NJ, 0.3% of us will commit a violent crime, 0.004% murder and non-violent manslaughter, 0.01% forcible rape, 0.13% robbery, 0.15% aggravated assault and 2.1% a property crime.

Why is it that the news fed to us daily is about crime (at a much higher percentage than actuality), and why is it that so many people talk and act like there's nothing but bad people in the world? Reality is much different, which is why stories like this are refreshing (thanks Gadfly):

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-30479306

I'm in the majority, and #illridewithyou. The rest of you can find your own way.

justintime justintime
Dec '14

The majority of people in the world have good hearts and good intentions as they go through life. The media no longer reports news. They use news to entertain. So if someone sat glued to their tv watching coverage of the looting in Ferguson, the situation in Australia, and now the school killings in Pakistan, they are telling the business world that they prefer to see violence. I now keep up to date on world happenings, and change the channel after I get the basic information. I will not support the reporting of violence as entertainment. There is a world of good. I prefer the reality of that world.

Some of us have been saying this for years, JIT.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '14

The news thrives on negative stories, if you watched and believed everything the news said, it would put you in a very negative state, which is the reason why I rarely ever watch the news. Unfortunately, the news has the ability to sway general decision on topics by the way they portray it.

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

As do some of the threads here on HL

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Dec '14

So true, Clyde P.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Dec '14

Absolutly Clyde, Many people have leaned to thrive on negative, and have forgotten what positive stories are. So often even positive stories are brought up, even on this forum, all people can do is find the negative within the story. If there is no negative within the story, many people make up their own "what if" stories based on a negative influance

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

So a thread of people complaining about the negativity of the world. You can't make this stuff up. SMH

I think you've mistaken the point of the thread BLD. The point is that not everyone is as bad as implied by what's reported on the news. Besides, there's only one complaint on the thread so far from what I see.

justintime justintime
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.