Home Renovation - Contractor Referrals

Hello Everyone,

I have searched the forum and see this has been a discussion in past but not many recent posts so I was hoping to get some current help on local trusted contractors that can do bathroom and home renovations. I have been burned before using websites and magazines so hoping word of mouth can help me through this time...I appreciate any recommendations thank you!

pitcherunner36 pitcherunner36
Dec '14

I would recommend Bob Noone at Northern Handyman Services- Phone 908-475-2675. He can do any type of contracting or plumbing work...even odd jobs. He is reasonable and very honest and hard working.

joyful joyful
Dec '14

Bob Noone is NOT a licensed plumber BEWARE!!

Bob Bouno Bob Bouno
Dec '14

The Healthy Handyman He is local and well liked here. 908-887-8078

Bob Noone may not be a licensed plumber. Bob Bouno, and he will tell you that upfront himself but he is a licensed contractor for the state of New Jersey. In fact I have his business card in front of me with this info on the card.. He does know about all types of plumbing and electrical problems, however, and will tell you if the job requires a specialized (licensed) plumber or electrician. All I am saying is he is good at what he does and very knowlegeable...You could never meet a more friendly and kind person. We just called him out of the blue and wound up having a very good friend now as well...

joyful joyful
Dec '14

Vinnie @ north mt. Plumbing & heating is great!! (862) 266-6096

Happy home owner
Dec '14

Hennessey Home Improvements
Tim Hennessey
Long Valley, NJ 07853 -
Phone: (908) 876-5701

Beautiful work - fair and honest -- has reasonable and reliable plumber and electrician who work with him when needed

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

There are some good contractors out there . . . and some really bad ones. And even some of the good ones are not good at all types of work. I won't offer any particular names, but a bit of advice.

A good contractor probably won't give you the lowest price you can find. But he will explain to you why he's worth it, because he'll explain the steps of the process and what's involved, and he'll explain various options available to you (and their advantages and disadvantages). Also, if you're not familiar with building work, it's safest to file a building permit (when one is required), so at least your work will be inspected. And finally, while it makes sense for a contractor to ask for some money up front, the best way to help guarantee a good job is to not pay him for more than half the labor, before the job is finished, and if there is a problem, feel free to dispute it.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Dec '14

Roff Roofing and Renovations 908-914-1200 or 877-690-3161

Very reasonable and reliable

Email: jroffroofing@comcast.net

Local company (Hackettstown) 25 years experience

Major credit cards accepted. Licensed and insured

Cliff R Cliff R
Dec '14

I have found it hard to get someone to come to the house, either the job is too small and or come to give you a quote and never show up when they say they will. Hard to find a handyman.

Giants Giants
Dec '14

@joyful: can't find Bob Noone or Northern Handyman Services here:
https://newjersey.mylicense.com/verification/

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Dec '14

On The Edge...I have his card in front of me and it states:
Northern Handyman Services
Bob Noone
Belvidere, New Jersey
Bus. 908-475-2675
NJ HIC#13VH07367000
PA HC#PA1011445

joyful joyful
Dec '14

@joyful....needed an LLC in the name to find it. Thank you. It is registered as:

Name: Northern Handyman Services LLC
Address: Belvidere,NJ
Profession/License Type: Home Improvement Contractors,Home Improvement Contractor
License No: 13VH07367000
License Status: Active
Status Change Reason: License Issuance
Issue Date: 4/10/2013
Expiration Date: 3/31/2015

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Dec '14

Bob Noone is not licensed to do plumbing or electrical in any nj home. It is against NJ state law to advertise these services without a license number listed on the web site. He is deceiving potential customers. It doesn't matter that he "refers" them to a lisensed professiona if he can't do the job. Check with the NJ DCA for yourself.

Bob bouno Bob bouno
Dec '14

Home improvement contractor is a registration not a license. Just send the state of NJ the money and you get one. It is not a lisensed to do or advertise plumbing or electrical PERIOD!

Bob bouno Bob bouno
Dec '14

any recommendations for a deck builder. Looking to have appro 25X25 ft deck - ground level (10" off ground) - thanks

margaret margaret
Mar '15

Looking to have a small bathroom totally redone. Recommendations?

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '15

has anyone any feedback on Valley Elegance on Mountain Avenue?

justsayin justsayin
Sep '15

Wayne @ L &W. 908-637-6345.

happycamper happycamper
Sep '15

justsayin - Use the Forum Search at the top of the page. Valley has been discussed in 5 past threads. This one is the latest:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/662358

I used Valley Elegance about 3 years ago for new kitchen counter tops. They did a great job coming when they said they would to measure and install. They were all very nice to work with.

Savage Savage
Sep '15

Ed Mathesius 100 Asbury Rd. Hackettstown, (actually Independence Township) 852-1113.

If you want quality work, he's your man. He is meticulous with everything he does. But if you want/need your job done quickly, don't call him. He does excellent work, but takes forever to do it. I had a remodeling job done by him and it is beautiful, done exactly to my specifications, but he took forever to get it done.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Sep '15

Applegate Construction (908)310-7348 beautiful work, licensed local contractor.
www.applegateconstructionllc.com

Thanks all

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '15

My husband works for Steel Penn - they are a very reputable company.

http://www.steelpenn.com/

Lauren Smith Lauren Smith
Sep '15

Have contacted 3 local contractors.
Doing a "rehab" Morgage on a home purchase. All 3 came out right away to look at the job. Getting the estimate in writing is a different story! Are they all so well off that they don't care about getting work? Can't get an appraisal until we have an estimate. Any suggestions??

Cadb, a good estimate can (and should) take time. Writing an estimate entails getting prices for supplies at various locations (and waiting on that from lumber yards, etc), speaking with sub-contractors and getting prices from them (which can take a bit as well), going to various suppliers with specs and getting prices from them, etc.

I don't know how long you have been waiting, but in my profession (property management) I deal with contractors everyday and depending on the scope of work, I have had detailed estimates take up to 3 weeks (on large projects). A small job (like a few doors replaced or a vanity put in a bathroom for instance) should only take 3 or 4 days, to give the contractor time to price everything out and estimate time and materials.

Heidi Heidi
Jul '16

I am looking for a guy who can do all.....small masonry, carpentry, yard work......"jack of all trades" and reasonably priced......any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

It is also worth noting that getting the estimate right is important to both the customer and the contractor. If he prices it too high, he may lose the job to someone else. If he prices it too low, he could end up losing a lot of money on the job. And the bigger the job, the more variables involved.

In addition, the estimate needs to be worded fairly carefully, as it essentially becomes a legal contract. So, if the contractor words it wrong, it could come back to haunt him. A customer could refuse to pay all or part of what is billed, simply because the contractor neglected to specify something in the estimate, and the contractor may have to just eat the loss.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Jul '16

I agree that a bigger job would require more time to get an accurate estimate, but definitely should not take weeks. If a person is experienced in their field, they are familiar with the prices of the materials used daily. Most would already have a "ballpark" figure in their head that just needs some fine tuning and then of course put into written form.
Many times when they come to look at your job, they are currently working on a job or have other work lined up before they would be able to do yours anyway. Unfortunately this means they either haven't had time to sit down and put it all together or they just simply don't see the need to get it done until they are nearing the end of their current job and ready for the next.

Rochelle Remodelling. Great guys. Clean, amazing work and gets it done right the first time!!
https://m.facebook.com/rochelleremodeling

Fixitup
Jul '16

Found this great new website:

https://www.thumbtack.com/

DD's Pad DD's Pad
Jul '16

Has anyone had success with the Thumbtack site that DD's Pad gave? Trying to get an idea of what it would cost to put down laminate flooring in 2 small rooms. Already have the flooring, just looking for installation.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '16

I tried Thumbtack and did not find anyone in the price range I though was acceptable. I found local guys for 2/3 of the Thumbtack estimates. We made a 1/2 bath into a full, were looking for framing and plumbing it that helps.

lots of really bad reviews of thumbtack online......I wouldn't use it.........

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.