Land survey

Anyone know a reliable land surveyor?

I was quoted $950 which seems high.

2.2 acres of land in Branchville.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Dec '14

I used Pittenger & Keith several years ago.

https://plus.google.com/117355416545109412065/about?gl=us&hl=en

I do not recall the price but worth a call anyway to get another quote.

blah blah bouy
Dec '14

I paid $600 for an eighth of an acre.... I'm in the wrong business lol

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Dec '14

We used Danny Kent. I don't recall what we paid but I thought it was reasonable. I'm sure he handles Branchville since he did ours in Sandyston. We are in the next town over from you. Are you moving to the area or have you been up here.

M & K M & K
Dec '14

Can't really judge quotes unless you tell us what the quoted work includes.

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

Licensed surveyors get paid VERY well--fortunate for them, but unfortunate for those who need them. $950 does seem high, but not by a lot. I had one done about two years ago, for around $700, by Robert Wesp, 6 Pinecliff Road, Newton, 973-786-5707.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Dec '14

Wow, I'm not sure if I should feel really lucky or really taken advantage of. Does anybody know how they calculate their costs usually? Is it by the number of points they need to find, or size of parcel, or time involved? I paid significantly more than any of the amounts listed here, but the parcel was pretty big and I can't imagine how long it must have taken since a lot of the points were in heavily wooded areas...

Brendan Brendan
Dec '14

Yes, all that plays a part. If a crew is surveying a wide open field, they will have to move and reset the equipment far less than if it's a heavily wooded area where your unobstructed line of sight is very short. Also, if you have a large, irregular parcel, they need to locate many more points than with a 200 foot square parcel.

A proposal usually consists of an estimate of field crew time, office surveyor time and drafting time. Each has an hourly rate and they estimate the amount of time each will need to complete their assignments. Then there is usually a per piece cost if the client wants property corners physically set in the field.

ianiimal ianiimal
Dec '14

I'm in the market for a used car and the one I'm looking at is priced at $12,000. Is that a good price?

It's a fairly similar question....

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

Well Gadfly... I would at least tell you go to cars.com or kbb.com and compare there but thank anyways.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Dec '14

Sorry Fuji, I don't know of any sites like that for surveys. I was just trying to make a point. The cost of a survey is going to vary greatly based on what would be done. If the surveyor setting a number of monuments, it's a great price. If the property was recently surveyed and he's just preparing metes and bounds for you, it's expensive. Probably the best you can do is get multiple quotes and make sure they cover the same work. Best of luck with your new home.

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

A surveyor should be able to give you a starting point and it should be around 600. If you want the property marked, it will be more and I believe they charge about 50 and up to about 100 a marker. If the property is fairly simple, you really don't need it to be marked.

If you are purchasing a property and the current owners have one and nothing has changed and it's a fairly simple piece of property, really no need to get another.

I know some towns will make you submit a survey for an type of work... deck, sheds, etc. and if you don't have one, they won't review.

nutty nutty
Dec '14

Gadfly,

But the OP wasn't asking for an opinion on the quote, just a recommendation on a surveyor :)

MB. My comment was prompted by the following discussion of comparing prices and commenting on what a good price might be.

gadfly gadfly
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.