Thoughts on moving to Hunter's Brook?

Thoughts?

We are considering a move from Mansfield to Hackettstown. Besides the obvious (no bus, less land, etc), we REALLY love the house! Once inside, I didn't feel the "closeness" anyway.That said, I would assume there are a lot of families in the area, but I would love to hear some first hand accounts from people who live there =-) Do you love it/dislike it and why?

On a side note, we have 2 small children, the older one will be entering kindergarten in Sept.

MovinandShakin
Dec '14

Nothing wrong with the school bus system in Mansfield. Kids did it all their school years and there was never a problem. Very convenient too.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Dec '14

I agree; however, I would be moving from Mansfield to Hackettstown and so there would be no bus...

MovinandShakin
Dec '14

MovinandShakin - Nothing wrong with living across from a school you can walk to instead of 15 miles away. It's all up to you, I'm sure you'd be satisfied with the schools, the house, and families next door. I live in BH instead of HB but they both have the same separateness of individual homes yet the socially close development feeling. That's not necessarily for everyone, but it's what I want. All the room and yard enough not to be overwhelmed with work. Yet not isolated to the point you're snowed in and better have a generator and binge at Shoprite before a storm. Neighbors that help and not ones you can't see if you tried.

It's mostly preference, but if you like the house, you should be fine.

Oh sorry. Thought you meant the obvious reason you want to move to Htown is because there isn't any busing. Thought you didnt like the fact your kids would take a bus. So why do you want to leave Mansfield?

Dec '14

Thank you GC. That was very helpful. I actually grew up in Hackettstown and attended WG, so I already love the school and am use to a "walking district". I just wanted to learn more about HB (as well as BH) since they did not exist when I was a child. I am looking for a "close development feeling". Thanks!

MovinandShakin
Dec '14

To be honest bby, its not that we want to leave Mansfield, we are just outgrowing our home and this home fits our bill. I want to learn more about the development. =-)

MovinandShakin
Dec '14

I don't know anything about the HB neighborhood but do know the new superintendent is working on changing the schools in Hackettstown. You may not be able to walk to WG school like your thinking. I would check on the schools too not just the neighborhood. Things are changing.

JustSaying2 JustSaying2
Dec '14

check on the taxes!

JD4020 JD4020
Dec '14

Fair enough MovinandShakin. I like Mansfield because of the open land and spacing of homes. Im not a fan of "developments". Good luck to you.

Dec '14

It was one of the neighborhoods we were considering when we did our move from Allamuchy. Same reason as yours, we were just outgrowing the space we had. Even though we ended up in Independence, I still liked the feel of those two developments and had friends with children who lived there and liked the atmosphere.

ladeevee ladeevee
Dec '14

We live in Hunter's Brook- very kid friendly & family oriented neighborhood. Most of the families have school aged kids ( WG & Middle). Only downside is the higher taxes. On a side note, the house next to us is for sale

SteveO
Dec '14

Thanks for the responses! I am (unfortunately) aware of the high taxes. I am glad to hear that there are a lot of other families though! JustSayin2- What is going on with the schools? I've heard a rumor the HH is suppose to become k-2 and WG would be 3-5, but I wasn't sure if it was just an idea or something that was passed by the school board. Wasn't there a meeting last week?...Any news on what changes there will be?

MovinandShakin
Dec '14

MovinandShakin - Not even close to being passed. There are future developments being built and that has some implications on what the schools might look like. None of that building has happened yet, and even what has been approved hasn't even gotten passed initial phases of proposals. So it's good they're talking long term of what is 5-10 years away, but it's not here and now. It's nothing but long term planning. Email the president of the school board if you need any info.

Thanks GC! Happy to hear it's far away. I could see traffic in Hackettstown becoming even worse (imagine that!) if parents with a 3rd grader at Hatchery had to rush back to WG to pick up their 1st grader! This combined with middle school and high school traffic?! AH! I'm sure they'd stagger the end of the day times, but it's still concerning. I'm sure they've considered all of this =-) Maybe Hackettstown would become a bus district after all?

Nice to hear SteveO!....are you on Helms or Carriage? I also get it if you'd rather not say ;-)

MovinandShakin
Dec '14

You can get a bunch of info on the website. www.HuntersBrookNJ.com. I am an original owner and just love HB. We fell in love with the house (Ford model). Sold our Oak Hill TH and moved to HB. Dues are only $27 per month. Nice neighborhood to live in. I just did a tax reassessment and got my taxes cut by $2000. Good luck.

helmsmill helmsmill
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.