The Willows Restaurant and Catering (Asbury)

Does anyone have any details about this place? All I can see is some info on thei Facebook page. They're taking over for the long abandoned, and hard to sell Asbury Willows. Looks like the folks who used to own Hunter's Tavern have purchased it.

Yes. Jim and Sarah Hunter of the former Hunter's Tavern, which burned down over the summer, will be opening The Willows on Monday 12/8. The chef will be the same as Hunter's Tavern. They will be doing catering as well as being open for lunch and dinner.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

Sounds great, I have family that live close by and are looking forward to trying the place out once it opens. Will it be another tavern-like establishment or more of a restaurant feel (minus so many tvs and large bar)?

obvious marketing is obvious

lollipopz
Dec '14

I'm not sure about Kris, but I am in no way affiliated with this venture aside from the fact that I happen to know the owners because they live near me. I'm just reporting what I've heard through the grapevine and seen on social media. I have no idea regarding TVs and the bar.

Like any other new place, I will try it and go from there.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

I don't have any affiliation either, not sure how what I said may have alluded to that assumption. In any case, thanks Calico696 for the info, looking forward to trying it out as well!

They are hiring. 3 minute drive from the Washington A&P on rte 31. 10 minute drive from Port Murray.

I apologize. Good luck to them.

lollipopz
Dec '14

I'll try it.

But they have some competition with the new brew pubs in the area.. although both of those places have been dropping the ball on the service end. Mostly attention to detail on the food side of the spectrum. Honestly both have been disappointing and I have been to each several times now to give them a fair chance since they are new..

I just saw that the opening date has been pushed back to 12/15.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

Interesting, I wonder why they're pushing it back.

Happens all the time with restaurants. They probably just need one more week to be completely ready.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

The Willows opened this past Monday. Has anyone tried it yet?

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

I haven't yet, plan to next week sometime if I can fit it in with family and the holidays.

I'm wondering if they are going to have live entertainment on the weekends. That would be nice.

We finally made it to The Willows tonight and were very pleased with our experience. We both had sandwiches, because that's what we were in the mood for. I had the Tuscan Chicken sandwich and my husband had the Cuban sandwich. Both were very good and came with homemade chips. The homemade chips were delicious and a nice alternative to French fries. My sandwich had grilled chicken, fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers, tomato and a garlic mayo. It was on a homemade roll. Both sandwiches were very large, I couldn't finish mine.

The place looks great and was very clean and orderly. The bar area has about 8 stools at the bar and there a three, two seat hi-top tables. There are three large screen tvs for watching the game. The dining area also looked very inviting.

We sat at the bar and were served by Sarah (owner) and she was great as usual. Total with tax and tip for two huge sandwiches and a few beers was $39.

We will definitely go back and try some other menu items soon.

Here is the website.

http://www.atthewillows.com/

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Sounds like a great experience Calico. Will have to try it soon now that someone has had success there!

We went to the Willows for dinner tonight.

The dining room has 10 tables for 4 and 3 tables for two. Some tables had cloth napkins some paper? The tables for two are in an odd space. One butts up to a column and the other butts up to the fireplace. The chair hits the hearth and does not sit evenly with the table. Uncomfortable.
DH ordered two specials, sea scallops for appetizer and a strip steak with crab meat for dinner. The scallops were wonderful! Steak was good.

I ordered the jagerschnitzel, the meat was cooked to perfection. The spaetzle was pan fried and burnt, a disappointment.
Salads were a nice mix of iceberg and field greens.

Non alcoholic drinks.

Total was $60.00 not including tip.

tidy
Jan '15

We also went to the Willows Friday night. I had the onion soup and the Cuban sandwich my wife had the mushroom soup and a hamburger. My sandwich was loaded with pork lion nice thick slices moist and very tasty, one of the best Cuban sandwich I have had in a long time. The onion soup was loaded with onions and cheese, excellent. My wife said the hamburger was excellent 1/2 pound was very moist and was huge she could not eat the entire burger. It came with frenchfries a big pile, my wife said they were just OK. She said her mushroom soup was very good.

Overall the food and service was great and we will be back.

TominWashington TominWashington
Jan '15

We had dinner with friends at The Willows last night and everything was delicious. I had the vodka penne with chicken and a house salad, hubby had the angus burger with fries, friends both had the French onion soup and had the jambalya and the crab cakes. Half the penne came home with me and half the jambalya went home with the friends. Large portions.

All very tasty, service was good and the prices are reasonable for sure.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

I was looking at their menu and see they have Afternoon Tea. Has anyone tried that? Definitely would like to give the restaurant a try.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '15

I was just curious if anyone else has tried The Willows yet? We had dinner there again this past Saturday and enjoyed it.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '15

I stopped in at a time the place was pretty quiet ... had a brewski and a crabcake sandwich (being such a Maryland guy I always try the crabcakes at a new place just to see how they compare).

They had Bob Dylan music playing and NHL hockey on the TV screen.

My kind of place.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

"being such a Maryland guy I always try the crabcakes at a new place just to see how they compare"

I have to think that you are disappointed more often than not; Maryland crabcakes are amazing. Mattar's makes a very good one (or made, anyway... I haven't been there in ages) , but most I've encountered in this area are three parts filler to one part crab. And the crabmeat is usually shredded and mixed with the breading... it would probably be more accurate for these people to call them crab croquettes or fritters than actual crabcakes, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '15

Yes, Mattar's is the best crabcake around here, at least it was the last time I was there.

Enjoyed meeting you last week.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

My Boyfriend and I have Been to The Willows 3 Times. 2 Banquet Events and for Valentine's. Food always has been Excellent. The Value is Excellent as Well.....Top of my List of Favorite Restaurants. Will go to More Events and Dinners. Thank you

Fran Schizzano Fran Schizzano
Feb '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.