Sidewalk Shoveled

Two teenagers just came by and asked if I wanted any shoveling done. I couldn't believe it. I said sure how much, they said whatever you think is fair, I said have at it.
My faith in the local youths has now increased ten fold. They gave me their phone # for the next snow.
I feel so much better about winter now. Bring it on.

ignatz ignatz
Nov '14

See there are still SOME good people in this world

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

A few years ago, we had 2 young girls knock on our door to see if we wanted our sidewalk shoveled. We were so grateful, didn't think kids did that anymore either, LOL. They had a fairly small area to do. We paid them $20.00 for their hard work and off they went. Weird thing is years later, Clyde will say hello to one of them and I always ask, who's that. He always reminds me it was one of the girls who shoveled our sidewalk.

Bessie Bessie
Nov '14

can you pls give me their numbers? I need some help too?

Lakshmi Lakshmi
Nov '14

908-752 1579 ask for Scott

ignatz ignatz
Nov '14

I get kids after almost every single snow storm asking to shovel snow. Some are young teens (early HS perhaps) and some are possibly college age. I actually feel bad declining their offer since I have a snow blower and two capable kids myself.

There are many, many good kids out there. It's just that the bad apples get all of the attention and focus.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

I have lived in the College View area for the last 15 years or so and not once in all that time has any teenager or neighborhood child old enough to shovel ever come me or my wife to ask if we want our driveway shoveled. I (in my60's) and my wife (although younger and looks great for her age) have been out shoveling on many occasions with no offer of help from any neighborhood kids. I know the kids in this neighborhood are good kids as there are very few problems in our area. As a kid I made tons of money shoveling when snow hit, would look forward to it, and wonder why now kids are not interested in this easy money.

in 1977 my grandma was asked by some good kids if she wanted her driveway shoveled for 5 dollars, , she said it was too much and she wouldn't pay it. she called her son (my dad) and told him, dad then 'instructed' me to drive over to grandma's house and shovel her out. which i did forthwith and straight away. (as i was raised) shoveld out g-ma's driveway and as i was leaving, my grandma hands me a 20 dollar bill which i tried to decline, but she insisted,

go figure.

so if 5 bucks was the going rate in 1977, i figure about 20 - 25 dollars should be the going rate today as most of our money is worth a lot less than it used to be. (because the federal reserve keeps printing more bills with nothing to back them which deflates the value of the dollar over time)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

I am blessed to have two teen girls that have helped me shovel our neighbors driveway and sidewalk for the past 5 plus years with NO hesitation!!!!. (clean their rooms??? NOT!!).. But at the first sight of snow they are both out there ready to go...
Hey Calico remember?? I think I told you that last year, you have a cold beer waiting and we will be right up.. lol

scoop scoop
Nov '14

That is so great to hear. That's what all the boys used to do when I was a kid, shoveling and in the summer they would go around with their dad's lawnmower and knock on doors. My neighbor Stuart used to take all the elderly people's garbage out to the curb on garbage night for .50 cents per house. He had 10 or so houses and made about $5 every week (which was great money for a 12 year old in the early 1970's!) and the older folks from our development loved him.

Holidays he would make out like a bandit in tips, cookies and gifts!

Stuart is now a 53 year old millionaire...started with a good idea and .50 cents at a time!

Heidi Heidi
Nov '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.