Fatal bear attack in W. Millford - Update

I just came across this article of the factual events that occurred that day. I kind of felt that this was the situation since attacks are not common with black bears. Unfortunately, these boys were forewarned of the bear but chose to continue into the woods. If anything comes of this, I hope that kids will learn that taking pics of wild animals is dangerous. Apparently there is a popular fad with kids taking "selfies" and videos with wild animals and posting them on social media.

http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/index.ssf/2014/11/hiker_snapped_pictures_of_bear_before_fatal_attack_in_west_milford.html#incart_river

villani villani
Nov '14

Very sad. Disrespect for wildlife can cause serious problems. This shows that.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

This isn't a "selfie" with a bear. I don't think being 100 feet away from a bear is disrespecting wildlife. Assuming it's true that they stopped and backed up at that point, it seems that the bear was more aggressive than typical (especially with no cubs around). The fact that it followed other hikers shows that it was "misbehaving" as well.

I've been within a few hundred feet of a bear in the woods before, and making noise causes them to run away. I also carry bear spray just in case.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

Ok, excuse me...it wasn't a "selfie" with a bear. It was taking a picture of the bear multiple times while it's coming towards you...still a stupid act either way. And how do we know there were no cubs around? Just because they were not seen in the picture does not mean they were not around.

villani villani
Nov '14

Completely agree with you, Mark. While I would have definitely turned around upon being notified by other hikers that they were being "followed" by a bear (rather alarming), it doesn't seem that the group was provoking the bear. This bear's behavior was certainly abnormal. Wonder if the necropsy included the brain... a tumor, just as an example, can cause erratic or unusual behavior in an animal. Did anyone see a detailed necropsy report on the bear published anywhere?

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '14

The reports are linked here:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/bearfacts_attack9-21-14.htm

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

Mark and Rebecka - I guess I need to make myself clearer. By saying "disrespect for wildlife" I didn't mean that they did something untoward, I meant that they didn't have respect for the dangers that wildlife can impose. Does that make more sense?

Sometimes the actual thoughts in my head don't translate well after I read what I wrote. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

Thanks Mark Mc. I've wanted to see if something medical was up with the bear, but he seemed to have been in good health.

littlelu littlelu
Nov '14

I understood what you meant, Calico. And I agree, they didn't have enough respect to do whatever they could to steer clear of a dangerous animal. I just thought that Villani implied they were taking selfies, and the article seemed to try to cast disparaging remarks in their direction, too -- as if to hint it might have been the hikers' faults.

Thanks for posting the link to necropsy results, Mark.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '14

Here is another reason why we should be able to carry a fire arm with us when we are in the woods

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Nov '14

+ 1 caged,, it's past time, New Jersey needs to get with the rest of the country that allows citizens to freely exercise their rights under the constitution.

we need a 'shall issue' permit law passed in trenton ASAP

btw, it's a fact, bears do eat people, bears are meat eaters, they like meat, and they like eating people.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

i still have a feeling that foul play was involved by the college kids... its not normal for a black bear to walk up and eat them.

Poppy Girl
Nov '14

How exactly do you get a "selfie" WITH a wild animal?? lol!

Now wait a second; our own Ianimal has been posting humans with different versions of I'animals pictures for some time now.

(too soon for a wedding picture redux?)

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Nov '14

It wasn't a "selfie", but it WAS a "cellphie", since it was taken with a cellphone (-;

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

Re: Fatal bear attack in W. Millford - Update

" but it WAS a "cellphie""

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

How exactly do you get a "selfie" WITH a wild animal?? lol!

Just do a google search. There are plenty of fools that post selfie's and videos. It has been becoming a trend..not sure why but the kids think it's cool. Here are just a couple.

Fool #1

villani villani
Nov '14

Fool #2

villani villani
Nov '14

Fool #3

villani villani
Nov '14

And fool #4. Oh, I could go on but here are what kids are doing and there your wild animal selfie.

villani villani
Nov '14

So what? Many people on HL have said if you don't bother it, it wont bother you. No one is bothering the bear in those 2 pics.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Nov '14

you can see mantis man in the woods in the background on picture -- fool#3

tunnel rat tunnel rat
Nov '14

they think its funny because they think nothing will happen to them except they are wrong. and i think its disgusting that they had to put the bear down most likely for some idiots stupidity.

Poppy Girl
Nov '14

"they think its funny because they think nothing will happen"

So what happened to them?

"they had to put the bear down most likely for some idiots stupidity."

No, they put down an overly agressive bear that had no fear of humans. See those bears eating the garbage? THAT's the problem.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

All I know is if I see a bear that close to me after being warned of a bear following hikers, I am not going to take time taking pictures. Especially if I'm unarmed. You all can stick up for these foolish kids all you want so you can promote more bear hunts but those kids should have been walking away as soon as they saw the bear. Why take a chance just for a pic? Now if I saw a turkey I would stop for a pic. LOL!

Redwing
Nov '14

They should have never gone into that forest- after what the other hikers told them. Sad that 2 deaths resulted.

A good day
Nov '14

They were far into the forest when they encountered those hikers. The article is either written sloppily or is just incorrect. It is too bad they didn't listen to the other hikers and turn around, but the bear was already following that group and it may have been too late anyway.

Gadfly Gadfly
Nov '14

Thought about this thread when I saw this news story. Raccoon selfie ends up with a bite to the leg and one dead raccoon.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/nebraska-lineman-bit-by-raccoon-while-trying-to-take-picture-with-it-143943654.html

lollipopz
Dec '14

Another genius. Sigh.....

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

I'm starting a new trend on facebook. Taking selfies with moving vehicles. It does require you to run out into moving traffic so its not for the faint of heart.

sack
Dec '14

That raccoon selfie guy is a moron.

Blackcat Blackcat
Dec '14

Bears have paws like baseball mitts with claws like cats. Beware of bears.

fussylady fussylady
Dec '14

I saw this article and couldn't help but think of this article. lol
http://jezebel.com/this-womans-selfie-with-a-monkey-ended-very-very-badly-1671065165?utm_campaign=socialflow_jezebel_facebook&utm_source=jezebel_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

villani villani
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.