Person hit by a train

If you know someone heading home on a train into netcong or hackettstown might want to let them know about this.

http://wrnjradio.com/wrnj-news-department/2014/breaking-news-person-struck-by-train/

ooonoo ooonoo
Nov '14

I just posted this on another thread. My daughter was on the first train they stopped. We had to go pick her up in Lake Hopatcong. She said that NJ Transit was very rude about the whole thing. The crowd (after the shock) started putting together car pools to get to town. I wonder why they don't get buses to get them to their destinations?

Christine Christine
Nov '14

I don't understand this did the train jump off its tracks run over and hit some one what part of don't get to close to the tracks till the train comes to a full stop do people not under stand

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Nov '14

A 58 year old Netcong man was sitting on the tracks and made no attempt to move out of the way.

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2014/11/58-year-old_man_killed_by_train_in_netcong.html#incart_river

Chickadee Chickadee
Nov '14

Geez... what a horrible way to go...

Metsman Metsman
Nov '14

Horrible, but probably the most effective if that is the route you have chosen to take. I think what really sucks is the fact that the conductor has to watch it happen before his eyes knowing that he will not be able to stop in time.

I don't really see how it is effective, the man was airlifted, obviously he was still alive after it happened

I find it very selfish to make everyone else deal with that memory.

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

"Horrible, but probably the most effective if that is the route you have chosen to take."

He didn't use a gun, so his suicide will be largely ignored and quickly forgotten (no political usefulness). People were probably more upset about the train delay than the method/tool he chose to use. Just proves that when someone decides it's time to go, they will find a way to do it (and why legal/humane options need to exist such as that used by the woman in Oregon).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

that article said they can't even confirm he died. until we hear otherwise have to assume he survived. holy hannah.

lollipopz
Nov '14

In MOST cases the person dies instantly or shortly thereafter.

I agree Mark.

Mark - Just when I thought you couldn't get more shallow. You did it! You made a poor local man's suicide about your political views. Slow clap.

soccermom79 soccermom79
Nov '14

very sad

Summer Summer
Nov '14

Really soccermom? Look at the second post on this thread...

Does it talk about the man that got hit? No, it talks about the lack of buses to handle the inconvenienced passengers.

If the man didn't want the public to talk about his suicide (or attempt), he wouldn't have done it in public. I have nothing against offering resources to try and reduce suicide (the desire, not the tools), but at the same time it should still be that person's right to end their own life when they choose. I guarantee if he used a firearm we'd have a bunch of comments and NJ.com articles regarding background checks, handgun locks, restraining orders, etc. (that you've never golf clapped for in other threads). I guess it's only shallow when you disagree.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

I think the shallow award in the thread goes to #2 hands down.

I pray he (and his family) finds peace. I will keep the conductor in my prayers as he will not be able to unsee the events of last night

seenit
Nov '14

Absolutely! SMH!

God bless the man and conductor and anyone that witnessed it. So sad!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Nov '14

The fact that he was airlifted tells us he survived the initial incident, they don't call in helicopters for a body.

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

This thing doesn't happen in NW Jersey that often so they are not prepared like the Northeast Corridor which this type of incident can happen 1-2 times per year now.

All in all, very sad that this person made the decision to do this. To all that were inconvenienced, at least you made it home last night...

Also happened in Emerson or Park Ridge NJ yesterday Article said the 23 yr old was still breathing and sent to hospital.

jerseycash5
Nov '14

yes the second post says a lot from someone who is always looking for prayers . SMH

jerseycash5
Nov '14

cash 5, the biggest issue in today's world is people care more about themselves and could give a damn less about anyone else

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

"People were probably more upset about the train delay than the method/tool he chose to use."

Mark - When we have a rash of suicidal people mow down a crowd of innocent people with a train first before taking their own lives, I'm sure people will make it a political issue.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

+100000000000000000000000 Darrin. You are so right. Its terrible.

Nov '14

"When we have a rash of suicidal people mow down a crowd of innocent people with a train first before taking their own lives, I'm sure people will make it a political issue."

The vast majority of suicides (by any method) are individual occurrences not involving any crowd mowing, but since you brought it up for comparison:

An average of 29.8 people are killed in mass shootings each year.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/01/CDC-FBI-Bicycle-And-Falling-Deaths-Far-Exceed-Deaths-From-Mass-Shootings

An average of 876 people are killed by train collisions each year (85-110 of which are suicides).

http://journalistsresource.org/studies/environment/transportation/comparing-fatality-risks-united-states-transportation-across-modes-time#

Your argument would be better served to say that far more people choose to use guns as their method of suicide, compared to trains, which is undoubtedly true. Is suicide any better/worse if someone decides to use a gun versus a train, or a pill, or a rope? The political response and vilification against those who use firearms (by including suicide stats to justify gun control) is just disproportianate in my opinion, since half of the annual suicides don't use guns. In stark contrast, news outlets ran many touching and supportive stories of the woman in Oregon and her right to choose her time of death with a pill...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

"cash 5, the biggest issue in today's world is people care more about themselves and could give a damn less about anyone else"

That sort of implies that it was ever any different. I doubt if it ever really was. Suicide rates are lower now than they were in the '50s.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0779940.html

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

Wasen't talking about suicide ian, I was talking about the select few who were more concerned with how it delayed them then a loss of a life, more so people in general, but since you brought it up, yes suicide is very selfish

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

I agree 100% Darrin.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Nov '14

Seenit, Darrin, Jerseycsh5, Mark Mc and BBY FYI I had no idea at the time that his was a suicide or if the man even passed away! Don't call me out because I posted my experience.

You all can kiss my as*!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Christine Christine
Nov '14

Very sad. The poor man must have been suffering terribly. Hopefully everyone will take a moment to pray for him and be greatful that your own list of problems is relatively less.

Res2- yes. and that is a kind thing to say. Sometimes the end of the year holidays arterrifying.e harder for people also.

A good day
Nov '14

"You all can kiss my as*! "

WOW CHRISTINE....now thats the holiday spirit, I didn't even say anything to you, nor did most you posted ..... You are so rude....but for some reason I am not surprised

secondly I must point out that you did post your comment in the "person hit by train" post......so saying you didn't know is a lie

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

That's too big a target make it more challenging.

jerseycash5
Nov '14

I don't know Darrin, in some families "You all can kiss my as*!" would be considered holiday spirit lol!

I agree if you are posting under a thread titled "person hit by train" it doesn't matter whether you knew if was an accident or suicide. The point was that you were more concerned with things other than the tragedy that occurred.

"Your argument would be better served to say that far more people choose to use guns as their method of suicide, compared to trains, which is undoubtedly true. Is suicide any better/worse if someone decides to use a gun versus a train, or a pill, or a rope? "

You missed the point of my comment (which I admit probably wasn't communicated well.) You implied that no one cared about "death by train" because it wasn't "death by gun". My point is, the "death by gun" has become a hot button issue because, on more than one occasion, the suicidal person first decides to kill others first and then blows his brain out. So, until someone manages to commit a mass murder with a train and it becomes an increasingly growing event, no one is going to politicize it.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

"I don't know Darrin, in some families "You all can kiss my as*!" would be considered holiday spirit lol!"

Have you been to Christmas dinner at my house? You're right on the money (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Nov '14

And really, how many people complain about being stuck in traffic due to an accident? Raise your hand if you never have. In some cases, people have died, in others maybe they've only been injured or maybe there were thankfully no injuries. In ALL cases, they had a much worse day than the person complaining. So, until we come to a social consensus that complaining about being delayed in any situation is a faux pas, let's cut Christine some slack. It's possible to both have compassion for the victim and his family and to also question how NJT handled the resultant logistical issues.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Nov '14

Christine is far from family to me so she can go suck eggs

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Ok, so Christine had to pick up her daughter and it was so inconvenient for her because she assumed the person only got hit by and train and didn't die but if the person did die, then it wouldn't be an inconvenience??? *smh
She even stated that she posted this article on another thread so I'm not buying that bologna story. I'm sure she's smarter than that but she only realizes now how rude and shallow of a comment that was. Prayers to you Christine since you need them so bad.
And Happy Holidays to you and your family. Condolences to the family of this man.

villani villani
Nov '14

lol ianimal, it's the same in my family..As a matter of fact I would be concerned if I didn't hear that or something similar :)

Darrin, how many people are killed with a gun where you express a lot more concern for your 2nd Amendment rights than you do for the lives lost? I'm not saying you're bad for doing it; it's human nature. Google "monkeysphere", if you don't already know what I'm talking about.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Nov '14

ianimal I had to smile at your next post "How many people complain about being stuck in traffic due to an accident?" One year I totaled my car on Christmas day and traffic was tied up for 2hrs. I actually had people complain to me about me ha!ha!

In my family, people are told to "eat shit" so frequently, you'd think it was a traditional hors doeuvres (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Nov '14

"and now it's time to let the 'airing of the grievances' begin!"

happy festivus everyone, time to erect the aluminum poles

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

We will probably never know why this man was on the tracks. In regards to suicide, I have worked as a counselor for 30 years and you would be surprised how many people think about it. Please talk to others, especially your children. Sincere concern and appropriate help may save a life in the future. Blessings to all.

ifIonlyknewthen ifIonlyknewthen
Nov '14

"Darrin, how many people are killed with a gun where you express a lot more concern for your 2nd Amendment rights than you do for the lives lost? I'm not saying you're bad for doing it; it's human nature. Google "monkeysphere", if you don't already know what I'm talking about."

Actually I usually do show condolences first, but once the thread turns political am I just suppose to keep saying condolences, or am I allowed to join in and defend the 2nd?

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Haha, you said "erect", BDog...

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone... be well and set aside your differences, if just for one day.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Nov '14

unbelievable - just unbelievable - hope you all have a family friendly Thanksgiving

5catmom 5catmom
Nov '14

iphone-imal --you ask "how many people are killed with a gun?"

Answer:

A LOT LESS than are killed by a car. A LOT LESS than die by drowning. A LOT LESS than die from reactions or overdoses to prescription drugs.

I can keep going if you would like.

Heidi Heidi
Nov '14

Heidi, you're preaching to the choir. Relax and enjoy the holiday with your family.

Hail, Slayer (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Nov '14

If someone was texting and then drove their car on the tracks and died, yes I would complain and be angry. But, someone killing them self intentionally would not get the anger out, rather a reminder to be grateful...

Why else would someone be sitting on the tracks? Really? Died or not it was very insensitive Christine.

Nov '14

turkey is in the oven, mark the time ! (yea)

happy thanksgiving guys, take a few moments and be grateful for what we have in this life, count your blessings . . . . . .

give thanks for the things freely given to us. . . . .

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

OMG just read this thread. What is wrong with you Christine? Insensitive much? My condolences to the family. And to you Christine you need much prayer.

pampurr pampurr
Nov '14

Get REAL "Pampurr" & the rest of you, Christine had no clue at the time that Mr Nowak decided to try and kill himself via train running over him!!
And I would be pissed off too if I were inconvenienced by stupidity!!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Nov '14

The thread states "Person hit by a train" Mr. Negative......it's a no brainier, a few came to post to a thread called person hit by train to bitch about how it affected their travels.

And a few of these people need constant prayers and attention from everyone, but could obviously give a damn less about anyone else.

The fact that it was a suicide makes no difference, because someone was still hit by a train

"And I would be pissed off too if I were inconvenienced by stupidity!!"

Yeah because someone dieing is just so stupid! Good one!

true colors have obviously been shown, and we can all learn the true character of a few on here, let the lesson be learned

And for those who expressed concern and condolences, I am sure the family appreciates it, especially around the time of the holidays.

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

WOW amazing his name fits him perfectly "Mr. Negative" and he is also insensitive.

pampurr pampurr
Nov '14

oh geeze- pampurr is back ---

5catmom 5catmom
Nov '14

Oh geeze..problems?

pampurr pampurr
Nov '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.