ATV riding

Hello everyone I just purchased a new quad and was wondering If there are any trails around warren county area that I can go riding at. I have trails at my neighbors house and heard of some trails in Pennsylvania

townie1 townie1
Nov '14

"any trails around warren county"

This is New Jersey. I think that pretty much answers the question on where it is legal to ride (with the exception of private property with the owner's permission).

Even some of the atv/dirt bike parks the state used to have are now closed.

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/new_jersey_list.htm

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

Thanks Mark

townie1 townie1
Nov '14

Re: ATV riding

Your best bet is to find a club/forum in PA. I'm sure there are more places to ride there, but I don't know any specifics.

I used to race dirt bikes in the enduro/hare scramble series, and there wasn't much going on in NJ with all of the legal hurdles.

(Not to say we didn't start out "illegally" when we first got our bikes...)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

I have 2 quads and 2 dirt bikes and they didn't get used once this summer because NJ sucks so much.

I did recently find a ATV park that is only about a hour from here though and allows you to take your own machines for 35 bucks a day or you can buy season passes, it is called lost trails and I am dieing to get out there! They have over 2000 acres

www.ridelosttrails.com

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Lost trails looks awesome

townie1 townie1
Nov '14

atv riding in nj..you have to pay a quarter just to use a shopping cart at shop-rite..

tunnel rat tunnel rat
Nov '14

tunnel rat, technically you get the quarter back if you do the right thing and return the cart to the racks. It only costs you a quarter if you do the lazy, inconsiderate thing and leave the cart in the parking area. Not a good comparison.

I'm in my early 40's and just bought another dirtbike after all these years.

The lost trails looks good. Anyone interested in trying it out with me?

It's a ton of fun I wish 1. had an ATV and 2. had somewhere to ride.

Josh I'll be interested in going once my quad gets delivered in a week

townie1 townie1
Nov '14

I have better luck with the 5 snowmobiles, at least parks in NJ still allow you to ride them. I really cannot wait to move, I just saw another place I used to take my jeep and where people used to ride quads has been converted to walking trails.......

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Wish I could get a snowmobile

townie1 townie1
Nov '14

Having an ATV in NJ is like having a yacht in the desert.

reynolds
Nov '14

My quad gets more use plowing my driveway in one snowstorm then it does riding trails all year!

I used to ride with my wife every weekend by my parents house, and so did many people in that area, never had any issues at all, and everyone left us alone. but since the town passed a ordinance that no wheeled vehicles were allowed on the property, and they put up locked gates at every entrance to the property. I have not been back there I had been riding back there for over 20 years....thanks a lot mine hill!

It doesn't help that a guy at the end of their road, who doesn't even own a house btw, he rents, calls the cops every time he hears a quad or dirtbike.

This area is really going to poo for riders like us

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

"Having an ATV in NJ is like having a yacht in the desert."

Best way to describe it!

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Nov '14

mk your right --i always return my cart..i don't want to hit someone's car by leaving it in the lot..i was making a joke about how you can't do anything in nj anymore..got a motorcycle instead..alot of crazy people on the rode through.i got mowed down once already.

tunnel rat tunnel rat
Nov '14

You guys do realize that roaring around on an ATV kind of makes nearby houses unlivable, right? And rips hell out the woods (which is why NJ prevents it on public land.)

That place in PA looks about right: a patch of privately owned land hemmed in by a quarry, industrial park, and an interstate.

MrCharlie
Nov '14

Take it to the Lackawanna Cutoff and have a blast. I loved riding on there. Better do it before they finish putting the rails back.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '14

MrCharlie,
How does ATV's make a house unlivable? Most quads have mufflers that limit noise pollution so they are no louder than a lawnmower. Some yes are louder but that's the operators choice. Maybe get some new windows and better insulation on your house if the noise is to much.

Also, quads don't destroy woods. It's that people who run them have been confined to certain areas and when 100's of people are forced to run the same path then yes it wears down the undergrowth in dramatic fashion.

younggen younggen
Nov '14

Incorrect mrcharlie, it is inconsiderate people who do what you listed, and ruin it for people who ride responsibly

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Just like there are normal cars, and loud hot rods, just like normal motorcycles and loud harley... there are quiet off road vehicle and noisy ones.

My dirtbike is on stock exhaust, and so quiet that the magazine reviews refer to it as a sewing machine.

And as far as 'damaging' the woods... give me a break. Once people stop riding and nature takes back over, you wouldn't know we were there after a while. We aren't hurting anything besides your nimby attitude.

Hell, you could PAVE the earth and I'd bet money that if you just left it alone that in 100 years you wouldn't know. Nature is strong. It will rip plants right on through. I bought my house in 2008, the driveway was pristine. In the last 2 years it is in rapidly declining health.. cracks, crumbles, grass poking through...

Younggen: of course you know what I mean: little boys riding ATVs in circles drives people nuts. They may not say anything, but in their hearts they think you're an inconsiderate moron.

BTW, mine's much louder than a lawn mower. I don't get complaints because I run it on my own land, and use it for snow plowing and hauling stuff in the woods, rather than just riding in circles.

I hate the way useful tools get turned into obnoxious toys. See if you can guess what created the lovely nature scene I 'm trying to upload.

MrCharlie
Nov '14

Yep, I'm sure ATV's cut all the trees down first...

Looks like the edges of a strip mine/quarry/power line cut to me.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

I was gonna guess a excavator put the piles there after chainsaws cut the trees down, probably while they were digging out all of the earth natural resources that lied below it, but I think you nailed it mark!

" snow plowing and hauling stuff in the woods, rather than just riding in circles."

Actually if you are plowing your driveway, that is sort of running it in circles......

I used mine for all of the above, learn to have some fun charlie!

Fun can be had without tearing up property, but tearing up is certainly more fun, one must be conscious of who's property they are on, and who will be affected by the damage they cause.

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Most of the riding I'll be doing is private property whom I know the people that own it and Pennsylvania trails its titled and registered

townie1 townie1
Nov '14

are you the sharing type person? LMAO

I am saving to buy my own property, I am getting so tired of places I ride, places I shoot, and places I hunt getting closed down, so I will be buying enough property that I can always do what I love and not have to worry about someone taking it away from me, I just do not know where yet

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Well, you can just move to Arizona... huge amounts of BLM land open to off road vehicles and shooting ranges.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

I need snow

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

"I need snow"

Flagstaff gets snow....

It's 35 degrees there now, compared to 61 degrees in Hackettstown.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

Atvs are one of the worst threats to our public lands in NJ. I have no problem with people riding responsibly and legally on private lands with permission. Unfortunately, the vast majority of riders in NJ have no respect for the law, private property rights, or natural resources. Tens, maybe hundreds, of thousands of acres of land in this state are being severely impacted by illegal atv riding. And, surprisingly to most, there are at least as many adults riding as kids. Penalties need to be jacked up until people get the message.

Gadfly Gadfly
Nov '14

'the vast majority of riders in NJ have no respect for the law'. Do you have anything to back this up, Gadfly? Do you have numbers?

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '14

That statement is based upon direct observation, interaction with riders, and a tremendous amount of personal experience.

gadfly gadfly
Nov '14

"Atvs are one of the worst threats to our public lands in NJ"

Yeah, they are so much worse then those tree hugging developers!

"interaction with riders"

Judging how you are reacting on this forum I can guess how that conversation went.

"tremendous amount of personal experience."

Wow that's strange, because my tremendous amount of personal experience concluded me to the opposite

Gadfly, everyone one here rides private property or trail parks, you are arguing with a wall, or just talking to yourself.

Sure we are disappointed that they allow other uses for property but will not allow a recreation that many people in this state would like to enjoy. I don't see any reason trails cannot be maintained and patrolled with the money people pay for registrations for these vehicles, then the trails can be shared with walkers, thats what they do at high point when it is snowmobiling season. They also do this in state parks in Maryland, no issues there

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

I was happy to read posters here making plans to ride in legal places. Unfortunately, most who ride in this state are not so conscientious. It's not to bad around here, but go north or south and it's out of control.

You know, the state does allow organized enduro rides on state lands. Unfortunately, even the organizers of those events habitually break the rules, by presenting inaccurate trail map routes in their applications, intentionally deviating from approved routes, and illegally creating new trails, which they then list as previously existing on their applications.

Gadfly Gadfly
Nov '14

"They also do this in state parks in Maryland, no issues there" Oh no Darrin, now you're talking one of my stomping grounds.......beautiful country. While no problem with a variety of land uses, there is a strong contingent there to maintain the environmental sanctity of state lands.

MD opens and closes ORV state park trails all the time; 36 miles closed in 2011, think 18 miles open now. Think they are looking to open one on Sideling Ridge, maybe on the Savage through an evaluation period. Often you need to register to use and I think they limit the traffic on at least some of the trails. They monitor this pretty closely and close trails if there's any environmental damage.

When you get past Sideling Ridge out to the Deep Creek area, that's getting a heck of a lot more remote than almost anywhere in NJ. Matter of fact, they shot Night of the Living Dead around there ----- better be real careful........

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Nov '14

Anyone know of north jersey ATV club? Lookin to learn more about riding in friendly PA State land. I've been to lost trails with my son and it was a lot of fun. A little rocky but a great day with my son.

Jimmydnj Jimmydnj
Jan '17

Pm sent to you jimmy

Michael Michael
Jan '17

look up Promised Land State park and Delaware state forest in Pike County and Monroe County in Pennsylvania. about an hour from Hackettstown. I think about 150 miles of trails.

Your welcome Your welcome
Jan '17

If every one would stop being sue happy and trying to make a buck off every one we would a never got here. Your kid crashed his bike. His fault not the person who let them ride there.
Now there's nothing for youth to do but get high.

There's only certain state parks you can ride in Pennsylvania as long as your legal l, insurance and registered through the dcnr of Pennsylvania.

Michael Michael
Jan '17

When I was a kid I could ride dirt Bike's anywhere and We still got high so bs on that

Billy
Jan '17

There is a place on route 46 that rents ATVs. At least I think they do. You could stop in ask them for good places to ride.

FredFinger FredFinger
Jan '17

I would be extremely surprised to learn of a place in north jersey that rents ATV- as there is no place in north jersey to legally ride them...

Silence is golden on our state lands.

Eperot Eperot
Jan '17

Eperot..... Thanks for trashing out state lands for your enjoyment! find a new hobby!

2 cents 2 cents
Jan '17

What the hell does that even mean? How am I trashing state lands because I enjoy silence?

eperot eperot
Jan '17

He's probably one of those environazi's eperot. Pay no attention. They tend to pop up at riding events every now and then trying to save an endangered blade of grass all the while condos and town homes go up in every open space available in this dumpy state.

LJRubi LJRubi
Jan '17

I think everyone is misunderstanding my point. I'm saying I enjoy silence...as in no recreational gas powered vehicles. Not that I am an "environazi" but I do consider myself at least modestly environmentally aware. I simply feel that private lands are better suited to such activities.
We live in a world of noise that has become virtually omnipresent. I believe this is detrimental to our health in excess and that the quiet traditionally found in nature can be immensely restorative. Especially in a state like NJ it can be difficult to find places to seek such quiet.
New Year's day I took a hike to Sunfish Pond out at Worthington State Forest and it was bliss to hear...nothing. The experience would have been vastly diminished were ATV's or snowmobiles buzzing past me.

eperot eperot
Jan '17

The problem with "I enjoy silence" is that you can't limit the world to 'I', in this case - you.

The town, country, state, country, world.. is much bigger than you.

I grew up riding dirt bikes, have owned atv, some cars with louder exhaust, etc- none of them crazy loud by anyone's definition, but still- not silence, not perfectly quiet. Plenty of vehicles I hear drive by on a daily basis are louder than any of them.

As I get up there in years I myself grow less tolerant of noise, it seriously must be an age & physical medical thing as I, as well as those I know disregarded it in our youth..

That being said- there is a LOT of noise in this world- diesel truck and delivery vehicles make a lot, construction sites, chain saws, lawn mowers, etc as well as boats, airplanes and yes dirtbikes, atv and snowmobiles.

The sticking point is that you can pick something you don't care for hearing- but I promise you if I followed your life for a few weeks- YOU also contribute noise in some manner that could be perceived as bothersome to someone else. Do you mow your grass, or pay to have it done? Do you have a dog that barks? Snowblower? Ride a train? Airplane?

I don't know if any of us are 'sound free'- even if the stuff we consume is delivered, or traveled by things that make noise.

So don't be quick to base your sound level annoyance to your short quiet walk in the woods being momentarily disrupted by a passing atv- when you frequently travel via air for work, mow or weedwack your grass with a noisy mower each week, order stuff that is delivered by UPS, fedex, or by tractor trailer to a store prior to your purchase (which is damn near everything)....all fuel to a gas station is delivered by rigs, which like to engine (jake) brake to save brake pad/rotor wear)...

Josh, there are plenty of places to ride snowmobiles etc in PA (locally Delaware State Forest - miles), and honestly I know many folks out in White Twp and quieter spots that ride dirt bikes on the Lackawanna cutoff, and a lot of the state game land and annexes of Jenny jump state forest where the trails are already double track and old woods road. I don't think that should be illegal if it is not: overly frequent, the land isn't Natural Area or otherwise esp. sensitive area, inconsiderate to other users, or particularly destructive to purpose built single track. Old quarry sites are also a great place for riding, we just don't happen to have too many out here.
But eperot was talking about Worthington State Forest where the steep ridge and habitat would not be conducive, ever, to motorized use.
There's a reason even bicycles aren't allowed on the Appalachian Trail. Habitat that is sensitive like much of what little preserved space we have left in NJ should stay free of any possible misuse. It's not too hard to patronize areas only 40 minutes away above Marshalls Creek, or - ride smart in the spots mentioned above and don't get caught!

kepa
Jan '17

Josh, you have totally missed my point. I am well aware that we all contribute our fair share to noise pollution (and light, and air, and and and) in our day to day lives. What I am saying is that I agree with the State of NJ in that state owned land devoted to nature conservation and recreation should be recreation limited to the non-motorized variety. There have to be some places where people can, to quote Depeche Mode, "Enjoy the Silence." And it isn't about "me", it's about everyone who wants a place for some outdoor enjoyment where the only sounds are of nature.

eperot eperot
Jan '17

eperot, sorry for the misunderstanding, I took it as you ride state land and keep it quite.

and BTW I am no "environazi" as LJRubi put it. I owned sleds for over 10 years and rode thousands of miles on legal trails in VT and Maine. I just find it funny that most atv, dirtbike riders feel that the state owes them a place to ride. You bought a machine knowing that there is no legal public place to ride in northern NJ and now you feel then need to cry and stomp your feet and complain that the state has somehow done you wrong.

2 cents 2 cents
Jan '17

"now you feel then need to cry and stomp your feet and complain that the state has somehow done you wrong."

Well, if the state is collecting registration fees for ATV's, snowmobiles, etc... that money should be earmarked for public use areas.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '17

The point is everyone needs a place to enjoy their hobby, not every single state land should be anti atv, just as not every single state land should allow atvs.....but riders need a place, and going to a different state is bs....we pay taxes just like everyone else, give us a place to legally ride.

As for me....i bought my own 40 acres so I can do what ever I want.

As for snowmobiles, I go to high point in NJ, or promised land in PA.

Darrin Darrin
Jan '17

Secondly, if NJ has no legal place to ride, then why do we have to "legally" register our machines?

Darrin Darrin
Jan '17

Darrin, would you consider 40 acres sufficient to enjoy your ATV? I ask seriously because we've got about 30 and I keep going back and forth as to weather or not it'll be a waste f money since I can't really ride anywhere else... I always figured I'd have to get one or two when the kids got old enough, but I'm not sure if it would be a total bore for me since there are only a couple of trails around the property...

brendan brendan
Jan '17

Fun yes, sufficient..... You could get board of 200 acres if that's all you had.

The idea is with acreage you can make countless trails with all sorts of different routes and bypasses. You can also build obstacles and jumps to keep yourself occupied.

I enjoy it because I have not explored even 1/2 the property yet. There is always something to be said about riding a new place though.

Darrin Darrin
Jan '17

Get your quad registered and insured in Pennsylvania and ride some of the state parks that allow four wheelers and stuff like that. Lost trails is a phenomenal place to ride! I live on mt rascal and can pretty much ride where I'd like too because it's the woods and not somebody's backyard .

Michael Michael
Jan '17

Michael i live on Mt rascal as well. Is it you I always hear ripping through the woods? Ive only been back there once, not many trails back there...

Potts Potts
Jan '17

Best place by far is Reading Pa Anthesite mine !
Google rider planet and get busy living !
YZ 450 r !

Billy bow legs
Jan '17

My rascal area is about a 1/4 mile trail good if you ride a moped !
Big bore that's what men ride !

Billy bow legs
Jan '17

I can't believe there are people talking down on others who ride ATV quads in NJ. Any motor person understands the urge to ride and how good it is for the soul.

There is a reason why New Jersey has the highest rate of movers leaving the state.

I often hear people say if it has to do with 'fun' it's illegal in NJ.

If you love Motorsports or outdoor hobbies, there is not much fun associated with NJ. (please don't mention camping, hunting, bicycle riding or walking trails (I'll go to sleep)) Yes we have some paintball parks, very few RC car and buggy tracks as well as Englishtown, , Millville and Atco.

We can blame a large amount of the riding restriction on the EPA. I guess they feel that their protecting rare plants while we have so many garbage landfills and power plants in our state.

There has been 10 million dollars set aside to have three designated parks for us to ride in when Governor Corzine was in office. Nothing has been developed since then.

I look at PA and how they have set aside parks for people to ride. I'd rather see people riding in a designated area then someone taking an illegal risk.

If they wanted to encourage safety on ATV's they would make it a priority to set aside land through out the state and not just in South Jersey.

Milky-Ed Milky-Ed
Oct '17

@milky ed I just got back from an atv trip this past weekend. We camped in Pennsylvania and went riding at Anthracite outdoor adventure area and then drove two hours to Rock Run recreation area. Nj needs to preserve some land for us atv and dirt bike riders! Both atv parks were fun!! I own a 2015 Polaris sportsman 570 and I’ll never get rid of it!

Michael Michael
Oct '17

I live in Panther Valley/Hackettstown area. I know many secret places to ride, but it's best an get a dual-purpose bike which I own a tricked out 2012 Honda Xr650L. This is it's easier to ride both on the road/track/trials without the cops coming after me or having a surprise when you return to your trailer, etc. But I do often go to the Lost Trails and Coal Mines in PA to ride my beloved 1986 Honda ATC250R. I'm 45 years old and forever ride till I die......

Titan Titan
Mar '18

Titan- are you part of a club? We're from Long Valley and recently took lessons on how to ride and we both really had a good time. We want to find someone to ride and avoid going out to PA.

Ray Auringer Ray Auringer
Jun '19

Even with a dual sport (as Titan posted a long time ago...) I don't think there are many (if any) legal trails in north NJ. Dual sport is just a "dirt bike" that you can legally ride on the street, but it doesn't magically create legal trails where none otherwise exist. If you ride in some national forests or established fire roads/cuts it helps because those sometimes require "legal" motorcycles to obtain permission to ride.

As far as ATV's in north NJ, I'm afraid your options are pretty much limited to buying a farm/land of your own or trespassing (there ARE trail systems around old railroad tracks, mulch/sand pits, etc... but it's ride/get caught at your own risk).

Not saying I never did that... ~20 years ago I had probably ridden a good portion of the trails around Waterloo Valley Road, Stephens State Park, the Trade Zone, Lackawanna Cutoff, and Allamuchy Park (sometimes legally when I competed in the Ridge Run Enduro that no longer has permission to use that land).

Here's a few that were my old stomping grounds as a kid (I had a GPS logger)... my parents used to live near Lozier/Waterloo Road and I could be out the garage door and on the trails in 30 seconds.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '19

I also logged the course for the 2010 Scrub Pine Enduro (which is the last dirt bike race I entered...) down in South Jersey.

Some of these trails may be open to dual sports since they are fire roads, but I doubt ATV's are allowed.

This event was basically across the street from the the old (now closed) NJ Off Road Vehicle Park, which I also raced at once or twice. It's a shame that everything gets shut down...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '19

AOAA (anthracite outdoor adventure area) is located in Shamokin PA. And has hundreds of acres for dirt bikes, atv's and full size 4x4's. It is a really nice place to ride. Costs $25 a day per driver and $15 for passengers. Check them out. We ride here all the time. We have the year pass at $175.

Tsmith Tsmith
Aug '19

Aoaa is a fun place to ride along with rock run!!

Michael Michael
Aug '19

So, are we saying that I shouldn't even bother buying my own ATV because there are no legal places to ride in NJ? This is an important question because now that I am able to buy one I really want to. But if I can't ride legally in NJ, what's the point? I'd hate to have to drive to PA or upstate NY every time I want to ride. That makes no sense. Thoughts Please!!!

That is exactly why I sold my ATV and haven't ridden my dirt bike in several years.

The state will happily require you to register them (pay) without giving you anything in return for your money.

I even remember reading an article where some town fined a guy for his kids riding in their own yard.

Just get a street legal enduro (yamaha XT Honda xl etc) more fun than a four wheeler anyway...register and insure cheaply

Itiswhatitis
Oct '20

Hey, it is unreal to force you to register, and basically give you nothing. Especially if you could care less about a ownership receipt which I never have for off-road.

Must be relatively new law or I just didn't do it; always had private places to ride.

Thought they "promised" parkland usage as part of the program....saw where it was part of the registration program but seemingly faded away. Here's some spots.

Here's what's left: https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/new_jersey_14145/ride_3a92.htm

https://www.new-jersey-leisure-guide.com/atv-trails.html

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.