Rifle or gun shot

At about 6:35am i heard shots. There was 5 shots 1 first and then 4 consecutive. It was loud to me. Is it hunting season? I had leave in Diamond Hill for 3 years and i neve heard shots so close!

Bella76 Bella76
Nov '14

Yup, hunting season. Sounds like someone filled their freezer with venison this morning!

Heidi Heidi
Nov '14

Hunting only allows 3 shots......four if you have one in the barrel

"No person shall use a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells at one time or that may be fired more than three times without reloading except for the September Canada goose season (see Migratory Bird Regulations) and during a light goose conservation order season, if any."

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Hunting dates:

Youth Deer Bow Hunt Saturday, September 27
Fall Bow Opens September 13 in Early Zones; October 4 Statewide
Permit Bow Season Opens November 1
Youth Deer Firearm Hunt Saturday, November 22
Six-day Firearm Season, December 8-13

Looks like today is youth deer firearm hunt

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Somebody check on JR......

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Nov '14

I could be more than one person shooting......it's life in Warren County

Nosila Nosila
Nov '14

Disgusting!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Nov '14

Here we go again

Philliesman Philliesman
Nov '14

Thats all Im saying.

Nov '14

Re: Rifle or gun shot

"more than three shells at one time or that may be fired more than three times without reloading"

You can top off a shotgun in a couple seconds, even before it's empty, and still comply with the 3 round tube limit. Not that you typically would do this as a hunter (fast reloading is typically a 3-gun competition thing), but it's possible.

Or, if you REALLY need to load fast, build something like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Hs4do69ms

"Disgusting!"

The picture says it all...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

I call the cops all the time for gunshots. Someone keeps shooting between 4 am and 6 am. Real genius discharging a firearm in the dark. I hate hunters. You want to hunt something.....get a knife and go track a bear. Put some sport into it. Dont just sit in a tree and drink all day and then blow Bambi out of the woods with a rifle designed to kill an elephant. Losers....all of them.

ihatehuning
Nov '14

Good, because nobody needs nastiness this early in the morning.

Heidi Heidi
Nov '14

Does this mean I can mow my grass now or is it still too early?

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

"Dont just sit in a tree and drink all day and then blow Bambi out of the woods with a rifle designed to kill an elephant. Losers....all of them."

What? OMG. Amazing how clueless and uninformed some people are. Sigh.....

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

I would love to know how botheredbyuu2 would have survived in the 18th and 19th century in this country.

btownguy btownguy
Nov '14

Bagged me a 12-pt'er this morning.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

Here's a good one

I agree calico, some people are just completely clueless and for some reason have convinced themselves of some sort of profile.

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Nice to see people hunting and eating healthy wild game.

2 cents
Nov '14

I want to see all these anti-hunters, save Bambi types put their money where their mouth is. How many dollars have they contributed to wildlife management?

Here's a little-known tidbit... due to the Pittman-Robertson Act of 1937, 11% of every gun, bullet, bow, arrow, and hunting license sold is collected as tax that's allocated to state wildlife management programs. Not just "hunting" guns... every single firearm sold.

http://www.nssf.org/factsheets/PDF/PittmanRobertsonFacts.pdf

So you can thank us gun owners and hunters for footing the bill to ensure the continued health of wildlife, while you sit on your couch and pretend to care.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

These same anti-hunters are the ones crying when those dang overpopulated wild animals jump out in front of their cars.

Man, maybe they could just disappear instead!

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Just be glad that you do not live near an outdoor range. A few blasts in NW NJ is what it is; you may want to consider moving East...

Those who don't approve about my given right to hunt and provide food for my family can move! Im a hunter and proud of it and by the way im a women!

"ihatehuning"

What's huning and why do you hate it?

darwin darwin
Nov '14

emaxx, that's funny!! and bothered why say anything at all then ? kind of stupid to make a statement that you KNOW will get a reaction only to follow with "that's all I'm saying" If you don't want to have the conversation or can't back up your statement with anything that makes sense then you shouldn't bother

"Whats huning" LMAO!

Some corrections to their post

It is law that you can begin firing at 1/2 a hour prior to sunrise, law is law....

Also about the blowing Bambi out of the woods....Bambi technically was a baby deer, since it is illegal to shoot baby deer, that is definitely not what happens.

It is also illegal to drink while hunting, you would be arrested for consuming alcohol while in possession of a loaded weapon.

And also rifles are illegal in NJ, you must use a shotgun.

Somebody needs to get their facts straight

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Emaxxman, that better not be Rudolph incognito!!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Nov '14

Maybe we should have an anti-hunter season and really give them a reason to hate us hunters

Bambi
Nov '14

leave the hunters alone..their just trying to feed their families..i don't think they should have to pay to hunt.i never saw a deer farm where they breed them then turn them out in the woods.like they do when they stock fish during fishing season..

tunnel rat tunnel rat
Nov '14

Emaxxman: Is that a picture of weeanimal who bagged the 12pter? Somehow I could just picture ianimal posting this picture also...Very clever!

joyful joyful
Nov '14

Who hates hunters? I gotta go now. I heard shop rite is running low on tofurkey vegetarian feast and I want my free one for thursday.

A good day
Nov '14

We don't eat anything that my husband doesn't catch (fish), trap (lobsters, crab), shoot (deer, turkeys, wild boar, etc). The stuff in the supermarkets and butcher shops are full of antibiotics, are not fed right, are abused and die a terrible death.

All those anti-hunters who complain about hunters "killing Bambi" while they eat a steak are clueless regarding what they feed the animals, inject the animals with and how they treat those poor things.

I, for one, would much rather live a great life for a few years, running around the woods, eating what I am supposed to eat and what I like, (can't shoot a dear until they older), and then get shot dead instantly, not knowing what hit me, than be abused and overcrowded my whole life and then walk down the path to get my throat cut so I can bleed to death (after watching all my friends and family get their throats sliced open.

Clueless.

Heidi Heidi
Nov '14

Agreed Heidi! +1

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Nov '14

i would shoot myself before i ate anything named tofuky.

tunnel rat tunnel rat
Nov '14

Short article from The Onion:

VERONA, WI—., Friends report that HVAC installer Kirk Pulver has markedly similar advice on both relationships and deer hunting. "You have to dress either to blend in with the scenery or to stand out from it, depending on the situation, but either way, you want to disguise your scent," said Pulver to friends at a local tavern. "You have to find out where they eat, where they sleep, where they pee, and when they're most likely to be off guard. Then, when you've got a clear look at their rack and you're sure they're legal, bam! You take 'em." Pulver's associates noted that he has not bagged a deer or a woman in six years.

yankeefan yankeefan
Nov '14

Agree 100% Heidi. Well said. Anyone who has read The Omnivore's Dilemma or Eating Animals will agree that animals who are hunted lead better lives than CAFO-raised animals. The way I see it, the more safe, responsible hunting that is done, the fewer animals in CAFO situations there will be, which is better for the overall animal population.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '14

Emaxxman. Love that picture!!

Bella76 Bella76
Nov '14

+100 Heidi

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

Agree 100% Heidi. I don't have anything against hunters. I actually love to go fishing. Not that many girlfriends that like to do that. I grew up in the city in Peru so I buy my meat at the super market :( . I never ate deer before so maybe Can somebody tell me where can I get a few lbs to just try. Dont know how to cook it though?! I don't know if I ever would go hunting for deer unless I really have to. I love animals too much and if a see a Deer I would probably make him my pet LOL

Bella76 Bella76
Nov '14

It's awfully nice of Heidi to offer herself up like that. What goes good with Heidi? I'm thinking spaetzle and cabbage with Heidischnitzel. And lots of Jagermeister. Lots of it.

iPhone-imall iPhone-imall
Nov '14

That's a sentimental thought, Rebecka, but it doesn't hold water.
An extremely small percentage of Americans hunt -- I read 7%.
That will not affect the number of factory farmed animals. Consider too what is hunted ---- cows? pigs? chickens? goats? Hunting will not reduce the number of these animals in CAFO situations.
Don't get me wrong, I am against CAFO as you are, but hunting will not solve that dilemma.

hapiest girl
Nov '14

iPhone-imall - I'd say Lebanese Mezza samplers where she and her boyfriend are regulars:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/498778#t646278

"an extremely small percentage of Americans hunt -- I read 7%. That will not affect the number of factory farmed animals."

I think it could affect it by up to 7%.

"pigs?"

Wild hogs are *extensively* hunted across the US. They are generally considered a pest species with no bag limits.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

Wasn't me... I just counted all my ammo... nothing missing.

;)

Yo Mark- I'm a member now :)

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Nov '14

"Yo Mark- I'm a member now :)"

Just in time for the cold weather!

The indoor range is still closed for improvements (until next week) but after that we should setup some targets. You get anything new lately?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

This would be a step in the right direction for hunting everywhere...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/foghorn/hunting-silencers-now-legal-florida/

Oh wait, suppressors are illegal to possess in NJ and you will go to jail.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

You have convinced me. I bought a gun and a frozen turkey today. I am so much happier

A good day
Nov '14

"I bought a gun and a frozen turkey today. I am so much happier."

Did you know that a frozen turkey is bullet proof?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yySo4p2f_wM

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

Nothing new, honestly I've been waiting to have someplace to go regularly before buying anything else.... so I guess I'll go do a little pistol this winter, but if there's any "indian summer days" in there, like 55 or above, I'm heading to the rifle range.

Nov '14

How many little birds and bunnies are killed in the field when those big grain combines run through? Vegetarian diet isn't blood free. Venison.. yum! Nice tenderloin in the cast iron skillet.. and ground venison in the freezer!

hktownie hktownie
Nov '14

Heidi said, "All those anti-hunters who complain about hunters "killing Bambi" while they eat a steak are clueless regarding what they feed the animals, inject the animals with and how they treat those poor things.

I, for one, would much rather live a great life for a few years, running around the woods, eating what I am supposed to eat and what I like, (can't shoot a dear until they older), and then get shot dead instantly, not knowing what hit me, than be abused and overcrowded my whole life and then walk down the path to get my throat cut so I can bleed to death (after watching all my friends and family get their throats sliced open."

Thanks Heidi. This should be the canned response to anyone that is against hunting but still eats any kind of meat, fish, Jello, etc. Very hypocritical unless they are truly vegan. I don't begrudge a true vegan for having an opinion against killing animals; at least they are being true to themselves.

Bella 76 If you would like to try deer meat you can find it in the local food pantry's Warren County. Non-profit organizations thank the "hunter's" for their donations.

sassi sassi
Nov '14

"I've been waiting to have someplace to go regularly before buying anything else."

My purchasing hiatus is budget related ;) I've been eyeing the 10/22 Takedown though...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

Mark -

I was looking on Shongum's site for the directions to build a rifle target, but it doesn't seem to be on there anymore.... do you still have the plans? I'm sure I could cobble something together either way, but your setup was pretty cool.

Nov '14

My best guess is Donaldson's shooting deer I am sure they have a permit to do so that permit allows them to shoot any time day or night I'm sure if you heard four shots in a row there were more than one person. The only wild game you are allowed to hunt with the plug taken out of your shotgun to hold more shotgun shells is geese

oldred
Nov '14

ian - I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I didn't realize we were speaking for the animals.

I'm not going to pretend to have more emotions for a caged animal over a "free range" animal. At the end of the day, the result is the same - grilled/roasted/slow cooked/etc. There is nothing wrong with hunting (I personally fish and eat my catch.) Humans have been hunting since the dawn of man. We're omnivores. It's OK to eat meat but let's get off of this "hunter's soapbox" of "we're doing the animals a favor." We didn't do them any favors when we hunted them with spears and we're not doing them a favor now by loading them up with some buckshot.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

joyful - Someone posted the pic on Facebook and it seemed appropriate for the thread.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

I think it's also pretty rare for a deer to be "shot dead instantly". I'm always hearing stories about how far people have to follow the blood trail to find them. I'm not sure it's any less traumatic to be shot in the wild than bled out in captivity. Maybe, maybe not... I can't really speak for them like Dr. Doolittle can.

iPhone-imall iPhone-imall
Nov '14

Here are the dimensions for the stand I made from 1x2's that hooks into the plates on the backstop log.

Just a "ladder" that's screwed and glued at the corners and has a 2x3' peice of corrugated plastic stapled to the front.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

I also added some legs/hinges to give it a free standing option. The rope with the fender washers hold the legs at the right distance and lets me fold it up to throw in the truck.

My other frame, from 2x3's is much heavier duty and is basically built like a swingset. Overkill for paper targets, but it's good for the steel plates. I'd like to design something more quickly collapsible with wheels so I can roll it out to the range instead of having to carry all the pieces.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

Hee, hee, hee!!

auntiel auntiel
Nov '14

People hunting responsibly and safely should be encouraged, but is Fish and Game really helping to keep deer at a healthy level? Seems to me they're way overpopulated, and the state shouldn't be managing open fields and such to encourage their habitat for hunting. Kind of like releasing a captive tame pheasant into the ecosystem when there are plenty of tuekeys to hunt.
So why are there not more aggressive doe hunts, and why is the deer population seemingly growing? any explanation hunters?

kepa
Nov '14

Thanks Mark, I'm going to do some online digging and see if anyone has come up with the "perfect" solution.... the 1x2's are definitely required for the 100yd distance, but yes- we need something freestanding for shorter. You solution looks like a pretty good one.

Nov '14

If you guys are going to shoot targets closer than the 100 yard mark, make sure your stands are high enough to avoid shooting into the grass or the berm in front of the 100 yd. target supports. The RO told me high enough for 6 feet at center of target (mine weren't.)

This, of course, assuming we're all members of the same place.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Nov '14

6 feet high at the center would be too tall, I think.

The stand I posted above has the target between 3 and 6 feet, and my other one centers them around ~3 to 4 feet and they look fine (never had the RO comment on their height being a concern).

I usually shoot at 100 yard distances anyway, so anything 6" or higher would work ;)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

6 feet center of target sounds awfully high.... like, in-danger-of-shooting-over-the-backstop-if-you're-closer-than-100yds too high... an RO told you that? Are you sure you understood him correctly?

At the RSO (Range Safety Orientation), they mentioned making your own target stands, and said some plans were on the website, but they didn't give any specs at all (like height)...

On the rifle range, I like to shoot at several distances, 25, 50, and 100, and need something that can adjust to the application- like Mark's above. At 6' tall, I'm not sure it'll fit into the CRV, will have to measure. (it'll fit into my truck, but I have little room inside my truck for the guns, becuase it's a work truck full of tools and such)

Nov '14

NJ.com Hunter shoots and kills son on hunting trip in Mercer Cty Saturday.

Enough said!

Nov '14

C'mon bothered. Really?

Hunting accidents happen, just like car accidents happen. Far more people are injured and killed in car accidents than hunting accidents. Should we all stop driving?

Additionally, more people are are shot and killed not hunting than are. What about this story out of Allentown? Man shoots wife, then self. Wife lives, husband dies. Certainly no "accident" there.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/allentown/index.ssf/2014/11/allentown_tries_to_kill_wife_s.html

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

Not a fan Calico, thats all. Updated, he shot himself. Wow! The real story will eventually come outl

Nov '14

"not a fan"

You're allowed. But trying to condemn hunting by posting about a hunting accident? Might as well ban cars, swimming pools, high school sports, motorcycles, cell phones, ladders..... all are guilty of causing death.

Nov '14

Between 200 and 400 *thousand* people die from medical malpractice each year (that's 6 to 13x the number killed by guns).

http://www.propublica.org/article/how-many-die-from-medical-mistakes-in-us-hospitals

Ban doctors.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

Don't forget about the amount of salmonella cases that will be diagnosed over the holidays from improper food handling. Better not celebrate them.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Nov '14

Ha!ha! great idea.... I think we should stop worrying about the potential dangers of guns, cars, pools, phones, etc... and just ban certain people from our lives lol! They have been known to cause far more damage than any of the accidents named above lol!

To those eating Veggie, as I understand it, soybeans are all now genetically modified.
I prefer natural foods.

Mr 4paws

4paws 4paws
Nov '14

All he said was "there was an accident, enough said".

Nov '14

Non GMO soy is readily available.

A good day
Nov '14

"Not a fan Calico, thats all. Updated, he shot himself. Wow! The real story will eventually come outl"

I must say that the story changing from a hunter who shot his son to a hunter who shot himself is pretty dramatic

Seems like someone needs to get their story straight before spreading BS. We get enough BS everyday from our political media!

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Sarcasm mg. U should know that.

Philliesman Philliesman
Nov '14

JR - it was the RSO (not RO...sorry) who told me that. Looking on the target frame .pdf on their website it says the dimensions of the approved frame are 24" w x 72"h with a three-foot target area. I'm pretty sure I heard him say 6 feet to center of target, though I could have misheard.

I would stick to the dimensions on the .pdf (go to site, click on range rules at left, then scroll down. It is just above NRA basic safety rules.)

The RSO is a reasonable guy. He let me move my too-short frame back to the 75 yard line, where the target area just cleared the grass berm.

I know what you are saying about fitting the frames in a vehicle. My too-short one barely fit in my hatchback. Guess I'll have to hinge the new ones.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Nov '14

No GMO now? I guess I should get rid of my seedless grapes.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

4paws,
If you prefer "natural" foods, then I wonder what you eat. You sound not completely aware af what is in your food if you make the statement that "soybeans are all now genetically modified". There are many foods that are genetically modified ---- but non-genetically modified versions of the same foods are available, including soy.
The loaf of supermarket bread that you will make your Thanksgiving stuffing from has genetically modified ingredients. And if you prefer "natural" foods you would be wise not to get your Thanksgiving turkey from the supermarket. Just one of many possible unnatural things you will be consuming is the drug Ractopamine which is added to turkey feed.

hapiest girl
Nov '14

http://www.nssf.org/PDF/research/Hunting%20Safe%20Activity%20Chart%20NSSF%20branded.pdf

Looks like the facts are here...

Maybe heights should be outlawed first...

Bobb - Don't muck up a good, controversial thread with facts. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

Sorry, I should have known better

Are the facts really there Bobb?

Read the footnotes:
"(a) Number of Participants: National Sporting Goods Association (NSGA) Sports Participation 2010 estimates.
(b) Total Injuries: Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS) 2010 estimates. Per CPSC, NEISS injury data may contain
both injury and fatality figures for some activities. The majority of injuries are non-fatal, and specific breakouts of injury versus fatality data by activity are unavailable.
* Hunting with firearms total injuries/incidents include CPSC NEISS injury data for Tree Stands (hunting) as well as estimated injuries from IHEA Hunter Incident Clearinghouse."

What that means is Total Participants is estimated by one organization, most injury statistics are from CPSC, and Hunting Incidents are CPSC for Tree Stand injuries only and the rest from the IHEA. Sounds scientific eh.

The IHEA is "is comprised of members of the shooting sports, outdoor and hunting industries and non-profit groups." Uh oh, sounds like the fox is in the henhouse. Current board members include Mossberg, Ruger, Hornady Ammo, and a number of other industry wanks.

So you undoubtedly have methodology issues favoring those with vested interests like Hunting Associates and Gun Manufacturers. For example, when you look at most sports, I am sure the CPSC included practice sessions, scrimmages, etc. Did the IHEA include practices or just hunting? Wanna guess.

While I am sure hunting rates very low on the injury and mortality scale, just saying that this is clearly not apples to apples.

Plus, not that many people face intentional murder by hockey stick, oh but wait, you're just talking sports......................................until your next chart wise-guy.

So your "factual data" was put together by The National Shooting Sports Associations (wanna guess who's on their board?) including a mish mosh of data from a variety of sources, the salient data re:guns was made up by the IHEA which is basically gun manufacturers. Wonder what orefice they pulled this out of. Just because they look like numbers, does not mean they are facts. Just saying.

Nov '14

Your next chart, the pie chart, has nothing to do with hunting.

Do you really want to go into guns...................again.....

Because you started with a really poor defense.

Nov '14

mg, "until your next chart wise-guy"

God!!!, bob posted a link and a chart, barely said anything at all, didn't even direct anything to you(MG), and you are insulting him? real nice!!!!

"Because you started with a really poor defense."

Now ain't that a case of the pot calling the kettle black!

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

mistergoogle

I read the footnotes:

Yes it is an estimate, but it is based off of statistics.

Sure, firearm manufacturers are going to be members of the IHEA. They will stick with their industry.

All I wanted to do was post an estimate, but if you want to know more give the IHEA a call. I'm sure they'll be happy to answer your questions.

The pie chart clearly says "Unintentional Fatalities", murder with a hockey stick is more than likely going to be intentional.... wise-guy.

All I was doing was posting an estimate. If you want hard facts, here is something a little more reliable :
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2238679

HackettstownLiFE seems to be the online version of the UK "public house" model, sans beer and face-to-face contact....OK, maybe not sans beer, or stronger spirits.

These places might be great for venting one's spleen, but I'll bet that no one has had their minds changed on guns, religion, politics, hunting or any other lightning-rod topic. These places also would seem to have a pretty lousy track record on changing the mass consciousness through intellectual discourse, given the UK's rather oppressive taxation/welfare/nanny state.

Non-intellectual discourse, though, seems to have an effect. Professional sports and establishment politics seem to feed here.

Then again, for stuff we actually have personal control over...like where to eat, get your car fixed and other stuff like that...the model works fine.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Nov '14

"These places might be great for venting one's spleen, but I'll bet that no one has had their minds changed on guns, religion, politics, hunting or any other lightning-rod topic."

True for the "die hard" positions on both sides, but I know more people who have become gun owners due in part to these topics than people who have given up guns due to these topics, so I don't think we'll stop posting the facts that help others see through the spin.

Also why some of us try to keep the name calling to a minimum... others, not so much.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

Thanks Bobb...

justintime justintime
Nov '14

There is definitely some bantering that goes on when hot topics such as guns, politics, and hunting are discussed.There has also been a great deal of knowledgeable facts and useful information posted here as well.

I think it is helpful to many of us and I enjoy reading everyone's opinion. I have gotten to know some fellow posters personally and had the opportunity to learn how to handle/shoot guns safely which I may not have considered before. I will also add that I am in the process of purchasing my own firearm. So yes, I do believe that posting relevant facts can change a persons viewpoint.

JRT,
I would be interested to know why, at this point in your life, when you never had a gun before , do you feel the need to have a gun now?
Has there been some circumstance in your life that makes you feel that you need a gun now? You have not spoken of anything, so I suspect not.
What are you so afraid of?

hapiest girl
Nov '14

Haha! Hapiest girl are you my psychiatrist now?

Who said I was afraid of anything?

Hapiest Girl,

Do you have life insurance? Why? What are you afraid of?

Do you have health insurance? Why? What are you afraid of?

Do you have auto insurance (of course you do, it's the law), what are you afraid of?

It's something you are glad you have when the time comes that you need it. The fact you haven't needed your insurances yet doesn't mean it isn't prudent to keep them.

And that's completely ignoring the fact that it's a constitutional right, right alongside freedom of speech and many others, and all of the sporting uses, both hunting and non-hunting.

Nov '14

Why is it almost every time a firearm is brought up people think about the negatives? Shooting at a range gives a lot of people a great deal of enjoyment. I have been shooting for sport for about 15 years now. Some people like to race their cars on a track, toss a ball on the court, or cast a line into a river. I like to fire rounds down range. If you enjoy it, keep doing it.

Bobb, just watch the news. Guns = fear.

justintime justintime
Nov '14

I would love to see someone track and kill a bear with a knife.

hunter4lyfe
Nov '14

Guns don't = fear, idiots with guns = fear

Shady Shady
Nov '14

I'll answer happiest girl's question she posed to JRT.

Speaking for myself, what am I afraid of? I am afraid of a tyrannical government trying to take away my guns, gold, home, etc. I am afraid there might be, someday, another Hitler or Stalin (don't laugh and say it can't happen - it has). I am afraid of a home invasion like the one that happened to my cousins in South Jersey.

Personally, as much as I fear these things, I don't LIVE in fear because I have the ability to protect myself and my family in the (unlikely, but possible) event that any of these things come to pass.

Just like JeffersonRepub I consider my firearms and my firearm practice/training just another form of insurance like my homeowners insurance, car insurance and life insurance.

It's called being READY for anything, but HOPEFUL I will never have to use any of them any time soon.

Heidi Heidi
Nov '14

"Looks like the facts are here..." "Yes it is an estimate, but it is based off of statistics."
No Bobb, the facts are not here. No Bob, it's not statistics, it's a pure guess made by those who earn their living by selling guns and ammo.

And then to roll out a chart on unintentional fatalities that has nothing to do with the topic of hunting and sports is more silliness. It's a strawman at best since the major cause of death by firearm is clearly not unintentional, a FACT not equivalent to any found in any of the other activities mentioned.

You're just polishing the turd by piling crap on top of a guess.

Meanwhile, if someone points out the inaccuracy in your facts, it's deemed negativity towards the sport..... even if they say: "While I am sure hunting rates very low on the injury and mortality scale"

I never said there's something wrong with the sport, I said there's something wrong with your data, your facts. And then someone calls me a pot........oh the inhumanity of it all.

But tell you what Bobb, unlike you and your lack of rigor in finding and following up on facts, I found a true gunnie and I asked him. Here's what he said: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/12/foghorn/the-truth-about-the-nssfs-hunting-safety-claims/

Nov '14

Even if their data is off by a factor of 10, firearms deaths are still low on the list, especially those that occur while hunting.

The NSSF promotes more real gun safety initiatives in a day than any gun control organization does in a lifetime. How many free gun locks (among other things) have the likes of MDA or the Brady Campaign handed out? To claim that they are skewing data solely to inflate sales is quite a stretch.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

I guess the anti-hunters would rather see a deer in chunks laying on the road. I almost hit a pile of deer parts last night on Rt 46 in Budd Lake. Such a humane way to die right....

Metsman Metsman
Nov '14

"To claim that they are skewing data solely to inflate sales is quite a stretch."

this is true mark, it's an unsubstantiated conclusion that has no basis in fact, (one more strawman argument poorly executed and poorrly thought through but loudly trumpeted as 'vetted', which is another lie)

the 'big lie' technique (which Goebbels used to great effect) is employed over and over again by those who have run out of reasonable discussion points, the typical resort to name calling and character assassination is pathetic and telling. time to wake up and smell the coffee. we are on to the deception and the cheap tricks used to propagate it

is honesty too much to ask for around here ?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

I am not even getting sucked into this BS with MG again, we have all been down the road time and time again.

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

I love animals. I don't like to see them killed but after having 3 near misses in two weeks because deer run into the road and due to their overpopulation I think its more humane to kill them for food. I saw one that was hit and couldn't move. I'm sure they are in pain and probably had to be shot.

NancyU NancyU
Nov '14

right nancy, the deer herd is 300 % larger today than it was during the 1700's,

this is due to the greater availability of cultivated land. cultivated land can support more deer per acre than natural woodlands can. hence the increase in deer population.

more controlled hunts that supply the NJ food bank with fresh venison seems like a natural synergy to me.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

Close Brother dog. Its not the increased cultivated land that's important, its the increased amount of edge habitat. That is a mix of open lands with food sources, and woodlands with cover. Those open lands include farmland, but also suburban lawns, corporate lawns, golf courses and so on.

gadfly gadfly
Nov '14

right, meant to describe it more fully, 'cultivated' land includes most of suburbia, and the golf courses, not just farmland, corn fields etc.

thanks for the clarification gadfly

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

Mistergoogle,

I posted a link to the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health. Two organizations that compile nothing but statistics to give the most accurate report possible.

Unless you have a time machine there is no way you "asked" him. The article is from 2011. Also, unlike you and your lack of rigor in supporting what you say with facts; I posted a link to a credible source. Now its your turn, find a credible unbiased source with nothing but facts to support your view.

Even when I say "While I am sure hunting rates very low on the injury and mortality scale" over and over you get mad. Even though I have been a hunter in my youth, you think I am against it. Even though I said bring on the bear hunt, feel free to thin the deer herd, you think I am against hunting....... And then to prove my guilt via the fact I used the word "wise-guy" which is oh so tame by your own spew standards is laughable.

I told you why Bobb's factual statistical data is not factual or statistical. That is a fact. I provided documented support from a gun advocate no less.

And I said over and over, it's not that I don't believe the conclusions, it's just that the data collected to prove it is horse hockey pucks. Nice charts and pretty words do not the truth provide.

I have no problem with hunting. I am sure, in the scheme of things it's safe with no more nuts than any other sport. I would love to see less bear, even no bear, and far less deer in NJ, not a problem. But lies are lies, whether you agree or not, and that's a fact, jack.

Nov '14

The habitat change obviously isn't going to be reversed in any foreseeable future. At this point, I see only two things that could reduce the deer population to a "healthy" size. One would be the emergence of some disease that severely knocks back the deer population. The other would be a change in the law that prohibits the sale of wild venison. Allow hunters to sell deer meat, and maybe we could get the kind of hunting pressure that would actually reduce the population.

gadfly gadfly
Nov '14

Well when you start calling names and refer to the firearm industry as "wanks" I am going to think you are against what I am saying. If I feel someone is against what I believe in then I am going to stand for what I believe in. Plus if you're on my side then why are you arguing?

Best not to argue with mrgoogle. I have gotten sucked in many times in the past and he tends to name call and play the "my data is better than your data" game. He did the same thing with me. Also, After a while you don't even know what your arguing about with him, because he goes from trying to "prove you wrong" to denying he is against the very thing he is arguing and calling you names about. It's not just guns, its other issues too.

Quite frankly, by the time you finally realize your going in circles with him, it's too late - you already played his game.

Funny thing is, usually after many, many looooooong posts and arguing with everyone you can't even tell what his position really is.

Heidi Heidi
Nov '14

I'm starting to notice that. I think he just has nothing better to do and likes to harass people.

Excuse me, what you do you call a paid industry employee joining a non-profit organization creating factual disinformation and then pasting it to Consumer Product Safety Commission statistics and calling it "facts?" I know, you call it believable credible statistical evidence of a proof positive. I call it lies and the perpetrators as self-serving sycophants or, yes, I think wank applies in either it's first or second meaning: I prefer the second. For all you know, these industry people get paid for their efforts at the non-profit via money, free time, or both.

The only thing I am arguing, if that's what you call it when you're not calling it harassment, is the credibility of the facts you posted, of which there is none.

And no, I did ask by way of a question posed via, of course, google. The fact that his personal response was from 2011 does not change that. I mean it's not like we're having a conversation or that everything I has posted is even current. It's the internet dude, time is relative.

I am not against what you believe in Bobb. I don't have the inclination to find a credible source to support my or your point of view which is probably the same as yours as far as hunting accidents, safety of hunting, and even loving hunting as a sport. And as far as everyone else's views on me, the length of my ....posts, my feelings towards guns, arguing, spending time, whatever, all of that has nothing to do with this so kindly post something pertinent or just bugger off.

But the chart was bogus Bobb, still is and always will be.

Nov '14

Unreal....➕10000 Heidi and bob,

mg, zip it, no one wants to hear ur bs, as you can tell u have burnt too many bridges on this forum!

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

wow...tough crowd, mg..... LOL

Nov '14

LOL... Nice.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '14

Figured I would post this pretty picture so our resident anti-gunners don't have nightmares tonight

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

I'm so confused... I thought AR-15's were all Evil Black Rifles (TM)...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

My wife wants one so bad, but I have her convinced I don't have any more room in the safe!

I am guessing that excuse will wear off quickly though when I finally get my hands on a wasr-10

NOBODY SHOW HER THIS PICTURE!

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Wow, love that pink AR-15!

Heidi Heidi
Nov '14

Careful Darrin, she'll just send your gun out for a nice pink Duracoat since there is no space for any more...

Also note... gun safes usually have a Black Friday sale at Dick's and Tractor Supply.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

Oh Mark, I already have enough safes and enough room, that's just what I tell her though!

I am still waiting for the dicks special Mossberg 500, 20 guage field/deer to drop to it's $299 price that it always seems to do, That should be a good gun for her.

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

That combo will be $319.98 this year.

They have some decent deals on other guns... Savage Mark II GXP for $149.98 is a great price for a nice .22 with a scope. You can get a Maverick 88 (Mossberg 500 clone - even takes the same barrels/tubes/stocks) for $179.98.

The problem is the lines/wait, the fact that NICS is closed on Thursday (so you can buy but not take home), and that Dick's threw gun owners underthe bus when they stopped selling MSR's a couple years ago.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

ok, question: what is the best cartridge fro use in a rifle and a pistol? i.e. .45 acp is great for a pistol, and you can find rifles that will chamber it but it's not so great as a rifle round.

what one cartdige would serve both reasonably well?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

"and that Dick's threw gun owners underthe bus when they stopped selling MSR's [modern sporting rifles] a couple years ago."

Yup. F*#k Dick's Sporting Goods.

Nov '14

9mm, .40, and .45 are a bit underpowered for rifle usage, but you can get them in carbines like the Beretta CX4 (which would be a cool combo if you have the PX4 handgun).

If you like traditional lever action rifles you can go .357 magnum or .44 magnum, which are great revolver rounds as well. Good lever actions are a bit pricey, though.

Don't forget .22LR ;) Everyone should have at least one handgun and one rifle in that caliber.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

yep .44 magnum is on my list, looking at winchester lever action and maybe a ruger revolver, what do you think? any semi-auto pistols in .44 magnum?

any other combo's come to mind?

is there a pistol chambered in .30-.30 ?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

https://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-3030-Win-Revolver-10-inch-Barrel.asp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blyutRNQMc0

skippy skippy
Nov '14

Do your research on Winchester lever actions. The old ones are better, but obviously harder to find and more expensive. I'm not an expert in that area, but I've seen plenty of comments to that effect. Check out Henry Arms as well.

Can't go wrong with a Ruger revolver. I have a couple of them (all of my handguns are Ruger, and the .357 magnum revolver was the first gun I bought). They get a bit of a bad rap for their triggers compared to Smith & Wesson, but mine are fine. I did shoot one at a class (SP101 I think) in .22LR that was pretty bad but I don't know if it had any problems/maintenance issues.

Probably not going to find much of anything semi-auto for the .44 mag since it's a long rimmed cartridge. I know there are a few semi-auto .357's (also rimmed) out there as custom/special editions but I wouldn't trust it as a primary handgun. I think there's as .44 mag Desert Eagle but it's kind of a beast.

Magnum Research (same people that make Desert Eagles) have a .30-30 revolver with a 10" barrel, if you want to do your best impression of Tackleberry from Police Academy.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

yeah, i like henry rifles, also the new winchesters look good to me, been checking thme out, need to compare the marlins next

i'm not much of deer hunter so the 30-30 probably is not for me.

.44 mag seems the best all around choice for a combo, still gathering info on this, so please keep the comments flowing in

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

I think a Ruger Redhawk/Super Redhawk and a Henry Big Boy would be an excellent combo. As your collection grows you could add a single action Ruger Blackhawk series revolver (if those interest you - not really my cup of tea).

Here's a bit about the difference between the Redhawk revolvers:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/ruger-redhawk-vs-super-redhawk.html

Newer firearms from Marlin (part of the Freedom Group conglomerate) have quality concerns, probably even more so than newer Winchesters.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/12/chris-dumm/marlintfg-lever-action-quality-circling-the-drain/

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

i know even the old marlins jammed a lot, they have had issues with designs, the elevators, parts not machined well

that's not a new thing for them,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

The only Marlin I've ever shot is my dad's .22 bolt action from probably the 60's or 70's.

Of course, lever actions are much more complicated than a bolt action, so quality machining is a must.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

I firmly believe every single household in America should own a firearm, but the firearms license should require a safety class.

Pride Pride
Nov '14

+1000 Pride

Heidi Heidi
Nov '14

Periodically I hear gunshots coming from in the area of Baldwin's farm which borders Diamond Hill

DiaHillRes2 DiaHillRes2
Nov '14

Hi- on Thursday the 4th saw a hunter with a rifle up on the hill next to grand ave and before the RR bridge. On old Morris canal path. He said that it was state property and could hunt there. Believe me I didn't ask him he just offered. Seems awfully close to houses and a trail that is used by non hunters. Does anyone know if that property is for hunting? If yes do they not hunt there on Sundays?

A good day
Dec '14

It wasn't a rifle...

Whether non hunters "use" land does not determine if hunting is permitted. Aren't there "hunting" icons on the signs at Stephen's Park? Distance to houses is all that matters (legally), not distance to trails.

Hunting is allowed in certain areas on Sunday. Not sure of all the specifics though.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '14

Thank you, Mark. We will just continue to be careful where we walk. And wear orange.

A good day
Dec '14

Deer hunting BY BOW is only permitted on Sundays on private land and state lands that are managed as Wildlife Managment Areas by Division of Fish and Wildlife. If it is state land, the signs should indicate whether it's a WMA. Sunday bow hunting is not permitted on municipal or county lands, or state lands that are not WMAs.

There is no GUN deer hunting permitted on Sundays in NJ on any properties. Gun hunting for upland birds is permitted on certain specially designated private lands. You can tell these lands bc they are posted with "semi-wild preserve" signs.

There is no minimum distance for hunting from a trail or road. For occupied structures and playgrounds, the min distance is 450 feet for gun hunting and 150 feet for bow hunting.

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

Thanks, Gadfly. I really need to get outside in the winter so will continue to go to the parks but will be careful even on Grand Ave!

A good day
Dec '14

ihatehuning - don't you think perhaps the police have better things to do than constantly answer your unfounded and obvious hunting phone calls several times a week (it seems). You're probably one of those neighbors who calls at the sight of fun or drop of a pin in your neighborhood. Sad.

Someone mention farmers shooting. They do not need a permit to shoot on their lands not do they need rifle permits. So watch out! ;)

Was up at merrill creek reservoir on Sunday and heard gunshots on their property. Did see signs with some info posted. I guess if you want to go out and hike assume there are hunters in the area and take precautions at least wear orange. Better to be safe than shot accidentally.

A good day
Dec '14

Starting today and ending Saturday is the 6-day firearms season, also known as "gun week" or "buck week". It is the most popular week of the year for hunters to hunt deer with firearms - shotguns or black powder rifles. Its a good idea to stay out of the woods this week, or at least wear blaze orange.

gadfly gadfly
Dec '14

well well well...... NPR reporting........

For the first time in at least 20 years, significantly more Americans say it's more important to protect the right to own guns than it's more important to control gun ownership, according to the Pew Research Center.

The survey found that more than half of Americans (52 percent) sided with gun rights compared to the 46 percent who favored gun control.

The findings represent the continuation of a shift that was only briefly interrupted by the Newtown, Conn., school shootings in 2012.

In April 2007, the Pew survey found only 32 percent of Americans said it was more important to protect the right to own guns, while 60 percent said it was more important to control gun ownership.

Pew says its survey, conducted during the first week of this month, also found that well over half of Americans said that owning a gun protects people from crime.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/10/369945677/gun-rights-outweigh-gun-control-in-new-pew-survey?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2036

Dec '14

I stepped out onto my deck yesterday and the gun blast was so loud I thought i would turn and see a hunter in my woods. I'm use to the noise of hunting......I hear gunshots all the time...even when it's not in season and maybe people are just target practicing. I've also gone shooting growing up (trap,and turkey shoots etc),............ So I'm use to it all. All this to say I'm not over stating the volume of this gunshot. I didn't see any hunter in my woods...no orange...no truck parked on my road. It came from woods that there is no hunting allowed on either besides being to close to a residence. I don't like hunting but it's just my choice not to do it...I don't want to take the right to away from anyone else. But when someone is illegally hunting that close to my house...then I have a problem. It was loud enough to hurt my ears. There's always the novice to worry about. We have no police Dept of our own out here and by the time I call some one (state police or county forest ranger) and they get here I'm sure they would be gone. I've had hunters running behind my house in the woods chasing a deer that they didn't take down with the first try. I was yelling at them to get the hell off my land and that they're gonna kill someone. I have respect for the hunters who are doing it right....but not the dangerous dirty cheats. They're the ones that give proper hunters a bad rap.

troyboy troyboy
Dec '14

I saw that too, JR. And coming from the Pew Research Center (a pretty left leaning group) and reported on NPR (a left leaning government funded radio station) makes it all the more important.

If it was a NRA survey, reported on FOX News, all the liberal gun grabbers would be screaming how it means nothing because they wanted those numbers - but I notice the silence on this one.

I can't wait to see what "chart" or "survey" MrGoogle finds (probably some gunskillpeople.gov survey) to "prove" this was not done correctly or was skewed in some way.

Heidi Heidi
Dec '14

Heidi, it's like the mass media tried SO HARD for SO LONG to "convince" the American people of the need for more gun control, and re-doubled the efforts after the Sandy Hook shooting.... and it STILL didn't work (except in a few places, like NY)....so, realizing they can't brainwash the people, and seeing which way the wind is blowing, and seeing their ratings tank lol, they finally succumbed to the will of the people on this issue. Because like you said- Pew Research Center, reported by NPR? The only way to get more left is to have a study conducted by the Bloomberg's organization and reported by MSNBC.

Dec '14

Oh, they have been doing it for years, I am sure it is fine. Immediately after the next mass school shooting, it will once again turn back the other way.

And it has nothing to do with the second amendment or hunting; it is all about feeling safer from crime, protecting themselves from crime. You know, the crime rate which is the lowest in years.

While Americans may say it's more important to protect the right to own guns than it's to control gun ownership, the same Americans still overwhelmingly favor gun controls including universal background checks.

Dec '14

If you're surprised that NPR would report on this, you don't pay much attention to NPR.

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

"I've had hunters running behind my house in the woods chasing a deer that they didn't take down with the first try. "

So you'd prefer that they shoot the deer and then just abandon it to die for no reason because it crossed a property line? It's one thing to "hunt" on private property without permission, but they have to make every effort to track and find the animals that can't read "no trespassing" signs.

As far as the loud gunshot, it must have been some weird echo. If it was close enough to hurt your ears, you would see the hunter. Certain rifles are extremely loud, but since NJ only allows shotguns they aren't too bad from a slight distance away.

It's also one more reason to contact your representatives and request the elimination of NFA (at least remove suppressors) and allow them to be used for hunting (and target shooting) like several other states. It protects the hunter's hearing and reduces the noise "pollution" for others. What's not to like?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '14

That was so curt as to be rude. It was not intentional. I apologize and will try again. How about this?

I listen to NPR quite frequently and am not in the least surprised that they would report on the Pew poll.

gadfly gadfly
Dec '14

heidi , spot on, good observation,

gadfly - NPR is a lefties haven. they promote their left leaning agenda points at every opportunity. it's only the left leaning listeners who don't agree with that. those on the other side of the aisle get hammered rudely and ceaselessly by the idealogical wonks at NPR.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

Nah, not really.

gadfly gadfly
Dec '14

maybe we should listen to a few random broadcasts together and then discuss them, i thinking we might have different takes on the same program material. you think ?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

gadfly thinking NPR is impartial is like me thinking Fox is impartial (I don't).

gadfly: blinders on

Dec '14

According to about 1,100 NJians, "People who watch MSNBC and CNN exclusively can answer more questions about domestic events than people who watch no news at all. People who only watch Fox did much worse. NPR listeners answered more questions correctly than people in any other category." http://www.poynter.org/news/mediawire/174826/survey-nprs-listeners-best-informed-fox-news-viewers-worst-informed/

NPR listeners have more education, make more money, have better health and financial practices than other media outlet listeners. No wonder it has a liberal bias :>) But of course, education and money aren't the most important things in life.

Now when it comes to accuracy, want to guess who comes up with the facts or falsehoods: NPR or FOX?

:

Dec '14

I would say half of the country gets their only news from the nightly news programs in my observations.It mainly covers local news and thats all they care about.

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '14

So now it's the liberals who listen to NPR who are rich? THEY are the 1% now?? That should be interesting.... Can't wait to hear all the rich liberals on NPR discuss how they feel about the next round of "99%-er" demonstrations....

Dec '14

I wouldn't call any media completely impartial, but I think NPR takes impartiality very seriously and they are one of the best in that respect. Comparing NPR to Fox on the matter of bias is just absurd.

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

uh-huh...absurd...right....

Dec '14

Clever, JR. I got one for you too!

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

Dec '14

JR, that meme would be a lot more funny (and accurate) if it were a conservative saying "No thanks. I already have a Bible; I don't need that."

ianimal ianimal
Dec '14

ia,

It was no surprise to me that the books you recommended in the book thread are known somewhat for their attacks on religion in general and Christianity in particular. SOS from you.

Dec '14

Ahh the old nothing can come from nothing argument. Then who created your creator?Didn't he come from nothing? Funny how the nothing from nothing rule applies to everything in the universe except the god you believe. Ridiculous circular logic.

john z john z
Dec '14

LOL. Thanks for proving my point, JR. Where did you hear that any of the books I recommended were an attack on Christianity? From some conservative website? I have news for you... the Fundies think Harry Potter is an attack on Christianity, too.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '14

for what it's worth, many people i know either sit on their brains, or have them handed to them at some point in their lives.

guess what? some are christian, some are atheists , some are so confused they actually have 'no opinion'

lack of brains cuts across all walks of life, (even engineers)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

Mass Media is a product to make money, not truth. From your Pew Company.NPR is subsidized.
We are Diogenes looking for an Honest man

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2013/03/18/pew-study-finds-msnbc-the-most-opinionated-cable-news-channel-by-far/

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '14

The level of NPR subsidies are minimal as a percentage of operating costs. Most of their funding comes from corporate and individual sponsors.

JR -- uh....more money neither means rich or 1%. If you had bothered to look, you would see the 1% is actually a varied bunch who may or may not listen to NPR: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/business/the-1-percent-paint-a-more-nuanced-portrait-of-the-rich.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

They might lean right, but they are not all right and they most certainly don't lean left.

Of course if you want to get more detailed: https://files.nyu.edu/bps261/public/numbers.html

Dec '14

"Ahh the old nothing can come from nothing argument. Then who created your creator?Didn't he come from nothing? Funny how the nothing from nothing rule applies to everything in the universe except the god you believe. Ridiculous circular logic."

Yes- that's my point. It's ALL circular logic. Religion as well as atheism. NONE can prove how anything became, in the beginning. So being an atheist is just as ridiculous as believing in a God.... it's a BELIEF SYSTEM, just like any religion is. It's "god" is a lack of knowing the answer, because it can never be known.

Dec '14

His Dark Materials: (wiki)

His Dark Materials is an epic trilogy of fantasy novels by Philip Pullman ...

The series has drawn criticism for its negative portrayal of Christianity and religion in general.

Dec '14

Oh, Pullman.... I thought you were talking about Heinlein, lol. Yeah, the Catholic church was up in arms about something, as I recall. Whatever... like I said, they aren't big Harry Potter fans either. It's still a great read. It's not like I recommended it BECAUSE it was controversial.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '14

I didn't think you recommended it because it was controversial; I figured you liked it because it was anti-religion.... as has been your stance, very loudly, around here lately. (and that's ok- we're all entitled to an opinion, as condescending as it may be)

Dec '14

First of all my post wasn't anti-religion; it was anti-conservative. And since you claim not to be a social conservative, I'm not sure why it apparently upset you. When social conservatives rebrand and repackage Creationism as "Intelligent Design" and attempt to get it into the schools as "science", then yeah, I have a problem with that. Religion belongs in churches, not science classrooms.

As far as the "His Dark Materials" trilogy goes, I didn't get the impression that it was anti-religion, but then again, I actually READ it myself and don't rely on the opinions of others to make that conclusion for me. You should try it sometime...

ianimal ianimal
Dec '14

hey man, YOU are the one who mentioned "the bible".... so are only conservatives religious now?

Dec '14

No... but they're the only ones who use religion as a replacement for logic and reason; hence my comment about them not needing a brain, which apparently went right over your head.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '14

Heard 5 shotgun blasts last night,after 7 pm.Seems they were coming from Rock Port area ! I live on grand ave., they sounded very close.I guess some of these hunters need practice,5 shots to drop a deer? Maybe they had some Redman in there eye,that can burn! Also could be the hand warmers stuck to there gloves?I believe if your not eating what you kill, then bring the meat to the hungry,anyone feel the same way?

May have been a deer drive Lobo. Multiple hunters, multiple deer...

Not sure what the regs are for distributing wild game, but no reason hunters can't invite people over for a nice meal.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '14

ia-

hey, any chance to attack religion, right? Good on ya!

Dec '14

Any chance to turn everything into an attack on religion, eh, Jeff? It's probably part of that War on Christmas that you're always whining about, LOL.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '14

JeffersonRepub We are used to it. Satan has been around for thousands of years.

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '14

Wow, so now Ianimal is Satan or perhaps in league with Satan? I thnk you may have just proved his statement that certain conservatives use religion as a replacement for logic and reason.

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

Lobo, many hunters do not go out alone, there was probably multiple deer and multiple hunters.

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

Another win for the good guys, and another demonstration of how very very dangerous our law enforcement is becoming (but "nah- you're jumping to conclusions, this kind of stuff would NEVER happen, more gun control is for everyone's safety, it would NEVER be abused)

A Long Island mother of three arrested for taking pictures of an Air National Guard base in the Hamptons ​– ​while ​armed to the teeth with a licensed assault rifle in her car — has been awarded ​$1.12 million​ by a federal jury over her false prosecution by Suffolk County authorities.

​The Central Islip ​jury ​on Thursday sided with Nancy Genovese, 58, in a 2010 lawsuit she filed against Suffolk County​, its​ Sheriff’s Office and other parties, ​claiming she was ​only ​arrested during the July 2009 incident because she belonged to the Tea Party.

Genovese was arrested while taking pictures of a decorative helicopter in front of the Gabreski Airport Air National Guard base in Westhampton Beach for a “Support Our Troops” website. She was charged with criminal trespass and spent four days in jail before the charges were dropped.

Southhampton cops searched her and found a legally owned rifle that she was transporting from a nearby rifle range. She contends a deputy sheriff arrived on the scene later and said to her, “I bet you are one of those Tea Party people.” When Genovese said she’s gone to Tea Party rallies, he allegedly said, “You’re a real right-winger, aren’t you?” and “You are a ‘Teabagger’” and then added that she’d be arrested for terrorism to make an example of other “right wingers.”

“Ms. Genovese was subjected to a level of abuse because [authorities] did not share the same political views as she did and saw this as an excuse to deny her even the most basic civil rights,” her lawyer Frederick Brewington said.​​

Genovese said in a statement said she was “relieved” by the jury’s verdict. She added, “if this can happen to me, and officers can abuse their power like this, I can only imagine how other people who are not as fortunate as me have been treated.”

Messages left with Suffolk County ​and the ​Sheriff’s Office were not immediately returned.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/12/tea-party-mom-wins-1-12m-for-false-prosecution/

Dec '14

Yupper, the jury said she was abused and it looks like on a local, state, and Federal level. But being called a teabagger in 2009; that policeman was very hip to use that lingo in 2009. And the $1M was compensatory, punitive awards are still coming.

But before you rally to the cause, here's her 2009 MySpace page. Note zero Tea Party entries except for a last second Subscription adder, probably after the fact. Personally, I think the word extremist fits although false prosecution is still not called for: http://www.webcitation.org/mainframe.php

Snopes version: http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/genovese.asp

Dec '14

Gadfly, No Satan is trying to influence all of mankind. You make your choices.

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '14

"I know from personal experience at National Public Radio that white liberals can be very intolerant if they suspect they are dealing with a black person who is not afraid from depart from liberal orthodoxy. In my case I was fired and afterwards described as a bigot in need of a psychiatric care."

Juan Williams

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/12/13/sony-execs-obama-emails-white-liberal-hypocrisy-revealed-in-all-its-glory/

reason and logic just officially left the room.

john z john z
Dec '14

"Personally, I think the word extremist fits"

Total opinion. For example, in MY opinion, you could be an extremist. And anyone who believes in govt taking care of us cradle to grave and spending our great grandchildren into a lifetime of debt is an extremist. And anyone who believes the constitution "shouldn't matter anymore" because it was written by a "bunch of old guys" is an extremist. And anyone wanting to give millions of illegal aliens amnesty is an extremist.

We could go back & forth on this one all day. Unless you are planning to kill people, whether thru firearms or bombs or beheadings or whatever, the label "extremist" needs to be very VERY carefully applied.

Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.