Does anyone have a direct vent instant boiler

I am looking to install a Direct vent wall hung boiler that does both my hot water baseboards and my domestic hot water. I know this is a newer design of units, but I was wondering if anyone has one, how they like it, and what maintenance is involved?

All pros/cons are welcome

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

No, but I do direct vent my heat.

Issues have been vent height (too low, too much snow), pipe length (long vent needs bigger pipe), and condensation (if you insulate the intake pipe (since it get berry berry cold), the resulting condensation can ice up the outside of the pipe). The last one only happened in the below ten's last year and I mitigated it by removing the insulation for the last foot or so.

The effect has been great though; much warmer and less drafts during burn.

So my maintenance on the vent includes making sure it's clear and inspection on single-digit days.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Nov '14

I am guessing you have hot air mg?

I am looking at hot water, so the boiler is much like a on demand HW heater. You have to clean the tubes yearly from what I understand

I talked with TGM services yesterday, once I can setup a day for a quote and they are going to quote me for 1 unit that does both HW and heat, a quote for two units, one for heat and one for HW, and a quote to replace what I currently have. They didn't have anything bad to say about them, but they did say they are new technology.

When I talked with All Tech, they strictly did not recommend the instant heaters, but upon talking to them they just seemed untrusting since it was new technology. They said after 3-5 years they get buggy and after 10 years they die, not sure if this is true or not

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.