How about a nice hot bowl of soup?

How about a nice hot bowl  of soup?

Today is so damp and cold that yummy homemade soup comes to mind. This soup recipe is perfect! It freezes well and can be made in a jiffy! Please post your favorite recipe. I'm always looking for something new!

Creamy Chicken Soup

•FOR THE ROUX (to thicken soup...this is made first):
•4 T flour
•2 T olive oil
•2 T butter - unsalted
•2 T butter - unsalted
•2 T olive oil
•4 stalks carrots, peeled and chopped
•2 stalks celery, chopped (opt)
•1 sweet yellow onion - diced
•4 cups chicken stock or broth (or a combo) - low salt or unsalted
•3 1/2 cups milk or cream or half & half
•2 T chicken base granules
•1 t fresh cracked pepper
•1 T dried parsley or 2 T fresh parsley
•3 bay leaves
•1 1/2 t Herbs of Provence
•1/4 t garlic powder or 1 t. chopped garlic
•3 cups rotisserie chicken - cubed or shredded and cooked
•1/4 cup white wine (your favorite)
•shredded gruyere cheese to sprinkle on top after spooning soup into bowls
directions
1.Make the roux by heating the oil and butter in pot then sprinkling the flour on top. whisk together until fully absorbed and turns almost golden. take off the heat and set aside while combining other ingredients****
2.chop the vegetables and set aside until ready to saute.
3.In a Dutch oven, saute the vegetables in 2 T olive oil and 2 T butter until softened. i cook the carrots and celery first, then add the onions since they don’t take as long to cook.
4.Add all other ingredients including the roux, stir well.
5.bring to a boil then turn down the heat to low and let simmer 20-30 minutes until the soup thickens to the desired consistency.
6.Stir every 3-4 minutes. Do not leave the soup unattended - it can burn quickly.
7.if you need to thicken the soup a little, mix together some cornstarch with milk or water (per box instructions) then stir into the soup.
8.stir frequently - the soup is milk-based and can burn easily.
9.before ready to serve, take out the bay leaves
10.pour into bowls and sprinkle with shredded gruyere cheese
NOTES:
You can make this soup ahead of time, then transfer to a crock pot to keep warm until time to serve. Do not put the lid on the crock pot.
This soup freezes VERY well
Serve with french baguette or other crusty bread
Enjoy!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Nov '14

Re: How about a nice hot bowl  of soup?

That sounds like a lot of work...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

that sounds good.some crackers a nice grilled cheese sandwich to go with it also.

tunnel rat tunnel rat
Nov '14

CHICKEN/VEGETABLE SOUP....Eazzzy..Peazzy!!

2 large cans of chicken broth
1 package onion soup mix
tbsp. minced garlic
3 chicken boullion cubes
2 small packages frozen peas and carrots
1 can of diced tomatoes
Diced.. pre-cooked chicken breasts (can buy precooked chicken in grocery store)
Add all of the above ingredients in pot on high heat...cover
Bring mixture to boil in pot and then add 1/2 or so cup of rice.....
Salt and pepper to taste

joyful joyful
Nov '14

Old Fashioned Navy Bean Soup

Ingredients
1 pound dried navy beans, picked over and soaked in water overnight
1 ham bone, trimmed of surface fat or GOYA ham flavoring
12 cups water
2 bay leaves
2 medium celery stalks
3 medium carrots
1 medium onion
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions
Combine soaked and drained beans, ham bone, water, and bay leaves in a large pot or Dutch oven. Heat to boil, skimming foam from surface several times. Reduce heat and simmer very gently until beans are mushy, about 1 1/2 hours.

Cut celery, carrots, and onions into small dice. Remove ham bone from soup and cut off any meat. Using the back of a wooden spoon, smash some of the beans to thicken the broth, leaving some of them whole. The broth can also be pureed if you prefer.

Add any meat from the bone to the soup along with the vegetables and salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking until vegetables are tender, 20 to 30 minutes longer.

If the soup is too thick, thin it with additional water or milk if you prefer. Serve hot, with crackers, etc.

AGNES AGNES
Nov '14

Agnes that sounds yummy, saving this recipe for the weekend

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Nov '14

Agnes: Would that be about the same recipe if you were making pea soup? My husband loves good pea soup and I have never made it...

joyful joyful
Nov '14

They all sound wonderful...it's just that kind of day ! Im gonna try these this winter for sure !

bowie bowie
Nov '14

Homemade ITALIAN chicken soup

1 small whole chicken (usually called a soup chicken)
4 carrots
3 stalks celery
1 sweet yellow onion
1 large tomato
1 small can tomato sauce (mostly for color - a little for taste)
salt & pepper to taste
4 bouillon cubes

Cut up all the veggies and put them in a big pot filled half-way with water.
Clean chicken thoroughly then add to pot
pour in tomato sauce
drop in bouillon cubes
Cut the tomato in quarters and drop in also
You can also add some chicken broth
Fill pot with more water until almost an inch from top
Simmer on stove top for approx. 3 hours (stir occasionally)
Remove from stovetop and CAREFULLY take whole chicken out
(this can be tricky but use 2 utensils if needed as chicken will want to break apart)
Set chicken aside and cover with foil.
Boil up some noodles (I like small egg bowties, or orzo)
I put some noodle and soup in bowl and then break apart whole chicken and add chicken to bowls.

jamie jamie
Nov '14

Poor Man's Potato Soup (it's vegetarian too)

Ingredients
¼ cup oil or more, your choice; I use half cup. Your choice of oil type.

Chopped/Diced (smaller cooks faster, I keep things bigger, so they don't boil away)
2 cups onions
1 cup carrots
1 cup celery
6 medium potatoes

2 tsp salt
1 tbsp. marjoram
1 tsp.  dill seed
1 tsp. caraway seed
1/2 tsp. paprika (I leave this out, turns soup darker)
Some milk

Cook
Wash/dirty-peel and cube potatoes (dirty peel means leave a lot a skin on)

Sauté onion, carrots, celery in oil in soup pan to the point of being less crisp, not browned.  I added the potatoes at the end of the sauté, cook for a minute or two to speed up boiling time.

Add water to cover and spices (sure, you can use vege or chicken broth)

Cook for at least 20 minutes at a good boiling clip.  You can test mash some potatoes to see how soft, don’t mash to much, just cook more if not soft enough. If you spoon test the potato's, be prepared, sometimes like swallowing hot coal. You can "flash boil" and eat or you can boil and simmer, your call.

Add milk to color until looks like potato soup just before serving.  Not that much really. I add at the very end since I just don't like to boil milk too long.

If you use too much oil, you will see it, just turn off, let it cool a bit, skim the extra oil off the top and returning to boiling.

And you can play with the spices.  Some avoid the caraway, fear of seeds. I use more dill. It's the dill that makes it distinct, you'll love the smell. The oil makes it really warm, guaranteed to cure any chills.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Nov '14

If I'm going to make chicken soup, it's going to be chicken and dumplings:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chicken-and-dumplings-recipe2.html

Buttermilk chive dumplings are awesome.

I also love creamy mushroom soup. Substitute some Greek yogurt for most of the cream and it's not all that bad for you.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '14

The BEST soup I have ever made and it cooks while you are at work (crock pot recipe). Sooooo easy. Enjoy!!!!!

Barley and Lentil Soup w/ Sausage

2 boxes (32 oz. each) beef broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t oregano
4 large carrots, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
4 – 5 stalks of celery, sliced
½ C dried lentils
½ C uncooked barley
Sweet sausage

Saute the celery, carrots and onions in olive oil. Remove from pan. Brown the sausage and cut into bite size pieces.
Mix broth, garlic, oregano, veggies, sausage, lentils and barley in crock pot.
Cover and cook on Low for 10 hours.
Enjoy!

lsricc lsricc
Nov '14

I am looking for an authentic Italian recipe for Pasta Fagioli. Does anyone have one?

HM102 HM102
Nov '14

This is Rao's restaurant's recipe.It's as authentic as it gets!
INGREDIENTS
½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup diced onion
1/3 cup diced prosciutto or pancetta
2 cloves garlic, peeled
4 cups cooked beans with 1 cup of their cooking liquid or 2-15oz cans Great Northern or Cannellini beans with their liquid
4 cups Chicken Broth
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups San Marzano Italian plum tomatoes, well drained and chopped
1 pound Ditali pasta cooked
1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese, optional

Directions:

1.Combine oil, onion, prosciutto, and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and begin to turn golden. Do not burn garlic.

2.Stir in beans and their liquid. Add broth and salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Add tomatoes and return to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

3.Stir in pasta and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Serve hot, sprinkled with Pecorino Romano cheese, if desired.

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Nov '14

Just a friendly suggestion... if you aren't going to eat all of the soup at once, don't add all the pasta. Put a serving of pasta in each bowl and pour the soup over it. Store the leftover pasta separately from the leftover soup. Otherwise, in my experience, it just keeps soaking up liquid as it sits in the fridge and the quality of the soup diminishes.

I'm not sure how commercial soup companies get around this (unless their pasta is completely saturated when they can it... I guess that would work) but I haven't figured out how to do it. Has anyone else solved the mystery?

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

Thanks, Lady Jayne, I lost my recipe for Pasta Fagioli and will definitely try this one...

joyful joyful
Nov '14

Thank you, Lady Jayne!

Ianimal, I keep the pasta separate when I am make chicken soup for that same reason!

HM102 HM102
Nov '14

Re: How about a nice hot bowl  of soup?

Fishbone soup, with a very rich broth. Terrific.

from
Nov '14

Thanks Lady Jayne! Sounds like a good one!

Peggy C Peggy C
Nov '14

Hot and sour soup from Bamboo Kitchen - will warm you right up --

5catmom 5catmom
Nov '14

I'm going to make some butternut squash soup tonight. Roast the squash. Saute some onions carrots and garlic in oil, add some minced jalapeno, then the squash and some spices. Immersion blende. Add cream. Done.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '14

Think I'll try Mr. G's poor mans tater soup next.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '14

Is there such a thing as a rich man's potato soup? The only thing cheaper than potato soup would probably be cabbage soup, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

Emeril's butternut squash soup is fantastic:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/butternut-squash-soup-recipe.html

The jalapeno and cumin add great flavor. I roasted the cubed squash for 20 min at 325F first. I will definitely be making this again.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '14

It's that time of year again! I've been making homemade chicken soup, using this "recipe" (more of a method, really) for the bone broth base, and WOW it takes the soup to a whole new level. http://nourishedkitchen.com/perpetual-soup-the-easiest-bone-broth-youll-make/
Not only delicious but so good for you!

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '15

There's nothing like a good vegetable soup with lots of cabbage, tomatoes, onions, garlic and your favorite vegetables and beans.

happiest girl
Nov '15

Taco Soup (I make the ground turkey version)

2 lbs ground beef or ground turkey

1 large onion, chopped

1 can pinto beans

1 can whole kernel corn, drained

1 can stewed tomatoes, Mexican-style

1 can Rotel tomatoes

1 package taco seasoning mix

1 package Original Hidden Valley Ranch dressing (dry)

2 1/2 cups water or more, to make soup broth

Brown ground beef and onions in a large pan, and drain off fat. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an hour or so. When ready, serve in big soup bowls, and have a skillet of hot cornbread to eat, too.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '15

Oooh, that sounds good, Calico! Turkey version in my near future...

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.