PSA: Deer Rut Has Begun; Be Extra Cautious Behind the Wheel

Several hunting friends have told me that the deer rut has just begun in our area. For drivers, this means more dangerous roads. Deer are on the move any time of day, and will run erratically, including right in front of cars. For the next couple weeks, please be extra cautious and on the lookout for our antlered friends while driving.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '14

lots of car vs. deer on the responder page - as well as 2 car vs bear recently - do be careful out there

5catmom 5catmom
Nov '14

I have been seeing many very young deer in my yard --- has mating started earlier than usual this year?

hapiest girl
Nov '14

I almost made the first responder page around 6:30 PM last night. Was on Route 517 NB in Allamuchy a few hundred feet before the Shell station that is closed for construction. Deer was casually walking out into the roadway and it's so dark in that spot I didn't see it until it almost crossed the center yellow line. I was able to swerve to my right and avoid it. Had it been running out into the roadway it wouldn't have been good....for both of us.

IDK if it's earlier this year, but according to out dog, who seems to pace the floor at night, sniffing, during the rut every fall, it's been going on for a couple of weeks already- at least.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Nov '14

Thanks for the heads-up Rebecka. It's been crazy for a few weeks already.

christy christy
Nov '14

The next two weeks will be the craziest of all. The rut has actually begun and they all have 'Amour' on their minds.

I just learned that this is the hunters' favorite time to go out, because the deer are practically oblivious to humans in the woods. They are so focused on mating, they let their guard down.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '14

Had one run out in front of car yesterday. Had to swerve into shoulder. Scarey! Be careful!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Nov '14

I also had a Very Close call this week on Ridge Rd. It was dark (those of you who know Ridge know it has no street lights.) The Deer appeared out of "nowhere" and stood right in the middle of the road without moving at all. I came so close we were looking at each other! Stuff in my vehicle's front and rear seats fell onto the floor, and some stuff in the trunk area fell too! I was so happy not to collide with the Deer for Myself and the Deer. It would not have been pretty for either of us. So, everyone, be X-tra careful on the roads especially now.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Nov '14

I drive to Newton five nights a week for my overnight shift. I am always amazed at how many deer are out there. I drive like an ole granny most of the way. I watched a documentary on deer recently on Netflix. It's called The Private Life of Deer. Very informative and helps me to understand them a bit better.

Kit Kat Kit Kat
Nov '14

Kit Kat, Documentary sounds very interesting and information. Thanks for mentioning.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Nov '14

Strange I log 5-6 hours a day in a tree stand everyday in Mansfield on one of the best farms in the area and don't see a deer hardly using every trick in the book, scent free clothing and shower with scent free stuff daily, doe in heat candles, grunt calls , doe bleat calls rattling horns and then I drive home to Independence and see plenty of deer crossing in front of me and there are always a few walking in my driveway. Halloween is always the kickoff to what we call the pre rut or searching phase when all bucks are running around looking for that first doe to come in heat. This is followed next week by what we call the lockdown phase when bucks sense a doe is close and will not leave her side until she is bred. Can be a tough time to hunt because bucks will not move until she is ready. Of course as soon as he is finished the chase is on again. A good percentage of does will be bred this first time but there are second and third ruts in a month from now when many of the younger does will be bred. The cold days keep the deer moving all day especially when the moon first rises that is a time for heavy movement. Be careful out there!

fishmaker1 fishmaker1
Nov '14

Thanks for the info - I do a lot of driving now and I haven't seen any in ages - I would have been totally unprepared - now I'll be on the lookout!

trekster3- trekster3-
Nov '14

Fishmaker - did you set up a bait pile/corn feeder, or are there natural, attractive things to eat for the deer to eat where you hunt? Hunters I know who hunt Mansfield have all gotten deer already.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '14

This explains the lunacy going on in our yard lately.

ladeevee ladeevee
Nov '14

That's hunting? Setting up "bait" to lure the animal to YOU so you can get a good shot.?
Pretty pathetic.

hapiest girl
Nov '14

Re: PSA: Deer Rut Has Begun; Be Extra Cautious Behind the Wheel

PSA #2.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '14

About as pathetic as someone who is the "hapiest" setting bait to try and lure flames.

btownguy btownguy
Nov '14

LOL Rebecka

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Nov '14

I have definitely noticed an increase in deer. The odd thing is this year has been a little different in my yard. Typically every year is the same. I will have anywhere from a few deer to a whole herd that visit daily and then camp out for the night. That lasts until we have a blanket of snow on the ground. This year I have only had a few that come on occasion. I'm not complaining, but it just seems weird since the pattern had been the same for the past 13 yrs.

Predators you may not see might have moved in and established themselves near you, JRT. I'm thinking coyote. Any evidence of them?

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '14

Fishmaker-you must be retired or just have a lot of time on your hands. Im sorry, but I dont agree with what you do. But thats JMO!

Nov '14

Lots of sportsmen take days off this time of year, bbu.

Let's leave the judgement and criticism of hunters and the practice of hunting out of this thread. It's been debated ad nauseam on other threads already.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '14

Rebecka,
Now that makes sense. Another poster has spotted a coyote in Brook Hollow recently, which is in close proximity to me. Maybe we have a lot more around than we realize.

Normally, I get off of I-78 at Bloomsbury and take the rural County roads home, but this time of year I stick to the main roads and take the long way home. The extra I spend on gas is insurance against my collision deductible and the inconvenience of having my car at the body shop.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

Rebecka-you are the posting police now? Dont tell me what to post. Really! I made a comment just like everyone else does, including yourself. AND if you read fishmakers post he stated he spends 5-6 hours A DAY, EVERYDAY in a tree stand. That's NOT taking a day off to go hunting.

Nov '14

JRT - yes, often there can be coyote all around and you hardly know they are there. I mostly know they are around because of our trail cams, and also when I hike in the woods in the winter and see their tracks. Otherwise - they are very stealthy and stay out of sight.

ianimal - we're doing the exact same thing for the next couple of weeks. And when I'm close to home on the really back roads, I drive like an ole granny, too, just like Kit Kat! Not worth it to ruin a car just to get home 30 seconds faster.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '14

Totally nailed a deer on the way home tonight on Fairmount. Stupid deer jumped out of the woods on my passenger side didn't even give me a chance to avoid it. Fun way to end a crappy work week

Darwin Darwin
Nov '14

I counted 8 dead deer on side of the road between Target in Hackettstown and Morris Plains train station (driving on Route 46, 10 and 53) on Wednesday.

Lena,
Unfortunately it is to be expected during hunting season.
On a positive note, I still have many deer feeding and finding refuge on my property. Tonight for the first time this season I saw a buck as well.

hapiest girl
Nov '14

Darwin - sorry to hear about your accident . I had 5 separate instances of deer jumping out in front of my car last night travelling on 523/517 - seems much worse this year.

Hope everyone stays safe.

I'm so cautious about deer I actually hallucinated that there was one in the middle of the road. My son was driving me and he hit the brakes. No deer in sight he got mad at me. I was trying not to laugh the rest of the way. I wish I had some Xanax. LOL

Kit Kat Kit Kat
Nov '14

Thank Bonv.

Darwin Darwin
Nov '14

Hapiest girl - they were not a result of hunting, they all were hit by cars. And Route 46, 10 or 53 are not rural roads.

Lena,
My point was that during hunting season when chased after and shot at ..... the deer get frightened and run amuck, anywhere to escape, which unfortunately includes the roads.

hapiest girl
Nov '14

And what about the dead deer on the side of the road during non-hunting season? What are they afraid of? That the creepy vegans are going to eat all their food?

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

The increased deer movement and resulting collisions is the result of he rut. Not hunting season.

Gadfly Gadfly
Nov '14

Hapiest girl, I travel 517 south over Schooley's Mountain down to 78 5 nights a week. No hunters are out on my night shift journey to work and rarely on my 5am trip home. There are deer running across the road every night with no one chasing them. Sometimes they are on the sides of the road and seem to take off across the road for little or no reason, one car will pass them and nothing then another and they run. I understand your distaste of hunting and love all living things but you can't blame the cars hitting deer at all hours of the day on hunters alone.

Darwin - Sorry to hear about your accident. Thankfully, you are ok. This is due to the rut, not hunting.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

If someone is shooting at an animal it will bolt out of fear.
It is also a fact that the rut and hunting season happen simultaneoulsy.
So solely using the rut as the reason for more accidents is incorrect.
The deer's habitat is in wooded areas, so it is more likely that bolting into the roads is a result of being assaulted. An animal will obviously run mindlessly and anywhere to escape being attacked.

hapiest girl
Nov '14

Hapiest girl please tell me why the statistics for deer/car accidents show 10 times more happen after dark when no one is hunting them. I did not say that hunters don't cause some deer to run into a road but a buck chasing a doe causes the same flight response you claim for hunters.

It 3 in the morning....everybody go to bed!!

Rip Van Winkle
Nov '14

517 - a real danger zone for deer presence - deer came out in front of me twice in the past week as I was driving at night.. seems to be a very active spot - keep your eyes open!!

pmnsk pmnsk
Nov '14

Deer move for various reasons, several of which are covered already.

They move in groups, small and large, and when I see several going across the road I stop and wait (with flashers on) for a possible one more lagging behind trying to catch up, who isn't watching the road in its effort to not get separated.

Then there is the moving to the pond/lake/stream/river before they bed down for the night.

And then the moving to the bed-down area.

Deer are busy.

redmink1 redmink1
Nov '14

Thanks Calico. Considering this deer jumped out between 2 homes on Fairmount at 5pm I doubt a hunter was nearby. At least my deductible is only $500 I had been thinking of bumping it up to $1000. Glad I didnt.

Darwin Darwin
Nov '14

Ouch, Darwin. Looks exactly like my previous MV vs Deer result only on the opposite side. Glad your out of pocket isn't as bad as it could be.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Nov '14

The worst road is a Reservoir Road off Route 46 East. There are always deer, especially near church and "pine tree" area, any time during the year, any time during the day. I also see them in packs on back roads near Ledgewood/Roxbury mall practically every day now.

Had two doe come racing through my yard.....................followed by a buck.

Such desperation in his eyes. ;)

Never saw that before.....

littlelu littlelu
Nov '14

I've limited my input on HL because I've been accused of trolling, but this is important.

A friend lost her life this June, because a deer jumped in front of her car and she tried to avoid it and lost control of the car and hit a telephone pole... I have no way of knowing if she was driving fast or was distracted. The sad fact is, she is gone.

Everyone please drive with extra care.

If you google Nicole Ryan Geis, this post will hit home.

OK, I've gone back into my cave now.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '14

@Andy - I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

You should ignore the trolling comments - people tend to get "pissy" on HL. Many people appreciated your posts.

Andy,

Sorry about your friend.

Post, or don't post, as you feel comfortable
However, many,many people who shout "troll" are exactly that, and the worst offenders.

hapiest girl
Nov '14

Thanks for the kind words.

I wonder what John Milton would think of HL. He's the guy who wrote back in 1644 (way before social media was conceived) ..."Let truth and falsehood grapple: whoever knew truth put to the worse in a free and open encounter?"

Milton's idea was that we can use our powers of reasoning to come to know truth by exchanging ideas freely.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '14

Sorry about your friend, Andy.

There was a story about this on the news tonight. It's almost always going to be worse on you and the car (and potentially other motorists) if you swerve to miss a deer instead of just hitting it. I know it sucks to kill or injure an animal, and instinctively you'll want to avoid it, but it's you or them.

Tracy Tracy
Nov '14

Tracy !!!!

So if tomorrow if a deer is in the road, you will just crash into it because the "news" told you that's the right thing to do.??

The deer will be dead ---- your car will be totaled ----and you might be killed.

According to Tracy ... ..

"It's almost always going to bo worse on you and the car if you swerve to miss a deer instead of just hitting it.":

Just who believes that ??? Someone who DOES NOT CONSTANTLY keep their eyes on the road, .... and drives OVER The Speed Limit.

hapiest girl
Nov '14

John Milton's also the one who wrote good old "Paradise Lost", one of the fun things on my agenda back in Senior year AP English. I'm more a fan of John Stuart Mill, but Milton's OK.

Sorry for the loss of your friend Andy. I remember a couple of years ago there was a minivan accident that I believe killed a mother and several children in somewhat the same situation.

Deer are responsible for more human deaths than sharks, poisonous snakes and a good number of other things, so be careful out there everyone!

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

ugh happiless girl

Tracy's points was not about if you see a deer just standing in the road to just aim for it.. it's about if a deer darts out right in front of you. Yes it can be worse to swerve into the other lane or the side of the road trying to avoid the deer. Obviously if you can brake and stay in your lane to avoid the deer that is ideal but not always realistic.

and trust me it's not about not paying attention to the raod or driving over the speed limit, as i can assure you as someone that just hit a deer, i was not speeding and my eyes were on the road. And everyone behind me that was nice enough to stop and check on me were all as shocked as i was that the deer came out of no where

darwin darwin
Nov '14

Thanks for the clarification, Darwin. I should have known that cretain people would not interpret the obvious.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Nov '14

How many points do you get for running down a deer these days anyway?

Relax! I'm joking.

Tracy - I understood what you meant in your post and you are correct. The bad thing is, instinct sometimes makes you to swerve.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/29195956/state-police-trooper-killed-in-on-duty-car-crash-with-deer

UPDATE - http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2015/05/authorities_id_state_trooper_killed_in_crash_with.html#incart_river

Deer can be so dangerous. Anyone that has hit one, knows what a scary thing it is.
This Trooper was so young. So sad. RIP.

May '15

Just refreshing this for 2015. Here's an article from 101.5 on the rut. Be careful everybody.

http://nj1015.com/a-dangerous-time-for-deer-drivers-in-nj/

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '15

coming up 206 south of Chester there was a deer that was flailing around to get up but couldn't, obviously just hit. what are you supposed to do in those situations? The poor thing was still alive, but I'm not about to approach a scared and hurt deer with antlers. Do you call the police? Would they come and put it out of it's misery?

brown bear2 brown bear2
Oct '15

We now have NO FEAR DEER.
They will stand in the middle of our rural road and not move when a car is approaching.
They wear a WTF expression, as if WE are annoying them!
I yelled at one once during rutting season , and the bizarre noise he made was disconcerting. He also pawed the ground and lowered his head, like a bull.

Funny lady Funny lady
Oct '15

"Be careful everybody." Thanks, Calico...but too late... :(

Thankfully, we were okay.

I know in LV the cops have come and put a deer down.

Blackcat Blackcat
Oct '15

MANY years ago, a friend of mine was coming home around 2AM and came upon a recenty hit deer in Long Valley. The animal was still alive, but was obviously suffering. A police officer was on the scene, but had never shot anything or anyone and was having a difficult time shooting the animal. My friend, an avid hunter, stopped and offered to do the deed. The officer thanked him and handed him his gun. The animal was put out of his misery. Could you imagine anything like that happening today??

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Oct '15

Does anyone know how to try to reduce the risk of hitting a deer? Now I toot the horn(late at night), every few minutes or so. I heard playing the car stereo loud helps, but haven't tried it as I wouldn't be able to hear emergency vehicles that could be coming from another direction. Any tricks up you're guys and gals sleeves you would care to share?

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Oct '15

The only way to reduce the risk of hitting a deer is to not drive. They're unpredictable, it happens.

That said, the best thing to do is reduce the risk hitting a deer will cause serious damage is to slow, slow, slow DOWN. There is no substitute for that.

Cover your car in cat piss. Deer won't come near it.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '15

I agree with GC. No way to reduce risk. Going slow is good advice, but when the speed limit is 45-50, like on RT 57 and a deer runs out, nothing you can do. Had it happen.
Going slow on RT 57 is not an option.

Oct '15

Yes, slow down and keep this in mind. If you see a deer cross up ahead of you and make it to the other side, do not assume that it's alone and you are good to go. Slow down anyway, there might be several more coming across after it.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '15

"Going slow on RT 57 is not an option."

Of course it is. Just because there is a speed limit doesn't mean you have to go over it. Let them all pile up behind you. Let them honk. You have to make a decision of what is or isn't worth it. My friend Bubba D. sometimes does 35mph in areas of 57 when deer are suspected. He may be a redneck, but he aint stoopid. ;-)

Driving the rental car ( due to DH getting rear ended by an 18 wheeler- See venting thread 2 weeks ago), a doe ran out in front of me in the middle of the day Monday on Drakestown.
I hope that was my "near miss" for the season.

Blackcat Blackcat
Oct '15

If only everyone had your common sense, GC!

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '15

Does anyone know if those deer repeller things you put on the grill of your car work? I have them, but the only way to know if they work is if they don't and you hit a deer. I was just wondering if anyone has any real knowledge about them.

Oct '15

Research has indicated they're fairly useless...

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/how-effective-are-deer-whistles

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

Useless.

ianimal and GC, thank you for your responses. They were not what I was hoping for, although pretty much what I expected. But I do appreciate your replies.

Oct '15

byuu2.... I agree. I've tried the going slow route, also, but I always get a tailgater, especially on Anderson and Rte. 57. Then I have their lights shining in my rearview mirror. Now, I just pull over and let them pass. It helps to have a car in front of me, anyway. Easier and safer to follow than lead, especially at night and during deer season.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Oct '15

car hit deer on Route 46 west on the S curves just before Drakestown Road turn tonight about 7:45 pm. Deer was hurt bad, back legs didn't work anymore but alive. Please drive slowly. The people were all ok.

just coach just coach
Oct '15

This is deer season so slow down. I drive in the muc of it many years. Open window with loud music,If you have a tailgater he is riding on your as.... So you plow his way for running deer. That's what drivers do.Pull over and follow him. Carry collision on vehicle if you can. Don't worry about car in back of you when they follow you its for there protection not yours.Deer are basically blind but loud noises will startal them.Always keep your eyes on the road. There eyes will always look like lights,or reflectors in the the night. And pastures with grass and not many trees you will find them. This is from experience. Hope this helps and always remember if the guy in back is following to close pull over and follow him. You will see how slow he drives.

Sillygirl Sillygirl
Oct '15

GC - no one said go over the speed limit. I'm sure from other threads that you know I don't. But when traffic on RT 57 is moving right along at 50 MPH, you can't very well slow down to 35 MPH. Just not possible. Sense, yes I have a lot.

Oct '15

Sillygirl, deer actually have very good eye site.

Gadfly Gadfly
Oct '15

I just had to read Siilygirl's post 3 times to understand it all. Wowza!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '15

Sillygirl. Holy crap. Are you fluent in gibberish?

Oct '15

lMBO.

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '15

Thank you for Calico for refreshing this thread - because I re-read it I knew to be extra cautious while driving and driving a bit slower at this time

Thank you to the buck that jumped out of someones yard, into Rt 46 and then over into the Church parking lot - WITHOUT hitting my car or anyone else. While the whole incident took like 2 seconds, I realized that if I had been going a bit faster, the story could have had a much different ending.

In the quick time he was in front of my car I got to see how beautiful he was and count his 8 point rack - I hope he makes it thru the hunting season.

Wendy

Wbeleno Wbeleno
Nov '15

It's that time of year again. The deer are mad with passion and are paying no heed to traffic.

Per wcpublicsafety.com: FOUR deer vs. car incidents today already, and it's only 10:30am!

Please drive with EXTRA CAUTION everyone. The deer rut is peaking.

Be ready to avoid a randy deer at all times behind the wheel!

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '16

I came across a pair this morning, one standing smack in the middle of the road like a statue.

Everyone phones down, eyes on the road!

Tracy Tracy
Nov '16

Also, slow down on Rt 57. Just because the speed limit says 50, at times, doesn't mean you have to do this and more. Especially at dusk and nights, I am not wrecking my car because you are in a hurry. Leave extra time. Try to respect human as well as animal lives.

justwondering justwondering
Nov '16

2017 Crazy Deer Time has just begun in our area, according to my hunting friends. PLEASE slow down and drive safely everyone!

If I told you the cost of DH's car repair bill for maneuvering to avoid a deer in road a few weeks ago... we didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Not worth it not to slow down, for sure.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '17

Hope you’re courteous and move out of the way while puttering along, justwondering.

AtLeastITried AtLeastITried
Oct '17

Real stupid response on comment made about a year ago. And yes, I will putter if it means not hitting an animal. By the way, very few passing areas so you better hope you aren't behind me because you will slow down too IDIOT.

Oct '17

and name calling begins on a deer rut post.....this site has really gone downhill!

Darrin Darrin
Oct '17

No, I would drive around you regardless of being in a passing zone, justwondering, since you’d be a road hazard.

I’ll ignore the petty name calling and will let you go on thinking you’re so self-righteous.

AtLeastITried AtLeastITried
Oct '17

Just bought deer alerts for my car. Deer have been all over the roads.

Hopeful Hopeful
Oct '17

Karma is going to hurt.

Oct '17

Hope the cops read this, go ahead pass anyone not going the speed you determine we should be going. A speed limit of 50 does not mean you should go 50 and no less inspite of conditions, namely here a deer jumping out. Where am I so self-righteous? Because I try to drive safely, unlike you? Again, idiot.

Oct '17

It's that time of year again. Watch out for our antlered friends. 5 car vs deer accidents showing on the wcpublicsafety site... in the past 12 hours alone. Please use extra caution and stay safe. <3

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '18

My wife texted me earlier this morning to say that, as she was walking back home from the Sunrise convenience store, three deer walked up the street in front of her and then cut through our yard.

Monty Monty
Nov '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.