Rocket Launch Tonight 10/28 @ 6:22 PM

NASA will be launching a rocket tonight from Wallops Island at 6:22 PM.

Should be visible if you look due South.

http://www.nasa.gov/content/how-to-view-the-antares-launch-oct-28/

The last one was just an orange dot in the night sky. This one may have a nice plume through the sunset light.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

It was scheduled for last night at 6:45 p.m., but then there was a 10 minute delay due to a boat in the water. At the last moment, it was cancelled because of this boat! Too bad as it was a beautiful, clear night and we had unobstructed views.

Not sure about tonight, but NASA also gave the coordinates to see the space station last night, too.

Unfortunately, I may have to miss it tonight. :/ Plus it looks like the sky is clouding over.

honey badger honey badger
Oct '14

Wow wish I was down there on the beach in the park off of asateque island toms cove

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Oct '14

Thanks for sharing this. Will take the boys out and see if we can spot something.

ladeevee ladeevee
Oct '14

Definitely gonna have to watch this tonight. Find a field somewhere in town

townie1 townie1
Oct '14

Re: Rocket Launch Tonight 10/28 @ 6:22 PM

10 min till launch.

Jujata
Oct '14

it blew up

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Don't bother. It just exploded on launch.

I hope no one was injured in the launch area. It's a darn good decision yesterday to not launch with a boat that was too close.

I think the boat was 40 miles away... the rocket made it about 40 yards.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Live feed is saying it appears nobody was in the launch area. That it looks like only damage to the launch sight itself.

Grascal
Oct '14

NASA reports no injuries, all personnel accounted for.

Going through contingency plans to archive all the telemetry and they have already assigned a lead accident investigator.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Interesting that the FAA and NTSB may have primary responsibility for the investigation instead of NASA.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHMmMgdcOSU

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Good to hear no injuries

townie1 townie1
Oct '14

This is seriously a case of "Houston, we have a problem".

Best of luck to the people who may be financially or emotionally hurt by this.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Oct '14

I guess this isn't entirely unexpected, as the Antares rockets (for Orbital Science launches) use 40 year old Russian NK-33 engines with a habit of blowing up.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Spectator view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fPHkDc-CwoQ

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Hey, it is rocket science.

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '14

Sad to think 40 years ago we were walking on the moon, now were relying on old russian rockets to get us into space. That is before russia banned the sales. Nasa has been destroyed by successive administrations starting with Nixon's commitment to the space shuttle, and the shift from scientific undertakings to an emphasis on commercial and military use. The percent of budget allocated for Nasa has been steadily declining since 1969. You get what you pay for.

Denis Denis
Oct '14

I love space exploration as much as anybody, and probably more than most, but honestly- I cannot in good conscience see spending more money on space.... for what? To go to Mars? Why? We're never going to live there. Go back to the moon? Why?

While the space race gave us tons of scientific advancement, it has become military advancement that has done that in recent years. Scientific advancement has not, and will not, stop just because we aren't "going to the stars."

IDK, it just seems to me there's a whole lot of stuff down here on planet Earth the money could be better spent on, to try to make this rock a better place for everybody. Priorities.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Oct '14

Looked like a North Korean Rocket Launch.

reynolds
Oct '14

any one see the movie October skys now those kids could build a rocket

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Oct '14

Andy Griffith: anybody remember "Salvage-1"?

Now THAT'S how you do it! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHUWlEB6N1s

Oct '14

As someone that was born on July 20th 1969, I assumed we'd be much better at this stuff by now or further along with space exploration. Space travel is hard.

lollipopz
Oct '14

The rocket launch will be postponed until another rocket can be built. Sigh. And I said it once, and I will say it again; Space exploration is the genesis of most modern technology. Next time you use your cell phone, or if you are reading this on your cell phone, thank space exploration. Things on this rock have improved markedly thanks to technology that evolved from our push into space.

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

JeffersonRepub, I understand some people think it's a waste of money, or money better spent on other things. But everything you said totally contradicts your statement that you love space exploration. Your %100 right that it has become more about military advancement. That was my point, the emphasis has gone away from science and exploration, to military and commercial. Personally I think money spent on space exploration for the pure science, and discovery aspect is money well spent. The images and information we received from the 2 voyager spacecrafts launched in the 70' are incredible. The Mars rover has exceeded everyone expectations. The Hubble telescope has sent back remarkable image of the universe, we would never see from earth. Personally I find it sad that in my lifetime all the great scientific exploratory missions to come from Nasa are in the past, not the future.

Denis Denis
Oct '14

There's no contradiction. I love space exploration. But I think out limited financial resources could be spent on matters requiring more attention.

I love Pepsi. But I won't drink it if I'm trying to lose weight, due to the high sugar content. No contradiction there either.

As I said, priorities.

And I've never said to scrap the space program, I know hubble and the ISS is doing good work. But I see no reason to spend a midas fortune going back to the moon, or mars for that matter. How about we take care of our own yard FIRST?

Oct '14

The argument is that the money could be better spent here, has been around as long as NASA has, and will never go away. There is no magic date in the future when all the problems of the world won't require money. I don't necessarily agree, but I understand that point of view. As far as you loving space exploration more than most, I'm not buying it for a second.

Denis Denis
Oct '14

"But I see no reason to spend a midas fortune going back to the moon, or mars for that matter. How about we take care of our own yard FIRST?"

So then that brings up the question of what you think needs to be done before you could justify activities like going back to the moon, or off to mars even. What does "take care of our own yard FIRST" even mean? Is it possible to do?

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.