Cop parked w/lights off

I live in a local apartment complex and have noticed the same police vehicle parked behind the dumpster in a lot next to my building. The vehicle is left running but all lights are turned off. The officer is inside a tenants apartment each time.

When they have seen car lights or one of us leaving for work in the AM, a minute or two after, the office exits the tenants apartment.

It is between the hours of 4am and 6:30am - When getting ready or leaving for work (we have odd working hours).

Am I the only one that finds this suspicious? Why conceal the vehicle behind the dumpster w/it running, 3 nights in a row now? Is it likely the officer is on duty since he has the vehicle in his possession and not following protocol?
Is this something I can call the local PD to inquire about?

av111ks av111ks
Oct '14

Pardon me while I warm up my electric popcorn popper. I'll be right back...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

A cop car sitting with his lights off is about as common as a cop car in a donuts shop parking lot. I suggest putting on a ski mask and removing your pants. Then run around like your a crazy person. When the cop approaches, you can then inquire about his intentions.

sack
Oct '14

Maybe he's putting his gun in a different holster, if you know what I'm Saying.

Or maybe he's helping get someone awake?

btownguy btownguy
Oct '14

I was married to a copy many years ago and the same scenario - he was putting his gun in a different holster !

Golden Girl
Oct '14

Did you ever hear of a booty call ? Im sure they are reading this and working on damage control . You must have been the teachers pet .

jerseycash5
Oct '14

Maybe he is cheating on his wife with your neighbor!!! And I am paying for his misconduct!
Report his ass!!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Oct '14

Seems kinda obvious whats going on .....

Missrx Missrx
Oct '14

Use to happen over 15 yrs ago too. He's retired now. Lol. Not surprised its still going on.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '14

Get a life av111ks

Metsman Metsman
Oct '14

Sounds like a quick draw artist to me

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Oct '14

"Maybe he's putting his gun in a different holster, if you know what I'm Saying."

Hopefully, for his sake, he's shooting blanks.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Oct '14

He probably hides to avoid this topic of conversation.

Its certainly not the same officer from 15yrs ago that is referred to above...this officer is maybe in his 30's?

If it is what I've "assumed"...I really hope there are no emergencies or citizens in need while he is hiding his vehicle behind dumpsters and acting shady.

But...why exit the apartment each time you see a vehicle turn on? Why not just stay inside until the person drives off? I guess he doesn't care that he's on duty and cashing in,in more ways than one.

av111ks av111ks
Oct '14

Which agency are you referring to? Independence, Mansfield or Hackettstown???

If Hackettstown, your contact is below.

Contact Lieutenant Wheeler who is in charge of Internal Affairs and file a complaint.

Phone: (908) 852-3300 or (908) 852-3302

Chief James A. Macaulay: hpd29@hackettstownpd.net
Lieutenant Scott Wheeler: hpd27@hackettstownpd.net

Tom Rosetta
Oct '14

"Did you ever hear of a booty call ? Im sure they are reading this and working on damage control . You must have been the teachers pet ."

Pardon me for thinking its a bit unsettling, as well as out of the ordinary and for not acting as if this is a completely normal occurrence to see police officers hiding from the community behind dumpsters.

I said LOCAL, I did not refer to a specific township...in regards to " reading/working on damage control."

av111ks av111ks
Oct '14

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/17/nyregion/forbidden-zone-for-the-police-places-ready-made-for-a-nap.html

its called cooping prone

skippy skippy
Oct '14

Thank you Tom

av111ks av111ks
Oct '14

Av111ks-I said he's retired now!

Oct '14

But how thankful you will be if your spouse goes unconscious and he is right there....People please maybe he lives there and has tummy issues lol

Local Hackettstown Cops read this forum, so chances are , you won't see him anymore,

Margo Margo
Oct '14

To the op, what did want to accomplish by coming on here to report this? Sounds to me you like to cop bash. If you were truly interested in letting someone in authority know about this, all you would have to do is call the PD involved and speak to the Chief..Better yet, you could send a letter to the Chief, since they hold more weight as long as you include your name..Anonymous letters are useless.
I strongly support Police, I don't support anyone not doing the job they are paid for. If this Officer is doing something wrong, he should be held accountable in the proper forum..

boobalaa boobalaa
Oct '14

Include your name? Why, so you can be harassed?Yeah, ok.
Call and report it. No name needed.

Oct '14

av111ks....I hope the day you are going 1 mile over the speed limit you get a ticket. cops work 12 hour shifts!!! is it unreasonable to ask for a half hour break? maybe he just finished a call in that area and was doing paperwork.

Yes de, leave your name, any harassement would be quickly dealt with by calling the prosecutors office. No PD wants that kind of reputation or hassle..unless of course you have something else you are trying to hide and feel the need to anonymous...

boobalaa boobalaa
Oct '14

"unless of course you have something else you are trying to hide and feel the need to anonymous..."

Says the person posting from an anonymous user name...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Cops work 12 hours shifts???? To get 3 days off, who are u kidding?

Margo Margo
Oct '14

I "like to cop bash"... puhhhh-leaseee!
I'm new-ish to the area, found it a bit strange, and was curious if anyone else has had similar issues in their area.

As botheredbyuu2 mentioned...if I put in an official report would I then be harassed by the neighbor and/or officer. I was really looking for advice and Guage the responses on how to handle a situation like this.
I don't understand why there is such nasty responses aimed at me from my original post. Lets remember I have nothing to hide whatsoever, just waking up and go to work everyday. Just don't think it's right for an officer to be doing this on duty and not sure how to proceed. Obviously, asking for community feedback was the wrong idea.

Again, never said it was H'town...it's not.

av111ks av111ks
Oct '14

De- 12 hours on is *nothing*, my regular day is 16 hours plus a 90 minute commute each way. My personal best was 34 hours non-stop (plus the commute). If their job is to work a 12 hour shift, they ought to be able to do it without needing a nap.

Also, I somehow doubt that the officer was in an apartment doing paperwork 3 nights in a row at the same time.

The key here is engine running with lights off/discreet parking. They always leave the engine running (the radios/computers would kill the battery very quickly), but I've never seen a cop turn the lights off or park in a discreet manner, if anything they usually park cruisers in the most in-the-way spot possible, presumably in case they need to run out and respond to a higher priority call.

Personally, I could care less if the guy lived there and wanted to stop by home for breakfast or something, so long as it didn't impact his availability to take a call, and I don't think anybody could fault that. But trying to be discreet about it implies there is something untoward going on...

Brendan Brendan
Oct '14

Good luck reporting it. Look who hangs out with those in the higher ranks

Love4all
Oct '14

"I don't understand why there is such nasty responses aimed at me from my original post. "

Welcome to the forum, a lot of people on here have no respect for individual feelings and concerns, and have nothing better to do other then tell people how they should feel and what they should do, based completely on how they feel it should be done of course.

Take comments such as that like a grain of salt av, the forum is for any comments or concerns, nobody is the "boss"

Darrin Darrin
Oct '14

Emotions tend to run high with 'situations' like this. Av111ks, personally I think asking a question on a local forum is an understandable way to try to gauge the situation and get some potential feed back. I don't think anyone should jump the gun before knowing the facts. That's when careers and marriages get ruined. This COULD be inappropriate behavior by someone breaking rules, or it COULD be perfectly innocent. If it were me, and this occurred on multiple occasions, I would likely take the license plate #, the car #, etc. and take the concerns to the Police Chief. I believe that our Iocal law enforcement tries their best to Protect and Serve. That being said, cops are human. Humans make errors. The key is to give the information (anonymous or not, that's up to you) to the correct person and then move on.

Sunshine Girl Sunshine Girl
Oct '14

" putting his gun in a different holster" ha!ha! Don't need a detective for that one!

De, Tummy issues? paperwork? You can't be serious, right?

Are those the excuses you use? lol!

Av111ks...I would never want to be involved with a police officer whether it be a husband, brother or son
I would always be a wreck because I know that it's terrible high stress job.it takes a certain person to want the job and the hours involved. I believe that this situation is probably purely innocent and really "who cares"? You dont know why hes there. It might be a relative or a real true friend and he has a bigtime commute. *probably (and most likely), he 's discreetly parking so that he can go and relax. Maybe already knows the neighbors but doesnt know you and so he leaves after you leave. Doesnt want people knocking on his door and disturbing him. Lots of different people on this forum. Remember that. Turn your head sometimes and know that "someone else can handle different situations in life". Let the nice police officer alone and for heaven sakes...don't report him. After all...he's not hurting you.

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Oct '14

"send a letter to the Chief, since they hold more weight as long as you include your name..Anonymous letters are useless."

Worst advice given on this forum. Ever.

Oct '14

Many police forces have 11-12 hour shifts, 4 days (or nights) on, 4 off. 1 hour lunch (dinner) break. I think they still take calls on their break, probably especially so in a small town. So if they go home for lunch, dinner, nap or "whatever", it is then legit, as long as they are still in their jurisdiction. If that applies in Hackettstown, consider yourself lucky to be in a building with extra security :)

Good luck with your decision . I know that you'll make the right one...

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Oct '14

Yes, most cops are allowed to take dinner and many that I know go to a friends or family's home if they live in the town they work in.

It's no different than you leaving your office during your lunch hour.

Nosila Nosila
Oct '14

Why do they work 12 hours? Who set that up? That's a long time for extremely boring, mostly behind the wheel work. It could just as easily be 8 hours shifts, with no change in manpower and maybe less overtime...oh wait, never-mind.

Oct '14

That is a really great friend to allow him to take his lunch/dinner break at their house at 4:00 a.m.

Personal time - MYOB.
Business time - YMWV
Miller time - Uh, never mind ;-)

justintime justintime
Oct '14

All the poster did was ask a simple question. This is something I'd like to find out also so I can see my tax dollars at work.

townie1 townie1
Oct '14

I just figured it out . I recall an Edison NJ Sgt or LT was reported for running the patrol car in his driveway for several hours while he watched the super bowl. Im betting this localish guy was catching up on Jersey Housewives .

jerseycash5
Oct '14

Perhaps the Police Officer has someone under surveillance, I have known them to set up in other peoples homes to do this....or perhaps the person living there needs protection from a potential threat.....Please dont always assume the police are slacking. I think you would be surprised at some of the situations going on in your own backyards.....believe me....

bowie bowie
Oct '14

This may explain it....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XNLi74_1vQ4

Ru4real Ru4real
Oct '14

"... I have known them to set up in other peoples homes to do this"

Baloney.

Oct '14

I can't believe some of the unbelievably ignorant responses in this thread....I also can't believe the amount of people who are giving the OP such a hard time for asking such an innocent, simple question. I'm sure you all would be the first to bash said officer if a major crime occurred and it was discovered he didn't respond in a timely manner because he was doing something he shouldn't have been...congratulations on defining hypocrisy

that being said, OP, I'd suggest getting in touch with internal affairs of whatever department this officer is a part of...no harm in voicing a concern, I'm sure the department would be happy to explain if it's simply an on-duty break. I'm also sure they would be glad to know if it's not that simple of a situation

long time lurker long time lurker
Oct '14

What should you do call the police and report a car parked at that location and your worried that some thing is wrong

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Oct '14

Report it. If nothing's shady then no harm done.

Really?
Oct '14

Reggie voter, I agree. I think someone has been watching too many movies :)

Report what, exactly? I can see the 911 call going something like this:

"Hi, this is Susie Homemaker. I see that there is a police car parked every night near my home... Yes, always around the same time... Yes, yes, I know that police officers get breaks just like the rest of us peons do!... No, no, I'm not assuming anything!...NO! I won't mind my own business! I *need* to know what this officer is doing!...But I NEED TO KNOW!...He/She MUST be doing something wrong, why else would it be the same time, early morning, on a regular schedule...I don't care if he/she is working the night shift!...I can't believe you won't tell me, I get more drama from my daytime soap operas than from this!"

OK, a bit of an exaggeration of course. But really, why *assume* there's something illegal going on. If the time of day is an issue, perhaps the officer has been watching you and wondering why you leave so early yourself. It is rather unusual - are you up to no good yourself? ;-)

justintime justintime
Oct '14

Couldnt agree more on every thing you posted ReggieVoter! +100000000000000

Oct '14

maybe he went there to save goldilocks from the three bears........

tunnel rat tunnel rat
Oct '14

That is true they do use peoples house for surveillance. I don't think that's the case this time because they wouldn't bring a marked car and uniform there

Booster90 Booster90
Oct '14

I may have missed this somewhere along, but if the officer is on a break, why is the car left running all that time?

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Oct '14

It's almost 2015. Can't we just behave like modern, civilized Americans, and set up hidden cameras to post stuff like this on YouTube?

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Oct '14

Re: Cop parked w/lights off

Community Caretaking Doctrine - the officer was "checking on a resident" - the point is we have no idea what the officer was doing - We can only hope it was appropriate and rely on the supervision in the department.

skippy skippy
Oct '14

"I may have missed this somewhere along, but if the officer is on a break, why is the car left running all that time?"

My guess is that it's policy to leave the cruiser running while on duty. In addition to the electrical load to power all of the equipment, it wouldn't be good to get a call and find out the starter is broken or the keys are lost.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Thank you Booster90, I know this because They Have Used Mine !!! Ok to all the know it all's ........

bowie bowie
Oct '14

yeah - that's common for EV's - you want to make sure it will start.

skippy skippy
Oct '14

Isn't idling a car for long bad? How do you lock it with it running? Sorry to derail this thread, just curious.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Oct '14

That's why government vehicles are auctioned off with low miles... police packages usually put in larger radiators, etc. to handle extended idling.

It's easy to lock a car while it's running. Just hope you have the door keys to get back in ;)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

In response to JerseyWolf "It's almost 2015. Can't we just behave like modern, civilized Americans, and set up hidden cameras to post stuff like this on YouTube?"
I'd like to set up cameras and follow you around your job. I'm sure you've never done anything wrong. NOT

Wolf Watch
Oct '14

they have Keyless Entry and Remote Vehicle Start - also there is a door unlock button hidden on the vehicle.

skippy skippy
Oct '14

Not all of them have Keyless Entry and Remote Vehicle Start - in fact I'm not sure how many do or don't. It's mostly up to each Town Council's requirements upon ordering the unit. The only door unlock button on mine was in the center of the dash to unlock the trunk quickly. A number of them are bare bones without even chip keys and won't let you lock the door with the engine running and the door open either.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

Wolf Watch - My employer has plenty of cameras that keep an eye on things at our facility - and I don't wield anywhere near the kind of equipment or power that police do (up to and including killing someone). As *public service* employee, police should be required to have cameras on their cruisers and persons (only turned off on designated breaks) to ensure proper use of taxpayer funds and provide irrefutable evidence for court cases (as opposed to just taking their word for something).

After all, if they have nothing to hide... isn't that the logic used against the public when it comes to surveillance and phone tapping, etc.? There should be no expectation of privacy while on the taxpayer's dime. Don't like it, find a private sector job.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

You are now facing the blue wall ! Turn your lights off, go to work,forget about it, what happens in Mayberry stays in Mayberry !

The state is coming down very hard on cops that do wrong. Was it Mt Olive where an officer recently lost his job for simply telling a neighbor one of his employees had a warrant out on him ? And in Rockaway an officer is facing job loss and a 5 year sentence for interfering with a relatives dwi issued by a trooper . Personally I feel the punishments on these 2 incidents are extreme .

I will support law enforcement 100% when they do the right thing but have no tolerance for them breaking the law and thinking they are god.

jerseycash5
Oct '14

What do you mean you have no tolerance? You just said that the punishments were too harsh.

Gadfly Gadfly
Oct '14

Gadfly In the 2 incidents I referred to I feel the punishment to be too severe. I didn't say they shouldn't be punished. Just because they did wrong doesn't mean we should hang them in the town square. Entiendo ?

jerseycash5
Oct '14

69 Posts on this subject .

rapmuzik rapmuzik
Oct '14

69 Posts on this subject .

rapmuzik

Lol............ and no one was hurt, lost, lost money, had food taken off their table, or even lost a pet.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Oct '14

I know the five years seems like a lot, but the guy lied to another cop to prevent him from appearing as a witness with the intent of sabotaging a prosecution. That's really bad in my book, and seems to fit the the crimes he's been charged with, including witness tampering.

Gadfly Gadfly
Oct '14

agreed phil - when I was on the job we only had the one round key for everything - I was mentioning the new RMPs they are ordering

skippy skippy
Oct '14

skippy

I saw these online while researching my car and was thinking how various Dept. members must be salivating to get their hands on them. I know I'd like one for civilian usage. Nothing like a 220 amp alternator:

http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/features/#/performance/

The only thing is that compared to the Crown Vic, I imagine it will be harder for local towns to order a bare bones-ish model. My retired Vic had no PATS so they wouldn't have to worry about having to have a limited amount of cloned keys and repairs to the ECU wouldn't require everything to be computer programmed to each other. The ECU was mounted on the Driver's side strut tower and was therefore just a plug and run deal.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

Agreed Phil - that's a gorgeous vehicle. I would have been happy to have a drivers seat that wasnt held up by a milk crate lol

skippy skippy
Oct '14

Here are a couple reviews of the Ford Taurus Interceptors...

As a fully geared up officer, you may not even fit in the Taurus.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/03/cop-reviews-cop-car-2013-ford-police-interceptor-sedan-taurus/

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tag/ford-police-interceptor/

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Ford failed with the NJSP, they went back to chevys

Chevy brought back the Caprice with a 6.0 V8, rear wheel drive, just like the cops are trained to drive.

http://budclarygmfleet.com/2015-chevy-caprice-police-ppv/

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Has anyone seen the new NJSP Caprice's on Route 80 yet? I've only seen them in South Jersey so far.

Supervisors got Tahoes and patrol got Caprice's. - 355bhp from the big block V8 - Direct injected. electric power steering,

skippy skippy
Nov '14

Mark Mc.

Since I'm not a cop, I just wanted one for civilian usage, especially with the AWD:-)
I always thought they made a HUGE mistake in discontinuing the Crown Vic, when they could have upgraded the platform instead of downsizing. From the book I read on Alan Mulally, he believed that building for the Fleet customer "cheapened the brand" and that was one reason they got rid of the Vic, though he may have meant keeping RWD for that customer base, since they do still have fleet vehicles.

Thanks for the articles you posted - they were interesting. As a mostly Ford guy, it disappoints me that they didn't redesign the Crown Vic with an officer in mind and increasing both power and overall road performance, rather than adapting an ill-fitting car to Police work. Apparently Alan does have some mistakes in judgement after all.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

By the way... it looks as though the PD could have their driving habits tracked:

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/ford-monitoring-system-keeps-tabs-cops-073009353.html

Wish I had a dollar for every cop I've seen that didn't signal their turns. Of course if I had a buck for everyone I've seen not signalling their turns or stopping in the middle of the road, then signalling or starting to turn, then signalling, I'd be really well off!

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

skip, the 6.0 is a small block, same motor in my suburban

The state police up north has just begun getting the caprices, you will see more of them come 2015

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

ah ok - is it the 350 with the R704 Tranny?

skippy skippy
Nov '14

The 6.0 is an LS block, a generation newer than the LT 350's.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

a 6.0 is a L96 which is about a 364

They are using a 6 speed automatic which is a 6L80

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/caprice-ppv/2014.tab1.html

Everyone I have heard from says it stays true to the old caprice's name, which was it will hold you in your seat! Those crown vics were pigs, but yes they were much more spacious.

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.