Endoscopy & colonoscopy at the same time?

My doctor wants to do both at the same time. How much more anesthesia would one have? that's what worries me!

Why didn't you ask the doctor?

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

I've had both procedures done before at the same time because of my Crohn's disease. I was "out of it" a little bit more than usual, but nothing extreme. Unfortunately I cannot remember how much anesthesia they used ( I did ask). Keep in mind, generally (not always), endoscopy's take less anesthesia than colonoscopy's, so I doubt you will be getting pumped with 3x more just because you are having 2 procedures done at the same time. I would definitely ask if it bother's you. Always good to ask!

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Oct '14

I did ask..they said speak to the anesthesiologist that morning.

Colonoscopy isn't a general anesthetic anyway, it's more "sedation". The last one I had gave you the exact medications used on a sheet of paper when they released you. The amounts probably don't mean much because they're based on your individual history and height/weight. The effects don't really do much for me but I do know some people don't remember everything because one of the medications they might give is propofol. That's the drug you heard about with Michael Jackson that specifically tends to make you forget for a very short period.

It should not be any more meds just because of two procedures, but by all means have a good chat with the anesthesiologist with any concerns. You'll do fine.

DH did and absolutely no issues during or after.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '14

I would rather have both done at the same time - and done --

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

I just recently had both done at the same time. Took 20 mins from when I was sedated till I woke. up. Stayed in Ebnbdoscopy dept 10 mins and went back to my room. Easy peezy.

Now headed to swallow the pill to check small intestines, I have Crohns also.

Christine Christine
Oct '14

ok..i feel better...thanks everyone! I over think things =)

Had both done and it was no problem. Definitely talk to your anesthesiologist and ask any questions you have so you feel comfortable before going in. It's natural to be nervous when going for any sedation or anesthesia.

I made my gastroenterologist laugh when I told him that if he used the same tube for both procedures to make sure the endoscopy was done first...LOL! :)

Good luck with your procedures!

Jules Jules
Oct '14

I hope its two different docs. I don't think I get get over the same doctor working on both endsnat the same time.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '14

nope just one doctor..what a week..mamo one day..now this..im done being violated..lol but gotta do what ya gotta do to be healthy! geez

Didn't realize so many on the forum had crohns. When I was first diagnosed 37 years ago, it was kind of odd thing to have.

Dansker Dansker
Oct '14

I'm just picturing the two ends of the scopes getting tangled like fishing lines underneath the boat....

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

My husband and I have both had an endoscopy and colonoscopy at the same time and never had a problem. I will share some information with you. I used to work for a local gastroenterologist. Many patients asked to have both procedures at the same time so they wouldn't have to take 2 days off from work. He told the patients that the insurance companies don't allow it. That is not true. The real reason he didn't want to perform both procedures was that he would get paid for 2 procedures and 2 surgical center fees compared to one.

Tweety Tweety
Oct '14

Bruin, that's too funny lol!

It sounds like quite a few people have had both procedures at the same time - did anyone use a local doctor ? Were the procedures done in the office or HRMC?

Local doctor, yes, three times at HRMC. But also at a previous doctor's office once, and once at my current GI doc in NYC.

@GC - thanks.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.