Nearest Kmart-Off Route 10 in Dover to close

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2014/09/kmart_in_randolph_closing_down_in_december.html
I've only been there once and I had no problems with it. It is very sad because you must remember that all the employees will need to find new jobs. Best of luck to them.

LngVly22 LngVly22
Oct '14

There is one in Palmer Pa. Right off Rt22. A little further away.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '14

The story mentions there is a Kmart that will stay open in Newton but there never has been one there. I still miss the Kmart we had in the Hackettstown Mall.

Wendy Wendy
Oct '14

Story says employees can apply for jobs in other kmarts. They mention Newton but there is no Kmart in Newton. Wonder if they meant Sears. Does this round of closures include Sears?

M & K M & K
Oct '14

The East Stroudsburg Kmart is almost exactly the same distance as the Dover one was.

M & K, the story I read about it mentions the Newton Sears as a place where employees can apply for jobs.

Aquarius Aquarius
Oct '14

Yes, there is a Sears in Newton, and also Rockaway. At least with upcoming holiday hiring, these people can hopefully secure similar retail jobs.

I went to the Dover one last Saturday and it was up to 30% off.. Got some Christmas stuff for my kids, nieces, and nephew there. They don't have much of a selection for toys or shoes. Good luck if you go because it was a mad house when I went! People everywhere and only one price checker worked! I might go back but not sure when....

Angelina Angelina
Oct '14

There's one in Parsippany next door to the Mega Shop Rite off Rt. 46.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

sears announced 5,500 layoffs today, kmart and sears co-own each other, i forget right now who has the controlling interest, it may be kmart

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '14

Phil D-Kmart in Parsippany? Didnt know that. Thanks

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '14

i like the dover kmart, and the east stroudsburg kmart.

sad to see this, don't want walmart to take over the whole world, they need some real competiton.

sears/kmart announced 77 stores closing before the end of the year, this is alarming when you consider that the x-mas shopping season is when they make the most of thier money

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '14

That's too bad. I was just reading this article about two weeks ago about Sears/Kmart and their increasingly nervous vendors:

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-sears-why-the-troubled-chains-vendors-are-worried--2014-10

It's a shame, but not surprising. KMart has been struggling for years. I think between Walmart and Target, there's no room for them in that market any longer. I think it didn't help that they never seemed to update their brand. At least I never saw it. KMarts always looked so dated and junky to me.

Sears also had been struggling for years. Again I always thought they had trouble updating their brand, and with so many mall anchor stores, the downturn of enclosed malls has just killed them.

Combining these two struggling entities did nothing to help either, as far as I can see.

Aquarius Aquarius
Oct '14

Kmart has closed over 600 stores over the last few years. The writing has been on the wall for awhile.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

"KMarts always looked so dated and junky to me. "

I went to the K-Mart in Stroudsburg a few years ago. I thought I accidentally stepped back into 1986.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

I had no idea anyone still shopped at KMart or that there were any still open. It's a shame that more people will be losing their jobs.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

The one in Somerset is still open. It's actually an ok store. For a KMart anyways.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '14

botheredbyuu2

http://www.kmart.com/stores/new-jersey/parsippany/3825.html

The last time I was in the store it didn't seem too bad, but then that was a bit over a year or so ago... .

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

Sears Stores will be the next ones to go. Very sad

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Oct '14

Probably Mr. Negative, but they are not adapting to our world today. Land's End will remain though...

Mark Mc. - That sounds like it was before Sears bought out KMart. The one in *East* Stroudsburg was remodeled then with more of the "Jaclyn Smith" look. That makes it a lot better than the Dover store. But you are correct, if you saw it before the two remodels that were done then 1986 is generous. That particular store was bought by KMart around 1976 when Grants went belly up. It never looked like it changed a day up until the day Sears came in. That's for sure.

POOR Kmart.... Gonna miss those "Blue Light" Specials!

I was just thinking, the other day......

About.... Channel Lumber; and Rickles... Haaaa! Got a lot of bargains there!
Then the "Rockaway Sales" on 46 in Rockaway came to mind. Christmas Time I remember fighting the crowds buying the Toy's for the kids. Geepers, I think my wife lived at that store.

And then the "Two Guys" stores. and the Shelby and "Jamesway."...

I remember hearing someplace, that K-Mart was originally "S.S. Kresges" ??? Then later named K-Mart ?

Embryodad Embryodad
Oct '14

True Embryodad

I remember S.S. Kresge stores. They used to be a five and dime store in the early days. They were renamed Kmart in 1977 as per the article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._S._Kresge

I used to work for Rickel Home Center stores in the early 80's. Mainly in Parsippany, but for short times in Ledgewood and West Orange. They did OK, up until they were forced to merge with Channel, which had sales of 50% less per store than did Rickel. The benefits were pretty good for my position as Dept. Manager, with Medical, Dental and Eyecare too, as well as company matching 401k. Regular full time workers had the same benefits, just not as paid quite as much as Dept. Managers. We always had new part-time kids come in that were lazy and whined about needing a Union, but we all had good benefits, salaries and protections listed in the company handbook such that there was no need to spend to have someone else negotiate to get what we already had.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

Took a ride today to Kmart in Dover...Store was not that crowded but noticed a lot of people buying toys and Christmas items. Most items in the store were 25% to 40% off in price. Many of the store aisles were already emptied out of stock but they still had plenty there to choose from..All sales final...

joyful joyful
Oct '14

Thanks joyful!

I remember they were one of the only places that still carried towels, etc. that were made in the U.S.A., such as Canon brand. I'll have to make a stop out there - maybe combine it with a trip to Cablevision to turn in my crappy modem and one of my cable boxes - grrr.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

I was in Marley's this evening and I am pretty sure overheard a dialogue like
"Where will the Kmart be?"
"In the old A&P."
"In Washington?"
"Correct."
I gasped, because I had never heard of this, and my wife did as well.
I dunno, it might be someone spreading rumors (in which case I guess im spreading them as well) but it was two men in smart attire eating dinner alone, could be a business deal.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Nov '15

C'mon. Read the facts on Kmart before posting some ridiculous rumor about a new store opening.

By the way, I was in the Kmart in Parsippany about a month and a half ago and the store was clean and had decent cashier staffing. There wasn't a lot of people shopping there, but I remember back just before Memorial Day my Dad and I were looking in a few places for flags made in the USA and the right size to put on my Great-Uncle's (WWII - 2nd Ranger Battalion) grave and KMart was the only place that had just what we were looking for. That's after going to 4 other places!

I've seen some ads saying that the Blue Light Specials will be coming back to KMart too:

http://www.kmart.com/en_us/dap/blue-light-specials.html

My Mom used to work in the old location in Parsippany for a number of years. She enjoyed working there and the people she worked with. She did say that the Blue Light Specials ended up causing all kinds of mess to clean up as people went insane to get to them and flung stuff all over looking through what was offered.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '15

Why would a company closing 900 stores and going out of business open a new one? Let alone under the brand that sunk instead of the one that is sticking around?

The East Stroudsburg Kmart isn't much further than the Dover one so it's not like you can't get a store if you wanted it anyway. It's a clean store with nice cashiers the same as Parsippany. All of the rewards points you get and how to use them before they expire can be complicated, and the cashiers are always helping the shoppers get the most out of them. They must have quite a bit of training.

There is a K-Mart in Easton on 25th Street

By the way, those Blue Light Specials I mentioned on the above web site happen online as well. They run limited time low price leaders online as a "BLS".

Just checked it and while last night it showed the special directly, now it says you need to download an app to show the online BLS.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '15

My apologies for spreading the rumor. I called Kmart HQ and they said that while they are opening a few new stores in the coming months, none will be in NJ or even on the east coast.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Nov '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.