Need advice on ticks and Frontline

I always put Frontline Plus on my dog every month. I had noticed this month is not working very well. My two dogs go out to play on my yard (which is fenced) and they come back with one or two ticks. Never had that problem before and I'm concerned that they will bring ticks in the house or I will get one on me. My question is if I should also put a flea/tick collar on them or maybe use a spray. Or I should get somebody to spray my yard. Is it safe to spray them with more, I'm pregnant so all these chemicals could be dangerous for my baby. I know i'm asking a lot of questions but I really need help. Thanks

Bella76 Bella76
Oct '14

I would ask your vet

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

There was recently a segment on TV about Frontline. Someone from the company was stressing that it is very important to always follow the recommended schedule as there is a loss in effectiveness if you miss a day or more before the next treatment.

Just an FYI....

OnThe Edge OnThe Edge
Oct '14

our indoor outdoor cat was good all summer with the ticks (he wears a collar). Then just in the past 2 days we have noticed dead ticks in our carpet. Not sure what it is about this autumn or this past week why he is now bringing them in

Buddy54 Buddy54
Oct '14

I stopped using Frontline years ago, as it did not seem to work. Advantix has been a good product. I'd be afraid to double up. Maybe add garlic to the diet.

I personally would not spray chemicals in my yard. Especially since you are pregnant.

I am having the same problem, but with fleas. I went to pet valu and they told me that the pests are becoming resistant to the front line and to try k9advantics (sp) I have put it on him and have not seen any on him but still scratching like crazy. Time to make a trip to the vet again. Ugh!

Cherie Cherie
Oct '14

I agree with maja. We used Frontline when we first got Daisy and it didn't work. Been using Advantix ever since. No problems.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

This past month I had to take two ticks of the furrier one of us and I got one out of my back that had somehow become embedded in there! No fun at all for him or I!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

Ticks are especially bad last week and this week. It's because it's getting cold out. Happens every year. My vet told me that ticks are developing resistance to Frontline, too, as mentioned above. You could add a flea/tick collar to your pet, or try an all-natural remedy our neighbors turned us on to: get citronella oil (natural, available online), put a few drops in a water squirt bottle, add water, shake, and spray the legs of your pet, especially before they go out. Seems to help. I also spray my walking shoes or hiking boots. We've stopped using our outdoor run and are walking the dogs mostly on the driveway as opposed to running them in the fields because the ticks are so bad right now. Upside: ticks do become dormant when the weather gets cooler, I think below 40 degrees or so, not sure the exact temperature.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '14

Frontline never worked for our dogs. One got lyme while using it. Advantix is what we now use and have gotten a few but not embedded.

Christine Christine
Oct '14

There is a new product from the makers of Frontline called Nexgard. Its a chewable tablet so you don't have to worry about topical chemicals. I work at a vet hospital, and have not heard of anyone coming back with ticks after using this.

Rhonda Rhonda
Oct '14

Put a collar on, along with Frontline or equilvant.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '14

re Nexgard, note that it is NOT a preventative...it will not keep the fleas/ticks off the dog, it will only kill them after they have latched on. The only tick it specifies that it is effective against is the American dog tick, NOT deer ticks which are the main carriers of Lyme in this area. For these reasons I passed on it for my dog. Might try Advantix as I'm having the same problem w/Frontline. HATE TICKS!

Davis Davis
Oct '14

FYI... I know there aren't alot of greyhound owners here, and they probably know this already, but....

DO NOT USE TICK COLLARS ON GREYHOUNDS!!! They have a different chemistry than other dogs, and it is POISONOUS to them!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Oct '14

some i know has a dautsen. the dog wound up gettingn paralazed (not walking right) and other issues. They bought it to a vet who gave them liver cleansing supplements and something else, and did accupuncture on the dog, and the dog recovered for the most part.

that stuff is poison, especially if used in a high quanity or on a small dog with too much solution. i would NEVER put that on any pets I ever had. i bathed them in Natural Chemistry solutions whenthey had fleas, every weekend for 1-2 months. the fleas are TG no more!!

Cats Owner Cats Owner
Oct '14

We stopped Frontline years ago too. We now use Vectra 3D, haven't had a tick since we switched. We also spray the yard in the Spring, that helps immensely with tick control.

Townie70 Townie70
Oct '14

Well, I would LOVE to stop using Frontline (or any chemical treatment), and Indy hasn't had a tick on him in the 3 years that we've had him.... but I'll admit, I'm scared to not treat him SOMEHOW.... if he got a tick, and a disease from it that lowered his quality of life or shortened it, I'd never forgive myself :(

Oct '14

Thanks everybody. I'm switching to K9 Advantix II. Hopefully this one works better than Frontline Plus. :) I don't want my Furbabies to get sick or myself.

Bella76 Bella76
Oct '14

I may have to change too. My yard is fenced as well and I've rarely found a tick on him in the last 7 years I've had him. Two within a few days of one another and one on me is not only a bit much, but also quite unusual!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

I agree with you Phil D. Never had tis problem before but now it is very unisual that my 2 dogs are coming back with ticks maybe one or two crawling on them. Very scary for me. I will let you know if the Advantix II works better

Bella76 Bella76
Oct '14

Been using Brewers Yeast with Garlic for over 15 years. Seldom, like maybe one a year, do I see a tick. No fleas either. Safe for my pooch, and she loves the tabs. I just didn't like putting poison on my dog. Bella, congratulations. Please let us know when your new addition arrives.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Oct '14

ms fishy,

Could you explain what you do with the yeast and garlic? Garlic is one of the dog toxins, or at least it is for greyhounds... onions, garlic, nightshades

Oct '14

It comes in a tablet. Can be purchased in all the pet stores and Tickners. It's one tab per 10 lbs. My pooch is just over 60 lbs, so I give her 7 tabs. It's safe for dogs and cats. Not sure about the greyhounds, although I believe my pooch is part greyhound, at least she runs like one. (well, when she was younger, she is now 11) I used to feed one tab to my cat. (she weighed 7 lbs) She was a house cat, but liked the tabs, and she had long hair and didn't get matted. Another plus.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Oct '14

Ms. Fishy, thank you!
I'm do on Feb 04, 2015 but i'm having some complications. I'm on bed rest until the due date :( hopefully things goes as plan and my baby girl waits until Feb. Just have to keep praying :)

Bella76 Bella76
Oct '14

I came across this re-posting of an article on giving garlic to dogs, and whether or not it is even effective. I don't know the source, but it's enough information to make me extremely concerned, and dig deeper for more information:

GARLIC

Garlic in all forms are today used my many dog owners. It is used for “health reasons”, as taste enhancer but most off all in the spring/summer period as a tick repellent. Besides fresh garlic, powder and capsules that you buy in ordinary shops, it is also added to some dog foods. On top of this special feed additives in powder and tablets are made for dogs. The interesting in this is that there is no research supporting that Garlic should have any positive effects for dogs. There is for humans and horses but not for dogs.

On the other hand research results has shown the effects in dogs after consuming garlic. Both spontaneous and permanent damages has been found and proven. Regardless of the quantity of Garlic the dogs has been given and regardless of the time span. Results show the same, Garlic do damage to a dogs health.

THIOSULFATE

This relates to that all onion sorts, eating onions, flower onions, - raw, cooked or dried – contains something called thiosulfat. Thiosulfate is a nutrition salt, which helps amongst other humans and horses take up B-vitamins. Dogs though, miss the necessary enzyme, which horses and humans have, to break down this substance and it turns toxic. Thiosulfate breaks down the red blood cells cell wall (haemoglobin), which results in anima in large doses of Garlic.
If you give a 20,0kg dog about 300g of raw dried onion, it will cause a toxicfication. Even one clove of raw Garlic or a teaspoon of dried garlic powder has the same effect. Even small regular consummation of Garlic is damaging (=1 teaspoon, 1 clove pr day is damaging) The blood is cleaned in the liver which then are permanently damaged by the Thiosulfate as it can not be broken down by the dogs inner organs.

SYMPTONS OF TOXIFICATION

At acute toxification go to the Vet.
Symptoms at large consummations
· Vomiting
· Weakness/not wanting to move
· Loose stoles / scours
· High heartbeat
· Blood coloured urine
· Hyper ventilation
· Pale gums / membranes

These symptoms do not necessary accrue directly after consummation, not even the same day. They normally show a couple of days after consummation.

SMALL DOSES

At regular intake of small doses the symptoms are difficult to detect and the permanent liver damage will come creeping. The symptoms can differ from animal to animal.

· Vomiting now and again over longer periods
· Slow developing fatigue
· Slow weight lost
· Pale gums / membranes
· Poor coat

If the toxification is not detected on time, it can be fatal. Most of all it is always damaging to the dog and can give permanent damage.

GARLIC VS TICKS

Regarding use of Garlic against ticks!
It has been shown that Garlic do nothing when it comes to Ticks. Smell, taste or anything from the onion has shown to be an effective repellent of Ticks.
On the other hand has research shown that B-Vitamins has that effect.
Instead of that spoon full of garlic powder or that clove of garlic, I can recommend that you give a supplement of B-vitamins to protect your dog. Today there are not 100% effective products that can protect against ticks, but there are alternative products on the marked for your dog than the DAMAGING GARLIC.

//Lena Mattsson Animal Biopat/Homeopat and nutrition physiologist.

Oct '14

Thanks JeffersonRepub. Never had a problem, but now you have me thinking. My hound is 11 yrs old and a "mutt". She is healthy, and active, so apparently she isn't negatively affected by the small amt of garlic she has been eating for 11 years. I don't want anything to happen to her b/c of the tabs, but don't want to put poison on her coat either. So, what to do?

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Oct '14

That is indeed the million-dollar question, Ms Fishy.

Oct '14

I used brewers yeast for years with my dog and it seemed to be very effective. I seldom found a tick and he never had any fleas.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '14

Has anyone tried the new product Bravecto yet? I just heard about it from my vet's office last week. It's a pill that lasts for 12 weeks. We are considering it for Daisy as the Advantix we use, although it works, makes her very itchy for a several days after application.

http://us.bravovets.com

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.