Job search sites

I'm getting very frustrated with my job search and am finding nothing! What are some of your favorite job search sites? I already use Monster, Careerbuilder and Indeed. Also, if you know any companies that are hiring that would be helpful too. Thanks!! :)

JB0103 JB0103
Oct '14

Another good site is Glass Door. You should also make sure that you're LinkedIn profile is up to date. Good luck.

What field are you in? I'm curious about other recommendations as well.

Those are the sites that I have casually browsed in the past, but I'll have to get more serious next year (we were recently informed that our Hackettstown facility will be shut down by the end of 2015).

Maybe you just need to expand the search area. I'm in manufacturing/engineering and there isn't much around here. I figure I'll either have to go back to commuting East or use this as a kick in the pants to move out of New Jersey altogether.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

I'm a Logistics Coordinator for an herbal extract company. I have a bachelor's degree in Business Management.

JB0103 JB0103
Oct '14

If you are in an industry specific position, look at companies that you like, and when you fill out the form pay attention to the sites they list when they ask you where did you find us. You may see some industry specific niche sites.

But have been job hunting for a while now, and the monsters etc are just a black hole. 90% of the calls that I got are due to the fact that I send a hard copy of my resume. Sounds strange, but when you submit online it is going into a database and being scored based on keywords. Chances are it will never see the light of day. But by sending a hard copy you may get someone to actually read the resume and see what you have vs just a couple key words.

Good luck to you.

I have had luck with indeed and dice

skippy skippy
Oct '14

I'm having the same issues. Today I attempted to apply for a job and all the link did was sign me up for another "search" site and I never even submitted an application for the job! Very frustrating.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Oct '14

Bill is 100% correct! I worked as an exec recruiter for many years. Getting a hard-copy resume printed out on nice paper is a TREAT in this day and age. It definitely makes you stand out from the crowd! Send a hard-copy to any company you are serious about.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '14

what hackettstown facility is slated to close in 2015?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '14

Follow up on my post about sending hard copies. Use linked in to find a name of a person in HR or if smaller company the president. And if they do not show their last name on linked in, do a search for the company name, and their name and in the search results you should see their full name.

Craigslist generated more interviews for me than any individual job site.
Many recruiters post there and your resume goes directly to their email.

MikeL MikeL
Oct '14

"what hackettstown facility is slated to close in 2015?"

Can't really say due to confidentiality issues.

It's a manufacturing plant, but don't worry it isn't Mars, so the M&M's are safe. Our products will still be manufactured, just not in New Jersey (although still in the USA for the most part).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

I definitely agree about hard copy resumes, but also would say web sites aren't always the best way for opportunities. Sometimes, particularly those niches, the jobs on the web are the ones no one has filled for the last year or more. It might be the company environment, or the pay rate is too low, or any number of reasons why.

Particularly in a niche I would suggest being proactive and not reactive. Find the companies in your industry you want to work for and approach them instead. That requires a different strategy because you rarely can just come up to them and knock on the HR door. You've got to network and get introduced by a contact. Hopefully as a niche there is some kind of trade organization or other industry gathering you can attend. That's a great place to work on jobs while talking to real decision makers instead of some 3rd party who doesn't know the niche.

LinkedIn can be a great way to work that as well. Find the company, and then find some employees there that are a couple of links away. Ask one of your links to introduce you to their link, and you have a direct contact who already agrees to find out who you are. You won't have a communications barrier that way.

Thank you all for the advice. I will be working on all of this. Years ago I used to actually take an entire day and go into companies (like BASF and Liz Claiborne for example) I wanted to work for and drop off my resume. I don't think that would be acceptable any longer, but I will be more than happy to mail hard copies.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Oct '14

casoneexchange

check it out, updated every week with jobs, companies and trends

for the PMP types dice.com has many, many jobs, they are not just for IT anymore, although they are great for IT and engineering still

the market for project managers is hot right now, even hotter if you have current certs

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '14

Do the old fashioned thing - pick up the phone!

I have placed many people who have called me - for jobs and I've been able to help them.
Use LinkedIn to connect with people in your industry - when they accept your invite - tell them your looking to make a change and to keep you in mind for future job opportunities. (As an IT recruiter i use Linked in for 90% of my candidate searches).

Also, in your linked in profile - make sure you state "looking for new opportunities".

good luck!

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Oct '14

agree with the networking suggestion. are there any industry organization (the logistics institute) that have organization meetings in the "area"? head off, talk with people there, and then maybe the 2nd time you go, bring the resume, ask about known openings and good contacts, ...

ken e
Oct '14

Many years ago I went to the NJ unemployment office in Morristown, after I told them I did not want money but help finding a job, they did not know what to do with me. I wound up in the office with the director and with the help of some phone calls and a pot of coffee, I found a job with NCR Corp.

Donw2 Donw2
Oct '14

Thank you everyone!! I will definitely take all the advice!

I don't know anything about LinkedIn so I will definitely create a profile with them. Will my current co-workers be able to see that I'm looking?

JB0103 JB0103
Oct '14

Do your self a favor & stop wasting time with the internet. It does not work been there. What does work & I have gotten hired every time is the old fashion walk & go there in person face to face.

tangerine tangerine
Oct '14

yes - they can see if you are looking ...

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Oct '14

They can see, but it's not hard to simply not list everything. Or make your Linked In profile private to anyone who is not your link. You can have your current info available but just not put the preference of "interested in new jobs" as well. There are things you can do on LinkedIn not to publicly say you're in the job market.

I would strongly recommend LinkedIn for any "professional" positions. Just be sure to understand the security settings and triple check for typos. Once on you can link to companies you are interested to and apply to them. GC made some good comments above.

I have blocked almost everyone that I work with, so hopefully that helps! If they find out that I'm looking I definitely be out of a job before I have a new one!

JB0103 JB0103
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.