Heating oil disposal

I am in the process of converting my oil steam boiler to gas - the next step is to drain and get rid of the 2-275 tanks in the basement. I ran the tanks till they would no longer supply the burner - I know the tank pickups do not set on the bottom which is done to avoid getting sludge - so how much oil can I expect to still have in the bottom of each tank?

Where and how is the best way to get rid of the waste oil/sludge that remains?

Finally, what is the procedure/best way to get rid of the tanks - how clean do they need to be for recycling them? Does anyone want a couple tanks that were kept in a basement since originally being installed?

I did the same thing in my home, less than two years ago. It was rather a nuisance, getting the last little bit of oil out of the tank, but it wasn't much (maybe a gallon or two). I just ended up burning it, outside.

Disposing of the tanks can be a pain, as you're supposed to cut open the tanks, scrub the oil from the insides, have them inspected by the town, then take them to a landfill/scrapyard--all of which will cost you time and money. However, if the tanks are still in good shape, you can likely find someone who will take them for free (or maybe even pay you for them), considering the cost of new tanks. (I ended up giving mine to a relative who needed a new one.) Posts ads on here and on Craigslist.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Oct '14

My oil company at the time I removed my in ground tank had a truck that came and sucked the oil out of my tank (and gave me a credit for the oil removed). Then, their contractor dug up the tank and cut the top open, and a guy in a suit went in and cleaned out the remaining guck. I'm a do it yourself kind of guy, and this is not something I would attempt, because where do you legally dispose of the guck and all the rags, etc?

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.