Coyotes in Brooks Hollow across from the Hospital

Found a Coyote gnawing at a deer carcass this morning in Brooks Hollow across from the hosptial, has anyone else seen or heard of coyotes in the area?

Coyotes have been in NJ as far back as the 1930's.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/coyote_info.htm

We're in one of the "hotter" spots for them if you look at the occurence map linked on that site.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

There are coyotes in Panther Valley also- have seen them myself in a pack recently.

behappy! behappy!
Oct '14

We get them all the time here in independence according to our trail cameras

townie1 townie1
Oct '14

Although we may be in an area that certainly has them, it's the first time I've heard of a report of a coyote. Literally herds of deer and rabbit, foxes, and recently a half dozen bear incidents - yes. But it's also the first time I've heard we have a dead deer laying around. I'm not surprised it would draw a coyote. Has someone been called to remove the carcass?

We've also seen Coyotes on our property in Independence. We see lots of Bear ... 4 at a time have been in our backyard this year. One Bear came right up on the deck; stood up and put it's paws on the railing and looked in at me while I was sitting at my kitchen table. I move quickly, but never jumped up as quickly as that morning! The Bear just went back down on all 4 and sauntered slowly down the deck stairs and went on its merry way. GC, as to removal of carcass, I've been told that you have to call a private business for removal. Do you know if that's true?

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Oct '14

Mrs Pipes - It depends. If it's out in the street or on state/town property then no. But if it's in your yard, then yes. I haven't ever needed to call, but several people have told me Lakota Preserve will come out quickly and gladly take it.

I live in that area and coyotes have definitely been seen here. My neighbor turned on his outside light one night after hearing a noise and there was a coyote eating his garbage. I also walk the dogs very early in the morning and would hear them in the distance. I assumed they were in Stephens State Park since that is relatively close. I haven't heard them recently, but I'm sure they are still around.

Where exactly did you see it this morning? I'm just curious because I didn't see any dead deer on my walk.

I saw it Sunday morning in the field behind the houses on Saxton / Musky Ridge. The carcass was hauled off by the coyote, down towards the river, but it was alraedy picked clean and whatever else was left the vultures got. A very efficent operation between them.

I haven't ever heard or seen coyotes in Rustic Knolls but if they are as close as Brook Hollow now, I'll have to be on the look out for them.

Wendy Wendy
Oct '14

Oh ok I didn't walk on Sunday and it was dark when I was out this morning. No, they don't leave any to waste do they lol!

Coyote back in the same area this morning. Spent a good amount of time just looking around the field

Now I am curious... a few mornings ago during my walk I saw what I assumed was a fox. He was sitting at the edge of the field just looking around. As I started to get closer, he ran. I didn't think much of it and he was a bit too far ahead for me to get a good look. Now I'm wondering if it was the coyote that you have been seeing?

I think I may have seen the same coyote. He was perched on the top of a small cliff with an anvil and appeared to be watching birds.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Oct '14

Really interesting site Marc Mc - thanks for posting it.

pmnsk pmnsk
Oct '14

JRJ - While time have these two sightings been? There are so many dog walkers, but mostly after day light. I'd be concerned if it was a time when people would be going by regularly.

By the field, you don't mean the Watch Hill catch basin, but the common area instead, correct? There used to be foxes all the time, particularly around Scenic. But Hunters Brook took down all the trees and that's rare now. Instead it seems to be the year of the bear.

Coyote sightings have been in the morning between 6 am and 9 am

You think NJ has a problem

http://medinagazette.northcoastnow.com/2014/11/13/hunting-guide-service-planning-coyote-hunt/

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '14

The results
http://medinagazette.northcoastnow.com/2014/12/01/wiley-coyotes-elude-hunters/

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.