Wallpaper remover?

Which is the best way and or chemical to use to remove wallpaper border. Any suggestions?!

Bella76 Bella76
Oct '14

Hot water and vinegar work best for me.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Oct '14

We have removed wallpaper borders several times and have had great success with DIF. It's available as a gel at Home Depot. I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser-32-oz-DIF-Gel-Wallpaper-Stripper-Spray-2466/202911113

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Oct '14

My friend works for a wallpaper company and changes wallpaper in her house constantly. She swears by using fabric softener mixed with water. Mix capful of softener with a quart of water, score the wallpaper then sponge the solution onto the wallpaper let it soak for a bit and then scrape off.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

I used a steam cleaner and steamed the wallpaper to get it down, they use wall paper remover to remove the glue, this worked great for real old wall paper

Darrin Darrin
Oct '14

I used DIF and loved it.

Challah Challah
Oct '14

x3 on DIF. A steamer is also good.

sack
Oct '14

DIF worked great for me, too. Just follow the directions and experiment a bit. Each type of wallpaper is different. The last time I used it, I ended up easily peeling off the outside (decorative) layer of the wallpaper, then having to thoroughly wet the backing that was still on the wall, and let it sit for a little bit--but not so long that it dried. I then used a basic scraper, and most of it just peeled off easily and cleanly. A few spots I had to re-wet and then do again, but ultimately, it worked very well. After removal, I'd also recommend carefully wiping the wall with a sponge and clear water, so that the remaining (blue-colored) DIF is also removed.

Also, keep in mind that it can get a bit messy, so you might want to put down some drop cloths, before you start.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Oct '14

DIF all the way, there is no easier method.

2 cents
Oct '14

Thanks so much for your advice. I will get DIF this weekend. :)

Bella76 Bella76
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.