Salvation Army Store

If this is true about a salvation army thrift store opening up in the old rite aid on mountain avenue ? I heard it from a reliable source. They said its going to put a big dent in trinity with there high prices. I haven't seen any activity going on there

tangerine tangerine
Oct '14

I find it highly unlikely - the rent has been prohibitively expense for several businesses coming into town, I doubt the Salvation Army could afford it.

trekster3- trekster3-
Oct '14

I've heard from a good source also that the Salavation Army thrift store is going in there. Personally I wouldn't think that the place would put a big dent into Trinity.

I was just in Trinity yesterday and purchased an 18 months onesies for .12 by Carters. It was on the reduced rack for 75% off. The original price was .50. There prices aren't high. If you find that they are you just have to wait for the 50% and 75% off sales, and hope that the item is still there. I've also purchased a 6 qt. crockpot for I think $8. It was like new and I surely couldn't have purchased it in Walmart or anywhere else for that matter any cheaper.

Having stopped in Salavation Army thrift stores while traveling in various states I don't find them to be very well priced on everything. Once in a while they will run a sale on certain items.

If you haven't checked out the Trinity Thift Shop you should do so. They have a few Halloween costumes in the place right now. Yesterday I noticed that they also had rolls of fabric for $10. Have you priced fabric lately? Some of what I saw I think goes for over $10 a yard and there were several yards on the rolls that I saw.

Happy shopping!

Magpie Magpie
Oct '14

If you really want to know if the Salvation Army is going to set up shop here, why not just call the New Jersey Division (973) 539-2700. That would be my reliable source :-).

I'd be pumped for a Salvation Army, but Trinity is one of the best thrift stores I've ever been to. Only once have I kinda scratched my head at their pricing. I always get amazing deals there, their turnover of merchandise is great with new stuff coming out almost daily, and the volunteer staff is very friendly.

Fuji
Oct '14

The fact that the pop up Halloween store didn't come back this yr shows how high the rent of that building is. I can't imagine a Salvation Army store being able to handle that rent

Darwin Darwin
Oct '14

Darwin, maybe the store is rented and the pop-up store couldn't sign a lease this year. There is a pop-up store in the ITC mall now and I would think the rent up there is a lot higher than here in town?

Onlooker
Oct '14

Maybe the owners can claim a charitable donation if they rent to Salvation Army at a reduced rate?

music gal music gal
Oct '14

Why is the rent prohibitively expensive in town, greedy landlords? I can't understand why they would want a property to be sitting empty when you can have it rented out.

kb2755 kb2755
Oct '14

Rite aid owns the building. They would be the landlords. they want 5figure monthly rent. They are currently writing off the the building on their taxes so they are fine with not renting it for below their asking price.

Darwin Darwin
Oct '14

So let's say they are asking $10,000 a month, that is $120,000 a year. I am not a tax expert but thought they could only claim depreciation of the property.

kb2755 kb2755
Oct '14

Where is the "Trinity thrift store". I would love to take a look at it. Thanks in advance :)

Bella76 Bella76
Oct '14

Trinity Thrift Shop

213 Main St.
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
Phone: (908) 850-3669

Stewart Stewart
Oct '14

I had been to Trinity TS years ago and found it to have junk. JMO. Maybe its changed over the years. I will try it again.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '14

They remodeled last year. More merchandise, better selection, and a much easier store to navigate.

Fuji
Oct '14

Thanks Fuji. Will definitely give it another try.

Oct '14

I called. They say no new stores.

so i guess tangerine doesn't have a reliable source.

that store is way too expensive for them. heck too expensive for most businesses.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

I heard (ut oh, rumor patrol) that some of Target stores will be closing after the holidays.

Oct '14

that's old news BBYU, they announced that in the beginning of the year. but none anywhere in NJ. in fact they are opening more in NJ.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

Oh, just heard it the other day. I was told the one in Washington Township, Rt46, is one that is closing.

Oct '14

A quick google search comes up with these Target locations closing:

West Dundee, Illinois; Las Vegas and North Las Vegas, Nevada; Duluth, Georgia; Middletown and Trotwood, Ohio; Memphis, Tennessee; and Orange Park, Florida

http://tcbmag.com/News/Recent-News/2014/January/Targets-Plans-Now-Call-For-10-New-Stores,-12-Clos

My husband works for the Target in Washington Rt.46 and haven't hear anything of closing. Hopefully they won't!!

Bella76 Bella76
Oct '14

Thanks you Stewart :)

Bella76 Bella76
Oct '14

Speaking of Salvation Army Thrift Stores, I went to one today to drop off some pretty good small appliances...I mean, new or hardly used. There were two guys loading a SA box truck in the dock area. Stuff was going out of the store and into the truck. I asked them where to put the stuff I brought and they indicated a spot by the truck.

Long story short, the truck was filled with junk (moldy mattresses and ugly furniture) and pretty decent stuff (general household goods.) I suspected the destination was the dump, and the guy loading the truck confessed that it "very likely was."

He said getting rid of otherwise useable stuff along with the true garbage (that some people foist upon such charities for the tax deduction) was very distressing to him.

So, I left some stuff there, knowing that it would likely be thrown away, and brought back the rest.

I was distressed too, but I could see the necessity of it.

Think before you add more to your pile via "retail....or yard sale... therapy", then think again before you plunk down yer' cash.

Anyone who has had to move, clean out a deceased relative or friend's house...or just had to de-clutter...should know this very well.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Oct '14

Just passed by the old Rite Aid. It is being set up with racks of clothing. No signs of any type but it looks like some type of thrift store is going in there.

Thriftdaddy Thriftdaddy
Feb '15

Yesssssss!

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Feb '15

Salvation Army from what I heard.

Magpie Magpie
Feb '15

Yesterday night I saw the 'Salvation army coming soon' words on the side of the building. So its confirmed I guess

This is so exciting. I hate having to go to Dover.

fuji
Mar '15

Nothing better to spruce up the main road through Hackettstown.

Banana Banana
Mar '15

Confirmed. Saw the signs for a family store coming soon about half an hour ago. Hyped!

fuji
Mar '15

Banana - its not sprucing up the area of Main St, that needs sprucing. Mountain Ave, where its going to be, is nice already. Lots of fast food and restaurants and shopping.

Mar '15

That sounds right.

Denis Denis
Mar '15

Anyone know when they are hiring? Are there people in there now, taking applications?

Mar '15

Went to the Trinity Thrift store today. Same as I remember it : (

Mar '15

Any info from the BID on when the Salvation Army family store will be open? Is that area considered Hackettstown or Mansfield?

fuji
Mar '15

Its Hackettstown. Mansfield doesn't start until you get to Mansfield Village Apts on Rt 57

Mar '15

The salvation army stuff is already in there.

Smash Smash
Mar '15

Yeah but there's zero info online about the store or when it's going to open.

fuji
Mar '15

I applied for a job, online like they told me. Haven't heard anything.

Mar '15

Botheredbyuu2
where/how did they tell you to apply? I've been looking online and can't find anything.

curiousc curiousc
Mar '15

What else do they sell at the SA stores besides clothes? I've never been in one and I can't wait to get in there. Are the prices really very low?

jaemae jaemae
Mar '15

Clothes, appliances, dishware, videos/cd's/video games, toys, artwork, housewares, furniture, sporting equipment. It's a large thrift store. I can't wait either.

fuji
Mar '15

curiousc - they told me to go online to careerbuilders.com and search the Salvation Army. There is no application. They want your resume sent to them. Didn't see job openings listed for H'town (did see Vineland and Rockaway) but I did write in my cover letter that that is the location I'am applying to. Good luck! I still haven't heard anything. Have no idea when they are opening.

Mar '15

Any news on its opening date?

Sfam05 Sfam05
Mar '15

Any news?

fuji
Apr '15

Now that we're on the subject of donations in general, you know those "planet aids " dumpsters were you can donate clothing? Well, read the fine print on the container. It all gets sold, by the pound over seas.... not distributed to the needs of our own people, in the USA. Notice on some of those documentaries, where they show islanders in remote places , wearing Nike cloths, etc. I know they don't use cash, but those divers trade pearls, rare shells and the like. Those dumpsters are everywhere, spread across the country. Who ever owns them is literally "cleaning up " Point is.... avoid donating good stuff to them and let charity begin at home. Obviously it's your choice.... I'm just "venting ". Oops, sorry.... the "venting" thread is another topic.

sallysimpson sallysimpson
Apr '15

I always take my donations to the Tri-County FD on Rt 57, Mansfield. The woman that was there during "donation" day told me that those clothes do get sent to people in need. Take your stuff there. STAY AWAY from those other bins. Sally is absolutely right.

Apr '15

I am kind of disappointed that its not going to be a different store. I guess its back to Chester

htownlifer htownlifer
Apr '15

Confirmed opening on Thursday, April 9:

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/local/morris-county/2015/04/06/salvation-army-family-store-open-hackettstown/25350983/

Very excited to finally get in there!

fuji
Apr '15

It doesn't say what time!

Apr '15

you need to be there right when they open?

darwin darwin
Apr '15

If I choose to be. LOL. No, not really, but if I decide to go out and want to stop there, it would be nice to know what time they open. 9am, 10am? Makes a difference when you are planning your day.

Apr '15

Why would you celebrate a salvation army store?Hackettstown is in a downward spiral,looks just like dover now and will get worse(but we don't chase the people off the street corners like dover does from time to time,we encourage day labors to hang all over main street.

Whatup
Apr '15

Whatup - The $ made at the store goes to help people. Read the link above from fuji.

Are they causing trouble by hanging out on Main Street?

Apr '15

I think some people would be surprised to see who shops in thrift stores.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '15

I know Macklemore does

Booster90 Booster90
Apr '15

Good one Booster90

Bessie Bessie
Apr '15

I know one thing.
My wife will be there to celebrate and welcome the store.
She was one of those little Girls, that stood in line for the Christmas Season, to get a Winter Coat, a pair of rubber boots, and a Doll.

Her Christmas gift, was "The Salvation Army"..... "God Bless Them!"

Embryodad Embryodad
Apr '15

Ditto to Embryodad's sentiments.....My husband's family were one of the families years ago out in the cold and snow ringing the bell for donations to the Salvation Army and we still support this worthy organization..

joyful joyful
Apr '15

Welp, still not open. Have no idea what's up with this place.

fuji
Apr '15

Just went down, not open yet. Oh well, as par usual in these parts lol. Anyone know the actual opening date?

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Apr '15

There's been close to zero information about this store online aside from very uninformative articles on the Daily Record and NJ.com sites, Weebie.

fuji
Apr '15

Went by a little before 12 and not opened. Bummer!

Apr '15

FYI - We've reached out to their corporate offices and have not heard any word - if we get any information we will certainly share.

Wendy @ Hkt BID Wendy @ Hkt BID
Apr '15

Thanks fuji. Hopefully soon we will hear :)

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Apr '15

Anybody pass by today and see if it was open yet?

fuji
Apr '15

A interview about the opening of the store and what it would have in it, where it was located, etc. was on WRNJ this morning again but they did not say when it was going to be officially open for business...

joyful joyful
Apr '15

will they take donations?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '15

They mentioned on the radio this morning that they would be taking donations, Brother Dog, and that they would be tax deductible.

joyful joyful
Apr '15

Joyful - the radio announcer didn't ask the rep. when it would open? That's odd.

Apr '15

FYI - the clothes you put in those yellow bins, are also tax deductible. You don't need a receipt either to prove it. (can't get receipt from a box, LOL). Its on your tax forms. You estimate the value of what you donated. I don't suggest putting clothes in those bins because they don't go to the needy to wear.

Apr '15

No, Botheredbyuu2....it was a recorded interview and they played it several times today. I thought that was strange as well...

joyful joyful
Apr '15

*Stands up* Hi, my name is Weebiekins and I have a vintage addiction. Please, please open soon Salvo ;) lol! Enjoy your weekend all!

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Apr '15

the article originally said anticipated opening was April 9 but the article was changed.

Let the hoarding begin.... or I should say continue!

Apr '15

sally - Hoarding?

Does the new article give an opening date?

Apr '15

There is no new article. It's all about changing the zoning and the red tape.

Went by today around 4pm (April 14th) Still not open , and not a car in the lot. I would figure they would at least have people setting up and getting ready for them to open.

Kaldria Kaldria
Apr '15

WOW Kaldria, are you a time traveler? ;)

Teenie
Apr '15

LOL.....4pm and its only 1130AM now. WOW! Just teasing. We all have typos.
The place is all set up inside. Has been for a few weeks now. I stopped by about 2-3 weeks ago to ask about applying for a job and they were in there setting up. It has been sitting like that ever since. Applied online, but never heard anything. Oh well!

Apr '15

I wish, But I read the thread when I was up working late and noted a possible "Helpful" tip.. Apologies for it not being helpful :)

Kaldria Kaldria
Apr '15

"I don't suggest putting clothes in those bins because they don't go to the needy to wear."

Neither do most of the clothes that you donate anywhere else. 90% of all donated clothes are sold in bulk to textile recyclers, who either grind them up and turn them into rags or export them to Africa. But, places like the Salvation Army at least put the profit from those transactions to use in charitable ways, unlike the owners of the ubiquitous large bins of varying colors who typically only donate a very small percentage of their profits to whatever charity's name is emblazoned on the side and put the other 95% or so in their pockets.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '15

+1 ianimal. I put them in the bin at Tri-county FD on RT 57. Was told from the source they go to help people overseas.

Apr '15

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. You shouldn't put them in ANY bins. If you do, a private company makes the lion's share of the initial profit on them. If you donate them to TSA, Lupus or Disabled Vets... then THEY are the ones who are making the initial profit from the bulk textiles and they put that money to good use.

Whether or not the end result of the portion of the clothes making their way to Africa ultimately helps or hurts their economy is the subject of debate. But they definitely aren't being sent there to HELP people; they are going because the people sending them there make a huge profit.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/truth-donated-clothes-end/story?id=2743456

ianimal ianimal
Apr '15

I hear ya ianimal, but the bin at Tri-County is not like the others. From THE source.
I trust them, but will definitely ask again.

Apr '15

What is written on the Tri-county bin? Any fine print?

Apr '15

I don't recall, but I asked the woman running the clothes drop that day and she said the clothes do get shipped overseas to help people. They actually wear the clothes. Now, maybe she was BS'ing me, but I doubt it. Will have to check out the bin closely.
She did say some of the other bins around town sell the clothes in bulk, shredded and no one gets use of the clothes. I told her I didn't want my stuff going that way and she assured me that the Tri-county bin doesn't operate that way.

Apr '15

when does the salvation army store open?

can we drop off donations now?

does anyone know if the American Legion takes donations of clothes, medical equipment for the vets? I called them but they never called back.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '15

That's good news I Love Salvation army store opening in Hackettstown N J I shop at the store in Dover N J and I would like to know where I can get a Job Application for the Hackettstown N J store

Mattie Garcia
Apr '15

Does anyone know if they are open and accepting donations yet? I have some household items to donate.

gm mom
Apr '15

Not open yet. Went by earlier today. Have no idea when they will open. No info out there.

Apr '15

Thanks botheredbyuu 2 . Looks like I'll be making a trip to Dover.

gm mom
Apr '15

Just spoke to a Salvation Army rep. They said it should be opened the first week of May, which means next week I presume? I'm not holding my breath.

fuji
Apr '15

What is the deal with this place? Now the grass around the store looks like a jungle. The land was kept up better when the store was empty!

fuji
May '15

Garbage in Garbage out

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
May '15

Lights were all on the other day and clothes are hanging. Have heard nothing about an opening. Outside is looking shabby.

May '15

Heard they are looking for a manager.

Magpie Magpie
May '15

Breaking News!
Mr. Greg Potter from the Salvation Army store stopped in the office.

Opening Day: June 3rd

Starting Monday (yes Monday), 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
they will be taking applications for 3 Full Time staff and up to 6 Part Time staff.

trekster3- trekster3-
May '15

YAY!! Cant wait to shop in there. BUT They need to mow their lawn!

teenie teenie
May '15

More news - they will be starting to accept donation on Monday as well!

May '15

Got a robo call yesterday announcing the grand opening on Wed. June 3rd at 9am.
Free donuts, hot dogs and prizes to be given away.

May '15

I got that call too. They must be calling everyone in Warren Co. That's going to smell quite funky......hot dogs, doughnuts and used goods. LMAO

Calico696 Calico696
May '15

FYI - Salvation Army Store is now open, with their Grand Opening on Weds.
Store phone: 908-269-8555
Store hours: 9:00 am - 7:00 pm Mon - Sat., Closed on Sunday
Donation information: Please go to the following link for information on how to donate.
http://satruck.org/donate-goods

Hope this is helpful!

Jun '15

Sorry Wendy but it is not open until this Wed, 6/3/15 at 9am. I was just there an hour ago.

Jun '15

Re: Salvation Army Store

Just saw this on Instagram.

team.mebradar team.mebradar
Jun '15

That's wrong. Its tomorrow June 3 at 9am.

Every Wednesday is 50% day for everyone.

Jun '15

Sorry bothered, when I spoke with the store, they said they were open - maybe still only until 4. Either way soon enough

trekster3- trekster3-
Jun '15

Sorry trekster3 but I stopped in yesterday and spoke with the manager and assistant manager and they are not open until tomorrow 9am, Grand Opening festivities.
People came while I was there, to shop and were turned away because they are not open until Wed. June 3.

Jun '15

Well I was clearly mis-informed then...

trekster3- trekster3-
Jun '15

LOL....trekster3- S*#t happens. ; )

Jun '15

BIG GRAND OPENING TODAY!! WEDNESDAY 6/3. 9AM ! Open 9-7

Happy Shopping, Lol!

Jun '15

Thanks for the reminder, botheredbyuu2...

joyful joyful
Jun '15

So, anyone go yet?

Jun '15

Yep. Was there when they cut the ribbon this morning. Very nice store compared to other Salvation Army stores I've been to. Clean, nice layout. Not as big of a store as I would have figured considering the size of the building. Mostly clothes/shoes, etc. But what they did have so far as furniture, electronics, and books went were all pretty nice compared to the selection at other family stores. For some reason there are about a dozen toaster ovens. Prices seemed reasonable; there was some really nice, antique bedroom furniture going for only $40-50. Seems like they're giving out free coffee and Dunkin' Donuts all day so definitely check it out today if you can.

fuji
Jun '15

figured you would have been camped out at 8:30 this morning

darwin darwin
Jun '15

If that's towards me darwin, some of us do work. Will get there during the week sometime. Hope to see you there. ; )

Jun '15

We stopped by this morning just to be nosey. Everything was in very neat order and appeared very clean. The personnel were very nice and helpful as well. Today is 1/2 price everything except those with a blue ticket and manager said they do this kind of special for different color tickets everyday. Giving out donuts and coffee and also making hotdogs as we left. If it keeps up with the cleanliness and nice people working there, I am sure they will be very successful... People can drop off donations starting today as well.

joyful joyful
Jun '15

yes it was towards you BBYU, since you have stopped by the store multiple times when it was closed. figured you would be their first customer :)

darwin darwin
Jun '15

BBY has been been there practically every day and now acts like she'll get there "sometime " !!!

Missrx Missrx
Jun '15

I walked over today on my lunch break. Looked really clean and organized inside. Didn't have time to browse too long so I zero-ed in on my favorite sections and headed out. I'll have to go back when I have more time to browse.

weebiekins weebiekins
Jun '15

We saw it was open and stopped by. Some stuff with stains but quite a bit of nice stuff too and decent prices and it was definitely very organized. I couldn't tell how much the books were? Also I wish they didn't staple the price tags on. They were so hard to take off and I accidentally got a hole in one of the clothes because of that.

melissa c melissa c
Jun '15

Good Point, melissa c....someone else told me that they bought some things there and got a hole in one of the items they bought trying to remove the tag...

joyful joyful
Jun '15

Does anyone know the hours for the store?

Betterhalf Betterhalf
Jun '15

Paperbacks are 50 cents, hardcovers are $1. Bought some there the other day

fuji
Jun '15

Cool thanks fuji!

melissa c melissa c
Jun '15

stapled tags on all fabrics and clothes!,,,,on them not ...holes on all uggh ...

sherri
Jun '15

Hours are 9 to 7 m-sat, closed sun.

Zenia Zenia
Jun '15

Just stopped in there this week. Well organized and neat, but a lot of the mens clothes I looked at had stains on them that were very obvious. Also they are organized by color not size which I realize some places do this, but it makes it harder to find things.

hopeful hopeful
Jun '15

They don't put the tags on at the store. Comes from the warehouse like that. I agree it's a bad way of doing it.

Jun '15

will they estimate the dollar value on donations for tax deductions?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

very hard to find things and the smell ......

sherri
Jun '15

I feel that the store is very organized and has no smelll.

Quarno Quarno
Jun '15

The CEO of The Red Cross makes more than $650k a year. UNICEF CEO, $1.2 million per year. The Bassetts ( husband and wife team), who run the Salvation Army, rake in a whopping $13k per year. I'm sure they get some living expenses as no one could survive on just 13k, while running one of the largest "help humans " organizations in the country. I give the Salvation Army two thumbs up! And my support!

Jun '15

I have been told the March of Dimes extracts .20 from every dollar for "operating expenses" ...and that was some years ago.

Steven Steven
Jun '15

when you bring in your donation,you fill out the paperwork. You can estimate or itemize, or not, up to you.

Annie
Jun '15

march of dimes only uses about 8 cents on the dollar for research of child diseases, the other 92 cents of every dollar goes to 'administration'

i stopped giving to them over 40 years ago. used to help organize the 20 mile walks and set up booths/kiosks at he county fairs for them, then i found out they hardly do any research.

it was a wake up call.

the salvation army is more honest in how they use their money and much more efficient. they have low overhead, and a long reach into actually helping folks who need help.

red cross, unicef and united way all have very high admin/operating costs, only a very small portion goes to 'helping' people who need it, they all help themselves first, then those in need can line up for the few pennies left over.

be very careful who you gift/donate to, and please consider supporting the salvation army.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

BD - You can use the Salvation Army value guide.

http://salvationarmysouth.org/valueguide-htm/

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '15

thx calico, keep up the good work,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

Does anyone know if they've got TVs for sale there?
I need a small tv for my basement, preferably a "tube" tv because the cabinet we have isn't wide enough for a flat screen.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jun '16

1988LJ, we were in there last week and they definitely had some of the older tv's. They were in the back of the store, which I very clean and organized nicely. Will definitely go back there.

Bessie Bessie
Jun '16

Thanks Bessie!

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jun '16

I have a tube tv and it's yours for free. PM me for details!

You have to pay people to get rid of them these days, so they often pop up in the classifieds as free.

Be careful with the stuffs you buy from them. Friend bought AC last summer and it work for 2 days and died. They wouldn't do anything for my friend. And they give money to hate.groups. Read about them. And they.have.crazy people working there.

WHOknows
Jun '16

Crazy people gotta work too

Booster90 Booster90
Jun '16

Sick of crazy people there. One woman loud and cursing at other worker. In front of shoppers. Crazy black hair. And sorry thought I was in America. Cursing in English and Spanish. Someone said she a volunteer. Get rid of her. Chasing people away

Whoknows
Aug '16

Call and voice your complaint vs. being complacent and posting here. Just comes across as another racist rant.

+1 irun

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '16

I went there to donate items. Women was rude. So my items will go elsewhere. Why bother complaining? They lose free donations and keep their rude people. Most often higher ups know who lacks in the social skills department.

Htownforlife@gmail.c Htownforlife@gmail.c
Aug '16

Donate to Trinity ~ Salvation Army is not a charity. It is an Evangelical Protestant church which uses donated money to actively oppose gay rights. They have threatened to close thousands of soup kitchens in NYC if forced to adhere to civil rights laws when dealing with gay employees.

They spend profits from donation sales to lobbying governments to prevent LGBT rights legislation.

Good to research before donating. Just my opinion.

Peaceful day ~

Man: can you back up your "facts" with an article? Cite your sources?

Hi iRun ~

It was posted by the Progressive Secular Humanist Examiner and it can be referenced both at charitywatch.com and charitynavigator.com.

MAN, I looked at charitywatch.com, and the page does not exist, other than it stating the domain is for sale. charitynavigator.com doesn't rate The Salvation Army, stating "It simply means that the organization doesn't meet our criteria. A lack of a rating does not indicate a positive or negative assessment by Charity Navigator." If you can link to the factual sources, that may be better.

We were helping at the shore during Sandy. The Salvation Army was there digging, feeding, comforting.Red cross was there too, but for over 2 hours they just parked in a prominently noticeable spot and did nothing. Were actually rude to some of the victims. It wasn't like there was no need. The lines for food and water were unbelieveable.They started unloading when media showed up, several hours later. Had always been a supporter. Never again.

Dansker Dansker
Aug '16

My thoughts exactly Rich. If you don't like the Organization or it's employees dentist donate elsewhere. Unfortunately, now a days you can find "facts "anywhere meaning someone's blog or opinion piece that just so happens to align with your views.

huffpost.com/us/entry/4422938

There's an article about it. It talks about whar man does and has links to sources.

Well then Well then
Aug '16

Crazy people (and Hispanics) need jobs too, and they need somewhere to shop. Not the Salvation Army's fault.

Also, +MAN, you can't possibly expect anyone to believe something written by the "Progressive Secular Humanist Examiner". LMAO. Everything in that title except "examiner" is a total joke.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '16

Thanks "Well then". This isn't the kind of information that is readily available.

It mattered to me, so I shared.

I didn't want to trigger the criticisms and petty comments that so often ensue here.

The link that "Well Then" posted doesn't lead anywhere, either - just a "404" page.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zinnia-jones/the-salvation-armys-histo_b_4422938.html sorry linked the mobile. First link down google lane but there are a lot others to pick from. Just google salvation army gay rights. I don't follow these things just got curious.

Well then Well then
Aug '16

I had to clear out a relatives house after a death, so I called for a pick up. I was told that if I didn't have at least 10 bags, they wouldn't pick up. I was a bit flustered at the time (understandably), so I called the War Vets and they were thrilled. When all was said and done I probably had 30 bags, but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

USAfirst USAfirst
Aug '16

Lieutenant Colonel Richard Love is anti-gay? That's an awfully ironic name for a homophobe, lol...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

Charity Watch and Charity navigator are non profit groups that rank all charities. I personally prefer navigator. But they are not commercial sites, they are non profit organizations. As such their websites do not end in .com but rather in .org

www.charitynavigator.org

www.charitywatch.org

Before you donate, make sure the group is legit. That being said Salvation Army is considered a religious organization and as such is not rated by Navigator. Watch has them listed but is ambiguous in the comments as far as I can tell.

Agust Agust
Aug '16

Ian

Best comment yet, especially considering the nickname for "Richard", put right before his last name - how ironic, or maybe that's what "drove" him to be that way. Too many peeps bullied him as a kid about his name and he rose to the occasion to take it out on part of the same group he was likely being made fun of for being in. I always wondered about a classmate I had in HS named "John Gay", but I did see that someone else with that surname actually got tired of the bullying he got and killed his father for passing that name onto him.

That said, I always had respect for the Salvation Army as a group who did the most and the only tangible reward they got was "free shoes" as the story went. However if they truly do support an anti-gay agenda, especially if it's a hateful agenda towards them, then those of opposite conscience should speak with their wallets or better yet write or petition those in charge to let them know that they oppose such policies and will refuse to support them in the future due to their un-Christianlike stance.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '16

the salvation army is not anti-gay. here are some quotes from an article in the gay publication "The Advocate", link is at the end:

At the invitation of The Advocate, a leader in the organization explained in detail its efforts to spread the word that it is not against lesbians, gays, bisexuals, or transgender people, nor is it funding anti-LGBT efforts with the money it collects from donations.

To bolster his argument that Salvos are not inherently out to disenfranchise LGBT people, Busroe points to the group’s websites. They show that the Salvation Army welcomes LGBT people to take full advantage of all its services,as well as encourages people from all walks of life to work for the organization and its 7,000+ branches, known as “corps.”

And make no mistake, it’s no mom-and-pop shop. The Salvation Army is the second-biggest charity in the United States — taking in $2.12 billion last year, according to Forbes — and it is also a church, founded in 1865 in London by former Methodist minister William Booth. Its members believe only in the “biblical” definition of marriage, “between a man and a woman,” according to its FAQ page.

The group’s mission statement, . .

“The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by love for God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and meet human needs in his name without discrimination.”

“The fact is,” Busroe declares, “it is our mission to serve without discrimination. No one will be turned away because they are a member of the LGBT community or because of racial discrimination. That is inconsistent with who we are.

“We serve 30 million people a year, providing lodging, meals, afternoon child care, drug and alcohol treatment. Our Christian faith is not a carrot, or else we wouldn’t have existed 150 years. We welcome Muslims, Buddhists, or people with no faith. If you come in with a hijab, it doesn’t impact our mission to help you pay the rent, pay your bills, buy toys for kids.”

The same philosophy, Busroe says, applies to LGBT individuals.

“This is who we are, but who we are does not prevent us from serving you,” says Busroe. And in his fourth year in this position as media and community representative for the U.S. branch of the London-based organization, Busroe says the Salvation Army has been “hammered in social media by misinformation, old stories, people misspeaking including internally. That’s the interesting thing, is that we are criticized on both the left and the right.”

Busroe also denies the organization was involved politically in Houston’s battle over an equal rights ordinance, which opponents successfully painted as allowing predatory men dressed as women into ladies' rooms, endangering children.

He says not one penny dropped in its kettles or in its accounts supports causes that are antigay, anti-trans, antibisexual, antilesbian, anti-intersex — or any identities or sexual orientations under the rainbow. “No, we do not fund anti-LGBT causes, not any more than we fund Planned Parenthood. I am bombarded with letters, saying, ‘I’m not going to support you because you fund Planned Parenthood.’ We’ve said to the people, it’s not true.”

So where does the money go? The group has a breakdown of its income and expenses on its FAQ page, dating back to 2011. CNN reports the Salvation Army typically spends 82 percent of all the donations it receives on aid, but budgets so it can direct 100 percent to relief efforts during a catastrophe or disaster.

On marriage equality, Busroe was crystal clear: “We have no position on rolling back marriage equality. And the Salvation Army is not lobbying to repeal marriage equality.”

The Salvo website puts it this way: “The Supreme Court ruling has no effect on the manner in which we serve 31 million people each and every year in every ZIP Code in the United States. Our policy of nondiscrimination has been in place for over 100 years, and we will continue to love and serve all who come to us in need.”

The real question, he says, is for the group to look at how does same-sex marriage impact the Salvos’s mission of helping people. “It’s a distraction, and we need to focus on who we are, and about helping people,” he says.

If marriage equality is repealed or the Supreme Court reverses its decision, what then?

“That’s not going to change our mission statement,” says Busroe. “If the law changes, we’re not going to go out there and become involved in lobbying” to make marriages between same-sex couples invalid.

http://www.advocate.com/religion/2015/12/23/salvation-army-insists-its-our-side-really

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '16

BrotherDog

Thanks for that link. I'd trust the word of the advocate before that of the other sources quoted. That said, it definitely bears watching to be sure that the stated "mission" is carried out as claimed, without regard to the race, religion, country of origin, sexuality, gender and/or gender identification. If a person in charge or in a high ranking capacity such as the Lt. Col. Ian mentioned does violate that mission statement, then they definitely need to be brought to task. However, if they are following that mission statement, then persons in the media with their own agendas shouldn't spread false information.

In any case, if the Lt.Col. IS a homophobe, then indeed Ian's comment is certainly ironic. If not true, then my apologies for also poking fun at his name. It would definitely be a relief to find that a group I'd always respected was on the up and up, rather than what the other "reporters" have stated.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.