Papa Johns coming to Washington (Warren)

Just in case you don't know it...
There is a Papa John's pizza coming to Washington.
it is on RT 31 where the Weight watcher was...

269 Rt 31 S.

it looks like they have a number already.. (908) 689-7272

Don't know when is the opening (Mid November says Google+)...Actually I don't know anything else.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Oct '14

Hahaha, I saw this a couple weeks ago. I thought it was pretty funny that a pizza place would be opening at a former Weight Watchers location.

Just what we need, a chain pizza place. Sigh.....

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Let the waists expand even more...

13 NOV is the opening day.

I wanted to take a picture of the Pizza banner on top of the WW sign...

I never had them (If I did I can't remember) But I look forward to their offers...Hope is good..

Oct '14

BEG - I've never had it either, but I can't imagine it being any different than going to Domino's or Pizza Hut.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

It's pretty much Domino's with sickeningly sweet sauce on it...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Some times I wonder if anyone dose market studies anymore. I seems like they just take a shot.

Old Gent Old Gent
Oct '14

well, I'll give it a try.... I always prefer pizzeria pizza...
I can eat most pizzas, except the $5 pizza I had in Texas.

Oct '14

Skip Papa Johns, travel south on Rt 31 to Desiderio's in the A&P shopping center at Asbury-Anderson Road. Great pizza made in a wood burning oven, nice crisp crust, and some interesting flavor combinations. Way better than any chain.

JerryG JerryG
Oct '14

I can't understand how anyone in the New York - New Jersey area would buy pizza at any of the national chains. You have some of the best pizza and don't even know it.

southerner
Oct '14

Its really good! Is it by Mack Chiropratic plaza?

gypsy
Oct '14

ugh PapaJohns is awful. i went to college in OH and sadly that was the best pizza option in town. You know pizza is bad when they give you dipping sauce to dunk your slice in.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

WHAT???? Dipping sauce??? I wish I never read this thread. LOL

Someone the other day was telling me the other day that I should try dipping my pizza in ranch dressing. Talk about a nasty thought. I have nothing against ranch dressing, but pizza should not require any salad dressing or dipping sauce to taste good.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

I agree Southerner. I eat very little Pizza but always go to a local joint when I do.

Old Gent Old Gent
Oct '14

WHAT???? Dipping sauce??? I wish I never read this thread. LOL

the first time i placed an order my roommates were yelling at me to make sure i get extra dipping sauce. i had no clue what they were talking about.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

Is it for dipping the pizza in or just the crust?

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Fully agree about Papa John's being awful. Yuck.

Also agree that Desiderio's is amazing. But we go for take out ever since the mob guys held them up while customers were eating there.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Oct '14

it's for the pizza. Garlic Butter dipping sauce. there is probably more calories in the small thing of sauce then there are in the whole pizza. Had a roommate go thru 3 tins of dipping sauce at a time. it was disgusting.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

Well, it's Ohio... they put chili on spaghetti out there, too (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Papa Johns is awful. I wouldn't buy it for my dogs!

I stick with the privately owned pizza places.

Christine Christine
Oct '14

I was just going to ask what state that was in darwin, but ianimal answered it for me.

Note to self: Do not eat pizza with people from Ohio. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

I will skip John's mostly because we live in NJ, land of the mom n pop great pizza. However..........

Poppa John himself is a political pundit of sorts hitting the pizza with his ObamaCare tax and throwing Romney fundraisers.. Apparently he is a better businessman than mathematician since his pizza price increase to cover Obamacare nets him a huge profit which he double books since he owns 25% of the stock, 25% of which he shields in a family "partnership" and a good chunk tax exempt in a 501C (charitable causes). Or is he? Even in Forbes which goes ballistic if you say Affordable Care (I mean they sound like Faux News when talking AHCA) said: http://www.forbes.com/sites/luisakroll/2012/11/08/timeshare-mogul-who-warned-of-layoffs-after-obama-win-says-michelle-obama-will-be-next-president-no-republican-will-hold-office-for-50-years/

He then spewed that he would be cutting hours and benefits when only 2,100 of his 14,400 are full time to begin with.

But John is a businessman so as the pizza turns, the stock falls, he popularity dips, so first he gave away 1 million pizzas during football.

By December of 2012, John said, in Huffington Post no less, "he plans to provide health care benefits to all of his corporate employees along with all employees working in his company owned stores." (forbes)

Papa John Schnatter himself owns 40,000 sq ft. house with his 22-car garage. A Papa John’s delivery driver earns $6-7 per hour, not including tips. Where he can get away with it, waitresses and truck drivers earn around $5 per hour with tips hopefully bringing them to minimum wage. He has been subpoenaed at least in NY for wage violations.

OK, so lots of places pay minimum wage and NY is probably crazy. From Inside Higher Ed, a little insight into what America used to be about versus going to the Johns: "In 1914, Henry Ford announced that he was doubling the wage of his assembly line workers to $5 per day. (About $116.00 in today’s dollars, or the equivalent of 18 hours delivering Papa John’s pizzas.) At the time, Ford was hailed for this “goodwill.” But as we know, Ford was not seeing charity cases, but his future customers who would need money in their pockets to buy his company’s goods."

Like I said, I choose our local pizza shops, they are superior and many treat employees like family (since often they are).

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Oct '14

Only Mr. G. could do 40,000 word, 12 paragraph post on Papa John's.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Ha when my college buddies came here for my wedding 2 of them went into NYC for authentic pizza. they ended up going to a Sbarro! dummies.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

Sheeeeeesh! Ok, I'm revising my original note to self.

Avoid people from Ohio. Just kidding JeffersonRepub.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Treating someone like family and providing them with healthcare are two different things. How many local places provide healthcare MG?

I can't see myself liking PJ from a culinary perspective and don't like what he did regarding healthcare benefits (it would have been a few cents increase per pizza to cover the ACA.) I'm not about to act like the mom and pops are the shangri-la of employee benefits though.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '14

only MG could could take a thread about crappy pizza and turn it political :)

darwin darwin
Oct '14

So true darwin. Sigh.....

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Back to pizza...Sbarro's isn't all that horrible for pizza...at least it looks like traditional pizza. If PJ's is your local pizza in Ohio, you probably think Sbarro's is authentic.

Personally, I prefer the really thin grandma pies these days...and I may be one of the few people who prefer the "reheated" slices at the pizzeria vs getting a freshly made one.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '14

Thumbs down for any big chain pizza. I'll take local every time. Some of us do know how good we have it, southerner.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '14

Sbarro's is close to real NY pizza i just thought it was funny they went all the way into NYC by train to try real NY pizza and got that. You can to to any street corner in NYC and find good pizza, these 2 dummies went to Times Square like the tourist they were and got Sbarro.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

now Calico we just need happygirl to tell use that Papa John's sauce has meat in it and someone to bring up guns and this thread is like all the others.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

"...and I may be one of the few people who prefer the "reheated" slices at the pizzeria vs getting a freshly made one."

I'm definitely on Team emaxxman on this one. Nothing better than a reheated Nicolosi slice.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Sbarro's? That place at the mall and highway rest stops? Their pizza is a lot closer to Dominos than it is to real NY pizza. American cheese and ketchup on cardboard... that's how we used to describe it, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Hey Meister - BTW, we got to try that meatball place in Morristown (that you mentioned) this past summer. Awesome! We got the meatballs (duh...) and one each of the coal and wood-fired pizza. A bit pricey but the food was very good. I'd go back there without hesitation.

http://milliesoldworld.com/

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '14

emaxx, Glad you liked it. Yes, a little bit pricey but worth it.

Isn't almost anything Italian re-heated better? I always love lasagna, pizza, baked ziti, chicken parm, etc. better the next day it seems. Gets that bit of dehydrated crispiness to the pasta or dough that just adds a different texture.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '14

Good point, MNJ... I agree.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

mistergoogle, sounds as though his model is the Clinton foundation!

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Oct '14

LOL darwin. Here you go, Papa John's + guns. ;-)

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/suspect-in-oklahoma-papa-johns-shooting-found-dead

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Will someone please keep a eye on MG if Republicans take control.I wouldn't want to see him to go off the deep end.

Old Gent Old Gent
Oct '14

Re: Papa Johns coming to Washington (Warren)

Like I'm not off the deep end already he said to himself sarcastically using more words than can be printed here.

Not sure what RVoter is thinking except targeting the word Clinton. Pretty sure he doesn't have a clue what the Foundation does, I know I don't. Sorta like kids snickering during sex ed class. "Clinton, teehee, teehee") And yes, I am expect to have a dark time come November, but the good news is it will probably dissipate November 2016 after two years of Republican shenanigans. Luckily the Tea Party went down in flames during the primaries and only has handful of viable contenders left so not all gloom n doom; I can take an upright conservative Republican willing to work towards a common goal. Tea Partiers are a losing cause......as the Republican primaries indicate.

But if it's guns in the Johns you want: "News 14 Carolina is reporting that a Papa John's pizza delivery person who was attacked and shot by a criminal last week in Charlotte, managed to return fire on his assailant. Yet the victim's actions are the ones being criticized by police, and are almost certain to lead to his being fired from his job at Papa John's. From the story: Police say carrying a gun might not be the best course of action for delivery drivers." Yes, he was fired by Poppa Johns.

Course here's a whole page of PJ-a-bullets flying. More than a Louisiana McDonalds.... We gots Oklahoma, Ohio, New Mexico, South Carolina, Arkansas, and Texas and that's only two pages worth: https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=poppa+johns+shooting&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GDIS_enUS565US565&q=poppa+johns+shooting&gs_l=hp...0i10l5.0.0.1.680769...........0.swJ0zyqHg88#q=papa+john's+shooting&start=10

Bottom line: we all need concealed carry and more guns if we want to participate!!!!!

Oct '14

If you buy Papa John's eat The box throwaway the pizza it taste better most generic frozen pizza is better than Papa John's Domino's and Pizza Hut. I'll stick with the mom-and-pop shops the log cabin probably has the best pizza around and the old doughboys place in Mount Bethel can't remember the name of it I think it starts with a T has got to have the best cheesesteaks I have ever eaten this side of the Mississippi

oldred
Oct '14

Exmaxxman: 100% to full time employees would be my estimate.

Oct '14

Don't get me wrong, I love mom and pop stores especially Desiderios, but Papa Johns is awesome compared to other fast food pizza places. I cannot wait for it to open, which its November 16th and it has yet to be open.

Hampton girl Hampton girl
Nov '14

I'm sorry papa johns is gross !

Missrx Missrx
Nov '14

I'll stick with Mama's.

LV Mom
Nov '14

"I'll stick with Mama's."

Same here.

Christl Christl
Nov '14

Which tastes better cardboard or styrofoam?

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Nov '14

LOL Pennningslandscaping!

That would depend on if the cardboard was bleached or unbleached.
:-)

Now don't worry yourself, Darwin ..... since you brought it up ..... there is no meat in the sauce.
In fact, the sauce isn't JUST vegetarian ----
it's VEGAN.!!!!!!
LOL

hapiest girl
Nov '14

YUCK YUCK YUCK! Support local family owned pizza shops...NOT commerically frozen dough franchises.

buffy buffy
Nov '14

Papa John's owner = hypocrite; pizza = disgusting; will spend my money locally - lots of better small bss pizzas in the area.

pmnsk pmnsk
Nov '14

Yum. Tomato concentrate and 'soy crush'. Just what I want in my pizza:

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/dominos-effect?page=7

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '14

Do I really want to know all this information. I never eat this, but it feeds the masses. Most of the food in my house came from my kitchen. Seems like most people eat out these days. I happen to be roasting a 7 lb chicken today. It will as fat free as I can make it and still taste good..Soup will follow it.

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '14

Sounds good Old Gent. We only eat out on the weekend for dinner. We do it more for a break from cooking than anything else. We eat home Monday through Friday.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

Same here Old Gent. I don't waste my money on crap food eating out . I cook quality food at home.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Nov '14

I think Papa John's is delicious. I also think that homemade food, and local restaurant food is too.

I get so annoyed people hating chain places just because they're chain places. Yes I realize most of them sacrifice quality for quantity, but if they were such "crap"... why are they still opening new restaurants then?

And if they didn't see potential in Hackettstown for money, why are they coming here?

More people than not will try/continue to eat their pizza.

checkonetwo checkonetwo
Nov '14

Re: Papa Johns coming to Washington (Warren)

They see potential in Hackettstown for money, and they are coming here because morons that have no clue about good food keep buying their crap!!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Nov '14

"Yes I realize most of them sacrifice quality for quantity, but if they were such "crap"... why are they still opening new restaurants then?"

Because a large majority of people are cheap (or broke), lazy and clueless about food.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

Uh oh, you been grubered.......

Nov '14

Again, I like homemade food, I like local restaurant food, but sometimes I like fast food just as much, like Papa John's. My favorite local pizza place is Dino's. But I'd rather have Dominos, Pizza Hut over most other pizza places in the area that I've tried a few times each.

To each their own, but wow.

checkonetwo checkonetwo
Nov '14

I have never been there so I looking forward to trying it out.

2 cents
Nov '14

Good. We need more Catholic Schools around here.

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Nov '14

Can't that area bring in any unique business? They don't need another chain pizza joint. There's plenty of quality family-owned places close by that get the job done (and well). I'd love to see that Main Street (57) built up more and for people to stop opening thrift store after thrift store. If they keep this up the place will turn into a ghost town.

So i wanted to try it....
First order went well, BUT it was very expensive....it was more than Dominos and more than any local shops.

It had the vegtables all on one side... I didn't complain.. just ate it

So I odered again, a veggie pizza No Mushrooms No Olives.... I got a pizza WITH Mushrooms, With Olives and NO Tomato, No Peppers, No Onions, No jalapenos...So I called them since the order was backwards, they made me a new one... This time it came with ONLY Jalapenos....I called the manager again to explain the issue, got a coupon for a free pizza. but C'mon man! Can you pur the right toppings on...
So we ordered from Dominos, and it was very accurate, even with light sauce...

Pizza was ok, but not superior to other places. I still prefer local shops for regular pizza.

Dec '14

Can't say we didn't warn you Buddy! ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

I know I know...I had to give it a chance...

Dec '14

Can't even chalk that up to being new in town. That's just bad. I'm sorry you had that experience. I don't see it getting better with time either sorry to say.

Aside from a handful of roadside billboard promotions along Route 31 about buying 1 pizza and getting the second at half off are they running any other types of deals? I searched and can't find anything which is very odd for a new business looking to make a name for themselves..... in an extremely crowded market no less!!!. All of the corporate promo codes below it seems do not work for the Washington location:

http://pizzacodes.com/papajohns/coupons

I will NEVER pay full price for chain pizza!

How is Papa John's different from a "mom and pop" store. There is a single owner who has to buy all the ingredients to make a pizza just like a mom and pop. The owner is a small business person that hires local people and supports the local police and schools. All employees are paid more than minimum wage and drivers average more than $10/hour...Papa John's grows their own tomatoes and makes their sauce when they harvest the tomatoes...Hmmm mom and pop goes to the local restaurant supply and buys some brand of tomato sauce and seasons it. Papa John's makes fresh dough that is NEVER frozen and it is under quality control guidelines...Mom and pop mixes and makes their dough...what are their quality standards? Papa John's has agreements to buy mushrooms and olives from specific suppliers that meet quality standards,,,Mom and pop??? whatever is at the supermarket. Papa John's has NO freezers in their stores because nothing is ever frozen. Papa John's slices their vegetables daily and date marks all their products to ensure freshness. When something is beyond its time, it gets thrown out...

So..it is a small business just like any mom and pop that helps support the community and has strict quality standards...

papalover papalover
Jan '15

Papa John's was robbed early yesterday morning.

From the Washington Twp. Police FB page:

On 7-25-15, at approximately 1244am there was an armed robbery at the Papa John’s Pizza store located at 269 Route 31 South. A male entered the business and robbed them of an undisclosed amount of cash. He was described as a white male approximately 6’ tall with a medium build wearing a black hoodie, gray baseball hat, black bandanna over his face and gray long pants (possibly sweat pants). Anyone with any information is urged to call the Washington Township Police Department at (908) 689-1630 during business hours or (908) 689-1111 after business hours.

Please share this on your page to help spread the word.

https://www.facebook.com/WTPDNEWS/posts/10153570904695159?fref=nf

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

And yet he did not even take a slice to go.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '15

Robbery is wrong. No doubt. But a pizza place in Washington does not need to be open at midnight. Why no security camera pictures?? Begging for trouble.

"And yet he did not even take a slice to go."

Why would he? The pizza is awful. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

Sounds like the subject was pretty well concealed between the hoodie, baseball cap and bandanna over his face. Security camera footage, if any, probably won't help much in this case because of that. I wonder if he fled on foot or if there was a vehicle involved?

Reminds me of some other armed robberies in the area from a year ago or more (Exxon on Rt 57, Hess on Rt 31). To the best of my knowledge those incidents remain unsolved.

I just read online that papa johns closed down permanently. That's crazy they haven't even been open for a year!

Melissa Melissa
Sep '15

Sorry it did. I have never eaten their pizza.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Sep '15

Not a very friendly place to operate. What is this (Washington) Newark?

Wow, so being open at midnight was ASKING for it? Way to blame the victim, maja. SMH...

Some people are grateful for places open later than 9pm. I guess no one better try to accommodate them

Lori....since '73
Sep '15

Papa John's pizza is about the worst, next to Domino's!!

Actually never had the Pizza, the Indians at work seem to like it but that is not saying much...

Omg! I can't believe they closed :( . Loved their pizza! Nice people, too! Best part was they were open late, all the other local pizza places close around 10, & Dominos is eh. No wonder I couldn't find them when I tried ordering tonight online. I hope they come back!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.