Pajama Program for Local Children

Hi everyone, long time lurker first time poster here. I recently became aware of the Pajama Program. It is simply a program that distributes new pajamas and new books to area children in need. I am fortunate to have a loving family, a job that provides for essentials in life with a little left over for the fun stuff, a roof over our heads and a warm bed at night. I am grateful and know that we are blessed. The month of October, I will be collecting new books and pajamas for this cause. I ask you all to donate if you can and pass this along to your friends and family. I will pick up any contributions, big or small and if you have any ideas and want to partner up on this endeavor, the more the merrier! It sounds cliche' but together I think we can make one heckof an impact. All sizes welcome. If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to PM me. Thank you all for at least reading this if nothing else.

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Bump! Come on guys! Would it help if I said I love all of your fur-babies and real babies? :) Anyone interested can look it up at pajamaprogram.org. Thanks you guys!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Hi Tara. Great organization. Im donating. Anyone else?

Jackie Jackie
Oct '14

TaraL I don't see where the NJ chapter of this program has any events on their website. How exactly is this going to work? We would send the PJ's to you, or to the drop off sites listed on the website and they will distribute to those in need?

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

I just had the pleasure of meeting Jackie! Thank you so much Jackie for the generous donation. JrzyGirl, I am taking it upon myself to do this collection. I live in Stanhope but work here in town so I will work my lunch around "Pajama Pick-Ups". I learned about the Pajama Program and thought it was a great cause so I got in touch with the NJ Chapter president Denise Violand and she told me to go for it. They are a non-profit so basically it's me and word of mouth. I love how HL'ers ban together for good causes and thought this may be a good avenue. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any other questions. Thanks guys!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Tara ~ it does sound like a good cause. And I know personally how on some chilly nights I love coming home and jumping into my cozy PJ's so I hate the thought that some little kids out there don't have any of their own. I will pick some up over the weekend and will be in touch on how to get them to you.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

Thank you JrzyGirl! The only way I'm going to get this thing off the ground is through the kindness of others. I figure if everyone I reach out to donates even one pair, I should be able to turn in quite a lot. I have to be honest, I was hoping for a better response from the HL crew. I know everyone gets leary, but I promise the intention is solely to make sure the kids get some jammies. :)

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Hi Tara, I think you are doing a great thing. I too will do a little shopping for some snuggly PJs and will get back in touch with you once I do.

BrandyB BrandyB
Oct '14

Awesome Brandy, thank you so much!!!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Tara I am willing to donate some also. What sizes are they the shortest on? When is the deadline for you? There are so many kids that need books let alone pajamas I would love to donate both. Can the books be used in great condition?

Christine Christine
Oct '14

Hi Christine...that's incredible! They are in need of all sizes, all sexes. They asked for all items to be new. Let me know if you need me to swing by and pick them up, I'd love to see you both.

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Bump again :)

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

I'm donating. I need to know what is the cut off sizes?? In other words is this for 3,4,5,6 etc children only? Does it include infants, pre teens & teens?

auntiel auntiel
Oct '14

Great Tara......going shopping this weekend and bringing Mom she will probably donate also. Will let ya know when its ready.

Christine Christine
Oct '14

Tara ~ just wondering if you have a place where we can drop off the donations? Leave this area early in the AM, before most are even awake and usually don't get home until 5ish. Live in PV, can always leave on my porch for you to pick up but didn't know if that was out of the way for you.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

Thanks you everyone! Auntiel, they need all sizes and sexes, from the little guys up to the teenagers. JrzyGirl, I'm in the area all day, every weekday. I work on Willow Grove so if you want to PM me we could either meet up on my way out of town or I could come to PV on my lunch and do a porch pick up. LMK. Thanks again everyone.

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Tara, I also live in PV as well , maybe we can coordinate a double porch pick up? I wlll go shopping within the next few days and will let you know when I am ready.

Thanks for doing such a great service

BrandyB BrandyB
Oct '14

Excellent Brandy, lmk when you are ready and I'll swing by! Thank you again for contributing. Like I said in a previous post and to the few people who already donated, it's harder than I anticipated getting this off the ground so I'm grateful to everyone that is responding.

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Tara I have my bag of PJ's all ready for you. Let me know when would be good for you to pick up. Hard to imagine that there are little one's in our area that don't have a warm pair of PJ's for the winter. Hope you get lots of support, it really is a good thing you are doing.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

Thanks JrzyGirl! I'll PM you to get together for pick up. The thought of little kids with no jammies breaks my heart. I figure even the smallest dent we can make will give these kids something that we all take for granted.

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Tara I have a couple of pairs of PJ's for older girls. They are ready for pickup. Just let me know when.

Christine Christine
Oct '14

Great Christine!! I can stop by whenever is convenient for you! Just PM me and I'll run by on my lunch. Thank you again!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Tara I'll pick some up either friday or over the weekend --- I'm also in PV -- will let you know when I have them.

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

That's great 5catmom, thank you so very much. It looks like I'll be in PV at least one time next week so whenever is convenient for you I can come by. I can't begin to tell you how appreciative I am, just let me know when you're ready and I'll be there.

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

is there any obvious sex or size missing so far? and did you also ask for books??

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

Oh WOW I forgot the books......back to the store. I bought pj's for teens what are books they are reading now? Any ideas?

Christine Christine
Oct '14

Hello ladies, sorry I didn't get back to you last night. 5catmom I haven't really received a lot of older boys jammies so if you're so inclined that would be great. Honestly when I spoke with the NJ Chapter president of the PajamaProgram she said they would be happy to recieve anything, so whatever is convenient and cost effective for you will be fine. Christine, teen girl books are off my radar. (you know my house is testosterone laden, lol) I bet your DD would have a good suggestion and if not anything you pick will be fine, I'm sure of it. Thank you all again, I look forward to hearing from you soon!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

can you define older boys - or sizes? being kidless I have no clue

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

LOL 5catmom I completely understand. "Big Boys" (as opposed to Toddler Boys) clothing runs sizes 8-20 (age appropriate for 8 y/o through preteen). Thank you again and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions.

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

TaraL - is it too late to do the PJ thing?

HoneyBooBoo HoneyBooBoo
Oct '14

Absolutely not, HoneyBooBoo. I'm collecting all month long! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Any one else care to jump in, I'll be happy to pick up. No donation is too small!!! Thanks everyone, it's much appreciated!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Ok with a mixture of winter/summer PJ's? My family are hunters and we have new (tags on) camo PJ's - want to be sure that's ok - some people freak out.... Also have Bear and Bever which are so cute! - LMK TaraL

HoneyBooBoo HoneyBooBoo
Oct '14

HoneyBooBoo, whatever you can give is just fine! LMK when you're available and we can set up a p/u. Thanks again!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Great - I'll collect up all the PJ's tonight/tomorrow - I'm in Htown - perhaps we can meet for lunch and chat too....??? LMK TaraL

HoneyBooBoo HoneyBooBoo
Oct '14

Sounds great HoneyBooBoo...PM me and we'll get together.

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Tara I am off the the last week in October, and will run out and get some pj's for this cause. I will e-mail you as soon as I do. This is a great cause.

Thank you LAS! Everyone that has responded so far, thank you as well. Whenever you get them, let me know and I'll come do a pick up. I can't wait to see how many we wind up with!!!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

TaraL - i PM'ed you but i think I messed that up - did you get the PM?

HoneyBooBoo07840 HoneyBooBoo07840
Oct '14

going shopping today - am in pv - let me know when you'll be around here or I can leave a bag on my front door stop if I'm not in ---

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

I just read a lot about this program and it is a great program. Specialty stores are now making pajamas that go with books, such as "Goodnight Moon" with pajamas that match it. These are gift items but not necessary for this project. I was able to get 2 pr of pajamas and 2 books for about $28. I made my donation for a teenage girl so it was a little more then a smaller child.

I ask all my friends on HL to help Tara with this project. I was in Walmart and a pr of pajamas are under $10 and you can get a Golden Book cheap. If you cannot help how about just donating $10, $5 or anything you can and Tara or I will do the shopping. If I am able to help anyone can help. PLEASE!!

Christine Christine
Oct '14

I'm trying but can't get a hold of TaraL

Oct '14

HoneyBooBoo check your Spam folder - I emailed you back.

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Sorry TaraL - I got your message - you were right! Spam is not my friend - I PM'ed you back - yay~

Oct '14

OMG Christine, thank you so much!!! That was positively wonderful! I have been actively bumping this and being happy with the onesy twosie responses because I don't want to upset the delicate balance that is HL, lol. Everyone that I have met so far has been incredible and very generous. Christine is right. This is a very good cause that gives children that don't have a stable and secure home life (most times no home at all) a sense of security.

Pajama Program provides new pajamas and new books to children in need, many of whom are waiting and hoping to be adopted. These children live in various situations including group homes, shelters and temporary housing facilities and are shuffled often from one place to another. Many of them have been abandoned, abused or neglected. Most of these children have never enjoyed the simple comfort of having a mother or father tuck them in at bedtime with warm, clean pajamas and a bedtime story. Some of the children are living with their families below the poverty level, in desperate need of food, clothing and shelter.

Sorry for being so long winded everyone, but honestly these are going to help local children in need. Thank you for your time and generosity!!!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

TaraL - 30 minutes for lunch is, like slave labor - i get 1 hour at the hospital

Oct '14

Tara, what's your cut off date. Will get something over the weekend and contact you

Bessie Bessie
Oct '14

Bessie the3 whole month of Oct. I just got an email from her and she is chained to her desk! I am sure she will get back to you. Thanks my friend,

Christine Christine
Oct '14

Bessie just PM'd you! Thanks for the heads up Chrisitine, today is nuts over here.

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Bump...hey everyone, just an update. Looks like I'll being doing p/u's next week in PV, Christine's house & @ Willow Café. LMK if anyone else wants to jump in on those p/u's. Thanks to everyone that is pitching in, can't wait to see our grand total of jammies collected!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

should we remove tags?? wrap or anything else??

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

Nope 5catmom they want tags on, unwrapped. :)

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Tara, I am away this entire week on a work trip. I do plan to go shopping when I get home and will be ready to give the PJs to you sometime next week. I will PM you when I am ready. Hate to have you make two trips to PV, perhaps I can plan to meet you somewhere in Hackettstown.

Have a good week!

BrandyB BrandyB
Oct '14

No worries BrandyB, whenever you're ready let me know!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Thanks Tara

BrandyB BrandyB
Oct '14

just say when

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

Tara I can get together with 5Cat so you can just make one pickup, I know your lunch hour is hectic.Let us know when.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

Great 5catmom & JrzyGirl! Let's say Thursday? PM me who's house you want me to come to and I'll be there around 1 or so. BrandiB I'll grab yours sometime next week and MissRX & Christine, we'll get together before week-end as well. Thanks again, you guys are fantastic!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

I just had the pleasure of meeting TaraL. I love that she is doing this collection.
I'm bumping this up so more of you can have the pleasure of giving to children who are in need - as well as the pleasure of meeting Tara.

Tara thanks so much for organizing this and doing all the legwork.

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

Awww, thanks for the kind words, 5catmom. It was wonderful meeting you and "the kids". Hopefully the next time we'll have more time to chat. A special thank you to 5catmom and JrzyGirl88 for stepping up and donating. It's much appreciated. Now that it's getting colder, then needs is as great as ever. Doing a pick up tomorrow at the Walmart if anyone else is interested.

Thanks again everyone!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

bumpety bump - only 8 days left in October when this collection appears to end

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

Glad to help TaraL !!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

Just had the pleasure of meeting another incredible HL'er. MissRX, thank you so much for your kindness and generosity. I appreciate you taking time out of your busy day to meet with me! Come on everyone else, you have a week left to donate some jammies to some kids in desperate need. Make me run my butt off on my lunch, I don't mind, it's for a good cause!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Awww thanks Tara ! And I'm glad I could help. Everyone please help Tara ! If you can spend your day fighting on HL you can go buy a pair of pjs !!

Missrx Missrx
Oct '14

can I paypal a donation to someone?

skippy skippy
Oct '14

Skippy you are one awesome dude! Any monetary donations have to be check or money order made out to the Pajama Program, NJ Chapter in the memo field. PM me if you want any other details.

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Bump!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Tara , I flew home today from my week long trip and will shop over the week. I will be ready to hand over the goods next week. Now that you have gotten more , any further requests on specific sizes?

Thanks for doing such a great service

BrandyB BrandyB
Oct '14

3 cheers for some from PV stepping it up!!!

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

Thanks BrandyB..the PV contention weighing in again, I love it! Honestly anything you want to pick up is fantastic. If you want to help "even it out", I have received more for boys than girls. Let me know when your ready and I'll be by to do the pick up. Thank you again to all of you that have donated so far. You are ACES!!!!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Glad to see more are donating

Jackie Jackie
Oct '14

:) Jackie..my original donor! You got the ball rolling! If we post, they will come (I hope)

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

They definitely are coming. Thats great

Jackie Jackie
Oct '14

Tara - maybe it's time to remind everyone of who these pjs are for

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

Great idea 5catmom! Everyone, Pajama Program provides new pajamas and new books to children in need. These children live in various situations including group homes, shelters and temporary housing facilities and are shuffled often from one place to another. Many of them have been abandoned, abused or neglected. Most of these children have never enjoyed the simple comfort of having a mother or father tuck them in at bedtime with warm, clean pajamas and a bedtime story. Some of the children are living with their families below the poverty level, in desperate need of food, clothing and shelter.
These PJ's are being picked up by me and donated LOCALLY to area children. Come on everyone, please donate!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Re: Pajama Program for Local Children

I am in - lets show the pajamanauts what we hackettstowners can do when we get motivated!

skippy skippy
Oct '14

All I can say is: Skippy, you ROCK!!! Class all the way. So where am I going to have to do a pick up on Monday? Anyone ready for a Pajama pick up? :)

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Bump ~ Good Morning everyone, Happy Sunday! A great day to pick up some PJ's during your errands or after family fun time. Thank you in advance! :)

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

I just emailed several neighbors - will let you know if any can donate

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

Thanks 5catmom, you're wonderful!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Hi Tara, we are all set for a pick up . I will PM you.

BrandyB BrandyB
Oct '14

Great BrandyB, thank you! PMing you back. Anyone else ready for a PV pick up?

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

I can get some PJ's and some books. Let me know where I can drop off. Thanks!

Birdie Birdie
Oct '14

Hi Birdie, thanks!!! I'm in town for work every week day so let me know what time and place is convenient for you and I'll come pick them up. PM me when your ready and we'll work out the logistics. Thanks again everyone!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

I just had the opportunity to meet Tara and she is a wonderful person! So smiley and friendly and doing a great service for the children. I encourage everyone to support this cause. Even if you pick up a few pairs of PJs while you are shopping for yourself or your family.

BrandyB BrandyB
Oct '14

Just had the pleasure of meeting the incredibly generous BrandyB! Deliver on the goods you most certainly did, lol. Thank you so much to everyone who has donated so far, you are all A #1. We've got the rest of the week to collect, anyone else care to get on board?

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

A special thanks and shout out to 5catmom!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for recruiting your friends and neighbors, you are all incredible! Anyone else ready for a PV or H-town proper pick up?

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Tara..I have some jammies for you. Please message me regarding pick up or delivery. Clyde can drop them off to you during the day if you're local.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '14

Hi Everyone! Just had the pleasure of meeting the one and only Clyde! A special thanks to him and Bessie for going out of their way to get on board with this. Thank you so very much!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Thanks to 5catmom for getting her friends and neighbors involved! Anyone else?

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Tara - you get the award for heartfelt rabble-rousing for children. You are amazing - I wonder what the next campaign will be...............

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

LOL 5catmom...I just think it's a great cause and it's something that is relatively cheap and easy to donate. I love my dog, I love my cat (sorry 5 is not in the cards, lol) but I seriously can't imagine what it would be like if I could not put a pair of pj's on my kid's back. Stepping off soap box now, good night! :)

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

Just recieved my donation from Skippy! 3 cheers for Skippy, keeping local kiddies warm from 500 miles away. A million thanks Skippy, you're a great guy!

TaraL TaraL
Oct '14

so do you have an idea how many sets of pjs you collected?

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

Good question 5catmom! Waiting to tally the collection box at my child's daycare and to pick up a few stragglers here and there. Conservatively I'd say we're probably at a good 150 pairs. Kudos to you, JrzyGrl88, BrandiB and the rest of the PV crew for representing HUGE! Christine, I promise to get up with you this week whenever you're available. Birdie & LAS let me know if/when you're ready for pick up. Thanks to all of you who made this drive a success, I couldn't have done it without you!

TaraL TaraL
Nov '14

so what's our next project?

5catmom 5catmom
Nov '14

So glad it is was a success ! My husband and I had lots of fun shopping.

Tara, thanks for being so dedicated to our local children!

+1 5catmom, I am in for our next project !

BrandyB BrandyB
Nov '14

Awesome, Ladies!!! I know everyone that has donated so far has expressed interest in keeping the giving going in one way or another. I was thinking either a toy drive (once again local kids) or care packages for our troops.(or both but we'd have to do one a month, my house isn't that big, lol). If anyone has any other ideas shout out and we'll take a vote. I'm all for it, like I said when I started this, I can't stand the thought of our kids doing without. As far as our troops go, it's a small price to pay for people that are protecting our freedom to come on here and fight with each other. (or run drives) :) Let me know, ladies!

TaraL TaraL
Nov '14

the PBA in town does a big toy drive - Sgt. Darren Tynan hpd34@hackettstownpd.net
if you want to help out

skippy skippy
Nov '14

I would also do the PBA local. Great program and they can always use the help.

Christine Christine
Nov '14

Great idea you two! I will get in touch and Christine, pm me as to when it's convenient for me to stop by this week and I'll be there!

TaraL TaraL
Nov '14

Third vote for the local PBA...They do a fantastic job for the kids in our community at Christmas and as others said...can always use a few extra pairs of hands to make the event even better...

joyful joyful
Nov '14

Tara I just sent you a pm

LAS you have mail :)

TaraL TaraL
Nov '14

Just met the lovely Rebecka! Thank you Rebecka for your donation, I truly appreciate your kindness and it was very nice to meet you finally. Thank you again to everyone else as well. I'm wrapping up the drive at the end of this week so let me know if anyone has any other pick ups. Make me run!

TaraL TaraL
Nov '14

Bump - getting ready to wrap this up...anyone else want to donate please pm me. Thanks again everyone!

TaraL TaraL
Nov '14

Tara ~ You did such a great job with this!! Thank you for organizing and putting in so much effort for this good cause..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Nov '14

Awww Thanks JrzyGirl, you guys are the best and you made it easy for me to do. Finalizing the counts this week and then the big drop off. This was a great experience and I can't wait to bug you all about the next "giving project". Also if anyone has any other ideas, please don't hesitate to contact me. (Joyful and Skippy, PBA toy drive is a great idea!) Thanks again everyone!

TaraL TaraL
Nov '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.