Beware....another banking phone scam

I was our for an early evening walk when my cell phone had a text alert. The text claimed to be from Wells Fargo..phone number that came up was 908-818-1530...its stated" Urgent Notification". I called the number and the message said my account was on hold ..and then asked for my account # and for me to verify my ID with last 4 digits of SS....Me being me-I punched on all zeros and waited to speak to someone...it kept asking for my information....I kept punching in all 1 and 0's, never got to speak to anyone. I hung up and after getting back home I contacted Wells Fargo at their 800#...they said it was not them-no alerts were on account. They felt it was similar to another scam that was going around months ago.
On the positive, I did burn a few extra calories rushing back home so I could call the 800 number.

Diana G Diana G
Oct '14

If I don't know a number I don't even bother calling it back.

Even when I get calls from a legitimate bank number (Scottrade is always trying to call me) I don't even answer it.

If there's a problem with the account they'll leave a voicemail with a legitimate callback number or send a letter.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

I also got the Wells Fargo call this evening on my cell....I didn't call back....

bowie bowie
Oct '14

I either skip 800 calls with nomorobot or ignore the ones who get through-yes they will leave a message if they really need to get me--have also gotten texts from banks - (that I have no connection with) - usually report those

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

It's always a good idea to warn others about a potential scam.... thanks!

Can't help but wonder though why anyone would just give out that information so readily?
If I receive a text asking for my account & ss# I would not just start punching away at the numbers...a little common sense goes a long way.

Call I've gotten over the last two weeks is a phishing scam. They call claiming to be the IRS from caller ID that says they are from Washington DC. They leave a 202 area code number to call back "or action will be taken, do not ignore this call". I looked up the IRS number and it's an 800 number and for NJ it's located in a Philadelphia office. I called the real number and they say this has been going on for a year or more. They switched me to US Treas agents that wanted the details are trying to go after these people.

Watch out. IRS doesn't make calls, they notify you in writing.

don't know if this belongs here or on Friday Funnies..........but I'm here now so
Hilarious comeback for an unwanted text

http://www.quickmeme.com/news/?p=4764

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

I received a call from an " unknown name-unknown number", saying my loan for $10,000 was approved. When I started to ask questions, he hung up. I'm sure my SS# would have been asked for. It's really getting scary!!

Tanya Tanya
Oct '14

Always-Always check an independent source first.

gypsyinthecastle gypsyinthecastle
Oct '14

5cat - That's hysterical!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

That's pretty funny. I keep getting scam calls at my desk at worth about medical compensation. I tell them I don't need any medical compensation, I'm healthy as a horse. That usually shuts them up.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '14

I just got scammed by this exact number today 908-818-1530! I also received a text message saying that my debit card had been put on hold due to a security issue and my bank, (Not WellsFargo), needed my SSN# to remove the hold. SMH

Got the same msg different banking institution .

Scam Scam.... trying to get SS# ETC

JOHN J
Oct '14

I got the same text from 908 818 1530 as well. Unreal.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '14

Got a call and caller ID said "Important Call". Lol

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '14

you all may want to use this link: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0350-text-message-spam

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

I just got a text from this number and I don't even HAVE a Wells Fargo Account LOL!!

Ross B Ross B
Oct '14

Thank you for posting this. I also got this text message "(WellsFargo-UrgentNotification-Call: (908) 818-1530)". I tried calling the fraud reporting dept at Wells Fargo but it was a real hassle getting through. I finally hung up. Reverse phone search indicated it came from a Voip number in Belvidere, NJ. I do not have a Wells Fargo Account. Also note that the text message came from 57090312@rr.com

Karen Karen
Oct '14

I too received the above text message on 10/3 from Wells Fargo, and another one today from "Wells Fargo" saying "(WellsFargo-ImportantAccntMessage.Call: 903-304-0047)." Both times the text comes from a random short number @rr.com. Obviously, not them...hopefully most people are smart enough to see the red flag!

LuvMyRescue LuvMyRescue
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.