Crash at exit 19

Must have been a bad one. The life flight helicopter was on the panther valley golf course. Maybe now they'll turn the traffic light on.

LJRubi LJRubi
Sep '14

Have to head out that way later. Hope things are clear. I do wish that the lights will be turned on soon too.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Sep '14

They have been on several times.Then they are covered. Whats up with that ?

jerseycash5
Sep '14

I agree. Turn in the darned light. Maybe they were waiting for one more accident. Hope all ok.

yes turn it on - what's the problem? my friend has seen it working at least 2 times - so why not all the time - heard they are installing some sensors on 80 so when traffic backs to a certain point, light will be adjusted accordingly ---but for now TURN IT ON

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '14

I'll say it again, it wouldn't be so bad if they had waited until the light was working to paint the lines...

Brendan Brendan
Sep '14

I was stuck in the traffic coming off route 80 in the lane to make the left. It was bad enough just slamming on the brakes coming around the ramp as it's a blind turn really. As the left lane begun to build up traffic and not move an inch, I moved into the right lane to go all around taking 613 out to Route 46.

The traffic was backed up tremendously in every direction going towards the accident. I didn't see much other than a white car completely mangled with the entire side missing almost and the door off on to the grass. The green sign that tells you which way to go for which town was tilted on an angle from impact. I couldn't make out much of what happened because there was a lot of police cars, ambulance, and personnel blocking view. I saw one guy on a stretcher as I was driving by that looked conscious. Not sure about the others involved or the other car.

MikeB MikeB
Sep '14

Agreed, painting the lines before turning the lights on was a huge mistake. I have to remind myself to get in the right lane coming down 517 since they made the left lane a left-turn only.

Fuji
Sep '14

Before it was marked out as two lanes any cars turning left coming down the hill would slow down and force those behind them to slow as well, assuming they signaled this allowed cars turning left from 80 to make the turn.

Now, those cars coming down the hill have no obstacles to slow them down, and they pick up sped since they are going downhill. This is forcing people who have been waiting longer in a longer line to make more daring moves when making the left. The added speed going downhill has made any colision that much worse...

I have no idea why they painted the lines first, but I can't think of a single reason why they would...

Brendan Brendan
Sep '14

Just curious as to whether anyone knows the details of the accident. Hoping everyone is OK, despite the helicopter-, a serious accident indicator on scene. I perused nj.com and expresstimes.com for coverage but nada.

They just blacked out the white stop lines on 517 north and south at the new light. Turning lanes are still there though.

John C John C
Sep '14

Only thing I saw was this little blurb:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2014/09/helicopter_responding_to_warre.html

@ess: I know one of the first responders that was at the crash. Apparently a car pulled out from the exit ramp onto Rt517 and got t-boned by a pickup truck that was pulling a trailer with a car on the back. The driver of the car had to be cut from the car and had very serious leg injuries (compund fracture) but I don't think his injuries were life threatening.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Sep '14

Thanks Farmer Jake. That sounds nasty but I'm glad there were no fatalities. Now about those plastic bags still on those traffic lights!

It was a friend of mine who was injured in the crash. He has a compound leg fracture and other injuries. He is still in Morristown Hospital as of Wednesday. He is lucky he was not killed.

I emailed Allamuchy mayor about turning on the traffic lights. No response as of today. Also called Assemblyman Space's office. His staff person said lights are not on yet because they are waiting for a part for the cameras that will regulate the timing of the lights.

Those lights have been there for months. Light a fire under someone to get them turned on before someone gets killed!!!

attsully attsully
Oct '14

Certainly it doesn't take that long for the part to get here from China.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Oct '14

What ever happened to waiting for the road to be clear before you pulled out? People to lazy to look both ways/ judge speed of other vehicles/ or know they have enough time to safely make the turn and accelerate to match the speed of traffic? We really need that light?

younggen younggen
Oct '14

attsully- I certainly hope that your friend is on the mend and thank you for the information! I wish they would just turn on the light, I have seen so many near misses at that intersection.

Frustrated! Frustrated!
Oct '14

that hill is steep going over rt 80 towards that new light, it can be reasonable to expect that some large trucks will not be able to stop in time whne the light changes,

so it is prudent to keep a sharp eye out and maintain a good situational awareness even after they turn the light on

when it snows, this hard to stop before the light when coming down that steep hill scenario will be exacerbated, i forsee many vehicles that will be unable to stop at the light and just keep sliding right down the hill

so turn on the traffic lights but don't shut your eyes, even when running late coming from work tired and sitting at the end of the ramp waiting your chance to turn left.

even then, keep both eyes open and evaluate the situation before putting yourself and anyone else at risk,

be careful out there, please

hope the injured has a speedy and full recovery in this case. compound multiple leg fractures . . . . . . think about that for a moment the next time you all need to turn left at the end of that ramp.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.