Samsung Galaxy s5 vs iphone 6

I currently have an iPhone 4s and lately the battery dies in only a few hours. I have turned off locations services, Bluetooth, and deleted all apps that did not come with the phone and it still dies instantly.

I think it’s time for an upgrade. I have Verizon as my services provider and I’m not 100% sure I want to go back to an iPhone. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking the Samsung Galaxy s5 but I could use some suggestions.

Thanks

~Ashley ~Ashley
Sep '14

My suggestion is to start by reading testing information. You might start with Tom's Hardware as he is a fairly reliable source: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-6-battery-life,news-19591.html

I have an LG G2 and it has been a great phone. The screen is full HD, it's fast, supports wireless charging, and has enough storage for me (~16GB internal, but no SD card slot).

The LG G3 is now available and I expect that to be even better (but I really have no reason to upgrade at this time because the G2 doesn't seem outdated at all).

These phones will feel huge (but thin) compared the the old iPhones, so your personal preference may lead you elsewhere, but the hardware is impressive. I've gotten used to the size, and in comparison to the iPhone 6 plus, my phone looks small.

I don't doubt the Samsung is also a great phone, just suggesting to take a look at both and see if there are any minor differences (home screen layouts or other tweaks) that fit your style.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '14

The iPhone is an overall better experience.

BillB BillB
Sep '14

Recently purchased Samsung Galaxy 5 (Verizon) and have been mildly disappointed...battery life is not what I had hoped for and picture quality is good but far from great....a good phone but I might suggest exploring other options.
Best of luck.

Evergreen'69 Evergreen'69
Sep '14

samsung hands down

Darrin Darrin
Sep '14

Evergreen, did you put any sort of screen protector on the phone? if you use a screen protector be sure to get a hd one, as others can distort the display.

The s5 has a 1080p resolution screen, which is the same HD quality as most tv's, so i think something else is wrong

I have the s4, and when i use regular or thick screen protectors i do notice it dims down the clarity of the screen. I used a HD protector on my wife's s4 and what a difference

Darrin Darrin
Sep '14

My boyfriend and I just upgraded to the Galaxy S5 (he had an older Droid, and I had an iphone) we both LOVE the Galaxy S5!
So many options to customize your phone, picture taking has a 16 mega pixels...so many great features.
This article helped us make our decision:
http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/feature/a595924/samsung-galaxy-s5-vs-iphone-6-the-ultimate-battle-of-android-and-ios.html#~oQOfA5SiLUSU6C

av111ks av111ks
Sep '14

I'm on an HTC One M7 that I love to death and would upgrade to the M8 except they are hard at work on the M9 which I believe will take the best of the M7 and M8 and make better.
Samsung has an awesome phone but everyone seems to have it when it comes to Android. I like being different...
Apple, well I'm not a big Apple fan so I may be biased but let me give you advice. Don't put the iPhone6 in your pocket unless you want a slanted phone, lol.
Actually, i just think iPhone is too locked down and restricted. Android is freedom. More power to the user vs iPhone controlling you.

MikeB MikeB
Sep '14

LOVE my droid - no problems

pmnsk pmnsk
Sep '14

Was an iPhone 3 4 and 5 guy. Tried a Galaxy S5 and many things were not possible as easily. It felt clunky and inferior. It lasted two days.

btownguy btownguy
Sep '14

Android is freedom.... freedom for Google to track your every coming and going on the internet and in real life, tracking your movements and advising you exactly what you should buy and when. But that's part of its charm, no?

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

I have an iPhone 5. I have a galaxy5. Hate the iphone. Love the galaxy. I did upgrade the iPhone software thus week, so maybe there will be some improvement. In the end, look for featured you prefer and go with that device.

*this week and * features. Need to type more slowly and proofread!

There was a recall on the iPhone 5 battery...if you go to the apple store they will check yours and see if yours was recalled. They will replace for free. Mine was one that was recalled in the meantime I replaced mine with the iPhone 6. My husband has the galaxy and hates it. Just his opinion

I have the Samsung Galaxy s5 and like it very much and it has a great camera.

~Ashley Re: Battery charging. My salesperson advised me not to leave my phone on the battery charger overnight, because this shortens the life of the battery. I charge it only for @ two hours a day. This seems to work for me.

Good luck!

Chickadee Chickadee
Sep '14

Samsung hands down. Will never go back to the iPhone.

Monte
Sep '14

Re: Samsung Galaxy s5 vs iphone 6

Stat to stat compaired

Darrin Darrin
Sep '14

LOL, field engineer from EMC (that has a Galaxy) loved my iPhone today. We agreed that it basically an iPod touch look wise. Stay with Samsung and get your updates late as they have to propagate their way through you cellular provider. The S5 was not really any better than the S4, at least the iPhone 6 is a lot better than the 5S...

to ashley, your iphone 4s probably need a battery replacement, you can do it urself, look for battery kit replacement on ebay (buy an genuine apple battery) check youtube for howto

TinkoDinko TinkoDinko
Sep '14

Check this out if you have an iphone5

iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

TinkoDinko TinkoDinko
Sep '14

go to the store and see how each phone feels in your hands. There is a learning curve for both phones and operating systems. Its a personal thing and people will love iOS and other will love android. There is always a period to return the phone is you absolutely do not like it.

I know what I like and use but choosing can depend on what you will use it for.

good luck!

On your battery issue, no battery shouldn't die in 3 hours no matter what phone your use.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Sep '14

Re: Samsung Galaxy s5 vs iphone 6

Just don;t see how it feels in your pocket

Darrin Darrin
Sep '14

Iphones if you want more simplicity and order in your life. Android if you are more creative and complex.

As for Iphone vs any Android phone...

LG G3 is by far the best choice you can make on the phone market right now. I love technology and always am looking at the specs on the newest phones. The G3 is the fastest and most advanced phone on the market.

But the Samsung S5, as do all the Samsung Galaxy phones, look like you're touching a picture rather than a phone, the screen looks that pretty.

Abonnet Abonnet
Sep '14

...more creative an complex and potentially compromise you personnel data. You definitely have to be careful which apps you install on Android as apps are not reviewed like Apple before being added. I am not knocking it, but I don't think I would do online banking on such a phone; IOS is not perfect but is more safe in this respect...

iJay I guess you haven't been reading about all the nude pictures being posted by hackers from famous people with IPhones. Androids come with two apps for safe browsing and phone security. I would gladly take the millions of apps available for Android, higher resolution display, faster processors, the ability to add storage, and wireless charging any day. My wife and daughter both have IPhones and are always amazed my phone is faster, better looking display (my Slingbox app is amazing in HD) and the wealth of apps on my phone. Her battery was not part of the recall but still does not last as long as mine does. I am more techie then my wife so the walled garden of the IPhone does not appeal to me.

Stupid famous people with weak passwords. Anyway, they locked down the iCloud to machine IDs so if a different machine ID connects it is prompted to answer challenge questions first and will temporarily lock out now (as it should) if too many attempts were made.

Have you ever rooted your Android, take a look at the system log and you might be surprised with a lot off apps logging IDs and passwords to this log...

My iPhone 6 plus arrives next week! Can't wait.

Haters will hate.

I don't need to bash other companies to make myself better about my decision.

All phones have a place for everyone.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Sep '14

The iPhone is the overall better package. With Android phones you can get some that are faster, have a better screen, better speakers, better camera (although it is tough to beat the iPhone for pictures), but to get the whole package doesn't happen with fast updates. I had the Nexus 5 and that would be my choice since it gets the Android updates fast from Google. I have had a Samsung Galaxy 4 and Galaxy Note 2 so I know. Apple has caught up on some of the advances.

Remember, in the beginning (2007) there was IOS and it was the best hands down. Then Android came on the screen and was second rate. Then Android became first rate and surpassed IOS in some ways. Now IOS has closed the gap and as an overall package IOS is better IMHO.

Bugs will always appear/be discovered so the most important thing is to get updates fast. You get this with the iPhone and devices bought on the Google Play store...

it seems android keeps moving forward, yet apple is playing catch-up/copy cat

Darrin Darrin
Sep '14

Now you have the bash problem not to mention losing cell service on IOS8 update. Playing catchup is not always as easy as you say.

I hear the iPhone 7 will let you stream movies directly from your VCR and Laser Disc machine.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '14

funny that if the iPhone stream movies from a laser disc, it would still outsell any phone.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Sep '14

" it would still outsell any phone"

The iPhone, as a single model, may outsell any other single model of phone only because if you want Apple iOS that is your *only* choice (choice being a relative term here...)

Android has ~52% percent market share compared to 43% for Apple, which means more people still prefer Android and can actually shop around for specific features they want with a variety of phones to actually choose from.

It's the same way Ford can claim that the F150 is the "best selling truck". Chevy/GMC outsells (or ties) them, but technically it's under two nameplates (Silverado/Sierra) even though they are really the same truck with cosmetic differences.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '14

Not bad stats for old technology!

I also believe Apple is on the rise. I'm too lazy to google to get facts.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Sep '14

The new iPhones are good and I like the stats...

That's why I bought a phone just like them... almost 2 years ago. The *only* thing they have on my G2 is memory, and that isn't a selling point for me. My phone has wireless charging (iPhones don't) and that IS a selling point for me.

Apple bumped up about 1% market share in the last year.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '14

1% is probably a lot in this market though? And using technology that is already about and having a positive share is probably very impressive to any company.

like I said in my first post...

Every device will attract a certain person. I never hated on Android and I didn't discuss what phone I had to answer the OP question.

It's the apple haters or android haters that need to spew out facts to either cause an argument or to make them feel better about their choice. I am not saying that towards you at all, I am just stating the truth for BOTH sides.

I am very excited about my iPhone 6 plus coming in. I also did my research for the Note 4 but apple fits my lifestyle and most of my friends have apple and all of my family members have apple so it's a no brainer decision for me.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Sep '14

I don't think that people spew facts to feel better about their choice, I think they spew facts because they are happy about their choice. I have better things to do then to argue about phones, this has just been pointing out the facts. The OP asked S5 vs I6, so why not show them the facts, right?

With the exception of the few to be expected jokes, but hey, if you can;t laugh about something, and really take phones that seriously, I apologize

You are correct, different phones appeal to a different people, and both phones have their positives and negatives.

Darrin Darrin
Sep '14

Thank you everyone for all your responses.

I think I'm going to take a trip to the store and see both of them in person to get a better idea of what I like.

:)

~Ashley ~Ashley
Sep '14

Thats exactly what you should do. Every phone has it's pluses and minuses and every phone will suit different people in different ways.

Darrin Darrin
Sep '14

Good call!

fujixt1 fujixt1
Sep '14

Gotta love the strong opinions on both sides. iOS and Android are essentially the same OS, modified versions of Unix or Linux. The difference is Apple closed view of the world, with only allowing approved apps and only purchasable from Apple. Android has a relatively open architecture, that means more folks writing apps for it. I am a big advocate of Open Source, so my opinion is based on that more than anything else.

Yes a great many Google apps will track your every move, and if you think iPhone does not, i have a bridge in Brooklyn that I wish to offer for sale ( will accept Apple stock in trade).

Full disclosure, I work for Verizon wireless. I use an Android because I like it not because its any better or worse.

Agust Agust
Sep '14

For a phone, I argue that it is a good thing to have Apple review the source code of every application. Which would you feel more comfortable using an online banking application?

I just recently upgraded from the Samsung Stratosphere the the Samsung Galaxy S5. I absolutely love it!!! It does take amazing pictures (which I take alot of!) I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a new phone :) My daughter has the iPhone5 and it will not hold a charge for longer than 4 hours. She has called Verizon and Apple. Unfortunately, her phone is not eligible for the battery replacement (even though I just got it for her last June). She had tried to talk me into getting an iPhone and I refuse!

catlover1 catlover1
Oct '14

OP- did pick a new phone.

I've had my iPhone 6 plus for a few days. So far I really like it.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Oct '14

Yeah, I want to know the outcome too!

Darrin Darrin
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.