Kitten trouble pooping

Hi everyone. My family just adopted a kitten this afternoon. He is between 6-8 weeks from what I was told. He is going to the vet Wednesday morning for an initial visit. My concern is that he is having a really difficult time going to the bathroom. He will strain and only a pea size poop will come out. However, wet poop has been leaking out for a few hours now. I have been cleaning with a warm paper towel. Any ideas on what to do between now and Wednesday? Thanks!

NewKittenMama NewKittenMama
Sep '14

I wouldn't wait until Wednesday. I would get him looked at ASAP. I hope the little guy will be ok.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

I think as long as he's urinating, he'll be ok until Wednesday. A change in diet can cause constipation; that's probably all it is.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Sep '14

Yes he is urinating. I was wondering if a new house with a two year old might be some of the problem. He has the first appointment on Wednesday morning. He is currently curled up on my lap sleeping.

Sep '14

Keep an eye out for an extended tummy. In humans the symptoms are similar to an intestinal blockage. I would call vet in the morning and explain the symptoms and he will let you know whether to bring kitty in sooner. I'm obviously not a veterinarian. :) I'm sure he is fine though just adjusting to a new home.

Kit Kat Kit Kat
Sep '14

I'd definitely call the vet in the morning - and if it were me I'd take the kitten in sooner rather than later - I've had many cats and kittens and never seen what you are observing
and do take a poop sample with you...........

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '14

My cat had these problems when he was a kitten. He would strain, or it would be wet and no in-between. We took him to the vet and they gave us some medicine to even out his system. The reasoning behind it was just the diet change from what he was being fed at the house we adopted him from to what we were feeding him. It is important to take him to the vet though to get the proper diagnosis though. (I am a nut and want to take my cats to the vet the second they look a little off, so I will always suggest a vets opinion)

helpthekitty helpthekitty
Sep '14

Thanks for the help. He has pooped twice in the litter pan. He is still leaking so I really think he may be a little less than six weeks. The vet said being him in tomorrow as scheduled with a stool sample. He is currently eating Whiskas wet pouches so I am also wondering if the fact that it is a lower quality food is impacting him. We shall see.

Sep '14

poor little kitty. hope he will feel better. wonder why you are feeding him "lower quality food"? the foundation for the rest of his life is being built on that....

Feelbetterkitty
Sep '14

That is the food the girl that raised him had him on. I didn't want to change his food immediately with the new transition to our home. That will not be his regular food.

Looking for a kitten Looking for a kitten
Sep '14

I had a kitten who was pooping black and it smelled like death..My husband and I thought we would pass out when we went near the litter box. I was feeding her the same thing from the place she was adopted from. After visiting the vet, he had me get her off of wet food and try a probiotic medicine and thankfully after 2 weeks her poop is smelling better (sad that I think poop can smell better) and its not black anymore. He told me sometimes they have a parasite, its their digestive tract, or its the food. For my little kitten it was her digestive tract and the wet food.

Good luck w/your little one!!!

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Sep '14

so how's the kitten - what did the vet say??

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '14

Feel better little kitten!

av111ks av111ks
Sep '14

So she is staying overnight at the vet. The vet said she is six weeks old and seems in great health other than this issue. They gave her an enema because the vet believed there was a piece of feces blocking and she was leaking because the poop was trying to get out. She is also being dewormed. The vet said she has already stopped leaking but does still have some diarrhea when she goes to the bathroom. Hopefully she will be adjusted and able to come home tomorrow. Thanks all for the suggestions and kind words. Hoping this is issue is resolved quickly and she gets to come home soon.

Sep '14

Glad to hear she is one the mend. Best wishes and post a picture soon.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

so glad she is getting treated

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.