Test Your Jersey Accent (Quiz)

http://www.playbuzz.com/aleshawilliamsboyd10/test-your-jersey-accent

Hmmmm, I got Central Jersey. I've lived in Northern Jersey my whole life.

The Central Jersey accent's claim to fame? It's barely there. You pronounce the "R" in "car" and give your long "E's" the respect they deserve. But us Central Jerseyans will still partake in a little pork roll for breakfast and know our way around a jughandle.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Central for me too.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '14

Central for me too. Came to Elizabeth at about age 12 from Germany.

kayaking kayaking
Sep '14

Northern

You're from North Jersey. "R's" are irrelevant and some of your pronunciation preferences may be borrowed from New York, but your accent has the northern third of the Garden State stamped all over it. Fuggedaboutit.

The description is weird because I pronounce R's. I answered car instead cah and drawer instead drahw.

jrsemom jrsemom
Sep '14

North Jersey here too

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Sep '14

North Jersey here....

joyful joyful
Sep '14

I got Central, Lived in Elizabeth,Roselle, Westfield, Branchburg, and Washington. I don't think that's Central Jersey. I followed the words, Go west young man. I finially found the best place in Warren Country

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

"cawfee" or "coffee"

Huh? What's the difference? (-;

I don't draw it out like cawwwwfee or anything (my wife does, though, lol)... but does anyone really pronounce it cah-fee? I don't think I've heard that too often, regardless of where I am in the country.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

Central Jersey accent here by way of Brooklyn. However, i have never had pork roll and don't think I would.

justwondering justwondering
Sep '14

ianimal - You've never been to Heyna Valley in NE PA have you? You'd most likely offer them a tissue as sinus congestion appears to be involved. ;-)

I live in Central Jersey. And I also got North Jersey as my answer.

talex
Aug '16

Talex this thread is over 2 years old, but glad you brought it back.

Miss your quizzes Calico.

positive positive
Aug '16

I know this thread is old, but I just took the quiz! I got Central Jersey, which makes sense. I grew up in way South Jersey and have lived in North Jersey for most of my adult life. So blend the two together and you get...Central Jersey!

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Aug '16

How far down, Jersey Girl? I grew up in BurlCo and they definitely have the "Phully" influence which still comes out when I say certain words.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '16

North Jersey.
Well, of course...

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '16

I got North Jersey, but the question for Eagles for a bit tricky. It didn't give me a choice of SUCK
lmao

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Aug '16

I got North Jersey..sounds about right. Grew up in upstate New York and they say the way I say the words is borrowed from New Yorkers....In fact, they said I speak most like the Northern 3rd of the people do in the Garden State.

Joyful Joyful
Aug '16

I got North Jersey..

Malkin Malkin
Aug '16

North hands down!

It seems that there is an error in the words coffee, talk, etc. When the quiz asks how does say talk, for example, the spelling tawk is used for a New York accent, but New Jerseyans still have pronounce the a in talk with the au. However, it simply is not as exaggerated. I retook the quiz and my result came out as Central Jersey. So, that was the real problem for me.

talex
Sep '16

North Jersey, although some people have mistaken me to be a New Yorker since I've a pretty heavy accent. When I lived in CA for a short time I was made fun of a lot..especially the way I pronounce water. Lol

positive positive
Sep '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.