License Plate Question

Can you exchange you old license plates for new plates?

Just bought a new vehicle & my old plates are nasty 13 years old plates and don't want to put them on the new vehicle...will the state exchange them without a fee? lol

Anybody ever do this before?

I did. I lost the front plate and went to mv and got 2 new ones. I think it was very reasonable.

A good day
Sep '14

I also lost a plate and had to get new ones. The fee they charge is what the difference is between the present plate and fee for new plate. You get credit for what was left on the plate and the new one is extended to end a year from the date you get the new ones.

You can reorder your current license plate for only ten dollars.

Go to your local DMV and ask the receptionist for the paper work, fill out, attach check and within a couple of weeks brand new (old number) plates.

tidy
Sep '14

Great - thanks!

Tidy: Are you sure that you can keep the same number that was on your current license plate? I always thought that when you ordered new plates they have to give you a new number.. I have what they call Prestige Plates with my name on them and no numbers (paid extra for those) and they are in really bad shape. Can I get those same plates by filling out this form and paying $10?

joyful joyful
Sep '14

The new plates no longer have embossed raised letters and numbers, the new plates will feature digitally printed flat lettering. BORING!!!!

http://www.northjersey.com/news/road-warrior-n-j-license-plates-to-be-flat-digitally-printed-mvc-cites-durability-1.1027878?page=all

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Sep '14

Duplicate plates
You can request duplicate plates if one or both plates have been damaged.

To obtain duplicate plates with the same plate number, visit your local MVC Agency or call MVC at (609) 292-6500 or toll free in NJ at (888) 486-3339 to obtain an application (Form SP89) and a return envelope. Return the application with a copy of your registration and an $11 check or money order
Duplicate plates will be sent to you through the mail in approximately 10 to 12 weeks. Please destroy or surrender the damaged plates to MVC when you receive your new ones
Note: If you surrender your plates, do not enter the plate number into MVCs computer system – let them know they are duplicates.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Sep '14

I think it is cheaper and quicker if you get new plates. You'll get them the same day., and I believe it is $6 instead of $11.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Sep '14

Thank you so much to everyone for that information. I want to keep my same plates (I have my name on them) so will do as Mr. Negative suggested.

joyful joyful
Sep '14

It looks like the price has increased since the last time I ordered duplicate plates this past May.

I have had the same plate number for over 25 years, it just flows.

tidy
Sep '14

I just picked up the form, Tidy...it is still $11 for duplicate plates... even the prestige plates...

joyful joyful
Sep '14

joyful were the replacement plates flat or embossed? I saw a new car in front of me the other day with the flat plate, at the time I thought it could be a counterfeit, wouldn't be hard to do with no embossing.

hktownie hktownie
Sep '14

Re: License Plate Question

Has anyone ever seen the PA "Flagship Niagara" license plates? I was behind a car that had them yesterday and from 10 feet away, I couldn't tell a single digit of the plate number, that's how illegible it was... I guess that's why they discontinued them, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

I just picked up the form today at Motor Vehicle, hktownie, so I have no idea yet if the duplicate replacement plates will be flat or embossed when I receive them. It may be 8 to 10 weeks before I receive the plates in the mail. Have to make a copy of my registration yet and send that along with the $11 to them and then when I receive the duplicate plates...I am to take my old plates back to the Motor Vehicle Agency.

joyful joyful
Sep '14

Can this be done with the "special" plates- like animal friendly ones? Mine are getting pretty worn and flaky. I would love to have the newer Mutts design:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Sep '14

I don't know about the special animal friendly plates, Blackcat...I would give the local Motor Vehicle agency a call about those. I think if you change the existing plate in anyway even with a different design you might not be able to have the same license number. Not sure...so best to call. I am getting the exact same plate that I had before with no changes..

joyful joyful
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.