Cats claws need trimming

We used to bring our cats to Petco in roxbury for inexpensive claw trimming but the person has moved on.My vet charges $30. too much in my opinion. I tried petsmart at the ITC and someone does it there sporatically. Any suggestions?

stressed out stressed out
Sep '14

have you tried doing it yourself? Even if you just do a paw a day so your cat is not too stressed.

Summer Summer
Sep '14

I do mine myself. Two of my three have no issue with it at all. The third doesn't have any issue with me doing it once I catch her. She's very timid and isn't crazy about being picked up and held.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Dremel tool with a small drum sanding attachment.

Example: http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=407#.VBrerldiIzg

sack
Sep '14

A good tool that won't hurt them helps. Also try holding them down instead of picking them up. That's the way I've seen them do it at the vet's office.

I get mine while they are sleeping soundly. Sometimes I only get one, other times I get a whole paw before they wake up.

A lot less stress on all involved that way.

I also find it safer to let the nails get long first. They are easier to see and judge the cut length.

Sack-tried that on the dog. Wasn't having it. Lol.

Vets do it. Under $20 for my dog. Probably cheaper for cats.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '14

Ask Jim at Hackettstown Pet Store. I was told by an employee years ago that he clips birds wings and nails. I asked when I moved here because I had 2 cockatiels. I ended up not needing those services though. Anyway, he might do cats claws too.

jrsemom jrsemom
Sep '14

I used Sheri's Pampered Pets for my older cat a few years ago - she came to the house and was very good (& quick) w/ my cat.

http://www.sherispamperedpets.com/

Neezy Neezy
Sep '14

GC - My Lydia would never stand for being held down, I could lose an eye. LOL As far as my other two, they just sit patiently on my lap with their backs toward me and enjoy the attention. :-)

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.