Advice about finding a new job

This may sound stupid to some but it is a real question.

What would you do?

Recently my job has cracked down on many rules making work feel like a elementary school. I can't stand the job anymore. I am living on my own therefore I can't just quit. If I call out I will be written up or possibly fired because I have minimal days left. I want to go on interviews but I feel trapped. I'm grateful that I have a job but how can I get a new one without risking this one.

Frustrated Frustrated
Sep '14

Well, whatever you do, don't quit. If you end up being fired despite your best efforts, at least you can go on unemployment insurance and get health insurance through Cobra (assuming you were provided health insurance)...

Hopefully you have an updated resume with no spelling or grammatical errors ... look in the help wanted, in print, on line, whatever ... send it wherever you see an opening where you think you'd like to work ... find out everything you can about the place if you get scheduled for an interview and good luck.

They say it is easier to get another job if you are working, there is a "stigma" to being unemployed.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '14

Be generally up front and honest with employers. If they respond to your resume and request an interview, tell them that you are currently employed full time and that time off is difficult, and ask them what they can do. Employers understand how that works, and they may be willing to do something like an evening or weekend interview for you, or even a phone interview during a break. Just don't tell them how much you hate your current job--that sounds too negative. Explain only that you are currently seeking something with more potential.

Andy is right--the fact that you ARE employed, and not willing to just blow off work to go to interviews, can actually look good to a smart employer.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Sep '14

JerseyWolf - Thank you that is the best advice so far anyone has given me.

Hopefully it helps out and I will have a new job soon.

Frustrated Frustrated
Sep '14

When ever I've given interviews, it's always been after hours. I think it's almost expected and should not be an issue for an employer that really wants to hire.

Long time ago, I went on an interview on a Saturday and finally got a new job. I did appreciate that they had the interviews after hours.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.