Cleaner for Stainless Steel Appliances

hi. Just purchased first stainless steel appliances. Little fingers make lots of finger prints on them. I was told that Orange pledge works great by someone and another person told me about Zep (not sure about spelling on that one). What do you use/recommend on yours ?
Thanks

Regular Pledge works just fine for me.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

I've always used Windex with great results.

Pledge is too acidic, Windex has more than one product but most have extra ingredients that leave streaks behind.

Weiman Stainless Steel Cleaner - specifically made for the purpose, coupons available from their web site. Was discussed previously here on HL.

The Orange Multi Purpose Cleaner from the Dollar Store...It is sold under many different brands but same thing. Good for cleaning just about anything.....I have stainless steel sinks and it makes them shine. Another good product is called Fantastic...

joyful joyful
Sep '14

A little mild soap and water. Thats all. Works great!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '14

1+ for Weiman. Leaves a streak free shine and smells great!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '14

We just use good old white vinegar in a spray bottle. Works great and one less chemical in the house.

I was told to use something with a paste-wax finish to better avoid the finger prints. Anyone know if that's true and what products? (makes pledge sound good)

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Sep '14

+3 for Weimans

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '14

I have used pledge and it has a huge build up. I only use a stainless cleaner on mine.

Re: Cleaner for Stainless Steel Appliances

This is what I use and I've always been happy with it. You spray it on, wipe it with the grain of the stainless, and then go back over with a clean cloth and polish. Comes out super shiny. Though just as an aside, I have the Frigidaire Professional appliances and they have a slightly different surface called "Smudge Proof" so they don't really show fingerprints anyway.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '14

Bar Keepers Friend

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Sep '14

I've tried a few and have had great results with Magic stainless steel wipes. I hit the appliances less then once a month. They repell finger prints and dust. Good stuff.

LJRubi LJRubi
Sep '14

Wild Angel suggests Bar Keeper's friend, but I'd only use that for heavy duty cleaning of stainless, such as deposits on a stainless sink that don't want to come up. It's main ingredient is Oxalic acid, which may be rough on your skin and it does have a characteristic smell. It also can't be used on some surfaces either:

"DO NOT USE BAR KEEPERS FRIEND ON:
Gold, silver, pewter, marble, lacquered metals, or anodized aluminum"

I use it at work for cleaning heavy-duty rust staining and deposits off chrome and stainless steel, for which purpose it is excellent, but you should be a bit careful with it around the house.

BonAmi is a gentler Feldspar based gentle abrasive product.

If you only need to remove fingerprints, I'd try some of the other suggestions, such as Magic wipes, etc.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

+4 for Weimans, I use the wipes. I sometimes use a dry cloth after the wipes to remove any excess from wipe

Congrats on your new appliances, always a fun purchase !

BrandyB BrandyB
Sep '14

Also depends on quality of stainless you get.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '14

Diluted white vinegar to clean it. A little baby oil on a cloth to shine it. I did this when I cleaned houses and it really works.

positive positive
Sep '14

Clean with windex, then use an oil based stainless steel cleaner to polish it. It'll shine like you bought it yesterday for years

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Sep '14

Look up a product called Wenol you can get it a walmart its in the auto section mostly use by hot roders and custom car owners

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Sep '14

Where do you get Weiman ss cleaner? postive, if you finish it off with baby oil does that make it more prone to fingerprints? Thanks.

I was using Method ss cleaner. I wouldn't recommend it. It leaves spots.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '14

Weimans can be found at shop-rite as well as home depot and lowes I think -
I use many of their products including window cleaner --furniture wax---all good

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '14

Meister if you use a very minimal amount on a rag it shouldn't make it anymore prone to fingerprints than any other stainless steel cleaner. However, it does make it very very shiny.

positive positive
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.