FOUND: 2 Hunting Dogs, Great Meadows

2 WHITE AND BROWN HUNTING DOGS ON ALPHANO ROAD IN GREAT MEADOWS. one male on female, safe and sound. Please call 9087632634

MATT
Sep '14

if you can get a picture to post it might be helpful. Hope their owners find them.

Shady Shady
Sep '14

Just went though all the lost dog postings on the NJ Lost and Found FB page - didn't see any posts about them. Thank you for taking them in and looking after them while their owners are found, Matt.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

Re: FOUND: 2 Hunting Dogs, Great Meadows

These dogs have been in the care of animal control for over three days now. I've been taking care of them. Here is a photo:

Those look like two beautiful gun dogs, like German Shorthaired Pointers I think? I belong to a popular online NJ Hunters Forum (but no, I don't hunt! long story), so I will post that they have been found. Which Animal Control are they at?

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

Rebecka, WRNJ reported today that they are at Happy Tails.

Great, thank you, maja!

I just posted on the hunting forum. So many NJ hunters belong to that, I'm hoping we'll be able to find their owners.

Anyone know how long dogs are held at Happy Tails? And if they are not claimed, are they put up for adoption??

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

in NJ dogs must be held for 7 days....What happy tails does with them after that.... who knows :(

That gives us just four days to find the owners. Please tell me that the dogs are not simply euthanized after 7 days!? (We cannot allow this to happen. These are two beautiful animals and look to be in the prime of their lives! They were probably out on some excursion with their owner when they got lost.) Surely there is a shelter or adoption agency that takes animals after 7 days at Happy Tails?

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

I have personally participated in many dog adoptions here. The dogs will be given a home if no one ever comes forward. First priority is returning them to where they came from hopefully. Also, I doubt these dogs have ever been hunting unfortunately. They're not even trained in basic obedience.

Try contacting vets in the area...these are gorgeous dogs, obviously well taken care of. Perhaps a breed-specific Facebook page as well.

Davis Davis
Sep '14

The question is...WHY are the owners not looking for these dogs? I rescued a hunting dog that was basically dumped cause she was scared of the gun shots so the guy just dumped her..had no use for her. Hope this is not the case here. Doubt it, but owner should seriously be calling around.

villani villani
Sep '14

Villani,

That is certainly the question at this point. Neighboring townships have been notified. Nobody seems to be looking for these dogs.

I shared it on my face book page. Hope that helps find the owners!

SMP - on the hunting forum, they asked if the inside of the dogs ears have been checked for any identifying tattoos?

Also, I was informed that they may be English Pointers. So I am looking for anyone who may have posted a missing notice for English Pointers online.

Villani - I was asking myself that same question. There is always the possibility that something may have happened to the *owner* of these dogs while he/she was out with them, though. Hoping they are reunited soon and everyone is safe.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

Does anyone know if the Eastern Shorthair Club was contacted about these missing dogs?

My thinking is maybe they have some information on who might own this type of dog in our area

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Sep '14

They are German shorthaired pointers, English pointers do not have docked tails

wally85 wally85
Sep '14

Smp - have you or Tim contacted the club mentioned? Here is info: http://www.egspc.com/index.asp

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

I shared this on my FB page as well.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

I just sent an email to the Eastern German Shorthaired Pointers Club (all the leadership) with the info we have about these dogs and pleaded for help. I'm hoping they will email all of their members to help find out who the owner might be.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

I am now in touch with a woman named Rayna who runs the German Shorthaired Pointer Rescue of NJ. She is reaching out to Tim at Happy Tails today so that the dogs can be taken in by her if no one claims them, when their "time runs out" at Happy Tails. So they definitely will not be euthanized (which I was kind of losing sleep over) and we will have more time than 7 days to try to locate the owners.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

That's great news Rebecka. Thanks for all you've done here.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Good news Rebecka.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Sep '14

Posted on GSP FB page...hopefully word is getting out. Can't believe no one's claimed these dogs yet!

Yes, Rebecka thanks!

Davis Davis
Sep '14

SAINT Rebecka!!! :)

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Sep '14

Oh, so far from it, JR! For some reason the plight of these dogs just went straight to my heart, and I happened to have some free time. All I did was make a few phone calls and send some emails. The people who run the rescue organizations - they're the real saints!!

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

Excellent Rebecka - you may have made a few calls and sent a few emails - but YOU DID IT - sure better than wringing hands and talking about it ---YAY YOU

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '14

Thanks for your help Rebecka. Just so you don't worry, we don't euthanize dogs "when their time runs out." I have personally taken care of dogs for multiple months until they got adopted. In fact, one was a trained Pointer a few years ago that now lives happily at a large farm in PA.

Thank you, smp! Did you see my note above re: tattoos in ears? Just wondering if their ears were checked? A hunter on the nj hunting forum told me sometimes hunting dogs are ID'd this way.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

Is there anyway to "foster" these dogs? Would be interested possibly in adopting them if the owners never came forward.

Heather Heather
Sep '14

I winder if there is any relation to this story:

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2014/07/sick_abandoned_hunting_dog_must_be_euthanized_vet_says.html#lf_comment=186421289

I know the distance is far, but odd that three similar types of dogs have been found over the last several days.

DrLAF DrLAF
Sep '14

Wonder

DrLAF DrLAF
Sep '14

So the article above said that the dog could have belonged to one of several hunting clubs that use the land and could have been lost or abandoned. Comments on the article say why do people assume he was abandoned? If you're a hunter and loose your dog, wouldn't you report him missing?? No one reported this dog missing or claimed him. Does not sound right to me...I don't know much about hunting but if a dog is sick or of no use anymore do they just dump them?? Ridiculous!! And I am speaking from experience of a hunter up in this area that only keep hunting dogs around to hunt but has no love or care for the dogs..they are just fed, kept alive and put to use.

villani villani
Sep '14

Just to keep you all updated: Rayna of German Shorthaired Pointer Rescue of NJ has been in contact with Tim at Happy Tails. She will be taking the dogs into her care on Saturday. She will of course continue to look for the owners while seeking foster care and then adoption for the dogs if she is unable to locate the owners. Heather, I will PM you with her contact information since you mention being interested in fostering them. Rayna asked that I go and get better pictures of the dogs today, and I reached out to Tim who said he would call me back and let me know when I could come and photograph them. She has received a report of two GSPs stolen from Long Island, and needs good photographs to see if these dogs might be a match. If they're not a match, high-quality, flattering images of the dogs will also help get them adopted if need be.

Dr. Laf - that dog was found I think two and a half months ago based on the article? Probably not any connection to these dogs, IMHO.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

That is good news that Rayna will be taking them and still try to locate their owners. Good work Rebecka!

Nature Lover
Sep '14

@MATT - you don't have an envelope next to your name, otherwise I would PM you. Question: where on Alphano Rd. were the dogs found? Southern part, closer to 46, or Northern part, closer to 80... or midline near Ryan Rd.?

Here's why I ask - I'm going to make a giant "Found" poster or two with pictures of the dogs, and would like to put it right where the dogs were located.

Thank you.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

Seems like these dogs were dumped on purpose - no hunter would let 2 good hunt dogs get away especially since it's all over Facebook....

Maybe they are just bad at hunting - my buddy had a hunt dog that would only point at turtles...thus the name the Turtle Dog was established & he got a lot of mocking about it but he never dumped the dog but after the third turtle he kept it in the house.

I agree RU (cute turtle story), my brother in law bought a GSP for hunting years ago and it turned out to be gun shy. It became my mother and father in law's family pet.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Just to clear something up, the dogs that end up at Happy Tails due to Animal Control impound are NOT eunthanized after their stray hold is up. They are cared for there as long as it takes to find a new home and are treated the same as the other dogs in Happy Tails care. If the kennel fills up, the owner or staff members often take the animal control animals homes to foster. Sometimes breed specific rescues are contacted for help and the animals are posted on petfiner and facebook. These two are just two of MANY that end up at Happy Tails and go on to find forever happy homes.

In other words, they are safe there. There are thousands of other animals in shelters in this country that are not safe.

Inntheknow
Sep '14

That's great to know, Inntheknow. Does this go for cats, too, I assume?

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

My one-time conversation with Tim about cats at the Inn is that there are so many that they are euthanized after 7 days. Some people have mentioned -- don't know if it's true or not -- that they can only wait 3 days to euthanize.

I've hoped that with more shelters and adoption efforts in this area that it is no longer true, but I don't know that.

@Inntheknow, please let us know about cats. People who lose cats will need to know so they can contact you first.

redmink1 redmink1
Sep '14

If cats are feral they are typically euthanized after 7 days. Healthy friendly cats go to one of two local cat rescues.

Inntheknow
Sep '14

For the record, I do not work there. I am just involved in animal rescue in the area.

Inntheknow
Sep '14

Thank you Inntheknow, much appreciated. Best of luck in your animal rescues!!

redmink1 redmink1
Sep '14

Even a vet, unless they work frequently with feral cats, cannot tell a frightened stray from a feral. Have worked with ferals for almost 20 years and very few vets can even work with them, although they THINK they can. Stray cats tend to go to survival mode which is like feral behavior. They have not been domesticated as long as dogs. A stray cat that breeds will have each generation drastically more feral,,which is why they survive.

Viking Viking
Sep '14

So does anyone knw if these dogs were reunited? So sad :(

Justlookingaround Justlookingaround
Sep '14

Sadly, no one has come forward to claim these dogs. Either something happened to their owner, or they were abandoned. There's really no other explanation, as far as I can figure. Information has been posted everywhere online, and all police and ACOs know about them. So, they will be going into the care of the GSP Rescue of NJ tomorrow.

I was able to go out and get pics of them today. Thanks to Tim at Happy Tails to bringing them out for me and being the handler during the photo shoot. Flattering pics will hopefully help them find forever homes more quickly.

Here is the female.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

And the male.

And here's hoping you two find a wonderful family soon.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

Just curious as to how old they are? Do you have an idea Rebecka?

Gorgeous pics BTW.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Tim and I both think they are around 2 years old, Calico. Young and bouncy, but not "crazy" by any stretch. Just energetic. And very sweet.

Thanks for nice words on pics. Not my best work but I only had about a minute with each dog.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

Love the pictures, Rebecka

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '14

When I was young we found a German Short Hair running along the road. No tags or license. Put an ad in the paper. No one ever claimed him. He was a great dog and lived a good long life. They are very smart dogs. He was added to our family on top of a two week old litter (unexpected) of collie mix puppies. We gave away all but one. Those two followed me everywhere I went.

Hope these two find good homes. Beautiful dogs.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '14

There is a hunting dog training club somewhere out there. Not sure if it was Allamuchy or Independence. May want to call Hackettstown Animal Hospital, ask for Patty 908-852-3166. Maybe she knows.

spay neuter your pet spay neuter your pet
Sep '14

I just got a brief update from the man at the GSP rescue organization who was in charge of caring for and fostering these dogs, so I thought I would pass along the happy news: The girl has found a forever home!! So happy. From abandoned to loved. (They named her 'Rebecka' -- I am so touched.)

The boy is still under his care as he needs to receive special treatment for a case of heartworm. Let's hope he makes a full recovery.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '14

That's great Rebecka! Too bad they couldn't stay together though.

Glad to hear it. Please keep us update on these dogs if you can.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

WONDERFUL...

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

That is wonderful news and your namesake is gorgeous.

I think these dogs hjave been loose before .

gypsy
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.