ICE (emergency contact) on your cell phone

Many may already know this but to some it may help.Emergency Services Personnel will turn to a victim's cell phone for clues to that person's identity. You can make their job much easier with a simple idea that they are trying to get everyone to adopt: ICE.

ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. If you add an entry in the contacts list in your cell phone under ICE, with the name and phone no. of the person that the emergency services should call on your behalf, you can save them a lot of time and have your loved ones contacted quickly. If you have more than one contact, in case the primary one is not available, you can name them ICE 1, ICE 2, ICE 3, etc.

It only takes a few moments of your time to do.

ignatz ignatz
Sep '14

We have the emergency contact persons name and phone number highlighted in RED.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '14

I have a listing of all the family's cell Phones and their relationship taped to the answering machine since I live alone. It's is also in my VitalsTube in the glove compartment of my car. Including drugs that I take.

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

I implemented the use of ICE back in 2008. As a iPhone user and one who suffers from a disabling illness I had to be a bit creative. In order to protect my personal information, I utilze the smartphone's passciode feature. I'm at greater risk of being found unconscious than alert. I should also say my smartphone is surgically attached, lol. For this reason I have created Wallpaper for my phone with my emergency contact information. The minute the phone is activated the information appears.

NJKID1010 NJKID1010
Sep '14

Mine are all highlighted in red. I also have a medical part for medical emergencies.

Christine Christine
Sep '14

Old Gent, chances are that something could happen when you are out and about and away from your car - say something happens in the middle of a store and you are unconscious but your contact info won't be immediately available to you. Think of the situation that NJKID1010 described. A simple cell phone nothing fancy with phone numbers saved as ICE1-son - something like that would result in faster contact of loved ones as opposed to getting to the hospital, emergency personnel/police/hospital staff searching your wallet for your identify,police to go to your house or searching for relatives and trying to reach them in person, etc.

DetailsHere
Sep '14

I don't have anyone near to me to get very excited about me in a hurry.

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

Old gent-we would help you out. Put HL forum as your emergency contact. Guarantee you would get someone immediately. There is always someone on here, 24/7. ;)

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '14

Don't worry about me. I am still managing to take care of myself. Beside I am in the lords hands. You all putting up with me helps me keep my mind alert. Thanks for your concern.

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

What if you have a passcode on your phone?

RANGERSFAN RANGERSFAN
Sep '14

"What if you have a passcode on your phone?"

What do you think?

ignatz ignatz
Sep '14

When hitting the contacts button, the first entry built into my phone is 'ICE". It allows for three entries along with any information you chose to enter. Such as first choice or who lives the closest to your home. With permission I entered three people along with their addresses and obviously both home and cell numbers.

Tanya Tanya
Sep '14

I just got the IPhone 6 yesterday. In the Health app that comes preloaded, you can create a Medical ID, which includes your personal medical history PLUS you can add in emergency contacts. The Medical ID can be set to be accessible in the "emergency access" area of a password protected phone. This would eliminate the "ICE" issue in your Contacts on password protected phones. I think I'll set it up just for the emergency contact piece.

MO H'town MO H'town
Nov '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.