Where to buy the best bread in our area?

Looking for opinions on where the best freshly-baked bread is to be found in our area. Willing to travel up to 20 minutes or so if necessary. Could you please post where you get the bread, and specifically what your favorite selections are from the bakery?

Thank you!

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

Muheisen's Bakery (not the deli) at 217 West Washington Ave (route 57, around corner from H&R Block) in Washington.

Fresh baked bread daily, rolls, specialty breads, Italian pastries. Definitely an Italian baker. I've found things there I haven't seen in fifty years, just like my grandmother used to bake.

I like it all, as my waistline can testify to. Can't tell you my favorite...but all I can say is I haven't found anything yet I wouldn't eat again (and again...).

JerryG JerryG
Sep '14

Yes, Muheisen's in Washington. It's located where Sicilia Bakery used to be.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

I love Harper's cinnamon bread. They don't always make it, but it's darn good.

Harpers for French bread!

Sport
Sep '14

Cafe Perot in Andover on 206. About 1/2 mile past Andover diner on right. Also an apple crumb and apricot crumb cake that is outstanding

jay waldstein jay waldstein
Sep '14

Anthony and sons(former cheese block)succasuna

Is it real
Sep '14

We drive up to Sussex once every couple of months to get about 10 loaves of bread from Holland American bakery on 23, keep it in the freezer. Its amazing bread, flour, salt, yeast, malt, water. That's it. Sometimes just make my own if we run out and don't have time to make the run.

hktownie hktownie
Sep '14

I am a big fan of Antique Bakery in Hoboken. I go every few months, buy a dozen sticks, cut them in serving size pieces and wrap them in foil. I throw them in the oven at 350 a few minutes and it's fabulous! My daughter has an apartment in the East Village across the street from Union Market. I also like their bread! I bring home six and freeze them in foil. This is how I learned to survive when I moved here 31 years ago and good italian bread was hard to come by!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Sep '14

anyone willing to ship me bread to NC for a profit? apparently southern peeps think crusty bread = stale - ergo it is non existent.

Skippy Skippy
Sep '14

Holland American has the most awesome cinnamon bread.........

Candace J Candace J
Sep '14

I usually go to my fridge for the best" liquid bread". 😉. I do recommend Muheisen's for the old fashioned loaf style though.

atthedrivein atthedrivein
Sep '14

Definitely "Anthony & Sons In Succasuna ( It's an outlet store for their products), and the bakery is in Denville off of 53 turn left at the CVS ..they are down around there.

The outlet in Succasuna is on the east bound side; Just before the right turn to get onto Sussex Tpk.
Their Italian Bread stay's the freshest. We just throw it in the fridge and it's good for like 5 day's. Freezes great too!
\
The wife always picks up 3 loaves when in the area. The pastries are nothing to write home about though.

For Pastries, we stop on the way back home at Giancarlo's Bakery for great pastries.
They are on the West Bound Side of Rt. 10 . Across from the Roxbury Mall and Red Lobster there.

embryodad embryodad
Sep '14

Schwind's Pork Store on Rt 46 in Rockaway or the Alpine Deli in Blairstown sell some excellent light and dark rye breads. They don't bake but the stuff is good!!!

MickyD
Sep '14

Panera is right in Hackettstown. Good bread and great soups. Give it a try.

Singlemaleinnj Singlemaleinnj
Sep '14

So many wonderful ideas. My mouth is watering! Going to attempt to try every place out.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

The Long Valley Shepherd Creamery ( across from Brew Pub) gets great bread from NYC on weekends. Great sourdough baguette!!

Andrea Andrea
Sep '14

Not close but if you ever want Portuguese rolls, I'll pick some up for you from Teixeira Bakery on Ferry St. in Newark. They also have the best pasteis de nata!

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Sep '14

Harper's French bread is the best.

"Teixeira Bakery"...isn't that the same place that delivers to Shop Rite? I'm pretty sure I've seen their labels. I like Shop Rite's Portugese rolls a lot.

I would like a nice, thin crust Italian loaf that won't crack your teeth but still has that nice crunch. I used to love Sicilia Bakery. Will have to try Muheisen's.

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '14

Calandra on 46 in the fairfield area
Balthazar in Englewood

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '14

ShopRite carries Calandra's and that is pretty darn good flour, water, yeast, salt. The only bread I buy at the store.

LittleWing LittleWing
Sep '14

Locally Harpers for French Baguette and hard rolls. Their cinnamon bread is to die for.

All others Callandras in Fairfield.

Christine Christine
Sep '14

Havnt seen it lately but Shoprite used to carry La Brea brand . Artisan bread from California that made delicious French toast.

jerseycash5
Sep '14

Wegmans own bakery makes damn fine bread in all flavors, shapes and sizes.

But, I really miss the NY Italian Bakery on South Main Street in P'burg... they were the best for crusty Italian loaves and "stick" bread. And they also had the best chocolate éclairs on Sunday mornings.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

Re: Where to buy the best bread in our area?

I make my own from time to time. Dutch Oven boules, french baguettes, and focaccia. If you have a kitchen scale and a good mixer it's really easy.

If I'm buying, Wegman's it is. Whole Foods is ok as well.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.