Joan Rivers - RIP

Pull the plug and let her go with dignity but I guess that no talent daughter has to figure out what she's going to do without the golden goose.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Aug '14

It's her mother for crying out loud. How heartless of you. They are very close and she is an only child. Way to be compassionate. p.s. I'm sure her life insurances are plenty if you're worried about any golden opportunity.

What a horrible post.

BabyReply
Aug '14

Horrible? do you want to be kept alive as a vegetable on some machine for selfish reason? I sure Don't!!!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Aug '14

Mr Neg, easy to say when the decision is not yours to make. As far as your comment " do you want to be kept alive as a vegetable on some machine for selfish reason? I sure Don't!!! That is YOUR choice, just as the Rivers choice is Melissa's. If she wants your opinion, I am sure she will contact you.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Aug '14

All three of you sound like losers! Who really cares...

I don't want to be on life support either if I am going to be a vegetable. With that being said, you don't know the whole story, what the doctors told her, etc. My best friend was on life support for 7 days and is here today because her family decided to give her a chance. She is here today, better than ever, because they didn't pull the plug.

Mariann Mariann
Aug '14

Wow Ben, I'm certainly glad you are not my son, husband, Dad or even acquaintance! You notice I've left out friend, since I would never chose someone with an attitude such as yours to be a friend. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even Mr. Negative and you. But calling them losers is low. I'm sure Melissa Rivers cares in this situation. And I know when I lost people close to me, I was very grateful to the people who cared and thankfully there were many.

Tanya Tanya
Aug '14

"Losers" What are we in 3rd grade

Booster90 Booster90
Aug '14

no !!!!!!!!! her show is one of the few shows my wife watches that I also enjoy a laugh from.

As a rule, if someone doesn't want "to be kept alive as a vegetable on some machine", he/ she should sign Do not resuscitate order before undergoing with any medical procedure. Not signing DNR is selfish if a person who doesn't want to be kept "alive as a vegetable on some machine" doesn't legally say so to doctors and family.

Mr. Negative, you are not in the situation and I wonder if you ever were. As we speak, an uncle of mine has days left (or less). He does not want to live with all of the machines, and he cannot speak, eat, or stand.

He has been this way for two months and is tired and wants to move on especially since a similar but lesser incident occurred the previous year; and he never really healed from the first incident.

Try to have some compassion for the old as we will all be there one day...

Someone needs to visit the Wizard for both a heart and a brain.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '14

Good one @ Rebecka !

Rebecka, I like that comment

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

Wow I can't believe what I am reading in this post. Seriously the woman is on LIFE SUPPORT! Have you ever had a loved on life support, MrNegative? You don't know if Joan Rivers had a living will or what she discussed with her daughter if something happened to her. Well it's easy for you to say "pull the plug" because it isn't you in the situation. Just because you "pull the plug" doesn't mean they let go immediately! It can be hours, days, months, or longer before they pass on. Some cases they come through!

As someone who has been faced with situation before (multiple times) there are many factors that come into play with this. You shouldn't judge some one so fast without knowing the facts! It's one of the hardest things watching someone you LOVE like this. I do not wish that on anyone!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Aug '14

Wonder how people can be so cruel! I'm with you, Rebecca.

Joyce Polack Joyce Polack
Aug '14

Many years ago, My bowling team were talking about this subject long before anyone heard of a Living Will. One fellow was a Lawyer and wrote one up and we all adopted it.
Basically says If two Doc's say no hope and I am on a machine, pull the plug. No family decisions to make.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

"Like wow"... I remember Joan Rivers well from back in the day. She gave me some good laughs. And Joan is Melissa's "mommy". There HAS to be denial. I Jay, I understand
I went through that with my 89 yr old friend. Maybe we can remember some of the laughs that we had with her. Rest in peace Joan. We love ya ♡

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Aug '14

Joan was on howard stern a few weeks ago. She made it clear that she didn't want to be a vegetable. She said at first sign of losing her mind she would go to Europe to see a doctor to assist her in ending her life. She said she didn't think Melissa would let her do it so she would have to sneak and go to Europe without telling her.

Darwin Darwin
Aug '14

You are right about the living will, but many don't do it for whatever reason...

I don't think people understand unless they are going or have gone through it , it would not be easy to just pull the plug as you say , people need time to process and deal with what may happen , a few weeks on life support hurts no one , we are talking about her mother , my stepfather was on life support for 3 weeks , he just died last week while on support .

cowgirl1 cowgirl1
Aug '14

+ thousands, Rebecka -
yup my mom had a living will as did my dad and so do I.............if you don't have one, you are truly burdening your family with a needed decision and no authority to make it ---I think family should provide direction in matters of health, sickness, and death wishes - including direction for funeral or lack thereof..............

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '14

it was very important to me to respect my father's wishes. I asked him exactly what he wanted. I can't imagine not respecting his wishes but it still was hard to let go of the man that raised me.

No one can understand that pain of roll reversal of parent and child until they are faced with it. Countless times my father (and father in law) would apologize for being what they thought was a burden. We stayed by my father's side as he passed on, one of the single hardest things I have even done. The most important thing was he knew we were there for him. That last week of his life was probably the most important days with him because I knew that was all I had left. I am sure Melissa needs to process what is going on.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Aug '14

Thanks, Mariann for your post. We just returned from visiting friends and had the car radio on. There is still, according to the broadcast hope for Joan Rivers to recover so lets all keep her and her family in our thoughts and prayers tonight.

joyful joyful
Aug '14

WoW, I'm almost shocked by this thread. She's not dead yet.
I'm sure she has all the needed legal documents in place and I'm sure
Melissa is quite capable of dealing with her mother's situation.
Pulling the plug should be a private personal decision.

MikeL MikeL
Aug '14

I admit that I've never been a big fan of Joan Rivers/Melissa, but I do feel bad for Melissa. Melissa and her mom seemed very close and it kind of reminds me of my relationship with my daughter. I hope Joan pulls through.

positive positive
Aug '14

+1 positive - not a fan either, BUT...

I had a very lovely cousin who had a lot to live for that was struck down by a sudden medical issue. She was put on life support and after months of little to no hope of her recovery, her sisters and parents were trying to have her taken off life support whereas her husband refused to even consider the issue. After 18+ months of being confined to the bed, she (her skin) actually started to turn grey and as far as I know her husband never even allowed her to be taken of at that time.

While I know my cousin's husband started out with the best intentions, there is a point at which the survivor is only being selfish in trying to hold them to this mortal coil. In my own considered opinion, I think it's harsh at this point to say that Melissa is "in denial" or any other such thing. She has to come to terms with the possibility that her Mom won't survive and go from there to do whatever is in her Mom's best interests.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

Here we go with the Blame Game..

"The comedian's only child, Melissa Rivers, said in a statement Sunday that she is keeping her 'fingers crossed.' A source tells the Daily News that there is a concern that Joan Rivers' motor skills may be compromised, 'leaving her as either a vegetable or in a wheelchair.' Another source says the family is mulling legal action over the procedure that sent Rivers into cardiac and respiratory arrest: 'They are looking for someone to blame.'"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/joan-rivers-brought-medically-induced-coma-source-article-1.1923394#ixzz3C42F6K53

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Sep '14

we could be "a source" too and say whatever we want ----enough already............whatever happens will happen ---lets just take good care of ourselves her family will take care of her

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '14

Until you have been in this position - even with the discussions ahead of time - you really cannot judge what is going on with Melissa.

I had a very close and dear Aunt that had a directive and I was listed as the person to make that final decision if she could not. But it is not as simple and they are on life support and you know what they want, so you pull the plug (to say). You go through so much with the doctors and you are waiting for results of tests and waiting to see if what they are doing is working to see improvements.

For me the first 2 weeks in the ICU was a day by day event. We would start to see an improvement that if continued would get my aunt off life support. Eventually, she got off life support and was moved out of the ICU.

Unfortunately for us, a month later she took a turn for the worse and ended back in the ICU on life support. Again the process of waiting day to day starts again.

Just when we were getting to the part where there was not going to be hope of coming off the breathing machine, my aunt was coherent enough to inform the Doctors that she wanted to be removed from the breathing support. This was the end, but she was able to make that decision and take it off my shoulders.

My heart goes out to Melissa to be going through this. It is a horrible thing.

Coralie Coralie
Sep '14

Thank you for sharing, Coralie, I have also been in that situation in my family and no one else should have the right to tell you what to do or not do when that time comes..all you can do is pray that your loved one is able to make that decision themselves..

joyful joyful
Sep '14

I never thought I'd say this, but for once I agree with Mr. Negative. It's selfish to want your loved one to live in enormous pain and suffering because you are afraid to let them go to where everyone is going to go eventually. It's sad, naturally, but not really a tragedy.

If Melissa were still a child, or if Joan were considerably younger than she is now, it would be more appropriate to be sentimental about it, but to wish an old, sick person more time on this earth to live in pain and suffering because we don't want to grow up is selfish.

Anyway, I know I repeated myself. I made my point. It was a simple one, really. Nothing to get offended about. Thanks for listening.

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Sep '14

How do we know her condition?? How do we know what decisions were presented?
How do we know what her condition may be? Geeze - we're all doctors caring for Joan Rivers all of a sudden? Medical decision by internet?

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '14

I was in this position with my mother 3 1/2 years ago. It's so awful that's it's surreal. Even though I knew her wishes,she made them well known for years, it was still the hardest thing I've ever had to do. But I knew since she went without oxygen for 14 minutes before she was revived and put on life support, there would have been such brain damage that her life would have been hell on earth. So 24 hours later I had her removed and she passed on her own in 20 minutes. As hard as it was I was glad to have been able to be there with her in her final moments.Those final hugs and kisses and words and hand holding were so precious to me. I do have a clear memory of a "person" whether he was a nurse or what i have no idea...but when I came into the room and my mother was making noises (apnea) I was initially startled by the noise and said "what is this?" The piece of shit that was in the room said to me "This is what it's like...this ain't the movies folks." If I wasn't so out of it I would have reported him or thrown him out of the room or possibly attacked his insensitive ass.Not a memory I need to have associated with my mothers passing. I have about an hours worth of memory after that and then I have no recount until 24 days later. I assume it was some form of shock. She died the day before my birthday and the next day after that was Christmas. I have no memory of my kids opening presents or what they received...nothing...New year came and went with out me. I don't even know where I was in the house at midnight. So I can kind of relate to Melissa's position. As far as the "news" talking about denial...I think it's more like hope. And that's not a bad thing to have. Joan is in an induced coma. I don't know how long she went with out oxygen. I believe their is hope for her when they bring her out of the coma. She could very well be ok. She's tough, we all know that. And she loves to work and her family. She wasn't sick before this. My mother was very sick and had been suffering and in pain for 3 years before her death with many surgeries and end stage kidney failure. I really hope Joan comes out of it and if it turns out Melissa has to take her off life support I hope she has friends and other family that she's close to to help her through this. You really need a great support system after going through something like this. I'm sure she'll abide by her mothers wishes in the end.

jaemae jaemae
Sep '14

So sorry for your loss jaemae. It's a cloudy time to go through, or yes, you probably would have slammed that insensitive jerk.
I was annoyed at the original poster's attitude towards the daughter, Melissa. It's clear they are close, so making those comments were just cruel.
Jaemae take comfort in all the good thoughts. Peace be with your mom. I'm sure she was lovely.

BabyReply
Sep '14

Thank you Babyreply.My mom was pretty awesome..The OP was harsh and insensitive. Melissa Rivers doesn't need her mothers money..she has her own. She's a producer among other things. Not that that's anyone's business but their own. I can say without a doubt when you're mother is on life support and it's your decision whether she lives or dies....money is the last thing you're thinking about. I don't understand how people can be so insensitive either.. Having an opinion is one thing but to be so disgusting about it doesn't make sense to me.

jaemae jaemae
Sep '14

I do think that whatever inside "source" told the gossip pages that Melissa is in denial is a bonehead who should mind his or her own business. It's only been a couple days.

Sep '14

Jaemae - when a loved one is on life support and it is your decision as to whether they live or die, the last thing anyone SHOULD be thinking about is money.

That is how I felt when I was in that position. I had to weigh everything that the doctors were telling me including what would her life be like if she recovered - what is the best to hope for and what is the potential worse to be expected. I met with the doctors on a daily basis to walk through each step in the process. If during the first round of being in the induced coma the responses were that she would never recover, I would have let her go. But that was not the case with us.

Unfortunately, I had to go through all of this with my brother by my side that was only interested in how much money he would get when she died. I never felt more alone in all my life than I did going through those 2 months.

My thoughts are with Melissa and Joan during this time. Even with an advanced directive, many times it is not cut and dry as to what to do.

Coralie Coralie
Sep '14

I do recall a funny story about once my Aunt was out of the induced coma. I had been warned that she might have some memory issues and might not be as sharp as she had always been.

I went into her room and was talking to her. She was telling me that the night before there was a party on the floor (in the ICU) and that Cinderella came to visit her.

I thought - OMG - she is really far gone.

I mentioned this to the station nurse and they laughed and said that yes, there was a little party the night before for someone leaving and Dr. Cinderella (yes that was really his name) had come in to see her!

So what appeared to be showing a huge issue for us was actually showing just the opposite.

Coralie Coralie
Sep '14

" when a loved one is on life support and it is your decision as to whether they live or die, the last thing anyone SHOULD be thinking about is money" - true if we would be living in a country with free medical services. When it's about parents - they usually have their own health insurance including Medicare/Medicaid and there is no out of your own pocket payments. But when this is someone with whom you share medical insurance the things get more complicated, more costly and at the end more "rational" while people around become more judgmental about your decisions.

My point was in regards to money and Melissas' decision is.... I don't think Melissa is going to keep her mother on life support just to keep the money coming in as the OP referred to joan as a "golden goose". That's ridiculous for one and none of them are hurting for money or have to make difficult decisions that would normally effect the general population in the same situation...but I still stand by my experience...being it's so traumatic..most people couldn't care less about the costs of medical bills at the time. Those things will be taken care of eventually one way or another. The focus is usually on the pending loss of a loved one.

jaemae jaemae
Sep '14

people who have lost there mother knows how Melissa is feeling right, losing a mother is the worse thing in life, I lost my dad at the age of 22, yes it was sad but when I lost my mom at the age of 47 my world changed, she had a brain bleed and was on life support I always knew she wanted to be a organ donor, so when I told the doctors that, it was a whole new story they brought her blood pressure up, increased her heart rate everything to safe the organs, I was mad as hell, like wait why are they getting a second change and my mom didn't, as weeks went by I felted better and recognized she was able to help so many people but, those 48 hours were the hardest thing I every had to do, no body wants to lose there mother, so my prayers go out to Melissa right now.

Read they are slowly bringing her out of the coma should know more on Tuesday just how much damage was done to her brain...

Doesn't sound good for Joan - "being kept comfortable" still on life support. Sounds like a hospice type term.

"My mother has been moved out of intensive care and into a private room where she is being kept comfortable," the 46-year-old said in a statement. "Thank you for your continued support."

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/joan-rivers-moved-from-icu-to-private-room-171555702.html;_ylt=AszSLC3owLktSfi76gjIpHKbvZx4;_ylc=X3oDMTgxMjUwMGw1BF9TAzIwMjM1MzgwNzUEYQMxNDA5MDMgY2VsZWIgcml2ZXJzIGljdTIgdARhaWQDaWQtMzUwOTE0NwRjY29kZQNnYQRjcG9zAzkEZWQDMQRnA2FkNDZhZjc4LWFmMmYtMzI2Yy1iYWMzLTNiN2I2MGFkZGQwZQRpbnRsA3VzBGl0YwMwBGx0eHQDSm9hblJpdmVyc291dG9mSUNVBHBrZ3YDNARwb3MDMARyA0RRUldVc0FWTUV3bVBSMmx2Y0crTFJ1ZTNqMD0Ec2VjA3RkLWZlYQRzbGsDdGh1bWJsaW5rBHRhcgNjZWxlYnJpdHkueWFob28uY29tBHRlc3QDOTAx

RIP Joan

10yrtownie 10yrtownie
Sep '14

she was always great on the Stern show. RIP Joan

darwin darwin
Sep '14

I was never really a fan, but she was world famous for sure. RIP Joan.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

You happy now Mr Negative???

villani villani
Sep '14

So sad. Was she off life support? RIP

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '14

R.I.P. Joan Rivers....

joyful joyful
Sep '14

RIP Joan RIvers, you were one funny woman!

Christine Christine
Sep '14

Now she is at peace...

Thanks for removing the life support.

She had a Great life.

RIP Joan

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Sep '14

It so reminds me of my uncle in Feb and all of the issues around that. After he survived an operation, he had to go on dialysis because of his long time drinking. His breathing suffered and a ventilator was needed. But because of the dialysis they couldn't medically induce the coma that would have made his lungs stronger. So they sedated him but he was fighting the breathing tube. A vicious circle and delicate balance.

The final time they couldn't give him enough sedation for the ventilator so they woke him up fully for his daughter who flew in from England. They could have tried the same thing again, but at what quality of life? He would have been on dialysis the rest of his life with a bad liver, and on oxygen.

Anyone who thinks they know more haven't been through it personally. You get day to day advice from doctors who are guessing as much as you are. There's a time to try what you can. Then there's a time to just let. My cousin from England did that, and my aunt and other cousin sang hymns, I wasn't there myself but I was told he passed during "In the Garden".

RIP.

Agree with GC.
Yes, it is a personal family decision. Very easy for people to put their 2c in -- but it's none of their business. And now that Joan is gone, the media has shown no compassion or respect, following Melissa with their cameras.
Rest in Peace, Joan Rivers.

happiest girl
Sep '14

RIP Joan Rivers, great comedian!

sassi sassi
Sep '14

I thought her monologues were funny. I didn't care for her fashion critique humor. Overall, she made the most of her time on earth, while many wait for life to happen to them.

Rest in peace Joan Rivers. She made me laugh and I admired what a survivor she was and how she could re-invent herself and laugh at herself.

Chickadee Chickadee
Sep '14

So sad. Watch this YouTube video- it's a little "R" rated but funny nonetheless. It's a 'Happy' parody, which Joan rivers is in at the end.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O_DwMLUh1YQ
She will be missed. She was very funny and had such a busy schedule.

On another note, how did the title of the post change? I don't believe you can change on your own.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Sep '14

Regarding the earlier discussion of Melissa being "in denial".

Her father committed suicide, so that's allowed.

Sep '14

What I don't Like Leroy
She Abandoned her given last name (Rosenberg).
I find that totally rude and disrespectful and banking off of Joan.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.