Hackettstown Football

Does anyone have any information or news on how the Tigers made out in their scrimmage game today against Belvidere? I heard the defense needs a lot more practice..

big sports fan big sports fan
Aug '14

I don't know anything about today's scrimmage yet, but I do know they have been plagued the last couple of years by bad tackling fundamentals.

Simply put, they try to make "the big hit" and end up tackling air, and they don't wrap up.

In high school there are not that many "deep threats" that you need to mess around with cover two and nickel packages, etc.

You need flexible defenses that can cover the spread offenses that are all the rage today, play 4-3 instead of the old traditional 5-2, with more emphasis on covering the edges, you now need guys who can laterally sift through the mobile run blockers, and guys who make the tackle.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

Are you looking for news on the game....or the fight????

neighborhood watcher
Aug '14

There's already a thread for this.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '14

Poor tackling - yes. They don't play a 5-2 defense. I actually played for the coach who runs the defense and he is a 4-3 guy. I caught a bunch of their games last year and they ran the 4-3. You have to find a scheme that fits the kind of kids that you have and plan on getting in the future. If you have a couple of very good defensive linemen - and solid ends the 4-3 can be great. If you don't then it is hard to have success. If your program doesn't have a lot of size but does have some speed then just adjust work to your strengths.

Football fan Football fan
Aug '14

Hmm, what if the football player has detention on Saturday??

Hackettstown High School implements Saturday detention program (Headline from today's paper!)

acl76 acl76
Aug '14

Football and education going hand in hand...

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/every-football-player-read-plato/

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '14

Game scrimmage tonight 6pm at Newton who are a pretty decent team.

Tigerfan Tigerfan
Sep '14

Rootin Tootin Newton.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '14

You coming Andy?

Tigerfan Tigerfan
Sep '14

Does the team dress in black still?

Just wondering how we will tell the security guards from the team at the game?

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Sep '14

Writing about field hockey and tennis for my next column, guys.

Hey, wasn't that U.S. Open match between Kei Nishikori and the Stanimal, Stan Wawrinka, suspenseful and exciting? The little 10-seed outlasts the big rocket serving three-seed in five sets, in a match that took almost four hours. It included two sets that went to tie breakers.

Just call me Mr. Renaissance Man (-;

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '14

So what happen with the Newton Scrimmage,they really beat us pretty bad last year!Our we still running the 1970 offense?

Tigers looked pretty good ran option effectively very good downfield blocking provided room for a couple of nice long runs for td. They even threw for a td! Defense was solid. Need to work on turnovers and kicking game those are always early season worries. Overall first half convincing tigers were better almost 300 yards offense in half. Let's hope they build on it for opener next Saturday in Whippany.

Tigerfan Tigerfan
Sep '14

Andy, fell asleep for Wawrinka, so maddening. Caught the Jokester, was looking good but Murray lost steam. Last night Federer match was lots of fun, Monfils never played better and baffled Roger until he blew two match points and imploded. Go Roger, hope the ole guy pulls one more off. Did you see his sneaks? Has little trophies with a 5 on it on the heal. Stylish guy! After hours he was seen in his trademark colors drinking coffee in front of HHS (segue back to thread!)

Missed the ladies, but expecting Williams to fall and Wozniacki to rule the day. Hell hath no fury like a brooding Dane tennis pro dumped by her fiancé. Woz won't be at HHS due to dress code. Of course no women's tennis outfit would pass muster.

Women's semi's this afternoon.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Sep '14

Well, got assigned West Morris at Parsippany Hills for the 13th ... hopefully, by the time I see a Hackettstown game, they'll have that option and all the other aspects of the game mastered and I'll be watching a well-oiled machine.

Meanwhile, it'll be that West Morris Wing-T ... run right three yards, run left three yards, run up the gut ... five yards first down.

Eventually, when you're about to doze off and you least expect it ... 40-yard pass ... touchdown.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '14

Sounds good,kicking game is 1/3 of your game,keep up the good work !

You can do everything right for three quarters, and then one boo boo in the kicking game can put you behind the eight ball, just like that.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '14

Heartbreaker for the team tonight. 35-34 loss to Lenape Valley in overtime.

great game players really worked hard and came together on both sides of ball. new kicker is a great asset. Tough to lose to them 2 years in row on last plays both times. I liked the call going for win even after penalty. Hard one to take for them at least its a longer week to heal up and prepare for Dover away. Chins up boys much improved and its starting to show.

tigerfan tigerfan
Oct '14

Tigers are playing better,they are starting to compete. That's all you can ask for, it would be great if they could hit 500 ball this year !

They are starting to play better. It was a tough task last night because the Lenape Valley offensive line was very good. You could definitely see as the second half went on that they were wearing down the Tiger defense. Because of that I thought it was the right move to try to win it at the end - just too bad it didn't work out. (and that is the first time I have ever seen an official actually call a delay of game penalty on a point after attempt). Hopefully they can keep building for the rest of the season. If they continue to play like they have the past few weeks they may net a couple more victories. The last two weeks were pretty exciting games.

football fan football fan
Oct '14

Great game, sorry i had to miss the ending, The Tigers have been impressive in all four games this season, Offense seems to really be clicking nicely, Great job coaches and players this year!

Oct '14

Who are the Tigers playing this week ?

Tough loss Thursday night................need to work hard on the kicking game.
Missing extra points and easy field goals is a problem.

KMC77
Oct '14

They play Dover Friday nite, away game 700 pm start time

Oct '14

They had a new kicker - KMC77. They hit all four extra points. The first field goal attempt was an awful snap that rolled back to the holder. The winning field goal attempt was the only one the kicker missed.

Oct '14

Lenape is not a good team. They are dropping down to group 1. If rosters were reversed Smollen would of won 35-7. HHS lost 14 point lead in last 7 minutes. Kid makes first 2 tackles then doesn't play rest of game. Coach needs to play right kids and not listen to the noisey daddys. Team should be 4-0

Tiger 4 life Tiger 4 life
Oct '14

It takes years to build a program,and a village to make it happen!

The coach is immature and inexperienced. Spends too much time on the wrong things. The players do not function like a team, on and off the field. Their wins are against the weakest teams. The way they played against Lenape is how they played last year. They start out strong but lose energy towards the end. This is due to their poor conditioning. All things that are the coach's responsibility. They are a bunch of good guys just need the coach's
guidance to get it together.

Hack in town Hack in town
Oct '14

Kids respond to winning,winning program, winning conditioning,up to date offense, and defense,kicking game needs a real kicking coach! These things take money,and the town behind them! Maybe the team should drop down to group one? They may qualify , the numbers must be close ? The colleges look at how you run your program,how well coached the kids are,techniques,grades, conditioning,and track record.You may be a running back in group two with a 1000 yard season,a B" student,but your school is rated 150, or 200,makes a big difference on there choice.Will this kid be able to compete against group 4 or 5 school kids in college,do we give him 100,000 dollars,or do we give it to a group 4 or 5 student.That is why it takes a village to build a program,from the ground up!Nobody can complain about coaching when we put him there.A winning program, takes a total effort,from the little players to the high school,best of luck to the Coach, this is along road,and a lot of bumps !

Lenape valley is not a good team? Are you kidding me? They are good EVERY year. A down year for Smolyn is 6-3. They are a playoff team every year. They are a good team this year so I don't know how you can say that. And as far as dropping down to a group 1 - that has absolutely nothing to do with how good or not good a team is. They had 60 kids on that sideline. I think some people are in LaLa land when it comes to evaluating the talent in their own program.

Oct '14

If the rosters were reversed Smolyn would have won 35-7 ? WHAT ? I pull for this Tiger team but geez I don't know what some of you guys look at? 5'3 corners. 170 lb linebackers. I will say the Tigers play hard but that roster comment above - man for man- position for position - that Lenape roster is better. Maybe watch a little better before making statements like that

Oct '14

I saw the game. HHS has more talent. They had much better coach. If you think they had more talent and we had better coach then there is no argument

Tiger Townie Tiger Townie
Oct '14

We are now half way through the season,can we reach 500 ball?This is when your bench bails you out,you can not leave your defense on the field for that long. What are this weeks predictions? Let's see some scores post !

Not to burst your bubble about the above quote - LoBo - about how the school should possibly drop down to group 1 - but if I am not mistaken the enrollment is almost high enough to push them up to group 3. This is just what I had heard and I hope it is false. It might not change the division they are in because Jefferson is a group 3 but it would put them in a tougher playoff bracket - should they make it.

Oct '14

football fan,that would be very tough on those kids! They could never compete with group 3,program is to weak! Let's hope that doesn't happen!

I've watched every game the last few years. Anyone who doesn't see that this team is playing way better than the last 2 years either isn't being honest or doesn't know Football. Perfect team? No. Kids playing their butts off? Yes. Improving Program? Definitely.

As for size, just because you are a big kid doesn't mean you can automatically play football; you need to learn the game. Anyone who's played at a competitive level knows that. Maybe the big kids on the sideline aren't ready yet. Be Patient. Do you really think the coach is not going to give himself the best chance to win? Why would he not put his best 11 out there?

Try and remember when being critical people you are talking about 15/16/17 year old kids, not pro athletes.

Red Grange
Oct '14

Does anyone know where to find the varsity game schedule? Don't see it on the school website.

hktownie hktownie
Oct '14

The enrollment has HHS on the brink of Group 3 - football fan is correct

HockeyFan
Oct '14

hktownie, the schools website directs you here:

http://schedules.schedulestar.com/Hackettstown-High-School-Hackettstown-NJ/day/10-10-2014/

Not a terribly user friendly website, but it looks like all the info is there.

justintime justintime
Oct '14

hktownie -

Maxpreps has schedules, rosters and more:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/hackettstown-tigers-(hackettstown,nj)/football/schedule.htm

Red Grange
Oct '14

Further to critics above:

I guarantee the winner of this weeks Game will be the Tigers.

Red Grange
Oct '14

HHS plays Dover on Fri at their place. They have 3 bad losses (big margins) and Wallkill by 12. Looks like they are on par with Parsippany. Could be good game for the teams confidence after last weeks loss

Tiger 4 ever Tiger 4 ever
Oct '14

Responding to earlier post about a player making first 2 tackles of game and then not playing rest of game. If that is true than coach is not playing his best 11.

tiger ba
Oct '14

Sorry my predications haven't been so good last couple weeks i will also a declare a Tiger victory - Hackettstown Tigers. It may be good opportunity to rest many of the 2 way guys and get some others in to provide experience and game situation. The real test will be the following week, Hanover Park at home on the 17th. Thats a team to contend with- they run a spread no huddle O pass almost 40x a game. Someone earlier commented on our teams conditioning. That will be the game that tests the stamina and the passing D. I am actually hoping for bad weather to slow Hanover Park down a bit. Not looking past Dover, this team hasn't earned that, but they should be able to come away with a solid victory at Dover this Friday. Good luck.

tigerfan tigerfan
Oct '14

The HHS Band consistently performs great, is constantly improving and won 1st place this past weekend at a competition in Brick, NJ. Go Tiger Band!!!

Proud Parent Proud Parent
Oct '14

Don't underestimate Dover. They have two kids that they put back in the shotgun that can fly and they are not small up front.

Oct '14

Hockeyfan,sure hope we don't go to group 3 , that would really set the football program back a mile.

If they do have to move up to group 3 you would have to see if there is another school that is dropping down to a 2. If not then it would only be an issue for playoff groupings. Hackettstown would stay in the same division and play the same schedule - just would be in a different playoff bracket. Jefferson is in Hackettstown division and they are a group 3. It would really only hurt the program if they realign everything in the future - i think?

Oct '14

JV won yesterday. Freshmen are undefeated.

Red Grange
Oct '14

Red Grange, your right,the the JV,and Freshmen did well last year too,something happens when they get to varsity?Maybe it's something to take a look at ? They need a conditioning coach,like the other schools.The head coaches of other high schools, tell there kids, if your not playing another sport,then your in the weight room! That is how you become a 4th quarter team,and you can have a offense and defense,and don't have to go both ways.Now you have 22 kids playing, not just 11!

I hear you - Little League, Freshmen, and JV wins don't always translate to Varsity. And the last regime definitely lost the guys once they made Varsity. I don't see that happening with this new group - they are getting better each week.

As to the other points, they have a conditioning coach and they have both off season and in season workout programs. Even with that, very few, if any, Group 1, 2, or even 3 schools can have separate offensive and defensive units; there is normally not enough skilled players to have 2 distinct units without sacrificing talent.

Go Tigers!

Red Grange
Oct '14

Red Grange,

Like a few HHS parents have said before, although there is a weight room, approximately less thatn 1/2 use it when they have an off season/no other sport interference. You can see a lot of the team members huffing and puffing during practices and games as they are OUT OF SHAPE because they are not required to WORKOUT! Other high schools require weight room time or THEY GET SIDELINED...our boys just continue to play, not being able to keep up with the plays because they are not in shape. Possibly that is why there are MULTIPLE injuries at every level of this team? The boys that are getting injured are left wide open/unprotected as the line can't move fast enough to block.

Tiger Parent
Oct '14

The players should push each other into the weight room and all during the off season. That's the way we did it in the days gone by (80's). Why does the coach have to hold their hand? My Dad would have stuck his boot in my butt and made sure I was training in the off season if he thought I was dogging it. He didn't need to very often...we would pressure each other to be ready.

My question to all Tiger Parents: Was your kid in the weight room?

Red is right - the coach is going to put his best 11 out there, for self preservation if nothing else.

Glory Days
Oct '14

All football schedules can be found on the website gridironnewjersey.com
All time state records, league standings, schedules, and records for last ten years!

Oct '14

Glory Days you are spot on. If you got physically pushed around like they did in four or five games last year - and if they were concerned - they would have made the extra effort to get in that weight room so it wouldn't happen again. And that is what I meant a while back when I said there is a difference between football players and kids who play football. It can't all fall on the coach. I am sure he has the weight room open and some kids go and some don't. From reading the above posts I can say that if he made it mandatory some people would complain - and if he made it mandatory with attendance taken and with the stipulation that if choose not to show up you may not play like many other schools do - you would have many more on here complaining. Looks like he can't win either way ?

Oct '14

Football fan, your right,so we hope for a 500 season,you can't change what is!

With Parsippany Morris. Catholic , and Dover automatics a 500 season is assured

Tiger townie Tiger townie
Oct '14

Team lost to Dover last 2 years I sure hope they break that streak this Friday. Can't look past anyone.

Tigerfan Tigerfan
Oct '14

We need a great kicking game this week! Playing in Dover,can be tough,fans are crazy,and this team hits. This game should come down to the final minute! Let's see your scores, I'll go with 27 vs 28 Hackettstown!

I just dont understand how you can say Parsippany, Morris Catholic, and Dover are automatics ? There are no automatics. Dover won five games last year. Parsippany is much improved from last year. That's part of the problem. There are no automatics - especially for programs that are not perennial winners. Hackettstown won one game last year. Yes they have gotten better and are playing hard but you say that like this team wins their division every year. If the Madison fans said those teams were automatic W's then it is understandable - but for that to be said here, I think that is dangerous, and then everybody gets pissed come Saturday if it didn't work out. Like I said earlier - don't sleep on Dover. They have a lot of speed - and dont judge them by their losses. They have played tougher teams than this Hackettstown team has played so far this year. Good luck to the Htown Tigers

Oct '14

football fan, good point !

HHS should be 4-0. There is no argument there. They are I-3 with 3 blowouts. Automatic might of been too strong a word. Let's say I really like HHS chances

Oct '14

Rain on the way,struggle in the air tonight,score change, 13-12,coin toss !

Yes they should be 4-0 but they are not! that's the difference between a quality program and a mediocre team!

wally85 wally85
Oct '14

Good Luck , on the 4-0 , they have beat last years record though! By 100%

Tigers better luck next time,keep clawing!

Who are they playing this week ?

They are playing Hanover Park. The easy part of schedule is finished. The coach is outclassed by all the opposing coaches. Discipline is gone as players are standing on sidelines with helmets off and flirting with stat girls. Team has no passing attack and a predictable running game. If coach doesn't change team will finish 2-7. This is unacceptable as team should be at worse 4-1. Lenape and Dover both had nice passing games. Coach needs to shake things up right now as there are no tomorrows. Season hinges on next game

Oct '14

Tigers win at the lower levels,it seems once they get past the freshmen team,they have trouble! We get a new coach every few years,and still have the same problems?Best of luck Tigers,

HHS got this last coach on the real cheap. You get what you pay for. If you are a real good young football player you should look elsewhere

Oct '14

Man, this is harsh. Your screen name is Tiger 4 ever and you are telling good young players to look elsewhere.

Oct '14

I've watched the replays of several of the games on Hudl... Time and time again I watch #84 being wide open near the end zone not a soul around him& he gets passed over for the throw. I wish they would throw the ball more.

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Oct '14

I apologize Football Fan. If you have an extremely talented young football player maybe this is not the school for you. Time and time again they disappoint I did not mean to disrespect the school or players just the failed leadership

Oct '14

Just from reading the posts I can see the frustration. Your point above did get me curious. From the stats it kind of looks like the program has had only 2 or 3 above .500 records since 2002? - and I believe that span is 3 head coaches. Do a lot of kids go to other schools to play - like Pope John ? If they do then that would explain some of the issues. Its hard to try to pinpoint the problems. I have seen most of their games this year. They play hard and battle. They are never the biggest or the fastest but they seem to battle. There are definitely too many turnovers and like H-town Mama said above we wish they would pass more - but when they do it is somewhat of an adventure - lacking accuracy...

Oct '14

When you look at Delbarton,Seton Hall Prep,Pope John,Blair Academy,etc,they have real programs,they are winning,kids want to win,and want to go to college.Plus there other sports are winning.Plus you get a first rate education! They go out and get there coaches,based on there teaching and coaching! This is the way you can build a program! Our teams battle,but three yards and a cloud of dust,went out with the caveman! Any team can have a losing season,but from 2002 to 2014,losing , can only hurt sign ups! It is up to the parents to make the changes,the school is not changing,we are the tax payers,we pay them ! Example, if you are a running back,and you ran for 500 yards at HHS,how many yards could you get running for a good program,1000,1500,etc.Send that running back to West Morris,or private school,and you will see the difference.the same with a receiver.if your kids can catch, go to a school that throws the ball ! Unless you want to wait another 12 years to maybe win !

LoBo -

You do realize that the schools you mention are private which can and do recruit from all over - in state and out. That's why they have such programs. Further you can't "send " your kid to any public school you want. In the absence of extenuating circumstances, you need to stay in your district. If you are caught going to another school for athletic advantage you endanger your own career and the schools program.

As for Our Tigers, Coach Robinson is in his second year and the Team has definitely improved this season. Dover game they were flat - it happens. Let the season run its course. If at the end of the year the parents want change they should en mas approach the Board of Ed and the Superintendent. Don't bother with the AD.

Just be careful what you wish for...

Bronko Nagurski
Oct '14

LoBo DON'T EVER compare Delbarton,Seton Hall Prep,Pope John,Blair Academy,etc to Hackettstown in football. Bronko has stated the main reason why you can't among other reasons

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Oct '14

Your both right,over and out ! Best of luck vs Hanover!

To compare is just not far to HHS, is all I am saying

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Oct '14

fair, sorry

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Oct '14

As with most public schools the pool of good athletes is usually limited. If a school like Hackettstown has a top rated soccer program, chances are the kids that are the best athletes will be on the soccer team, not the football team.

Schools that have a great football program will normally have a mediocre soccer program. You often see that in the winter, when the wrestling program excels, the basketball program struggles.

Private school address that by recruiting athletes, which exacerbates the small pool issues public schools face.

It's not fair, but it is why public and private schools are seldom ranked in the same conference.

Agust Agust
Oct '14

Agust, there are public schools with solid sport programs,it all starts with the A D ,they need to be supportive and creative.The A D will bring in a outside coaches, that can rebuild a program.A good example is North Warren high school.The coaches in there football program came from Lenape valley high school, and turned that program around.Hanover Park did the same thing,which will be playing Hackettstown tonight! Like anything else,once a company or High school steps out of the box, good things happen,better turn out,better teams,better colleges,happy parents,happy town! You know the definition of insanity, doing the same thing the same way and expecting different results .

Hackettstown 27, Hanover Park 26.

Great comeback win Tigers! Let's keep it going!

Glory Days
Oct '14

It was a great game and an awesome night to be outside !

BrandyB BrandyB
Oct '14

It was very exciting. The Tigers came out ready for this one. The offense looked better and we thought the defense played great. The score really doesn't tell the story of what the defense did. Hanover park had a 100 yard interception return for a touchdown and then on the next drive the Tigers fumbled in their own end zone and Hanover Park recovered for another touchdown. As they have done all season, the tigers continued to battle and came all the way back to grab the win. Great job tonight

Oct '14

Tigers needed that win,keep fighting,there is hope in the war chest !

Nice win

Tiger Townie Tiger Townie
Oct '14

Who can pick tonight's score- Tigers vs Jefferson , big win over Hanover last week!

Won't pick a winner or score but it should be another good game. Regardless of the record I think every game has been pretty good. It is good to see that they have been in every game so far - and have given themselves chances to win - and I think that is what you ultimately want.

Oct '14

Hackettstown won in a resounding way 34-18 what a great season the Tigers are having, could be in line for a State Playoff Berth at 4-3!

Oct '14

Yes and Dover beat Lenape !

A team with a 4-3 record can make it to the play offs ? When my son played in the early 90's you were lucky if you made it with 1 loss. I guess they changed the formula or something !

Mariann Mariann
Oct '14

@big sports fan
With all due respect to all the players, coaches and parents that give their blood and sweat and tears to the program, to say the varsity football team is having a "great" season is somewhat of an overstatement.

lollipopz
Oct '14

You are right Mariann, it was tough to make states back then, I think they only took four teams in each section. Now they include more teams/ rounds.

nice write up in today's NJ Herald about the team

http://www.njherald.com/story/27016038/2014/10/25/hs-football-tigers-turnaround-has-been-remarkable

tigerfan tigerfan
Oct '14

They need to worry about trying to pull a shocker and upset Madison. Then worry about what the points are and where the end up. This is a steep hill to climb.

Oct '14

That whole division is up & down this year,Madison is tough, but are they healthy,The best bench wins this one !

The division is a little crazy this year and I hope they pull the upset. Madison is the one team that has been up for the last 4 or 5 years. Every year is different and each team is different but if you looked at the scores of their last 5 games against Madison it looks like a very tough chore. (42-14, 48-7, 60-21, 62-28, 41-0) Hopefully they will build on the last 2 weeks. maybe this is the year they go out and get them.

Oct '14

Anyone know the madison score

Did H'town win?

TigerFan3
Nov '14

Lost 27-13 was tied 13 at half but Madison in the end controled line of scrimage both ways and took over. H town had some chances but had a fumble and turn over on downs in red zone killed two scoring opportunities. All in all tough game couple of injuries unfortunately for tigers - with Lincoln upset win power points don't favor home town tigers to make playoffs - wait and see now.

Tigerfan Tigerfan
Nov '14

Hackettstown LOst 27-13 game was tied 13-13 at halftime

Nov '14

They will finish 10th in points. Nothing to wait and see. Newark central won and moved into top 8 with a points game still to play. Caldwell also still has their 8th game to play. From the points it looks like the tigers will finish 10th and Dover 9th. They had a few chances. Gained a little momentum when they returned an interception about 70 yards for a touchdown to tie it at 13 and then stopped Madison down by the goal line just before halftime. They battled to the end but like a few said in posts about 3 weeks ago - much of this game was won and lost in the WEIGHT ROOM. Tiger fan is absolutely correct in saying that Madison controlled the line of scrimmage. Maybe this offseason they will learn from these games and work on getting stronger. The team has taken big strides from last year to this year and working on getting stronger may put them over the top. Good luck at Warren Hills - let's finish the season on a positive note.

Nov '14

I was at the game Saturday,two coaches were talking about group changes,seems Lenape is going to group one,Jefferson to group two, Hackettstown to group three,etc.I guess we will see what goes on next year.The weight room better get busy !

I don't think that will change anything in their schedule. They will probably stay in the same division and play the same schedule as they did this year. The only thing that will change will be the playoff grouping that they are in.

Nov '14

Where is the Tiger vs Streaks being played ?

Re: Hackettstown Football

Hackettstown @ Warren Hills - Friday, November 7, 2014.

Time: 7:00 pm

Directions:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?address=41+Jackson+Valley+Rd&city=Washington&state=NJ&zipcode=07882&redirect=true

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Nov '14

Re: Hackettstown Football

11/7/2014 - Warren Hills vs. Hackettstown game summary & photos:

http://highschoolsports.lehighvalleylive.com/news/article/-7009797423843085844/warren-hills-football-team-blanks-hackettstown-see-photos/

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Nov '14

Build on this year Coach,you had a up hill battle,now let's get in the weight room!

Build on this year Coach,you had a up hill battle,now let's get in the weight room!

LoBoLoBo

The weight room does not bring victory. Talent brings victory. If H'town is in the weight room and are playing a team that is also in the weight room, what wins the game.........TALENT. Not saying that H'town doesn't have talent, just saying lifting weights does not make a team good. After all doesn't the Jets lift weights?

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '14

Clyde Potts,these kids are playing both ways,and need more conditioning,what are you trying to say ? What would be your plan for a good season?

I don't have a plan (and don't care). Most High School teams have a number of players that play both ways. Conditioning is not lifting. Its wind sprints, its running a mile after EVERY practice. Even doing that does not mean you win games. Talent wins games
The great John Wooden always said he’d take talent over experience any day. As long as you’ve got the right guys, and they are talented, and they are committed, and they care, and you can teach them quickly and you ask them to do the right things and don’t try to make them do things they’re not capable of, or overload them, then you have a chance.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '14

is that all Clyde? lol
your post made me think of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

Warren hills freshmen football defeated Hackettstown Friday 14-0 to go 9 and 0.First undefeated Warren Hills freashman football team since 1965.

Clyde Potts, conditioning is weight lifting,and speed and agility , and doing a 12 month program, because that's what it takes today. I'm sorry you don't care,that team could use your fire in the belly!

Another year not playing in states. This was not expected this season. All the kids and parents knew this group had talent size and speed. What the heck happened?

tiger Townie tiger Townie
Nov '14

Where is this talent you are speaking of? Because of a few big plays? Takes more talent then we have to put together full games then full seasons. Talent looks great when we are beating teams that are the bottom of the barrel. And it makes us all feel good.

Where is the size you are speaking of? Sorry just dont see it.

Speed? Dont see that either. Remember sitting in the stands and everyone would clamor at Wogou's speed. "Going to go Div. 1" I heard, "the kid is great" I heard. Then I saw him get chased down from behind by a teams middle line backer. No Div1 back is getting caught from behind by a MLB.

I think this town has no idea what it takes to win. No idea the dedication. No idea the resources needed by the program. No idea what is required to sacrifice to win. Look at the youth program. Nuff said. Change it from the bottom up. Get people that have the desire to win, not just have fun. Build winning character, build the expectation to win. Then go do the work required.

tired of it all
Nov '14

Tired of it all, I agree with your post. By talent I meant in relation to our conference which is extremely weak

Nov '14

Can someone please tell me, why for the third consecutive year Hackettstowns athletic director has refused to let Hackettstown play in the state Consolation Football games, thus ending all the Seniors careers a week sooner than they expected and thus will finish the year with a losing record when they could have been a 500 team????

Nov '14

Best and most realistic post on this thread - thank you tired of it all. I keep reading about the talent and the size and the speed they have had. So it must be the coach's fault. They were smaller than just about every team they played. And it has been like that for years. As for the conference being weak - well the division has 3 teams in the playoffs. Dover barely missed out. As far as the parsippany's, the Morris Catholics, the Whippany parks - that is about where the talent level is at. Yes they played well for most of the year and pulled the upset over Hanover park and defeated a down Jefferson team but I feel that they did play to their talent level. They have a kick returner with exceptional speed - but didn't see very much speed anywhere else. They had one lineman with size. This is not a knock or put down but have to agree with the thoughts of tired of it all. They lost to Lenape and Dover and this forum lit up with negativity. Then they beat Hanover park and Jefferson and crickets on here. Somebody even said Lenape wasn't a good team. Well they finished 7-2. I wouldn't mind not being good and finishing with that record. They did start the building this year and hopefully carry it into next season.

Nov '14

Lenape has an exceptional coach who has been around a very, very long time.

lollipopz
Nov '14

Big sports fan, great question,Tigers could have used that consolation game to build on! Hackettstown athletic director has no clue what it takes to build a program.Turn the page,the seniors worked hard,and should have played.What message is he sending to the players coming up?

LoBo - he is sending the message that not all participants get a "trophy" for participation. This generation of kids are so used to getting a trophy or ribbon just for participating even if their team didn't win. They need to get used to not getting everything they want. What happens when they enter the real world and don't get the job they applied for?

People with this type of attitude are one of the many things wrong with youth sports.

mjd31 mjd31
Nov '14

Don't know MDJ consolation games have been around for a hundred years that is why the are called consolation games. There is no big deal in giving kids an extra game

Nov '14

The problem was they built program on wrong players. They had fastest kid in conference only playing one way. They had a safety who was "player of the game" in Warren Hills playing basically one way and they had 2 sophomores with better arms than anyone on roster never getting into game. Poor coaching

Nov '14

Also the consolation games gives a coach a chance to play and see what he has coming back next season. mjd31, although I agree with your get a "trophy" for participation comment when a trophy is given out just for playing, there are no trophies given to the consolation winner or loser. As Tiger 4 ever stated conso games have been around for years. The NCAA Tournament aka March Madness once had a conso game. Unless a team is playing in the NCAA football national championship game, all the other Bowl games in theory are just conso games. You also said "They need to get used to not getting everything they want " I don't think ANY player on H'town or any other team WANTS their team to play in a conso game as opposed to playing for a championship. So they are not getting what they want.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '14

I guess we can all play Monday quarterback,but the Coach in all fairness did give us all a better game to watch this year! It takes a village to build a program,all of us who played football understand this.The key here is to put the man in charge who is going to call the shots! We need to run the same offense and defense from Pee Wee through high school varsity.This is the way of great programs,a little more of everything every year,to train these kids all over again,when they get to high school,is backwards thinking.This will be the problem,as long as ego's get in the way.Just imagine as a freshman coach, getting a tackle with 5years of experience going into your freshman year,a running back with 5 years experience , etc. These kids go from wing -t football, to triple option,from a 5-4 defense,to a 4-5,to a 4-4,without technique.I see kids still catching the ball with there body all through midget level, instead of there hands.Good basics , make good ball players,everyone on the same page,is the key.

Agree an extra week of practice would help the program - stupid to decline an additional game. That's why college coaches love bowl games gives them 3 weeks to a month of practice time and keeps the team together.

As far as running the same offense from grade school to high school don't necessarily agree - it sounds good on paper but on paper it would be hard for pee wee's to run an option offense.

You have to find a qb that can read a defense & either keep or pitch the ball & you need a kid who can catch the ball. It could be a disaster for 8 or 9 year old kids & you need to extensively practice the offense which these younger levels don't have the practice time to run it successfully .
imo

"I think this town has no idea what it takes to win. No idea the dedication. No idea the resources needed by the program. No idea what is required to sacrifice to win. Look at the youth program. Nuff said. Change it from the bottom up. Get people that have the desire to win, not just have fun. Build winning character, build the expectation to win. Then go do the work required.

tired of it al"

What? The TSA has winning teams throughout its program. Why knock them? Check your facts TOIA.

That said, HS is a whole different level and it doesn't necessarily translate.

Longtime Townie
Nov '14

So can i assume "tired of it all" we can expect to see you as a volunteer coach for TSA next year?

darwin darwin
Nov '14

The talk is about the fastest kid in the conference only playing one way? Some suggested he should be used at RB. Did you ever think that maybe he couldn't make it as a RB and thats why he was a receiver and kick returner? Playing RB is a whole different world than returning kickoffs. The safety who was the player of the game at Warren Hills is also a RB - I believe? I don't know but could it be possible that he wasn't one of the two best RB's on the roster? The two sophomore QB's with the best arms - they run a triple option offense - and from watching their games this year is it possible that those two sophomores were not better at running the ball, running the offense, and taking the pounding that the starting QB took ? Just questions to ask before making statements - maybe they are true and maybe not but i guess unless we were in the locker room we really wouldn't know.

Nov '14

RU, if you practice it from the time your 8yrs old, you would know when to pitch the ball, and how to read the defensive end.If you do this your quarterback stays healthy.That is the point.Practice should be divided in thirds, 1/3 offense skills,1/3 defense skills, 1/3 kicking game.As you noticed both TSA,and the high school have no kicking game.Both programs lost games because of it.This is no point to this, things will be the same,and we will be the 500 ball team, on a good season!

Why not bring back Chot Morrison's single wing? It won state championships.

Listen (Mike Francesa always says that), give the option some time ... you can't keep changing the system every year, then the kids will REALLY get confused.

Defense is what wins championships, anyway ..

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '14

Right again Andy!

I agree with Andy, championships are won with defense. One of the last successful teams at HHS (the 2005 squad that finally beat Warren Hills and won a state playoff games) did it with strong defense. They only gave up more than 17 pts three times.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Nov '14

Only 2 seasons above 500 since 2002 is a disgrace. HHS is borderline group 3. Only way this coach goes to states is if he buys ticket. Hire a real coach Smollen goes 8-1 with this group do not blame youth program. Look at the other boy sports. They win. Why don't we? Being happy with 4wins is really a low ceiling

Nov '14

Wow. Why do you fire off at this coach. You say only 2 seasons above 500 since 2002. That means that the last 2 head coaches before him also were no good. I get it if a program goes south with one coach but when it is poor for three consecutive coaching staffs over 12 years then maybe it isn't the coach ? And it isn't fair to compare him or this program to Don Smolyn. The man has coached for 35 years and won 8 or 9 state titles. I know for a fact that in the past 12 years htown has had more talented teams than this years squad and won less than 4 games.

Nov '14

Thats the problem football fan. 4-5 and your happy

Nov '14

This coach needs to take a look at his talent,the kids coming up move right in to key positions,take a look at what talent you have.Just maybe your guard could be a running back,your tackle a tight end,etc.You need to find a kicker,but the real coach develops what he has.What is the soccer team doing right,what is the band doing right,when you look to the sidelines and see ball players with helmets off talking to fans and girls during a game, something is wrong.Basics are missing,short yardage , no heavy weight package,why not?Why would a coach play his quarterback on defense,when there is a shortage of QB'S ! Why are they arm tackling at high school level?

LoBo I commend you for your passion for HHS football. But you have to remember, this is high school. Some of your points are a lot to ask for a high school team:

You need to find a kicker -

Where? This is not NCAA or NFL, where you have the pick of the whole country and beyond. You only have the pick of HHS students, and only those that go out for football.

no heavy weight package,why not? -

Again you can only play with what you have.

Why would a coach play his quarterback on defense,when there is a shortage of QB'S ! -

Most HS teams do this. Usually the QB is one if not the most athletic player on the team thus he plays both ways. Last week on ESPN, there was a HS game featuring one of the top 75 players in the country. The kid was a QB/DL

Why are they arm tackling at high school level?

Same can be asked about the NCAA and NFL

Not knocking what you are saying, I am just saying its HS.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '14

Great point LoBo. Soccer team is in SECTIONAL final third. Baseball team lost on fall baseball FINALS to Mount Olive highest ranked team on Morris County. Basketball team has one of toughest non league schedule on state along with Florida Tourney and some football parents are happy with 4 wins with 3 coming vs teams with combined 3 -24 records. You don't need a village and a campfire song along you need a real coach. Feel bad for seniors

Nov '14

For all those bitching about kids not being big enough or strong enough… How about you take your son to the gym and work with him. I do that with my son. We have an offseason regime we just started for baseball season. It’s helping me live a healthier lifestyle and I’m teaching him how to work out and get to bond with him. In the end we both benefit from it. Don’t put it on the coaches to make sure your kid is strong. That's the parents and kids job. Coaches expect the kids to come into a season in shape. They shouldn’t be holding the kids hands to make sure they lift weights.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '14

"Great point LoBo. Soccer team is in SECTIONAL final third."

There's your problem. You've become a soccer school. No wonder your football team isn't that good. Look at P'burg... their soccer teams are historically awful because all the best athletes go out for football and they also have a much larger enrolment to draw from. It's tough for a school with an enrolment of only 700 to field top quality teams at both sports.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

See you next season,same comments i'm sure !

Not once in any post did I say I was happy with their 4-5 record. I believe I stated that it was good to see that they were right there in every game, I believe that I said the games were more exciting than last year. I enjoyed going to watch the games this year. Never mentioned anything to be happy about with a 4-5 record. Everybody has different views on these forums and everybody sees things in a different light. Nobody is an expert on here. Do I wish they won a couple of more games - of course. Could people say they should have beaten Whippany Park and Lenape Valley - Yes. You can also say they could have lost to Morris catholic and Hanover Park. Thats why they play the games. I sat and watched the games. I might be wrong or I might be realistic but it is just my opinion - and I guess it is way different from those who live and breathe in that town. I am just saying that from what I watched that they had a good season based upon the talent that I saw. I didn't see the talent of an eight win team. I guess I am in the minority so I will stay off this forum

Nov '14

Soccer Athletes and Football Athletes are normally 2 different type of skill sets. Not too many soccer players quit their HS team to play football, nor vice versa.

Longtime Townie
Nov '14

No, you're not going to take a kid who has been playing soccer all his life and hand him a football, nor vice versa. In most cases, it's way too late for that as they've been devoted to something completely different for far too long.

But, if all of the good and great athletes that are on the soccer team had been playing football all their lives instead, there would be a pretty significant talent increase on the football team, especially at the skill positions. The best athletes on the soccer team would have made good backs and receivers and defensive backs, if that's what they had devoted their athletic training to.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

Longtime Townie, Football just wants there kickers,most do come over from soccer, when they learn they can get a full ride in football on there foot.Football is not for everyone,soccer can be, that's why there is such a turn out.

A concern I've always had about high school football is that there are not enough real football players out there ... that's especially evident when Phillipsburg wins games by scores like 61-0.

I'll admit back in the day I was just a basketball player wearing a football uniform ... the coaches wanted me to play because I've always been a big guy, but not everybody is a football player.

If a kid is better at soccer, that's fine, that's a great sport, too. Lots of local football players get lacrosse scholarships and that's fine by me. I'm looking forward to the Tigers building that lacrosse program.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '14

Andy,

I have just the boys and girls head coaches that have applied to do such that. Lets hope they take my recommendations. The HS starts the interview process next week.

P.S. So is half the town of Hackettstown looking forward to LAX!!!

The first year of the youth program has big sign ups from both girls and boys grades 3-8 and so does the high school

Anthony DInnocenzio Anthony DInnocenzio
Nov '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.