Local Politicians Seen Arguing

This evening, about 3 hours ago I experienced something that I didn't think could happen in "our little town". I was in a local restaurant with my family. I was sitting in a booth with my wife and 2 children when I noticed a verbal altercation going on just a few feet away from us. One of the people involved I recognized as a school board representative, and the other as a State representative from our district. I saw the school board representative using abusive laguage towards the other man, who was seated with his wife whom I also recognized.The school board rep was with his wife and children, and as I stated before I had my two children with us as well. My children clearly heard this man call the other man first a "troll" and then a "j" off as he was heading out the door with his family. I then had to try and explain to MY children what may have been happening as they couldn't help but see and hear the whole thing. Fortunately, my children did not know who these people were, and were only frightened by what seemed to be a confrontation between two grown men. At this point I have to say that there seemed to be only one clear antagonist, and that would have to be the school board rep, as the other man calmly remained seated and had nothing to say in response.

I came home and started to think .... is this what politics has evolved to? That even at a local level we have people so deeply pitted against one another that we can't even have a night out with our families? That we have to be concerned that someone may be shouting obscenitites to another, when they too are with their own family ... in the safety of their own home town? How did we get to this point? What in the hell is going on with the School Board that could create such tension between these two factions? Can anybody help me understand this? BTW I have two children that would like to know as well.

Steven Wagner Steven Wagner
Aug '14

Wow! It's like a movie but real!

Do you think it was staged? Like maybe for a show like Candid Camera, Punk'd or What Would You Do? They might do that. Otherwise, I would advise you to contact the press, probably a tabloid magazine. Or, if you want to be good and honest, contact them or their office and complain. It's up to you, you may be one of the few witnesses. . Good luck, and I hope your children (no jokes) aren't emotionally scarred.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Aug '14

Give me a break you have never seen adults argue before?

Darwin Darwin
Aug '14

When you become politically involved in anything it is professional not to act that way in public Darwin, especially not in the town in which you work

It seems the conversation got the best of him and he lashed out without thinking who else may of been listening

Darrin Darrin
Aug '14

See the Aaron Burr vs Alexander Hamilton duel...lol

Sitting Vice President of the United States shot and killed the former Secretary of the Treasury right here in NJ....now that is a political disagreement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burr%E2%80%93Hamilton_duel

Leave it to New Jersey to have politicians sink to new lows ... it's been happening a long time.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

"Leave it to New Jersey to have politicians sink to new lows ."

That's a pre-requisite just to *be* a politician in NJ.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '14

It's Preston Brooks all over again! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Aug '14

Well Mr. Wagner I will apologize to you and your family. I will NEVER apologize to the person whom I directed the comments to. As for understanding why -earlier in the month the roles were reversed in a much harsher confrontation where I was called several names along with disparaging comments toward district employees. That along with horrible remarks about hires in the school district were totally uncalled for by the assemblyman. The school board attorney and full board were notified along with the district personnel whom the other party made these disparaging remarks towards. (not too hard to figure who received the brunt of those remarks or why- especially if you know about HS Athletics) We have considered filing ethic violations against the assemblyman for the comments he made which were rude and indecent as well as effecting district personnel with someone who oversees that persons future continued employment. So there you have it- two sides to every story. No excuses, sorry that you had to witness my pure distain for this person. Next school board meeting is Sept 17 7 pm.

Gus Bordi Gus Bordi
Aug '14

Shame on you Mr. Bordi. Grow up! If you "adult" men (boys) want to act like children, take it somewhere private. Who are to disturb others dinner and use bad language in front of peoples kids? What a great role model you are!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Aug '14

Way to go Gus!!!!!!!!

neighborhood watcher
Aug '14

It's just politics as usual. This was cut from todays Ledger.

TRENTON — Assemblyman John Wisniewski, (D-Middlesex) who’s thinking about introducing a bill to renew and even expand New Jersey’s red light camera system, may want to go looking for some new co-sponsors.
Back in 2007, Wisniewski's bill to authorize the pilot program – which will expire in December – had just four sponsors.
Of those, two – former Assemblyman Joseph Vas (D-Middlesex) and former state Sen. Joe Coniglio (D-Bergen) – wound up in prison for corruption.
The Auditor found this noteworthy because one of New Jersey’s two red light camera operators, Redflex, is engulfed in its own corruption scandal. Its former CEO was indicted this month for allegedly paying off Chicago officials for contracts. A whistle blower in the company stated that it bribed municipal officials in 13 states, including New Jersey. The whistle blower did not say the corruption was tied to the bill creating the red light traffic camera program.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

Wonder who the assemblyman was.....

me too, wonder who was the assemblyman, does anyone know?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '14

probably DiMaio

hobo
Aug '14

I read in history books that politicians were referred to as The Honorable so & so for giving time out of there life to serve. In my life time I refer to them as Social Engineers playing with the pawns for there own goals. I just had to figure out how to survive in there culture. We did have tariffs at one time to keep jobs home. It's a lot harder today for the young survive in the world culture where we find ourselves today and carrying the debt they start out with. I remember when a Million dollars was a fortune I never imagined what trillion was.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

stand up to bullies, don't let them get away with their bullish behavior, i generally support the underdogs in this life, many times they get intimidated and shut down by the bullies out there,

too many bullies are roaming freely in the hackettstown area, and it needs to be curbed, i just don't care for it . . . .

boe's and local politicians need to be watched, and monitored closely by the tax paying public that they work for and who puts them in office, so that they don't throw out the baby with the bath-water

get involved, stay involved, and . . . . stand up to bullies whenever, wherever they rear their ugly heads.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '14

Several very quick comments.

It's almost surprising *not* to see things like this. Look at the board itself and a few of the ridiculous few who thing they just have to out shout and out wait the others to get their childish way.

If you're surprised by that, then just read half the political posts here. Not even close to civil, and that's not even the posts that don't make it to the light of day after the name calling and bad language...

Would also agree this is nothing new.

Also waiting for a cousin to post telling us we're all wrong, we're idiots, and don't forget to shop at the right places. Just more of the same.

Gus - Thanks as BD said for being a stand up person.

There is nothing about anything other than decency here. Extreme politicians in NJ all suck. Doesn't matter party or whatever, they all have one thing in common, suck the system dry. My friend is not that type. Unfortunately he is a lone soldier in the local education swamp here in our town. Our leaders (pour choice of word) should be ashamed of what they represent and do for the position they have been given by us the people. They all need to take a minute to reflect on why they are where they are at today.

Poor children probably scarred for life.

Firefly Firefly
Sep '14

what's the issue with dimaio? i thought he was a stand up guy, am i wrong?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '14

You're wrong.

seenit
Sep '14

please explain

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '14

dimaio is still a stand up guy as far as i can tell, no one has presented any reasons why not.

seenit: what did you see? explain.

new jersey needs a new breed of politicians who truly represent the citizenry.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '14

Politicians that represent the citizenry ? hahahahahahaha Excuse me but that is a bizarre thought. Do you still believe in the fairy godmother too ?

jerseycash5
Sep '14

i agree with you jerseycash, but i think we need to elect candidates who truly represent the citizens who voted them into office

i see that seenit has no explanation for why they say i am wrong, don't think i am wrong, dimaio is a stand up guy as far as i can tell, i'm glad he is trying to represent the citizens who voted for him. that's what stand up guys do.

the local boe needs to know that we are watching what they do and how they behave. town councils/committees also need to be reminded that they represent the taxpaying citizens and they need to be more mindful about spending our tax dollars.

taxes are too high and no one is doing anything to stop the increases. always increasing taxes, never thinking that they are pushing good people out of the community, or caring for that matter

it's just not right

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '14

I dunno, a 2% cap in a 3% inflation world seems like a step in the right direction albeit being the right thing done the wrong way.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Sep '14

Dimaio has had an ax to grind against the BOE because several years back, his wife was not rehired as field hockey coach at the high school. She was not a teacher, just hired as coach, and there were NUMEROUS complaints from players and parents about her coaching methods.

bruce juice
Sep '14

just curious Brother Dog but do you think elected candiates should represent ALL citizens in their town/district/state/ect or just the ones that voted for them? Just a question in general, nothing to do with Dimaio

darwin darwin
Sep '14

"just curious Brother Dog but do you think elected candiates should represent ALL citizens in their town/district/state/ect or just the ones that voted for them?"

It is impossible to represent *all* voters in every issue.

Representatives should vote the way the majority of their constituency wants regardless of their own personal feelings (they are elected to represent, not dictate) as long as what the constituency want does not violate any tenets of the Constitution, since the elected representative's primary duty is to protect the rights enumerated within that document.

In other words, they should be a selfless, humble servant upholding the foundations on which this country was established.

But I guess it's just easier to cut backroom deals to pad their own egos and wallets at the expense of the taxpayers.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '14

darwin - how would one know who voted for who ? it's a secret ballot.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '14

Also, the illegals don't vote. :)

neighborhood watcher
Sep '14

maybe this will help clear up the original intent of the this thread. I was there at the Moose Lodge the night Mr Bordi referred to and how this all started in his apology/explainations to Mr Wagner. -based on what was said to Mr Bordi from Mr Dimaio and those in earshot and who could not help overhearing the comments directed to Mr Bordi were astonished-we were surprised how composed he remained. Yes there was something between the BOE and the Dimaio family as pointed out but that was long before Mr Bordi was on the BOE. Also, Mr Dimaio has been more than vocal about the appointment of the security director over his recommended candidate. That happens to be the same person who replaced his wife as head field hockey coach. Understandable, but to make such rude comments without expecting any reply- then you don't know my friend Gus and how he won't back down from a bully. Don't believe me? ask around, here are some hints towards people to ask - fireman family big in this town, other people on fire dept that work in town, some guys from the KOC & others who were also on the pub crawl that night. Or better still let Mr Dimaio come on like Mr Bordi did and admit what he said to ignite this, not likely. BTW I'm not Gus and he is going to be upset I wrote this so sorry in advance my friend but I know how this has been bothering you.

anightatthemoose
Sep '14

What a bunch of wussa's you all are. Big freaking deal a couple of guys had an argument . Who cares ? Oh but children had to hear it..... oh my........Was alcohol served at this establishment ? Take your kids to Mc Donalds in the future and let them loose with all those plastic balls. Americans are getting their heads chopped off and this nonsense is an issue ? Stop acting like a bunch of school girls !

jerseycash5
Sep '14

Wait this happened at the Moose Lodge? I'd hardy call that a local restaurant. And I'm sure that wasn't the first time the kids heard adult language at the lodge.

Darwin Darwin
Sep '14

Darwin - I think the Moose incident and the restaurant incident are two separate things, the Moose incident having happened first.

jerseycash - Yup, another example of child coddling. Sh*t happens and when it does, it's a good opportunity to teach children about real life.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

I guess he will not be taking his children to a pro. sports event. It wasn't always that way, but anything goes today. You have to deal with it or dont go.

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

Thanks Calico, went back and reread the posts, you're right 2 seperate times. So hard to keep up with all the drama in this Real Politicians of Warren County show.

Darwin Darwin
Sep '14

Mr , Bordi has track record of being a buly. As a referee he threatened middle school kids from Kittitiny that he will get them in high shool. He was thrown out of gym. He continuously threatens coaches who do not lay his children Enougjh already. Now he is screaming at a local politician. Put money on it there is seething yo do with one of his kids laying time

what sport was this?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.