Garage sale starting times

Perhaps this belongs on the venting thread, but since so many garage sales are advertised here, I'm hoping more people will read.

To those planning a sale---please, please try to begin at your posted starting time. I'm not sure why, but lately I've arrived at several sales on time or a few minutes before, only to see people in pajamas lugging bags out of the house or just starting to unpack mounds of stuff from their garage. Delays can happen, but could it be it's just poor planning/preparation? Gas is expensive; it just doesn't pay to leave & come back later, nor do I want to sit at your curb & wait OR rummage through boxes/bags to look at your stuff.

Davis Davis
Aug '14

Agreed....and if the items are on a blanket on the ground in a pile? I'm not rummaging through that either and throwing my back out.

jaemae jaemae
Aug '14

Just as a counterpoint Davis, there is nothing more annoying (and a tad obnoxious) to advertise a garage sale starting time of 8am, and have people showing up at 7:30 (or earlier) and expecting to be allowed to pick though things as you are still trying to arrange things.

Shoppers need to respect sellers who state "No Early Shoppers."

JerryG JerryG
Aug '14

JerryG - I agree, it's *both* ends. How about someone showing up at 6:30 AM for a 9:00 AM sale and giving attitude about not having items available?? All time worst for me was 7:00 PM the day before a sale, a knock on the door saying they can't make it tomorrow that they have someone's sale they want to go to instead. Then against better judgement digging out the item they want to see to be told "OK, but do you have any others??". Didn't buy a thing.

On the other hand, while there are a few people needing some common courtesy lessons, the vast majority of people you meet are really nice.

i can't stand people like Davis. those that show up early Then they haggle you for the price on the first thing they see. One guy ( maybe Davis, LOL) yelled at me because i wouldn't come down on my asking price. I'm having the garage sale for 8 hrs and you are the 1st person. I'm pretty sure i will get my asking price at some point during the day. I told him to come back at 4pm and if it's still here i will give it to him for free, it wasn't and he didn't come back.

man GC you are a better person than me, if someone came the night before i would lose my mind.

darwin darwin
Aug '14

davis you are an ass.then don't go to garage sales if this ticks you off so much.get over yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

papoo
Aug '14

papoo don't be a jerk. There is no standing rule for times for garage sales. It's a courtesy to both parties involved. If you read the entire post, he said he doesn't want to sit there waiting or rummage through boxes. Pretty sure that's out of respect for the owners and not a convenience thing.

btownguy btownguy
Aug '14

Wow, should have known better than to come here. I stated I arrived at posted time or a few minutes before...as in 5 minutes. Don't recall that haggling prices was mentioned either. Just wanted to point out that others might feel the same way & sellers are losing potential sales. Is the cursing really necessary? I guess I should know better than post such a controversial topic....

Davis Davis
Aug '14

You know what? A garage sale is NOT a store with posted hours. What's the big deal if people are a few minutes late setting up? Cut them a break if they're not set up and waiting the exact second you decide to show up, whether on time or five minutes early.

If you don't like items laying on the ground don't look at them.

And if you don't like the way is sale is being run, then leave, just as you would leave a store if you didn't like it.

JerryG JerryG
Aug '14

I agree with JerryG

Bella76 Bella76
Aug '14

Wow! Evidently, even garage sales can be controversial. LMAO

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Why should garage sales be any different than everything else, LOL.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '14

Stuff being in boxes or on blankets is just the way it has to be, not everyone has tables to put stuff out on.

I at least sort the clothes or things into sizes and try to keep the piles small so there isn't a lot of sorting to do.

Sirya Sirya
Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.