Poop vs Poop (How to identify animal scat?)

OK, with the risk that this might take the prize for the zaniest question, I want to identify some poop in my yard. I think it might be bear, but not sure. I read that bear poop will be at least 1inch diameter, tubular, and contain mostly plant matter (seeds, grasses) and may also include insect parts and fur.
I measured and it is an inch wide, but before I start prodding it, does anyone have any other identifying hints.
I also thought it could be from a lost dog --- but not being a dog owner, how would their poop differ.
I read coyote and raccoon would be smaller and coyote would not have plant material.
OK stop laughing!

happiest girl
Aug '14

Good topic. LOL

Check out this website for scat identification.

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/british-wildlife/how-identify-animal-droppings

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

If a bear gets into some dog food, it would have the exact same diet and there would probably be no way to tell. I think the only thing you can do is figure there's just too much qty to be a dog, or there's something in it you know for sure a dog wouldn't eat.

I am definitely no expert, but we have a bear who regularly passes through our property, and frequently leaves deposits in our yard. Not only does it contain plant matter, but the bear obviously gets into people's garbage. There have been bits of aluminum foil, plastic wrappers from products and even bottle caps. They must have digestive systems like iron!!!! I would say 99% of the time there is more than just normal body waste in their poop.

Tanya Tanya
Aug '14

BEAR!!
Definately bear! Right in the heart of Hackettstown.

happiest girl
Aug '14

The best way to tell is to get on your hands and knees and smell it, if it smells like bear poop then it is more than likely bear poop.

ignatz ignatz
Aug '14

Is it in the woods?

Because hey, everybody knows, bears poop in the woods.

Alternately, you could look for traces of Charmin in the area.

JerryG JerryG
Aug '14

Sometimes bears poop in the buckwheat. I can show you where, if you like...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

ianimal - Remind me not to eat scrapple at your house...

Ianimal.. I am laughing out loud as one of my very Irish Mother's favorite expressions for someone not very bright was for her to say " That man doesn't know bear s++t from buckwheat!"..

joyful joyful
Aug '14

or as it was expressed in our home..one didn't know sh*t from Shinola

Bessie Bessie
Aug '14

My dad used to refer to Sh*t on a Shingle.

happiest girl
Aug '14

happiest girl....Your Dad must have been in the Military at some point in his life. I know exactly what Sh*t on a Shingle is as my hubby was in the Navy. He has quite a few other expressions too for meals that were served to him on his ship.......not printable!

joyful joyful
Aug '14

I love sh*t on shingle

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

is that chipped beef on toast?? I think that's how my dad referred to it - no we didn't have it in the house

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '14

S*it on a shingle! Lol. My dad too. He was from the south and was in the army as a young man. Too funny.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Aug '14

S*it on a Shingle is made with chopped meat and gravy and usually served on toast or a buttermilk biscuit...botheredbyuu2.....The other one made with chipped beef on toast I prefer not to tell you what the Navymen called that one!!!

joyful joyful
Aug '14

( Army ) S:ht on a shingle was dried chipped beef on toast in a spiced cream sauce. The dried beef kept longer. A few years ago I was in a Diner in LBI and they served it over Potatoes. That was a belly full. I buy Stoffers.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

Joyful- Lol. Mom use to make it for dinner.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Aug '14

probably the person with the most knowledge regarding animal poop is Walt at Hackettstown Guns and Ammo. his number is 908-852 5260.

ramone michaels ramone michaels
Aug '14

We have bear that come thru at times. It is pretty easy to spot, he leaves a fairly large amount of "pinecone" shaped fecal matter.
If you know what the deer leave, it is like that but all connected into these various "pinecone" shapes.
I know you all may have a good laugh, but that is how I would describe it. I have never investigated close enough to examine for plant matter.

susan susan
Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.