Annoying Phrases

We have all heard them: Phrases like "It is what it is" (my personal favorite) and "It's cool" or "Just sayin", but there is a HUGE difference between throwing it out there once in a while and cramming into every sentence you possibly can.

The most annoying for me to date is "It's all good" I have contact with the same few people daily and they use this phrase to finish EVERY sentence that comes out of their mouth!!! I am sooooo tired of hearing it.

Another one that drives me crazy is "peeps" First of all my mind automatically goes to those little marshmallow things that nobody ever eats at Easter. Second, if you are not a pre-teen girl you should NEVER even think of saying it. I'm not even sure they say it anymore!

The best yet though had to be today.... I actually had a grown adult comment on something he liked by saying it was "awesome sauce" Is that something the skaters use? surfers maybe? I don't know , but certainly a person that is in his 50's should never attempt something like this lol!

People say "just sayin" when they don't want to argue, just want to make a point or introduce a particular fact as part of a larger discussion .... at least that's the way I've used it.

To me, "think outside the box" is an annoying phrase. Everybody says they do it.

Basketball announcers are always saying, "he can score the basketball." Just sayin he can score would be good enough.

Well, when it's all been said and done, there's nothing left to say or do. Just sayin.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

JRT,
Pull the stick out of your butt. Peeps will say whatever they want, it is what it is. Maybe you should try to add a little light hearted speech to your vernacular, it's all good. It doesn't matter what your age is, keeping things light and upbeat is cool. Just sayin'.
I will add that if you have "seen" something, please for the love of the sauce that is awesome, don't say "I seen it". Say "I saw it".
Peace.

Natalie Natalie
Aug '14

Hey peeps, just saying, It is what it is ya know, its totally cool right? Wake up, chill out and smell the awesome sauce, broseph. Now quit your twerking and go back to thinking outside the box.

I am so getting banned for this post.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Aug '14

Right on.

Back in 1968 and 69 everybody's phrase was sock it to me. Even Nixon used it on TV.

You hear it in a lot of the songs from those days.

It was what it was.

Back when I was given the nickname Elvis because of how I looked in a yearbook picture, I told everyone I was "all shook up" or "caught in a trap," told people they were "a hound dog," told everyone not to step on my blue suede shoes (even though I usually wore sneakers) and to this day I end columns with "Elvis has left the building."

They created a monster.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

I hate, "Awesome", "Whatever" (with an attitude), "You rock", "You are a rockstar",
"You are fly"

To me it's so pretentious and it really sounds stupid coming out of a 40 plus year old's mouth! Big turnoff for me. I've heard these phrases more from the older crowd than the younger crowd. Lol

positive positive
Aug '14

@JRT..just for the record, some of us do eat those little Peeps at Easter, LOL. One of my favorite times of the year. I cringe when I hear "it is what it is" and my new cringe worthy is "cray-cray", sounds ridiculous to me.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '14

Hmm, maybe I have had conversations with a couple of the posters above lol!

I agree positive... I also can't stand when people describe everything that they come in contact with as awesome:) and I've also heard "Whatev" used in place of "Whatever" I guess those extra couple of letters were just too much for some users lol!

Ha!ha! sorry Bessie:) I will send some your way on Easter this year! What color do you like? Oh yeah, cray-cray right there with you on that one!

8 posts and 5 lol's! I'll add that one to the list. Oh wait, I use it all the time...darn.

BTW Bessie, you managed to dis (is that on the list??) both me and my kids at the same time!

justintime justintime
Aug '14

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/497567#t497730

Justintime..please explain, early in the morning and I think I missed something. I agree about the LOL's, but sometimes you have to add that so your post isn't misinterpreted as sarcastic or road. Not a fan of Ugh either.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '14

Just one at the moment I can think of and that would be the expression "knock yourself out" when you mention to someone you are planning to do something.

joyful joyful
Aug '14

Oops, sorry..my post should say or Rude, not road. Told you it was early in the morning

Bessie Bessie
Aug '14

"It is what it is" drives me nuts!

Lizzzzzzz Lizzzzzzz
Aug '14

Anyways.

honey badger honey badger
Aug '14

Great topic- I really am enjoying reading these and fully endorse all of the ones listed so far- "Awesome sauce"- that has got to be the most inane thing that I have ever heard, I would cringe if a 15 yr old said it. Unless an adult is talking to a toddler using that phrase, they probably are drinking some "awesome sauce" to put them in that state of mind!

The phrase that has slowly become an irritant to me is related to a positive thing actually- it is the addition of two small words in the phrase "Thank you" that drives me nuts-

"Thank you SO much"

When did this change take place? I am now thanked for every mundane and basic human thing I do with not just a simple "Thank you" anymore, but the addition of "So much".

Now, I do realize that the simple act of "Thank you" is a good thing, and don't fault someone for having manners. The world needs more of that-

But, for things that a simple "Thank you" will do- I am now given a "Thank you SO much"- and given it so often that it just has begun to make me laugh- the person uttering it has become "afflicted" with it!

Listen for it- you are going to start noticing it. I don't know when the "SO Much" started to become part of the phrase, but I am guessing I am thanked "SO Much" over half the time now- I don't get it.

Thank you..... for reading!

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Aug '14

"Must be nice to be able to afford that!"
"That really pi==es me off"
"How much did that cost?"
"You're really not going to eat all that, are you?"

joyful joyful
Aug '14

"Not for nothing, but..."

Seems to be a Northeast/Jersey thing. It drives my midwest wife nuts whenever she hears someone say it.

darwin darwin
Aug '14

Am I the only one who dislikes being referred to as "you guys"? Especially when half the group is female. I know it's been around for along time, but still makes me want to grind my teeth. Guess my age is showing.
JRT, I also enjoy peeps at Easter, but only the yellow ones when they are just a bit stale.
Another annoyance is adding "at" to the end of a sentence. "Where are you at?" What is the purpose of adding at?
I hope everyone is able to enjoy their day without offending anyone.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Aug '14

Ya know.............. every third word
Basically
Literally

"So like basically, ya know..like I literally like almost basically died ya know?"

Hearing basically makes my eye twitch now. .

jaemae jaemae
Aug '14

Thank God for Google. I have to use it everyday to determine what letters refer to for there meaning.
If you don't learn something every day, your dead, is my motto. This form fills that void.!!!

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

One that bothers me ( and I don't know why) is when a couple announces " We're pregnant". We're having a baby, FINE . We're adding to our family also fine. My wife ( or insert name) is pregnant, great. But a couple announcing that THEY are pregnant is an impossibility!! And it drives me crazy!! I know it's irrational and an insignificant thing to complain about, but it still bothers me.

Tanya Tanya
Aug '14

Another Peep lover here, all colors, all shapes, and all holidays!

I do have one phrase that makes me cringe. It's not obscene, it doesn't put anyone down, it's just disgusting. If you haven't eaten breakfast yet, don't scroll down.

" I threw up in my mouth."
I cringe evertime I hear it. I want to say to the person, go see a doctor!
I have heard a public speaker use this phrase with a large audience.
Useless words!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Aug '14

Is it hot enough for ya?

Make it happen.

You go, girl!

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Aug '14

Me too Tanya...aggravates the crap out of me. WE aren't pregnant...I'm pregnant. We're going to have a baby yes...but we are not pregnant. Totally agree

jaemae jaemae
Aug '14

I can't stand "It grates" or "It bugs". Those verbs are transitive. It grates on your nerves, or it bugs you.

I know it's not a phrase but it's annoying and I wish it would go away - HKTWN. It's been a while since I've said it so I feel the need to add it.

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '14

LOL, OMG, lmao, WTF etc...has this become part of the common vernacular?

I hope not.

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Aug '14

"At the end of the day", "having said that", what "resonates" with "the bottom line"?

dannyc dannyc
Aug '14

The phrase "What's your point?" does not bother me but I have a friend that does not want to hear it....

joyful joyful
Aug '14

"Absolutely". "Folks" have "issues" with "awesome".

dannyc dannyc
Aug '14

"I'm sorry. My manager won't let me serve you any more beer." - Boy, does that one really stick in my craw...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

very glad to see folks getting on board with not liking the phrase :

"it is what it is"

it's a perfect example of a meaningless and therefore completely useless comment because it's a self proving tautology that while on the surface is logical, actually proves nothing. it is redundant, it insists on itself, why? for what purpose? (yes, i borrowed a little from family guy)

it's a conundrum wrapped up in an enigma, and yet it is used all day long by some who refuse to think it through.

personally i don;t like people responding with this: "No problem"

i mean really? after holding the door open for me, and i say "Thank you" the response is "No problem" ? how about a simple "you're welcome", i must be getting too old.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '14

Oh, thank you for this thread! I'd say awesome is probably #1 on my dispise list. Then there is folks. (I am not a folk. I am a person ...a woman and Not a part of a "you guy". When people are seated in a restraunt, wouldnt the wait staff just say "you two can follow me or "you all". It's not tough. Peeps is a bad one however some people say "keep your peepers peeled" and that's kind of fun. My late husband used to say there before the grace of God go I and that used to make me crazy. So does HTWN and RNJ. I kind of find them both a "slap". Very bothersome. How many towns can you think of that actually abbreviate their towns name. And "no"...don't tell me that it makes It easier. That's not it.

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Aug '14

"Yup" and "Catch ya later".. even worse but I don't hear it anymore "Catch ya later alligator" and one more "In my humble opinion"

positive positive
Aug '14

Let's also not forget about "actually". Im guilty of that one and have been catching myself pretty well. Once in awhile is fine. HKTWN. Got that one wrong. Oh...here's another..."my wrong". Whatever happened to "my mistake".

Aug '14

Actually I'm guilty of using "actually" way too much myself.

This one drives me mad! "My bad"

positive positive
Aug '14

Good one...Brother Dog!...I completely forgot about "No Problem"...That is definitely another phrase that I have heard too much of lately.. . when asking for a glass of water in a restaurant or a really major request...

joyful joyful
Aug '14

People say "no problem" because nobody wants to hear any bad news ... especially the boss.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

I gave it a 125% or any number over 100%. I thought 100% was everything. How can you give more? All it means to me is that they normally work at 75% of expectations..

DiaHillRes2 DiaHillRes2
Aug '14

how about 'are you coming with' ... where's the rest of the sentence

chillax! lol

jerseygrl2fl05
Aug '14

Selfie, not a phrase I know. I dislike like, drives me crazy. #1 on my list, You Guys, I am not a guy.

auntiel auntiel
Aug '14

Talk to the Hand

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Aug '14

These are all good ones! Glad I don't have people in my circle who tend to use these phrases. I might have to open my big mouth and say something to them.

Personally, I dislike it when a television or radio host thanks a guest for being on their program, and the guest says, "Thanks for having me." Really? How about "My pleasure" or "Good to be here" or even "Thank you for having me on your show." But not, "Thanks for having me." Gauche, as far as I'm concerned.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '14

One of the worst is.

'Trust me'

ignatz ignatz
Aug '14

"to be honest" ....yeah so you're usually lying but this time you aren't.

"Are you tracking with me?" I know one person that says this and it makes me nuts. They are not a hunter or Boy Scout. Why?? !!!

"Totes" - very popular expression with the younger crowd. It means "totally" and it is totally moronic.

Antimony Antimony
Aug '14

What would Dale Carnegie have to say about all this?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

I can't stand when people say who'd a thunk it , drives me nuts

cowgirl1 cowgirl1
Aug '14

Who knew?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

Not a annoying phrase but just wanted to say.....WHAT A GOOD THREAD!!

joyful joyful
Aug '14

Brother Dog,

You've hit the nail on the head with "no problem!" I was raised to say "you're welcome" when someone said "thank you."

I hate wait staff in a restaurant who, when they put your food in front of me and I say "thank you" reply with "no problem."

I feel like saying "Of course it's not a problem, it's your job! It better NOT be a problem!!"

JerryG JerryG
Aug '14

I have, Joyful. Done it already and they really dont "get it" ;)

Aug '14

When I hear someone say "fro-yo", I want to pinch them hard on the loose piece of skin on their tricep until they weep uncontrollably.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

Have a nice one.
Help me help you
When you look at the big picture...

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Aug '14

Bessie, I like "it is what it is" and am one who uses the phrase, while my kids have taken to "cray cray" like a fish to water.

Eh, whatcha gonna do? It is what it is...

;-)

justintime justintime
Aug '14

I know a lot of love to use it, but to me it's the most annoying idiotic phrase in the history of mankind, and the last thing I want to hear after bad news. "everything happens for a reason"

Denis Denis
Aug '14

Well; thank you SO much is very gracious and genteel (dontcha know? ) I, myself just simply go with the thank you but (once again) catch myself using the "so much". I suppose it depends on the occassion. I do not know nor have ever heard of cray cray
Maybe someone can fill me in. Joyful; have you ever heard of this one?

Aug '14

Never heard of cray cray, just the facts maam...and hope I never do... Don't you think a lot of this annoying talk and spelling started with the texting? I like to be "with the times" but this is ridiculous. Wondering if schools still have spelling bees anymore so the kids know how words are really supposed to be pronounced and spelled?...

joyful joyful
Aug '14

My 1st and 3rd grade grand kids just told me " cray cray" means really, really crazy.

I looked it up and apparently they are correct. " Go figure"!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Aug '14

justintime...I used to use the "it is what it is", then there was a person in my office that used it all the time and I stopped. I have to admit, I do still use it from time to time. Cray-cray is better left to the younger generation, the same as "whatev". I work with someone that's 67 years old and gives the eye roll and whatev..at least put the "er" on it.
PS..never meant to dis you or your kids...after reading this I realize I say a lot of things that people hate to hear..we all have our own thing :)

Bessie Bessie
Aug '14

Some good ones added today! Many that I haven't heard in a long time ( and hopefully won't again:)) There were a couple that I have never heard said before... Are you tracking with me? (Antimony) I don't get it? and Fro-yo (ianimal) what is that?

Joyful, you reminded me of something else with the texting. I can't stand when people write in "text talk" like using "u" instead of the word "You" I'm sure it is much easier, faster, etc... but it's ridiculous if you ask me.

positive, I'm with you - I can't stand the phrase 'my bad'. Great topic...too many annoying phrases out there!

Are you tracking with me is another way of saying "Do you get where I'm going with this?", "Are you following where I'm going with this conversation?" or more up the point: "Do you understand?" Super annoying.

Antimony Antimony
Aug '14

Fro yo is Frozen Yogurt. I also dislike YOLO (acronym for you only live once). Both are stupid.

Antimony Antimony
Aug '14

Thank you. I agree they are stupid.

Pay it forward...I can't stand this phrase!!!

bashaway
Aug '14

"My bad" UGH!

We had many goofy phrases throughout the years, "Dynamite", "Groovy", "Far out", "Right on." But after awhile they lose their luster and new ones take surface..it's a generational thing. Which is understandable for each new generation to have their own thing.

What really gets me are the abbreviations..to me it takes away from the true meaning of the word. I know it's a little strange but that's how I see it. I understand abbreviating on a dumb phone (I'm guilty of that), but I don't understand why it's become wide spread everywhere..on forums, emails, classified ads, etc.

As a frequent poster on this forum, I am guilty of this as well..but I try to limit myself.

positive positive
Aug '14

Not sure if you misunderstood Bessie, but I was attempting to be funny and am not offended in the least, so here's another one:

It's all good!

justintime justintime
Aug '14

The president O uses.. "Crisis!" a lot... Everything is a "Crisis!"

"Go Suck an Egg!".......

"Go pound Salt!"................

"Don't Get all Smoked Up!"....

"Your'e Kidding" ...

"OMG" (Oh My God)

" You Should See!" ....

"I Tole 'em That!"

"Hey!" .... Used as a greeting....and then a "Hey" as an answer back! That in my opinion is like Neanderthal Man greeting someone saying, Ugh! "Ugh! Me see You!"

"I Really Shouldn't Say Anything, But!" ..... ( Then shut the heck up)

Thank Good God that Bubonics Didn't strike here yet! Doan Axk Fur it neether!

embryodad embryodad
Aug '14

When I was a teenager in the early 80's these phrases were very popular, "You are so gay," "That's so gay." Basically meaning, you are a nerd and/or you are not with it. The phrase had nothing to do with homosexuals. Does anyone else remember this phrase?

positive positive
Aug '14

When everyone else was saying "groovy," I was saying "supercalifragilistic."

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

president O has the "notion" that "bad guys" are "unacceptable", will be "held accountable", "brought to justice", "and...so..."

dannyc dannyc
Aug '14

Oh yeah..how about people who say aks instead of ask. There's absolutely *no* excuse for that and also? I guess for people who put *'s before or after a word
Joyful..."I hear ya" (about the spelling in school) :)

Aug '14

I didn't think you meant it Justintime, but you know how things get here sometimes. I like to keep my reputation intact, LOL. This has been a nice topic, don't you think? It kind of confirms that as much as others get on our nerves with certain phrases, we're probably doing a good job of getting on someone else's nerves with our favorite phrases.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '14

When people say (or worse type) "an historic..." instead of "a historic..." While it may be technically grammatically correct, so is "a historic..." And it makes you sound like a douche.
:)

Natalie1 Natalie1
Aug '14

"Douche bag" (hee hee). Yes; I remember youre so gay. That was after college living with my friend Wendy. I remember it well. "Takes me back to the day"

Aug '14

Just the facts maam, sometimes I find myself still saying it and my daughter looks at me like I have two heads. Lol!

positive positive
Aug '14

And I use groovy on occassion. Keeps me young!

Aug '14

Calling things "gay" made a big comeback in recent years; I remember my nieces and their friends using it quite often. "Random" is a relatively recent addition of indeterminate etymology...

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '14

Great example, just the facts maam.
Maybe Hackettstown parents should "aks" their children's teacher why they pronounce words incorrectly.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happiest girl
Aug '14

That's good news ian. I can't wait to tell my daughter that I'm with it and she's not. She will probably respond with "cray cray" or "whatev" (holding up the hand). Lol!

positive positive
Aug '14

Oh ---- that came out ambiguous. I meant that the 'teacher' uses incorrect pronounciation.

happiest girl
Aug '14

I can't even.

This morning I caught myself telling my parrot "It's all good!" Hee. I hope it's not on his list of annoying phrases because I suspect I use it more often than I realized.

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '14

One more and then I need to get on with my day although this thread is alot of fun and I will check in. How 'bout "how are we" as if I have a mouse in my pocket :) I also wish that people would speak in their God given voices especially when their speaking to somebody young and maybe impressionable. So many young adults use such pretentious type voices to impress and is really kind of offensive. Although, remember valley girl speak back in the '70's? I never partook, but I have to remember that I was young once and back then it was cool. "Sigh"

Aug '14

"Sigh" - there's a good one. Can't stand it... throw "SMH" in there, too.

Valley Girls were definitely in the '80s, not the '70s... it all started with that Frank Zappa song.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

I think the phrase "no worries" was missed. That drives me crazy. My spouse uses it all of the time.

Many of you have also mentioned the interjection or sentence filler "you know". I cannot believe the number of "professional" news reporters, etc. that constantly use these words in their reporting. After a while, that is all I hear and I have to get up and leave the room.
If I knew, why would I be listening to you!!!

Heaven Forbid Heaven Forbid
Aug '14

I know this thread if for phrases, I have to add this The word is pronounced get, g-e-t. Not git, g-i-t. Listen very closely most people pronounce it as git.

auntiel auntiel
Aug '14

Had to consult Internet Slang on the SMH (shaking my head). You're probably right about the "sigh" and rarely use it but I'll take it under consideration. Istand corrected on the valley girl. Thanks. It was a pure guesstimation. I was not into Zappa.

Aug '14

Not really a phrase, but more of a pet peeve - I hate when people speak in third person!

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Aug '14

Positive-Cray cray? Never heard that before.

What gets me is "everything happens for a reason". HATE THAT!
Ummm...I'm in 2 s*hi jobs for what reason? ; {

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Aug '14

C'mon people; keep it going! Wheres your spirit?!

Aug '14

Hate it when people start a new thought or idea, or answer a question, with the first word, "So..." Very affected.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '14

"Honestly speaking", "To be honest", "Truthfully", does this mean everything else you have been saying is a lie?

When people say "Acrosst" for Across

A new phrase lately is "Just living the dream" , this is getting on my nerves.

"My Bad" has become very popular lately........just annoying and wrong at so many levels

BrandyB BrandyB
Aug '14

"and...so..." when the teleprompter is off.

dannyc dannyc
Aug '14

An expression with a totally different meaning:
Shut Up -
In my day, it meant Be Quiet.
You tell someone good news and their reply: "Shut up"
Really?
or "Shut the front door"
Anyone on Facebook - You put sad news on, to notify people of a
death in the family "Sadly I am reporting that my loving Father passed away."
People click "like"
Seriously, you like that my Father died? If you are too lazy to add condolences, I'd rather you not acknowledge at all.

sosadsad sosadsad
Aug '14

bbu- Like you I never heard of "cray cray" either until I read Spring Fever's post about her grandkids saying it and it means really crazy.

I can't wait to use it on my daugher tomorrow and see her reaction. Lol

positive positive
Aug '14

When a speaker says "you people" he is showing the audience no respect.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

sosadsad- I forgot all about "Shut up" and "Shut the front door," very annoying and out of date, can't stand it. Concerning Facebook, I don't have an FB account because of the very reason you have addressed..to me it's very phony. That's a shame that people can't even give a word of sympathy because of laziness or whatnot.

positive positive
Aug '14

*daughter*

positive positive
Aug '14

I can't stand when people say that food "is to die for". Oh, yeah? Then take a big bite and stick your pretentious head in the oven...

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '14

I think "shut up" in that context originated with Elaine on Seinfeld, and was usually accompanied by a vicious two-handed slap to the chest. It was funny when she did it, but I agree that it sounds douchey coming from most people.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '14

anywho.....

jerseygrl2fl05
Aug '14

Oh positive, too funny. My daughter would be embarassed to no end if I used that phase. (Will have to try it). Lol

I don't care for "Chillax".

Aug '14

That's what I'm talkin' about.

dannyc dannyc
Aug '14

or down here in the south we here : all ya'll or .. git er done

ugh

jerseygrl2fl05
Aug '14

My nephew says "you talking to me"? (And repeats it). Was cute when he was 6, not so much now at 16.

Aug '14

Yo, whats up bro?

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Aug '14

"SUP"! Hate it!

Aug '14

"why don't you pour yourself a nice tall glass of go !@#$ yourself?"

Actually, I kind of enjoy busting this one out from time to time...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

How many annoying phrases have originated from (or at least been popularized by) Guy Fieri and his show Triple D alone?

"Shut the front door", "To die for", "the real deal", anything "101", "these bad boys", "hot mess", "that's how I roll", "killer", "an explosion in your mouth", any variety of vehicles taking you to or locations in: "flavortown"

The "Guy" is a walking compendium of annoying phrases; he must be stopped.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

Other possible sources of annoying phrases:

accountants - "bottom line"
lawyers - "issues"
cable news - "at the end of the day", "having said that", "resonates"
politicians - "folks", "absolutely", "unacceptable", "held accountable", "and...so..."

dannyc dannyc
Aug '14

But wait! I'm not done yet. Order now and I'll send you a second one free. Just pay shipping and handling.

dannyc dannyc
Aug '14

Maybe a little "off subject" but I hate "left to your own devices"
When it SHOULD be "left to your own devise" ... This phrase has been
Said incorrectly for so long, that the "devices" version is used more than
the correct "devise". It's akin to "irregardless" ( double negative ) when
simply using "regardless" or even "irrespective" if you feel the need for
more syllables! Well "irregardless" is now in the dictionary. So get ready
for all of the new dictionary entries for "peeps" etc. We seem to include
even our language in our new "lawless society" LOL... ( sorry about the
LOL guys ...oops and"gals"

Steven Wagner Steven Wagner
Aug '14

"Oh yes"....how can I forget? 2 more and this will be it I think! At 56, I hate (really hate) to be called young lady. I may have had too much of that when I was a young girl. act like a lady. I can't laugh and blow it off or even ignore but that ones a bad one. Also; thinking about the food network channel and the people with the pearly white whitened teeth. And then they smile un naturally big smiles and their teeth could actually glow in the dark. For example; Giada. Whoever smiles THAT wide? She is very pretty when she has a half smile.

Aug '14

Being called young lady would be the opposite for me..I would relish it oppossed to being called mam, which I hate! No disrespect to your screen name just the facts maam.

positive positive
Aug '14

Amen, positive. ;)

Aug '14

Don't do stupid stuff.

dannyc dannyc
Aug '14

Why is everyone so easily annoyed? The only one I could point to is the inappropriate use of "literally", but I find that amusing not annoying. Chill out folks, ya'll are cray cray!

Gadfly Gadfly
Aug '14

I agree, Gadfly. It's all good.

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '14

I think that we're all just sharing and having fun. I think we're all fine. We could parlez vous this thread into "pet peeves"!

Aug '14

Watching TMZ. They keep saying, "Im on team......... Thats annoying.

Sep '14

What is worse than overused words?

When people emphasize every syllable of the word...Instead of getting just a standard "absolutely" ( which is annoying all by itself) I now get a very drawn out "Abb-Sooo-Luuuute-Ly"

Why? Does this somehow give it more meaning? So ridiculous...

OR

When people feel the need to use made up words. I can fully grasp the meaning of the words "fantastic" and "fabulous" all by themselves. Do we really need to combine them into FANTABULOUS?

If you think using words like that makes you look cute/funny....it doesn't
If you think it is cool on some level....it's not.
If you think any normal, intelligent person is going to take you seriously when you talk like that....they're not.

Anything including "selfie" or "baby bump" or "Kardashian".

Bruin Bruin
Sep '14

"It is what it is" seems a common phrase I hear a lot of lately.

Kit Kat Kit Kat
Oct '14

add SMH to annoying internet phrases. I see ianimal beat me to that one.

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

Oh, and TMI. If you use that one, here's my reply..."GFY".

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

I've notice in the last couple years, that people compulsively say "Right?" at the end of the their sentences in a very annoying way. A number of female broadcasters do it, but also some male. It serves no purpose. When I hear it on the radio, I sometimes shout, "I don't know, ____. You're telling me the news. You tell me if it's right."

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Oct '14

Right?

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

If I hear the word booty one more time, I'm going to scream.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Oct '14

Booty is still in play?

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

I may have said this already but I heard it 3 times the other night at work and it drives me NUTS! When I ask you something, DONT say "IM GOOD". Say yes or no!

Oct '14

Yes, Booty is mentionned in a ton of current radio songs and even my aerobic instructors tend to use it frequently. I don't know what a better replacement is but I'm just sick of the word. I can't say buttocks cause then I sound like Forrest Gump.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Oct '14

Stool dispenser...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

is that like cookie cutter?

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

Bruin, "GFY" Now that is one I may have to use ha!ha!

"Saucer pass". Totally meaningless, sounds like a homer's back handed compliment without much understanding, and must really occur once every other season. So why use the term 9 times in two periods? Annoying at best.

JRT, we use that one at work a lot. Good For You! :)

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

HaHa! Bruin... I'm sure you do:)

Another winner from an email I got from Petco: "Pet parent". To all pet owners out there, you are not pet 'parents'. You are owners. Stop being so weird with your pets.

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

"play date" (arranging for kids to get together to play).

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

The overly used "high definition". Correctly used to describe screen resolution on TV's and computers, it is now used to describe any clear and unobstructed view.

Was looking at fish tanks online, and description of one was "high definition" viewing. I'm getting ready to slap some people.

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

Geeze, I'm starting to sound a bit cranky, lol.

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

Ah yes, the view from my back deck is in High Definition living color, with super-surround sound and smell-O-vision! I'm such a lucky guy;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

I'm so JELLY. I thought of smacking the person who said this to me. I didn't.

auntiel auntiel
Apr '15

When I did high school football broadcasts, my partner doing play-by-play would always introduce me to the audience and, being conversational, would ask how I was doing.

I always tried to come up with something different to say each week ... got a real laugh out of him when I said,

"I'm gellin."

So often, stuff we see on TV commercials becomes part of our everyday speech.

It is what it is.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

'throw shade', 'throws shade', 'throwing shade' as an example:

Kelly Osbourne Tweets About 'Liars,' Throws Shade at Giuliana Rancic

brown bear
Apr '15

"Going viral" is desirable?

dannyc
Apr '15

Must be nice!

joyful joyful
Apr '15

I grew up with "cool" and "awesome " ...now it's "BOOYA"
Two annoying phrases: "Work above and beyond you're ability " Well, if you can do that, then that IS you're ability.
"I want 110% out of you " I can only give 100%.
Oh wait, one more:" Save up to 50%....and more!" What is "up to "? How can you pass that?

sallysimpson sallysimpson
Apr '15

BOGO

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

" You're going to feel some pressure now " or "Now, just a little stick, here " We all know what that means. Ouch!

sallysimpson sallysimpson
Apr '15

what is bogo? never heard it

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '15

Brother Dog..It's Buy One, Get One (free). Not always a bargain though, don't be misled.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '15

So sick of hearing , at the end of the day ect, ect

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Apr '15

BOGO - buy one, get one FREE. What a joke in most incidences. They jack-up the price on the first one and wants you to think you are getting a great deal.

Apr '15

"Make it happen." Is that supposed to be motivation? I usually heard it when a job had to get done and the boss was leaving for the day.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Apr '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.