Old school burger drive-in on 46 west of Buttzville

Anybody here know the name? I passed it a few weeks ago and heard from a co-worker that it's amazing but I can't find the place online.

Fuji
Aug '14

You mean Hot Dog Johnny's? http://www.hotdogjohnny.com/

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Aug '14

Not Hot Dog Johnny's. This place is at least 4 miles past it.

Fuji
Aug '14

Would it be Humpty Dumpty's in Columbia?

positive positive
Aug '14

Hot Dog Johnny's doesn't sell burgers. It only sells hot dogs !!

Mariann Mariann
Aug '14

I think it used to be King Coles ?

Baby blues
Aug '14

I just looked it up and Yelp is saying it's closed?? I just passed there yesterday and they are open. That's if this is the place you are talking about.

positive positive
Aug '14

King Coles has been closed for quite some time and the building is still vacant. I used to go there a lot..loved that place.

positive positive
Aug '14

Re: Old school burger drive-in on 46 west of Buttzville

I always think of this pic (found in another thread) when someone mentions King Coles.

One was "Kig Coles Grove" In Belvidere just past the A&P going west bound.

There was another one where the old Bike shoppe was just outside of Hackettstown going west on 46... it was called "Al Kings". It's the dilapidated shack on the East 46 side.

If the above serves my memory right? LOL

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '14

The only place I know of out there that sells burgers (and damn great ones) is the Log Cabin Inn. But that's almost Columbia.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '14

The drive in would probably be Humpty Dumpty's near the blinking yellow light for the fire house in Delaware. That's the only one I can think of out that way.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '14

It sounds like King Coles been there many times was a great place had a bar too,was damaged by the river flooding a few times they fixed the place and reopened only to have the same thing happen again.....I'm pretty sure that's how the story went someone correct if I'm wrong.

I think there was a Short Stop Drive In by 519 &46

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

The place you are referring to is Humpty Junior's its in Delaware NJ on Rt 46. it opened several week ago.

2 cents
Aug '14

Thank you 2 cents! It looks great.

Fuji
Aug '14

I miss Cozy Drive In Netcong !!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Aug '14

What is Humpty Juniors? Is it past King Cole on the same side? What are they serving? I love the Log Cabin! Linda has owned it forever! They have steamers for happy hour on a Sunday. The place was a "scene". Just packed. But I would love to know about Humpty Dumpty...thanks

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Aug '14

http://humptyjuniors.com/about-us/

https://www.facebook.com/HumptyJuniors

"Very cool" ... I'll go. Thanks for sharing the info and menu

Aug '14

I think this used to be PJs?

Bryan Bryan
Aug '14

Was the cozy drive in where the DQ is now?

tropicalgardens tropicalgardens
Aug '14

I lived out there in the late 80's Humpty Dumpty's is what it was called then. Haven't been out that way in years. Is it the same owners? They always had great food, at a decent price. And their "red bull" was yummy too!

Cherie Cherie
Aug '14

Cozy drive in was in Netcong on Rt. 46.

Where the DQ is now, heading up the hill?

Aug '14

"The only place I know of out there that sells burgers (and damn great ones) is the Log Cabin Inn."

I thought the Log Cabin was pizza * now you say burgers...damn now it's 2 trips out there.
Never been but my brother swears by the place for the pizza.

tropicalgardens

I think you may be confusing Netcong with Kenvil, where there is a DQ on Rt. 46E. a bit before the hill leading towards Wharton. Cozy's was just East of the Intersection of Rt 46E and Helen Way in Netcong, not far from the old El Coyote.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '14

Another picture of the old Cozy's!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Aug '14

Log Cabin has an extensive menu. Most definately not just pizza. Last time I went I had a steak dinner which was very good and then at the END of the meal I found out about the steamers! Place was hopping inside and out. Wait staff was very nice.

Aug '14

yes, confused them!!! Thanks

Aug '14

There are not many places left on 46 west of rt 31 back in the 60s my dad had a hambuger joint on 46 which was around were the belvidere hard ware store is now it was called docs hut its now the touch of dutch lot of history out this way on rt46

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Aug '14

Yes. I just had lunch at Humpty Dumpty Jr. My waitress graduated from St. Marys many years back. The cheesesteak frenchfries (Handcut) and coleslaw were just crazy good. Had to take 1/2of the ribeye cheesesteak home with me. Just delicious with the cheese, crispy bacon and lettuce and tomato. That was called the West Coast Style. The icecream is Kreider Farms near Lancaster. I had a small vanilla choc twist cone for $2.50. Very reasonably priced for what you get. Still owned by Bob & Bernie Evans. Go past Johnny's, Five Acre Flea Mkt, pretty close after Marshalls farm stand. You cant miss it. Go go go...you wont be disappointed. Fresh banana shakes today too however I opted for the cone.

Aug '14

Thanks for the review !!!! Will check it out soon!!!

Aug '14

Went there today ! Burger was delicious, very fresh. Fries and coleslaw very good. Didnt try anything to crazy . Nice place with a very nice owner....friendly and fast....kind of a long drive for me....I still love Johnnys's Hot Dogs....but wanted to give this new place a try..Oh and they have ice cream for doggies too....so sweet...

bowie bowie
Aug '14

Does anyone remember a little restaurant on 46W in the 50s that was within view of a Greyhound bus stop. I remember driving with my parents to visit grandparents in Scranton and we would always stop for our meal at this place. If not then we went to the Stroudsburg Diner. I know it wasn't too far from the Gap. I seem to remember the name George's. On our return trip back to Brooklyn NY we would stop at King Coles or Hot Dog Johnny. A long ride to see family but we did it quite often, great memories.

justwondering justwondering
Aug '14

Visited Humpty's last night. Best Manhattan clam chowder soup I've ever had. The
pierogies are incredible putting any in the area to shame. Steak sandwich and cheeseburger melted in our mouths. HIGHLY recommend this wonderful restaurant.
The owners and staff make you feel like you are right at home. Looking forward to going back. They will be opened all year round.

really good, generous fresh food and friendly owner. well worth the trip!

kepa
Sep '14

justwondering
In eye line I think what your talking about was DOCs Hut which was my dads place and the gray hound place was called the post house

Sep '14

Was at Humpty's over the weekend, family gave it two thumbs up :)

Joseph D.
Sep '14

Wasn't there also a place just upstream from King Cole called Washburn's. Recall stopping there for a burger and a beer in the early 1980's after fishing up near the water gap.

King Cole always allowed fisherman to park and access the river. My memories are always of the stands in the river that the bow fisherman used for shad and carp. I caught a ton of smallmouth bass walking up the channel between King Cole and Washburn's.

Agust Agust
Sep '14

Thank you Caged Animal. Was your Dad's place on the 46w side of the road. If it was, we had some great food there. Was his name George?

Sep '14

We ate at Humpty's last week and it was delicious! I had a grass fed hamburger with fritos (yes I said fritos!!) and bacon and my husband had a pulled pork sandwich. Both served with fries and coleslaw and both delicious...will definitely go back!

where is this place? i looked for it but didn't see it. is it west of the belvedere a&p?

is it on 519 just north of the intersection with rt 46?

it is past o'flannery's tavern? (going west)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '14

BrotherDog, it's past Flannery's going west past Hunter's Lodge..you will see it on your left on 46 East.

positive positive
Sep '14

The directions were pretty clear, it's on Route 46 not 519. It's Delaware almost Columbia, not Belvidere. Its right next to the Knowlton Fire House, just before Hunter's Lodge as you go to PA, a good 4-5 miles down from 519/5 Acres or A&P. It used to be "PJ's".

ah, thanks, it's me, i know pj's well, thought it was reopened, i stand corrected and thank you

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '14

I drive past it often and didn't even notice it was open again! i guess i stopped looking a decade ago... will have to check it out!

indegirl indegirl
Sep '14

justwondering
George was my grand father his nic name was doc he started out selling fresh fruit and produce and then my dad stated selling food the building was on the east bound side and is now known as the touch of dutch

Sep '14

Awesome Caged, now I know my memory -at least long term - is intact. It is funny that something so minor has been in my thoughts. I asked awhile back on another topic and got no response. We had three different family members, living in NY that would all stop at George's and he would tell my Mom and Dad that so-and-so was here last week, heading to Scranton. He knew us all. He was a nice friendly man. I was young at the time but remember it well. I will check out the location next time I am driving around.

Sep '14

When I was a kid, probably in the mid to late '70s, I remember going to drive-ins next to each other; one was named Burger Queen, the other was Dairy King. I thought that they were near King Cole Grove, but I may be mistaken... they may have been in northeast PA somewhere. Anyone else remember them?

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

Anybody else try Humpty Dumpty Jr's. Thinking about taking a drive over there on Tuesday.

Sep '14

My wife and I went today and loved the food. I had the West Coast cheesesteak and she had a burger. Both were very good. Both came with fries and slaw which we loved too. My wife had a banana chocolate shake which was very tasty. We'll be back.

Redwing
Sep '14

The spot where Short Stop used to be, at the corner of 519 and 46, right across from the new Quick Chek and next to the gas station, is open and serving burgers, along with hot dogs, ice cream, etc.

I was there the other day and enjoyed it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '14

Took my kids to humptys this weekend. Food was amazing staff very friendly. Def going back

Hmmmm...I wonder how the burgers are. I'll have to try that place out too. Dont get in that neck of the woods too often

Sep '14

I remembered to ask my father about it while we were watching the Steelers game yesterday... Burger Queen and Dairy King were in East Stroudsburg. Anyone remember them now?

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

ianimal - That's Eagle Valley. It's the Business 209/447 intersection. That area has been done over and re-done over only to be revamped again. I doubt it was late 70's. I came back to the land of my ancestors in 1978 so I can date what it was like then. The drive in was already long gone but so was at least one of those two places. The other one hung on for a while, but I can't say I would have eaten there given the kitchen conditions. It was probably more likely in the mid-70's when the bowling alley hadn't expanded yet.

Yeah, probably mid-70s... around the time of the bicentennial, I think, which would have made me four going on five.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

Went to Humpty Juniors today...great food...I had the cheese steak sandwich while hubby had the pulled pork ...both come with fries and coleslaw...we also ordered the pierogies after hearing so much about them .... all very good...friendly staff. Will go back.

wonderful wonderful
Sep '14

Burger Queen and Dairy King
these two places stick in my mind but not totatly seeing them but there was a ice icream place on 447 off 0f 209 that I liked in the poconos north of Stroudsburg and in Portland there is a ice cream burger shop north on 611 pa

Sep '14

Caged - Burger Queen/Dairy King were at the big junction of 447 with 209 Business. They were just on the 209 Business side maybe a couple of hundred yards. That area is known as Eagle Valley.

The ice cream stand you're thinking of "north of Stroudsburg" on 447 must be Mary Ann's. Tiny place. Middle of no where. Right before the big 447/191 curve split. Technically still in Stroudsburg, it's Stroud Township.

There is a burger/ ice cream shop just north out of Portland on 611. Nice view of the gap from their parking lot.

Redwing
Sep '14

The ice cream place in Portland going up the hill is Kelly's. That's a fairly modern invention compared to all those other places under discussion.

Finally made it out to Humpty Jr's. Awesome greasy spoon food, everything was great- chili dog, kraut dog, fries, coleslaw. Indy says the ice cream was great too lol.

Next time, I try the burger & onions rings, and a milkshake.

Oct '14

We went there a while back, great burger, great milkshake, need to go back. It's farther down 46 than I thought, wasn't sure if we had passed it or not. Actually tried to go there one other time not realizing they are closed on Mondays (!). I need to remember that.

Brendan Brendan
Oct '14

Another thumbs up for Humpty Jr's.....took a drive out there today and were very pleased. Great burgers, awesome fries, and a huge variety of milkshake flavors. We'll be back. Wonder if they offer carhop service in the summer?

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1
Dec '14

Jimmys ice cream in stroudsburg..he has a new place off 209. Very sociable owner great selections of homemade ice cream. Open all year round..indoor seating

marty mcfly
Jan '15

Finally got to check out Humpty Jr's today with the family for the first time. Two thumbs up.

Everyone loved their milkshakes. 50 flavors! My little one loved her soft serve chocolate cone. I went with the Delaware cheesesteak west coast style. Hold the mayo. Soooo good! (Pictured)

It was a Wednesday evening about 6:30PM and it wasn't crowded at all. Will return soon to checkout the other menu items!!

Humpty's is two thumbs up. Tried the burger n fries, it was Delawaricious. We watched the trucks go by.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '15

strangerdanger - Ask for a chili cheeseburger double chili. Pause just a little and with emphasis say "To Go". Then watch the face you get. ;-)

Unfortunately if you really do go through with that, he'll know who put you up to it.

I love Humpty's..it brings me back to another time. I hope they have great success.

Not comparing at all...but I do miss King Cole's. I loved viewing the Delaware River while eating fries, hotdogs, ice cream and what not. They also had great car shows.

positive positive
Aug '15

Do they have chicken?

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '15

Calico, they have wings, chicken fingers and chicken burgers.

positive positive
Aug '15

Oh I forgot..they have breaded fish filets too.

positive positive
Aug '15

Sweet! Thx positive.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '15

Their menu is here if anyone needs it:

http://www.humptyjuniors.com/menu/

The place I miss the most is Washburns.

Cold Beer, Cheesesteaks, Pierogies, old Jukebox, and Quoits on the deck on a sunny afternoon by the Delaware.

Didn't get any better than that. Come back Tom and Joan!

Quoit Man
Aug '15

Whoa. You mean I can choose between grass-fed oir grain-fed ground chuck? I'm there!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '15

3wbdwnj - In a word, "yes". ;-) Even if that sounds good, don't count out those fries. Come for the grass fed, stay for the Cajun seasoning....

Could you imagine if Humpty's had Hot Dog Johnny's location!! With Humpty's varied menu ( a little something for everyone) talk about a gold mine.....the line of cars would be backed up out onto Rt 46! :-)

That place is already a gold mine grossing 3 million a year . And that was a few years ago , probably more now .

Zombo Zombo
Aug '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.