Gunshots or fireworks in Kenwood?

Anyone hear the 6 blasts in kenwood moments ago?

Njchia Njchia
Aug '14

Yes!!! Sounded like they were from our neighbors backyard. Called the cops at 8:45 and it's 10:15 now. They still haven't shown up. My kids are totally freaked out. My husband thinks it was an M-80.

Benn4 Benn4
Aug '14

"Called the cops at 8:45 and it's 10:15 now. They still haven't shown up."

Need I even make a comment?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '14

We saw fireworks in the Kenwood section driving home from Walmart, on 57. I believe it was around 8:45pm, give or take 5 minutes.

MO Htown MO Htown
Aug '14

Thanks mo

Njchia Njchia
Aug '14

You are welcome NJChia. The fireworks were pretty fancy so I can only imagine how loud they were.

MO H'town MO H'town
Aug '14

Per the Hackettstown PD Facebook page:

**Clarification To A Report Of Gunshots Heard Last Night(8/19/14) In The Kenwood Section Of Town**

The Hackettstown Police Department wants to clarify a misconception that some residents have of a police officer not responding to a report of gunshots heard in the Kenwood Section of town last night (8/19/14). When in fact, a police officer did respond to the area and spoke to several residents. The officer was in the area for approximately 20 minutes and it was determined that the gunshots were actually fireworks.

M & K M & K
Aug '14

You'd think the police officer who responded would have taken the time to stop at the home that called in the complaint and reassured them.

JerryG JerryG
Aug '14

My guess is that the officer had to respond to another call of more importance otherwise he would have gone to see the caller. Give them a break already.

Steve-0 Steve-0
Aug '14

Perhaps there was two different incidents because there was no fancy sparkle with these. It was by the Elks area and totally sounded like M-80 or gunshots. Police never came by our street and we called. My kids kept asking if the police were coming by. They were very scared.

Benn4 Benn4
Aug '14

I live in Kenwood also and heard them. I actually looked at the clock and it was 8:43. It definitely sounded like gunshots, not fireworks.

Mariann Mariann
Aug '14

So if 30-40-50 people called, the police should have gone to every house and held the kids hands? They confirmed there was no threat and moved on. The dispatchers should perhaps have been notified so they could respond to additional calls, but I think its a little silly to think they would visit every caller.

BTW we heard it on Grand Ave, but did not call the police.

Agust Agust
Aug '14

+1 Agust.

darwin darwin
Aug '14

I hear gunshots almost every day near my house. I just assume they are from hunters, and I'm probably right. I never once thought of calling the police.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

While I am not asking someone to hold my kids hands it would've been a comfort to even see them cruise by since it was right in our area. Or perhaps if there were so many calls they could have used their alert text message system. I am constantly getting updates on traffic because of road work or bridge repair.

Benn4 Benn4
Aug '14

Benn4 did you call your neighbors to see if it was them, if they were ok? You said it sounded like it came from their backyard.

darwin darwin
Aug '14

Yes both our neighbors on the one side and across the street came out and my husband checked on the other neighbor a bit after. They also weren't sure if it was fireworks or gunshots. We have woods right behind us so maybe someone was setting them off in that area. The neighbor my husband checked with said he also called to notify police because it sounded like it was in his yard.

Benn4 Benn4
Aug '14

i'm glad you spoke to your neigbors

darwin darwin
Aug '14

I don't get how fireworks are compared to gunshots..

Booster90 Booster90
Aug '14

Where about in kenwood did this happen? I live in Kenwood and did not hear anything

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Aug '14

We are on Mitchell and heard it through the front window while watching tv.

Njchia Njchia
Aug '14

They may be using blasting steel or big rocks at the bridge repair site.
That could be the sound. They are driving piles at the site, and they use diesel compression pistons that are ignited to power drive the pilings.
Maybe it's that.
I haven't heard anything resembling fire crackers or gunshots; and I would, because I am "Shell Shocked" .... Any loud crack will make me aware of firing weapons or explosive devices. I live in Kenwood too.

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '14

I was at my friends house on Jay Ct. I heard the sounds and yes they sounded like gun shots, but I saw it first hand. It was firworks being ignited at the end of James Ct.

It was nothing else. It was fireworks.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.