Fluoride Dangers

I keep hearing about how bad fluoride is for you and it's definitely a concern! I was recently told by my dentist that I have 'soft teeth' and that I will get cavities easily if I don't use fluoride mouthwash and she even prescribed a fluoride toothpaste! I told her that I didn't want to use fluoride and she told me that unless you're drinking it, it's fine. I'm still really hesitant. Does anyone have any recommendations on toothpastes and mouthwashes that don't use fluoride?

JB0103 JB0103
Aug '14

I thought the paranoia about Fluoride stopped when the Cuban missile crisis ended. Pretty much every municipal water supply in America uses fluoride, with out issue for the last 60 years. Additionally most food that you consume is made with water that contains fluoride, because most processed food uses municipal water.

Additionally if you drink bottled water, there is a pretty fair chance it is coming from a municipal water source, guess what that means.

Iodine is toxic if you drink it, but lack of it in your system is also bad which is why most salt is iodized.

Not sure a toothpaste without fluoride exists, good luck.

Agust Agust
Aug '14

Baking Soda powder plus a diluted 1:3 hydrogen peroxide:water 1 minute swish works very well. You can add a drop of peppermint extract to the swish or not.

Don't know what area you're in, but Hackettstown's area that HMUA services doesn't have fluoride.

Fluoride is avoided by people with thyroid problems.

Hope this helps.

redmink1 redmink1
Aug '14

I've heard that Toms toothpaste is good to use. Has anyone used it?

Thank you redmink1....I keep hearing about the laundry list of things fluoride can cause and it's pretty scary!

I found these and they look pretty good...and safe!!
http://www.glamorganicgoddess.com/review-weleda-toothpaste/#comment-3870

JB0103 JB0103
Aug '14

This is too funny! There is actually a Parks & Rec episode about the same topic...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+parks+%26+rec+flouride&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=C35E6D4A581C1B0CCF79C35E6D4A581C1B0CCF79

theolgamer theolgamer
Aug '14

To paraphrase the brilliant (and sadly, late) George Carlin: Adding fluoride to water to strengthen your teeth is like "trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body."

Dentists love to give topical fluoride treatments to amp up their bill.... though it probably does provide some protection. Water companies (at least the really big, professional ones like New Jersey American) will not do it unless required by local ordinance. They say the fluoridating agent, hydrofluorosilicic acid, is pretty nasty stuff.

My unprofessional opinion is that you (and your little ones) get plenty, and probably too much, fluoride exposure using the "recommended amount" of fluoridated toothpaste two or three times a day.

Pediatricians are probably still prescribing those yucky-tasting fluoridated vitamins for babies and toddlers, too.

The "New Jersey Health Officer's Association" is solidly behind mandated fluoridation of all public water supplies in the state.....in case you care about such things. They are also against the sale of unpasteurized milk. In fact, they parrot all the crap the CDC and USDA tell us is so. Grant money, you know....

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Aug '14

I really like Nature's Gate peppermint without fluoride.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.