ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Ok, So who has been nominated for this? I was nominated by a 4 year old!!!! AHHHH

Darrin Darrin
Aug '14

What is ice bucket challenge?

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Aug '14

I have a friend who was nominated by every member in his family.
He graciously agreed to have them dump a bucket of ice/ water on him.
The family loved it!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Aug '14

Pour a bucket of ice water on your head within 24hours of being nominated, tagged, whatever by a friend on a social network, etc, and either do it or donate $100 to ALS-I had to google that just now because I had no idea what it was. I saw it on facebook but thought it was some silly dare like the cinnamon dare or something lol But this challenge is to help fund research. :)

if nominated you're supposed to dump a bucket of ice water over your head and post it somewhere - and then "nominate a few others" to do the same ---you can opt to make a $100 donation to the a specific ALS group instead --- so it's really an awareness and fundraising thing - my 3 year old nephew participated.............and I have the video to show it --apparently it has been done before but this year it has really taken off - which makes it a great idea

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '14

Lots of celebs have been doing it - click link below to see videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ice+bucket+challenge

luvlife
Aug '14

I love going on FB every day and seeing all of the videos.

This one is awesome and goes way beyond the bucket.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AnZK77Hwib8iih0YGf5bnFmbvZx4?p=pittsburgh+steelers+ice+bucket+challenge&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-250&fp=1

I think it's a great way to draw attention to this horrible disease that many no nothing about.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Strange idea, but if its raising money thats a good thing.

Aug '14

*know

Sheesh!!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

I think it is great. Some people has criticized it, but it is working and working well in both awareness and fund raising. Good job on starting something great.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Aug '14

I was nominated by my 5yr old son. Great fundraiser and awareness campaign, and one that is close to my family. $15million raised so far since the challenge started.

darwin darwin
Aug '14

It is a great cause to get awareness out to everyone
I am glad that along with dumping ice cold water on yourself
that people are making donations too.

I have a friend who is suffering from ALS it is such a sad thing to see what she is going through - but again glad for this money to forward research.

Im coping this from my FB page - here is something you may not have know about either:

****I learned something today - SMA is the infantile version of ALS - Debbie Strauss, a very good friend has ALS and little Jackson (Jackson's Journey a facebook page) has SMA.
We need a cure for both - Please pray for a cure and maybe post this on your site so we can get the word out about SMA and maybe get some Celebrity Attention on board.
Our Lord hears our prayers. Hugs to all

*****a note from Jackson's Grandpa
Due to the recent social media viral ice bucket challenge for ALS. I've had several calls and texts regarding the differences between ALS & SMA. I'm not a geneticist. Just a grandfather that has been thrown into this SMA world recently. I know more about SMA than I care to know. I know it has affected our family deeply. Sadly we are not alone. You can google ALS vs SMA and do your own due diligence. From my perspective the horrific end result is the same. We need a cure for both. I have posted on Jackson's Journey the numbers.
In short, SMA is the infantile version of ALS. It is still the number one genetic killer of children under two. Where you place your donations are a personal choice. I have to go with SMA at this time because of how close we are to it. Unfortunately SMA does not have the celebrity attention ALS has at this time and therefore these babies continue to leave us. I'm praying for a cure (for both) but also praying for a athlete, actor, actress, musician, celebrity, anyone of some note to join the SMA challenge for a cure and to bring awareness to this cause. Hope & pray it will be soon.

After completing the ALS challenge, one of my friends posted this additional challenge:

I nominate (insert name here) for the Wine in a Box Challenge (which I just made up). You have to stand outside with some mindless drone behind you who is holding a bucket of ice water. Then, you drink a glass of wine as the drone dumps water on his/her own head. You have two days to do this and nominate others, or you have to drive by and throw money on my lawn. Good luck!!

So much fun! LOL

Coralie Coralie
Aug '14

Some of the videos on FB are hysterical. I was nominated yesterday by my daughter. Unfortunately putting ice cold water on me will probably make my MS spasticity worse so I am going to send in donation. I had 2 family members pass from ALS. It is a horrible disease that is 100% fatal. I have also had a friend who's child passed from SMA as wb stated. What I think is great is the awareness this is bringing! So many people have become aware of it and the money raised so far is tripled from this time last year. Hearing all the negative things on FB about this challenge is sad because people have no idea who is donating or how much is raised. Even out Governor met the challenge and DONATED. $15 million in almost a month? I think the challenge is working.

Christine Christine
Aug '14

Remember Christine, you have 24 hours to make your decision!!!!! It's ice or $100 BUCKS!

Darrin Darrin
Aug '14

I did it. It was funny. Of course I had to make a huge production out of it lol

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Aug '14

I just did it too, wife wouldn't let me put a beer in the bucket to show the mountains were blue though lol, or maybe it was the fact that I wanted to drink the beer before dumping the water

Darrin Darrin
Aug '14

Re: ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

I just don't get it.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '14

Anyone can donate any amount they see fit, but the challenge, if challenged is ice bucket or $100 bucks.

Darrin Darrin
Aug '14

What a great concept to bring awareness to this horrible disease. It makes me very happy that it's getting so much attention now. My dad died at a fairly young age from Lou Gehrig's and let me tell you it is such a painful debilitating disease and it's even very difficult to diagnose.

positive positive
Aug '14

Yikes! Devoted friend who drove viral ‘Ice Bucket Challenge’ dies while celebrating......

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/08/17/when-the-campaign-he-started-to-honor-his-friend-went-viral-he-celebrated-but-his-celebration-took-a-tragic-turn/

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Darrin, My post already says I will donate! DONE.........LOL

Christine Christine
Aug '14

So sad...he sounded like a great young man with a lot of promise.

positive positive
Aug '14

Just think about all those poor ice cubes that gave their life for this challenge. Lets take a moment here. Thank you.

FrankenBeans
Aug '14

I lost a family member to ALS. I think that all of the awareness that the Ice Bucket Challenge is generating, as well as the donations are amazing. Many people are not only doing the Ice Bucket Challenge, but are donating in addition. If any one of the people who are posting negatively on Facebook watched someone they know suffer and pass away from this terrible disease, they would probably have a different opinion.

I totally agree soft and I can't believe that people would have a problem with such an important cause. It's a shame...

FrankenBeans- Not funny at all..If I were you I'd keep my day job or you will wind up living on franks and beans if you try to take up comedy for a living.

positive positive
Aug '14

Ice Bucket Challenge - funny fail. Enjoy~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8kjhmIM9JM

luvlife
Aug '14

Re: ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John C John C
Aug '14

Charlie Sheen dumped $10,000 dollars on his head & donated it and nominated Cryer, Kutcher & Lorre to do the same.

Best one yet.

http://uproxx.com/music/2014/08/dave-grohl-ice-bucket-challenge-foo-fighters/

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

What's the point of wasting the water though? What's that have to do with ALS? Why not share a video about the actual disease and challenge someone to share that or donate? or better yet...why not just donate out of the goodness of your heart instead of doing some stupid stunt?

concernedparent concernedparent
Aug '14

It's amazing that people can actually find things to complain about regarding raising money for an excellent cause.

The ice bucket challenge has raised over 15 million dollars for ALS in the last month in comparison to the 1.2 or 1.3 million raised for ALS all of last year. It has brought a great deal of awareness about this disease that some had never heard of before.

I guess no good deed goes unpunished. Sigh.....

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

+1 Calico

luvlife
Aug '14

Not complaining...just don't see why people need to force people into donating rather than educate them as to WHY they should donate instead. I respect your choice to participate...respect mine not to.

Aug '14

I dont see the purpose of dumping water on yourself to raise money, BUT if its raising money, then its a good thing.

Aug '14

what research group does the money go to?

heni peni
Aug '14

@heni peni - Below is the ALS Association website - you can browse thru there to determine what particular "research group" they work with - Tab titled "Our Research" . . . . however, I believe all donations are going directly to the ALS Association.

http://www.alsa.org/

luvlife
Aug '14

GEEZ the ice bucket challenge is suppose to be a fun way to raise $ for a noble cause. The purpsoe is that it is FUN! People are getting a kick out of seeing their friend's videos. Heck even most of the kids are doing it and having fun nominating their friends and then watching their videos.

It's a more fun way of raising money then wearing those plastic wristbands that no one know which color is for which cause. Donations are up 4000% from last yr. Waste water? That has to be the stupidest thing i have ever heard.

No one is forcing you to donated concernedparent, if you have a friend that nominates you you can quietly decline and not donate. No one is harrassing anyone who has been nominated to do the challenge or to confirm they donated.

darwin darwin
Aug '14

I think it's great...why.....because it's working on so many levels

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '14

The bad part is do a little research about how much money the people for the ALS fundraiser are making off of this. A fraction of the money raised actually goes to the charity. The head guy is making $300,000 a year

I do agree though that it has been a great way to raise awareness and my mother-in-law just completed her challenge today :-)

Darrin Darrin
Aug '14

ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27

The 27-year-old's life was cut tragically short on Saturday (16 August) when he dove off a wharf that serves as a popular diving perch for locals, resurfacing once before disappearing back under the water and drowning.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/als-ice-bucket-challenge-cofounder-corey-griffin-drowns-aged-27-9681129.html

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Aug '14

Darrin, look up information on charities, you'd be surprised.

UNICEF : 10% of money generated goes to actual causes
I think the Red Cross is somewhere around 20%. I'm not sure if that factor includes the millions in money they've had disappear over the years, with ambiguous responses to inquiries about money allocation like "it was used to fight the war on terror".

Puppydad Puppydad
Aug '14

Puppydad, absolutely, its almost depressing that some of the founders or CEOs take that much money from what the actual cause is, makes you wonder what their reasons for starting the charity actually are.

Darrin Darrin
Aug '14

Absolutely correct LeRoy. Calico posted the demise of the cofounder a couple days ago.

This fundraiser has gone viral and has accumulated much needed money towards research to try to find a cure to a horrific disease. Of course the skepticism and negativity has to rear it's ugly head...very sad.

positive positive
Aug '14

The crass and inane comments I see here and on Facebook break my heart. I wish people would think before they say things!!

My brother was diagnosed with ALS in 2011 at the age of 37, one year after the birth of his son. At first the disease progressed slowly, now age 40, he is strictly using walker around the house and scooter outside. His speech is severely comprised.

I am thankful for the ice bucket challenge as it has led to direct donations to my brother!! Tonight, my 81 year old mother actually did the challenge!!

For those who don't want to waste water (smh) or donate to ALS organization, PM me and I will send you a link to read my brother's story and option to donate directly to my brother for his exorbitant medical needs!!

Ok, enough of my rant.

Lifeistooshort Lifeistooshort
Aug '14

I have zero interest in having a debate with anyone about embryonic stem cell research. But for those of you who find it objectionable consider donating here. http://jp2mri.org/

Denis Denis
Aug '14

There's a great documentary on Netflix about "cause marketing" called Pink Ribbons, Inc. that focuses on the hypocrisy of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, but it could just as easily be about any charity dedicated to raising money this way. Autism Speaks is a very nasty example of this.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pink_ribbons_inc/

http://youtu.be/3QPZfcYTUaA

http://www.boycottautismspeaks.com/

Aug '14

It's not the donation part that I am against...I just feel there's a safer way to raise awareness. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Unfortunately when people start these types of stunts, others take it too far...the need to be bigger and better than the rest. As a result...things like this happen...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/21/us/firefighters-ice-bucket-challenge/

Aug '14

Taking my plunge this morning at 9 am out on Main Street... Honk if ya see us!!! Next door to Stella G's

Shad dog Shad dog
Aug '14

Thats just dumb on the part of the fire dept. Imo.

Christine Christine
Aug '14

Donations are up to $41.8 Million per ALS Homepage!! Agree with Christine - people need to be cautious and aware of their surroundings when performing this fund raising event, water and electric don't mix!

luvlife
Aug '14

concernedparent

Bad things happen, or as some say sh!!!t happens. You can't condem something that for once, has so many people trying to do a good thing. You are trying to spread negativity where there should be none. So what, an accident happened. They happen every day because we are humans and make mistakes. This shouldn't negate the good things that people try to do.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Aug '14

for all those concerned about wasting water, we did our bucket challenges on our dry lawn which was very grateful.

Poppy Girl
Aug '14

ALS ice bucket challenged raised $100million dollars!!! Probably the biggest fund raising idea since the Lance Armstrong Livestrong bracelets.

Thank you all that had fun with the challenge and donated.

http://mashable.com/2014/08/29/ice-bucket-challenge-100-million/

darwin darwin
Aug '14

Fire captain injured in Ice Bucket Challenge dies

Read more: http://www.wcvb.com/news/fire-captain-injured-in-ice-bucket-challenge-dies/28168874#ixzz3Duau5mkv

At least he didn't die in vain.

Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.