What are free things (or cheap things) to do for fun in the area?

I know of Stephens State Park and the scenic overlook on I-80. They are both awesome. Is there anything else fun to do in the area that doesn't cost much that takes less than 45 minutes to get to?

By the way - I just moved to HKTWN a few months ago, I love how it's a small community yet it has everything you could need. It's great here and I love it.
And I just found these forums the other day and it's great as well.

AnthonyB AnthonyB
Aug '14

look at the events on the right side of the page - also we have a great library on 46 and jenny jump state park in hope

Skippy Skippy
Aug '14

This afternoon in Oxford at Shippen Manor at 5 they will be holding another outdoor Summer concert. Bring your lawn chairs and food and drink if you want (no alcoholic beverages) and it is all free...

joyful joyful
Aug '14

Welcome to Hackettstown, Anthony!

PS 1/2 price movie tickets at Bow Ties on Tuesdays. :)

Going South, there's always Cataract Park, Rock Spring Park and Schooley's Mountain Park. To the Southwest, there's Point Mountain (Rt. 57, then hang left at the light at the intersection next to the Mansfield Schools and Twp. Complex (Rt. 645 - Point Mt. Rd. It's on the left just after you go over the river).

By the way, I'm not sure how many people know about it, but the United Astronomy Clubs of NJ, Inc. maintains an observatory at their facility at Jenny Jump and has a number of public programs that are free of charge (though donations are both accepted and welcomed). They have special viewing events as well as lectures:

http://www.uacnj.org/page.php?13

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '14

Street Fair is Sep 14th

My oh my, Oxford looks much nicer now.

Try this one. Go to Columbia and head for the residential neighborhood on the river just off 46, just after the bridge (going West), and just before 80 and 94. Hard to find but just avoid 80, 94, and the bridge...... Once in the neighborhood, hug the river and at the nw corner there is a walking bridge. Park and walk across the river to PA; it's a hoot. EZ parking.

You can get to it from the PA side by crossing the bridge and heading North to Portand (one block from the bridge); it's on the right. But you have to pay a toll.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Aug '14

There's the Allamuchy Natural Area (2,440 acres) off Route 517. Lots of trails and access to Deer Park Pond.

The Delaware Water Gap, 20 minutes west of here, off 80 West.

Swartswood Lake State Park in Newton. Maybe about 40 minutes. Boat rentals, too.

Alstede Farms in Chester and Donaldson Farms in Mansfield.

I could go on and on...

Oh, and welcome to the area.

Also, don't know if you have kiddos but that's a whole other topic of things-to-do on the cheap.

Hiking at Hacklebarney State Park in Chester, then apple cider at the cider mill. Or drive to PA to Bushkill Falls.

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Aug '14

Crater Lake and Blue Mountain Lake.....both free and so pretty.

There is also a pretty neat park/playground (if you have children), called Horse-shoe lake, I think it's in Succasunna?

OH and great fun swimming at Mt. Lake..........free, opens at noon, lifeguards and they even have a couple of buckets of beach toys for anyone to use.

abbadabbadoooo abbadabbadoooo
Aug '14

Welcome to our town and now its your town. ;) Go for walks by the college and on Moore Street. Simply gorgeous. Go to events at the college. The Moore Street market is up and running on Saturday's. The shops on Main Street. Listen to WNTI 91.9 on the radio or www.wnti.org on the web. A wonderful radio station. Just check out this forum and talk to the locals. Its a wonderful town. welcome aboard.

Singlemaleinnj Singlemaleinnj
Aug '14

Crater Lake and Blue Mountain Lake.....both free and so pretty.

^
^
this!

MrCharlie2
Aug '14

I don't know if you have kids but Land Of Make Believe in Hope is a lot of fun...My daughter is 23 years old and we still go there and have a great time. It's $25 per adult, but you can bring your own food and it's an all day outing.

Maybe about 45 minutes travel, but the Pocono's has many places to go to, such as Camelback and Bushkill Falls (actually I was there today and it is quite beautiful, $12.50 an adult).

The Hackettstown Pool, Belvidere Pool ( I don't know the prices of the pools but I remember they were reasonable), Merrill Creek is a beautiful park about 15 to 20 minutes away (no cost). The Lakota Wolf Preserve in Columbia ($16 an adult)..love that place.

If you are interested in any of the above I can post links for more info and directions.

positive positive
Aug '14

abba- I feel foolish asking this question, but where is Crater Lake and Blue Mountain Lake?

positive positive
Aug '14

Mt. Lake in Liberty Township is free. Open through Labor Day.

We're working on a walking tour of HKTWN - care to be our guinea pig when it's done?

trekster3- trekster3-
Aug '14

Positive, They are in Walpack Township. Here is a link that shows where they are and how to get to them.

http://www.njwildlifetrails.org/SkylandsTrails/Sites/tabid/445/Scope/site/Guide/SKYLANDS/Site/156/Default.aspx

Also, on the way to Crater Lake there is a beautiful scenic overlook area.........Also they are very close to the Appalachian Trail.

abbadabbadoooo abbadabbadoooo
Aug '14

Anthony - just spotted this on a friends FB Page -

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
On Saturday, August 23, two special programs will be held to celebrate the National Park Service’s 98th Birthday.

A ranger-led hike to Lookout Rock along the Mt. Minsi trail will start at 9:00 am. Meet at the trailhead and bring water, sunscreen, insect repellent, and wear sturdy shoes.

A little later in the morning, Girls Fish Too!, a girls, youth fishing program will be held from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm at Hidden Lake Picnic Area. This open house style event will introduce girls to fishing basics and fish identification. Equipment is provided or you may bring your own. A Pennsylvania fishing license is required for anyone 16 years of age and older.

For more information on either program, call 908-496-4458 #NPSBirthday

trekster3- trekster3-
Aug '14

Thanks abba, they both sound great...I'm definitely putting them on my "To Do" list.

positive positive
Aug '14

A lot of good outdoor parks. Morris County has a very good website highlighting the various areas. Warren county has more space but lacks a county website (probably a good idea to keep costs down). Might want to try XC skiing for the next few days as the cover will be there in the higher elevations...

Build a snowman ❄️

Hack in town Hack in town
Nov '14

Columbia trail in Flanders!! Def Check out hacklebarney park and alstede farms!

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Nov '14

Allentown Art Museum is free on Sunday from noon-4pm.
Enjoy!

hapiest girl
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.