Any great restaurants in Lancaster, PA?

Hey all,
Taking a trip to Lancaster and was hoping to get some restaurant recommendations for GREAT food in that area. We've done Shady Maple, Plain and Fancy and Millers but are only going to be there two nights so I really wanted opinions from people on here because many of the locals out there recommended places where we found the food to be just fair, nothing great. For breakfast, lunch or dinner! I know we are food snobs Lol thanks for your advice!

Mintyfresh Mintyfresh
Aug '14

We ate at Dienners Restaurant in Ronks, always busy.

Sherry Sherry
Aug '14

Good and Plenty is a great restaurant in that area, really enjoyed it, good down-home type of food and lots of it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

We like this one especially for breakfast.
"Bird In Hand Family Restaurant" .....
The smogasbord is my favorite. It's on 340 Old Phila. Pike just before Ronks Rd. heading East.

http://www.bird-in-hand.com/places-to-eat/bird-in-hand-family-restaurant-smorgasbord/

There was one we went to, and I think it was Good and Plenty....I didn't like it, because it was Family Style, and they seat you / or did seat us shall I say, with like 8 other people.
Unluckily we had a table with three young kids included. Screaming, snot nosed, and unruly, and the parents were just as bad. For me and the wife, it was a crappy experience.
It would have been better, eating pop corn at the zoo, while watching the monkey's pick at each others @$$es looking for pieces of undigested peanuts.

Another nice place is the Fulton Steam Boat Inn on cr. Rt30E and rt 860 in Strasburg.
Nice Atmosphere... and a great Bar.... One of very Few Bars in the area.
Great staff and servers.
We usually stay there at the Inn...so I could get 1/2 "S"-faced, and can just go to my room, and climb into my crib without having to drive.

embryodad embryodad
Aug '14

Bube Brewery about 15 mins away in Mount Joy. Make sure you dine in the catacombs!

http://bubesbrewery.com/

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Aug '14

Ate at Shady Maple, despite my misgivings about the place being another CHFO (concentrated human feeding operation) like the Golden Corral, et. al.

It pretty much was, though a teeny bit more upscale.

Plenty of comfort food, soda and coffee, with a little Jesus mixed in. Looked like a lot of people whose priorities were the aforementioned....stuffing their faces while thinking "to hell with my blood sugar or doctor's orders!"

No beer or other coping fluid for miles around, which helped it live up to my initial misgivings.

Wish I could've cut out of the group I was in and went to Bube's....

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Aug '14

We enjoyed eating in the catacombs at Bube's!

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Aug '14

We ate at a place in Lancaster the last time we were down there, four or five years ago. It was in the basement of an old cork factory... I think it was called the Cork and Bottle, but that doesn't seem exactly right either. The food was very good but definitely not at smorgasbord prices. I think dinner for two ran us about a buck and a half, but we had cocktails and a bottle of wine, so teetotalers can get off much more cheaply.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '14

I've been to Cork and Cap in Lancaster, that may be the one you mean.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

That's the one, Andy... thanks.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '14

Totally agree with two others...Bube's brewery is amazing!!! And the atmosphere is super cool under the ground!

Just Saying... Just Saying...
Aug '14

Re: Any great restaurants in Lancaster, PA?

We found some neat evidence when we investigated Bubes on Ghosthunters. I now make it a point to stop in there every week. You might try the Iron Horse Inn in Strasburg. The food is great and the staff is very efficient. Beth the weekday barmaid has some great drink specials.

John C John C
Aug '14

Out there Smorgasbord's are a big thing. I love going to Miller's, just a few miles outside Lancaster.

Bryan Bryan
Aug '14

Dienners Restaurant in Ronks, right on Route 30 East just pass Millers. We always eat there when in that area.

GeneK GeneK
Aug '14

There are LOTS of great little places to eat in Lancaster City! Rachel's Creperie, RobBurritos and the Federal Tap House to name a few. Don't limit yourself to Amish Country - Lancaster City is a great place to eat, drink and shop!

HHS fan HHS fan
Aug '14

Check out the Fireside Tavern in Stasburg...excellent food and great atmosphere!

Curiousmom
Aug '14

We just went last weekend and love Dienners for breakfast and Iron Horse Inn for dinner. We also did Shady Maple and Millers again.
The filet at the Iron Horse was excellent and I ordered a Thanksgiving Sangria that was on the drink specials menu and it was amazing! We will be making more trips out there so we are going to try the other recommendations we saw on here. Thanks everyone! Happy Thanksgiving!

Mintyfresh Mintyfresh
Nov '14

Staying at Lancaster Host on 30 for the Thanksgiving holiday. Not a bad place to stay in a prime central location. Had a great Thanksgiving buffet that included lots of fresh seafood, prime rib, turkey, kids buffet and spectacular desserts.

Denise Denise
Nov '14

I just called the Iron Horse Inn and they are permanently closed until they find a new owner. We really loved that place! :-(

Mintyfresh Mintyfresh
May '15

Re: Any great restaurants in Lancaster, PA?

My sister is the owner of the old Iron Horse Inn. It is currently closed since she also owns a B&B in Strasburg and did not have time to run both. There is an offer on the table and they may reopen soon. In the meantime we hang at the Revere Tavern in Paradise where the staff that worked the Iron Horse currently got jobs.

John C John C
May '15

Thanks John C, will check out the Revere Tavern and crossing my fingers about Iron Horse reopening!

mintyfresh mintyfresh
May '15

Had a great dinner at Fireside Tavern, thanks for the recommendation Curiousmom! The Tomato Bisque soup was awesome, and the prime rib was perfectly cooked. Going again to that area again soon and will try Bube's (although my pronunciation sounds like my 6 yr olds description of female anatomy!) thanks for all the feedback! :-)

Mintyfresh Mintyfresh
Jun '15

http://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord/

Shady mother effing maple my friend

skippy skippy
Jun '15

I second shady maple! It's an experience!

Oh,, Shady Maple Smorgasbord is kind of disgusting! The food is very good and there is so much variety, but... People stuff themselves because its all you can eat and it reminds me of a feeding frenzy!

The last time we were there a child walking past me with plate heaped with desserts stopped, bent over and vomited on the floor. I won't go there again, it's just a sad comment on human nature.

In Intercourse PA, there is a butcher called Stoltzfus' and they also have a farm restaurant up the road that serves delicious home style food. In Bird In Hand there is another family style place called Plain and Fancy farm restaurant near the Amish View Hotel.

hktownie hktownie
Jun '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.