Parking an RV/Camper & Questions

After years of camping in tents I am thinking about finally buying either a tow behind camper or possibly an RV. My biggest concern is where to park and store it. Can you park an RV or camper in the street? If not, does anyone have suggestions about where to store it and cost?

Also, any feedback or suggestions from owners would be great! Thanks!

Happy Camper
Aug '14

As for can you park it in the street, call your local PD. You did not state what town you are in. Also you would be getting the answer "straight from the horse's mouth"

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Aug '14

If you are "allowed" to semi-permanently park a trailer/RV on the street, I'd still advise against it.

Even on a residential street it would be at more risk of vandalism, getting hit by passing cars/snow plows, and just being an eyesore for your neighbors. Parking it there for a few days on a weekend or getting it ready for a trip is no problem but if it doesn't fit in your driveway or side yard I'd say either stick with the tent or find a pay lot somewhere for long term storage.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '14

Which township makes a big difference. And depending, it may matter whether it's a separate unit like a trailer or is an RV that you can drive on its own. Besides the town, there are some developments with rules as well. Without knowing where you live, that's not easy to answer.

I live in Hackettstown. The neighbors and safety are an important consideration. I've seen a tow behind and an RV parked on a daily basis on the side streets. I will check with the PD as well as use the feedback from owners.

Happy Camper
Aug '14

Most storage places rent to campers etc.

Christine Christine
Aug '14

Happy Camper - Definitely check with the PD because Hackettstown is very different from Mansfield, Independence, or Long Valley. Because of the tight residential streets there are some permit areas, and a while ago they redid some of the rules about trailers while they did the winter parking rule revision. That involved some language about whether it was self powered or not, but I think they were also trying to avoid RV's. Definitely better ask about that.

Happy Camper, Not sure if you've called the PD or not, but I live in H'Town and I have a camper (23' Travel Trailer), and I had it on the street for a few days and a neighbor called the cops to complain. I only kept it on the street for a day or two after each trip to pack and unpack. Nothing long-term. The police officer that came to my door was very friendly and told me about the town ordinance (and he gave me a copy) against having campers/RVs, anything that could be considered a dwelling, on the street. The time limit was 3 hours for emergencies only. Now the cop really didn't want to be giving me this news, as it was clear that my nice camper wasn't bothering anyone, and someone called them at 5 am complain...but oh well. They don't seem to enforce the rule unless someone complains, which is fine by me. I store it elsewhere normally, anyway, so I just moved it. I have a copy of the ordinance, if you want to see it. Hope this helps.

Bikester Bikester
Jan '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.